gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:15:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian interviewed by NY Times for "Be My Baby" 50th  (Read 2497 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/movies/be-my-baby-a-hit-single-with-staying-power.html?hpw&_r=0

No surprises here...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 01:20:24 AM »

"Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys estimates that he’s heard “Be My Baby,” by the Ronettes, more than 1,000 times."

Well...that's a <ahem> conservative estimate. Does he mean 1000x per year?
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 01:23:52 AM »

I'm surprised they never did a proper attempt at the song. I know there is an outtake doing the rounds, but I find it 'meh' in terms of production and vocals.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »

BW: In the 1970's I used to lie around the house all day in a drug induced haze listening to Be My Baby over and over again at full volume. It used to drive my wife and kids nuts, often they'd have to go out when they couldn't take it anymore. I only wish Phil had made the record longer so I didn't have to keep getting up off my fat ass to put the needle back every 3 minutes, or that they'd invented CD players much sooner so I could just stick it on repeat. In the end I made sure I always kept the mirror and blade right next to the system so I could at least kill two birds with one stone.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:59:07 AM »

I guess you had to be there in the early sixties... It sure is a nice song and production, and the echo is indeed luxurious, but I've never really got it's greatness, I mean it's not that amazing... River Deep - Mountain High, now there's a proper Phil Spector epic!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
modestmaus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:22:50 AM »

I guess you had to be there in the early sixties... It sure is a nice song and production, and the echo is indeed luxurious, but I've never really got it's greatness, I mean it's not that amazing... River Deep - Mountain High, now there's a proper Phil Spector epic!

Ha. I was just about to reply with something similar. I understand why "Be My Baby" gets the recognition it does, it's certainly more well known and popular then "River Deep - Mountain High" and one could argue it's more 'important' as well but putting aside things like popularity and historical importance I simply think RD-MH is Phil Spector's greatest production work.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:07 AM »

RD-MH is Phil Spector's greatest production work.

Damn straight, and the man himself has said something along those lines.

The one that's touched me the most is End of the Century by The Ramones. Universally hated it may be, but I love it to death. My first Ramones-album, and it did change my life.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:59 AM »

Give me Walking in the Rain over both of them.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:13:36 AM »

Gotta admit I like neither Be My Baby nor River Deep Mountain High, though if forced to choose between the 2 inferiorities I'd vote for the latter. Tina has much stronger voice, easy as this. Honestly, I don't catch what's good about their arrangements, melodies & everything. Tried & tried but failed to find at least minimal coolness on both songs. Plus I think that Phil Spector (as well as his so-called "Wall of Sound") is overrated. Brian definitely outshone his "master". His skillful arranging work varies from one track to another, it's always sth. completely different & unique, not to mention unconventional & fresh, even nowadays.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 07:32:21 AM »

The backing track for RD-MH is stunning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mPegxOd3t8

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »

'Be My Baby' is my favorite Spector production, actually, followed closely by 'I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine' and 'Da Doo Ron Ron'.

'River Deep Mountain High' does have a spectacular track, but BMB is unbeatable. It's not just the really cool backing track, with those epic drums, great percussion, etc. but also the sweet vocal by Ronnie. It has everything.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »

The backing track for RD-MH is stunning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mPegxOd3t8

It is great, isn't it?. Love to have some of these Spector tracks in better fidelity.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »

"She recounts being flown out to Los Angeles as a teenager from Spanish Harlem to record the song at Ocean Way Studios on Santa Monica Boulevard".

I always thought they recorded "Be My Baby" at Gold Star.

Anyway, I love the stereo version!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 09:45:11 AM »

BW: In the 1970's I used to lie around the house all day in a drug induced haze listening to Be My Baby over and over again at full volume. It used to drive my wife and kids nuts, often they'd have to go out when they couldn't take it anymore. I only wish Phil had made the record longer so I didn't have to keep getting up off my fat ass to put the needle back every 3 minutes, or that they'd invented CD players much sooner so I could just stick it on repeat. In the end I made sure I always kept the mirror and blade right next to the system so I could at least kill two birds with one stone.

Never saw that one before. Where/when was that interview? Brian was snortin' hog rails like a pig with the mirror and blade next to the record player for convenience so every time he got up to put the record on........damn, he was doing a lot of coke!!  Grin Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 12:58:41 PM »

I love the live rendition by Brian & band on Live At The Roxy Theatre. Listening
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »

the 2 inferiorities

can I steal this for a band name?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx