gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:55:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Wild Honey (New Jersey 1972)" from MIC previewed on Yahoo Music  (Read 12557 times)
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »

Here you go guys....as an mp3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4qzdr0

I've been listening to this all morning along with Rhonda-I'm not sure I'll make it to the weekend for this boxset!

Cool!  Cool Guy

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »

Funny, "Wild Honey" is probably in my top 5 Carl vocal performances and I love the f*** out of the theremin in this version and wish it hadn't been mixed so low. TELL ME I'M NOT ALONE Cry

You are NOT alone! I love Carl's performance on WH and also miss the tannerin on the 1972 live version. Even so, this live version is a winner, imho.

Love "Wild Honey" Love

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:26:46 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 03:23:49 AM »

This version of Wild Honey is the kind of track you play to your friends who think The Beach Boys were un-hip and made saccharine filled tunes and nothing else. QUite simply mind-blowing and a reminder why The Beach Boys are our favourite band.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2013, 04:17:51 AM »

Somehow forgot about WH-1972. Once again, words of thanking go to Cliff for uploading this file. Good job!

Now to the nitty-gritty. 1st, the song's intro is totally epic, notwithstanding it's similar to that of L.A.'s Here Comes the Night. 2nd point: at 1st, I didn't like Blondie's howling vocs at all (the only time I thought so, otherwise I consider him a great singer!), but on the 3rd-5th listen it kind of grew on getting used to it. I think now, after 10 listens or so, that Blondie did great performance! Cool extended falsettos! About live arrangement: going by memory, it seems to be the only case when the BBs song has 2 guitar solos (each of which is terrific in their own different style). Electronic spacey sounds surely added something, especially combined with the rest set of instruments &, of course, Blondie's voice. Also, some posters complained about silence of theremin & to me, the synth helped solving it. Actually, it worked better than the former, 'twas no less psychedelic substitute. I generally like when the artists do their numbers on stage not just how it was done in the studio, but change-challenging them in one or another way. So, I don't regret the sonically low/lack of theremin.

All in all, to sum up the aforementioned, this is a great version! In itself. Without comparing it to Carl's classic. Btw, speaking of that, I'm a fan of anything (except Girl Don't Tell Me & All Dressed Up for School) sung by Carl in the 60s. And Wild Honey, along with How She Boogalooed It, is his crown achievement, very rocking!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx