gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680788 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:56:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Look Back with 'Wendy' - another MIC teaser!  (Read 6292 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »

Strange that they would release this of all things. Wendy is a mystery song for me. It never really was a hit, and it is often forgotten yet I feel it is continually pushed to the public to appear more than what it actually was. Hell, I'd take Barbara Ann over this song anyday regardless if it's the studio version or an unheard BBC live cut from 1964...

this is a mystery quote for me.

Wendy is a Brian Wilson classic... an early example of more sophisticated songwriting, harmonies, and "deceptively sunny melancholy" as the article states.

and Carl's solo is fine.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »

This isn't a straight live recording though surely? Mike's voice is sounds doubletracked. Not just Mike, Brian too.

OK, I've read the other thread now. Perhaps they could be merged?

Really enjoying this though. From the buzz of that bass in the intro through  Carl's solo (which sounds straight off a Joe Meek record) and to that last twang. Fantastic!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:43:17 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »

This isn't a straight live recording though surely? Mike's voice is sounds doubletracked. Not just Mike, Brian too.

Really enjoying this though. From the buzz of that bass in the intro through  Carl's solo (which sounds straight off a Joe Meek record) and to that last twang. Fantastic!

I think they're just singing in unison along w/ Mike.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »

Really sounds overdubbed to me. There's another thread lower down with this info.....

Most BBC sessions weren't (and aren't to this day) actually live. They were typically recorded, very quickly (and usually "live" in the sense of being recorded all at once, vocals and instruments, directly to two track) in the BBC's own studios several days before being actually broadcast. By 1964 it was even typical for them to feature simple (usually vocal) overdubs like the ones on Wendy here. I'm writing a book about the history of BBC sessions, so we've stumbled on my area of expertise here!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »

Really enjoying this though. From the buzz of that bass in the intro through  Carl's solo (which sounds straight off a Joe Meek record) and to that last twang. Fantastic!

Really sounds overdubbed to me. There's another thread lower down with this info.....

Most BBC sessions weren't (and aren't to this day) actually live. They were typically recorded, very quickly (and usually "live" in the sense of being recorded all at once, vocals and instruments, directly to two track) in the BBC's own studios several days before being actually broadcast. By 1964 it was even typical for them to feature simple (usually vocal) overdubs like the ones on Wendy here. I'm writing a book about the history of BBC sessions, so we've stumbled on my area of expertise here!

Makes a lot of sense… didn't the BBs sometimes take advantage of the facilities of sessions such as this to record instrumental tracks then overdub/double track the vox/backing vox?

Haven't been able to listen yet… wonder what tomorrow's track will be?

“We live in divisive times.”
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 03:37:35 PM »

I've been listening to so much post-1976 BB/BW solo stuff lately that I was knocked out by Brian and Mike's vocals on this track. They are so smooth, young, and emotional. Those two vocal performances by Brian and Mike epitomize why they were the greatest vocal group ever. Incomparable. They get you every time. This version and the studio version are different enough to enjoy/value both!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 05:42:47 PM »

At the very end (1:54ish) Denny plays a great little pick-up that has his crazy smash-cymbal-then-silence-cymbal thing that he does, like in Surfin USA...Love it!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:26 PM »

Strange that they would release this of all things. Wendy is a mystery song for me. It never really was a hit, and it is often forgotten yet I feel it is continually pushed to the public to appear more than what it actually was. Hell, I'd take Barbara Ann over this song anyday regardless if it's the studio version or an unheard BBC live cut from 1964...

It all comes down to its inclusion on Endless Summer.  A LOT of people bought that album when it came out so a good number of people are as familiar with it as a good chunk of the early hits.  The band also played it on many TV appearances around the time of it's release (and later).
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 10:47:17 PM »

Definitely more evidence for my theory that Carl was never a great lead guitarist.
(Very impressed by his rhythm guitar and his ability to play complex chords and sing awesome vocals at the same time)

d00d was only 18 at the time of this recording. Give 'im a break, Grow-Hee. Cry
eh his studio solos ain't much betta thanx

Your last phrase is definitely evidence for my theory that you're pretty biased.  From your spelling I take it you're related to Awldsyrfahdood?

If your spelling is a reaction to runner's "Grow-Hee", I take my previous phrase back.

Carl was only 17 when he played that BBC thing. And I'd like to see a 16 year old who can crank out something like "Surf Jam".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Nicko1234
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 12:21:50 AM »

Being the pedant that I am I think the BBC tracks would have fit perfectly well on disc 1 in this set. This would have freed up room for some more unreleased gems on disc 6.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:01 AM »

Being the pedant that I am I think the BBC tracks would have fit perfectly well on disc 1 in this set. This would have freed up room for some more unreleased gems on disc 6.

Agreed though I wonder how late in the compilation process they surfaced? Must be about a year ago that Hushabye was heard on the radio in the UK but the box was already in the works at that time. Would different discs be signed off at different times?

scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 02:23:16 AM »

Wendy has always been a favourite Beach Boys track of mine, and I really enjoy this live version, warts and all. I just love the melody and the singing, and this tune has always been in my top 20 Beach Boys songs.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:32 AM »

Agreed though I wonder how late in the compilation process they surfaced? Must be about a year ago that Hushabye was heard on the radio in the UK but the box was already in the works at that time. Would different discs be signed off at different times?

Last year "Hushabye" from these sessions was played on BBC Radio. They said it had just surfaced. But I don't know if BRI or Capitol or whoever does these things already had it then

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 03:08:07 AM »

Last year "Hushabye" from these sessions was played on BBC Radio. They said it had just surfaced. But I don't know if BRI or Capitol or whoever does these things already had it then

Just looked it up -  July last year was when it was broadcast.

I make that seven "leaks" now:

Wendy (BBC)
Hushabye (BBC)
Wild Honey (live)
Help Me Rhonda (live)
Where is She (studio)
Goin' To The Beach (two versions)
California Feelin'

That it so far?

Gohi
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 04:48:19 AM »

Definitely more evidence for my theory that Carl was never a great lead guitarist.
(Very impressed by his rhythm guitar and his ability to play complex chords and sing awesome vocals at the same time)

Your last phrase is definitely evidence for my theory that you're pretty biased.  From your spelling I take it you're related to Awldsyrfahdood?

If your spelling is a reaction to runner's "Grow-Hee", I take my previous phrase back.

Carl was only 17 when he played that BBC thing. And I'd like to see a 16 year old who can crank out something like "Surf Jam".
That's just how Runners and I talk sometimes. I would never call Bruce Brooth or Mike Myke.

Never been a big fan of Carl's solos, that's all. Not trashing him. I even gave him credit for his rhythm work. Not saying he's a bad guitarist or something. I know he was very young in this performance but I've not seen a solo of his I liked in the decades after this performance. Oh well he was great at tons of other stuff.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 05:37:40 AM »

I've uploaded the MP3 to here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2z6lly

I really like the solo but for me the vocals are outstanding

I wonder what will appear next? Grin
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »

Thanks again, Cliff! BBC Wendy's a good gift for my Winamp. First off, I like the studio cut - it's not near my favorite by The BBs, but it's still a nice little song. Now, upon hearing this newly found "old" version, I can tell you with big certainty that I prefer it to the former. Never heard the more detuned & offbeat guitar (solo) & I dig it. Let's say, it's cool in a weird way. The intro is very garage-rockish. As to the vocals, they're as usual are A-1! Somehow, the full tone (from C --> B) lower key works well. Conclusion: of all the leaked MaICal tracks, Wendy is the best imo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »

Thanks again, Cliff! BBC Wendy's a good gift for my Winamp. First off, I like the studio cut - it's not near my favorite by The BBs, but it's still a nice little song. Now, upon hearing this newly found "old" version, I can tell you with big certainty that I prefer it to the former. Never heard the more detuned & offbeat guitar (solo) & I dig it. Let's say, it's cool in a weird way. The intro is very garage-rockish. As to the vocals, they're as usual are A-1! Somehow, the full tone (from C --> B) lower key works well. Conclusion: of all the leaked MaICal tracks, Wendy is the best imo.

No worries!
I think of all the leaked tracks, Wild Honey is still my favourite. I played it last night to some friends who absolutely loved it and asked who it was. The response was  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »

Carl's solo is okay, but it's Al who plays a wrong chord in the middle of the solo, which makes it sound bad.

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »

Carl's solo is okay, but it's Al who plays a wrong chord in the middle of the solo, which makes it sound bad.

I don't mind this error. It makes them human Wink

This reminds me of the Lost Concert when Al also makes a mistake during In My Room. The look on Carl and Brian's faces is priceless Grin
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:15:37 PM by SonicVolcano » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 12:46:31 AM »

That's just how Runners and I talk sometimes. I would never call Bruce Brooth or Mike Myke.

Never been a big fan of Carl's solos, that's all. Not trashing him. I even gave him credit for his rhythm work. Not saying he's a bad guitarist or something. I know he was very young in this performance but I've not seen a solo of his I liked in the decades after this performance. Oh well he was great at tons of other stuff.

Thanks for clarification. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx