gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680798 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:14:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Wild Honey (New Jersey 1972)" from MIC previewed on Yahoo Music  (Read 12618 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »

In general, I prefer piano-driven over guitar-driven and I feel they sacrificed a lot of the original version's quirky qualities in this case. It doesn't sound very Brian at all, it lacks the warm sense of humor that the WH album is all about. A different approach and I have to say I still absolutely love it for what it is. Fabulous stuff and an all-around magnificent performance.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 12:17:35 PM »

Can I admit this here?

That was cool to hear a finished( mixed?) version.
But having been pushed( you know who you are) I had to go back and compare it to the version on my single In Concert acetate.  
the acetate has a rawer sound,imo. (probably because it wasn't fixed in the control room? )  
all in all, I agree with my friend, and like the acetate better.
What says them that's heard both?  ( don't be shy)  

yeh i like the acetate version better simply because the (out of tune ... played by Mike?) electro-theremin thing is mixed up much louder!

and yeh, digital mixes have a certain clarity that can sound like ear candy at first but I think traditional 1/4" 2-track mixes hold up better over time.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:31:07 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »

It doesn't sound very Brian at all

I see what you mean. I guess this here is Carl's version. Love it! Strange reverb though.

I hope the guys know that after HPM and WH we all want a new early 70s concert CD  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 12:23:12 PM »

WIIILLDDD HONEYYY
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:19:26 PM by Murry » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »

Is it just me or do these two tracks beat anything they issued on the 1973 concert LP?

I agree

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »

Can I admit this here?
That was cool to hear a finished( mixed?) version.
But having been pushed( you know who you are) I had to go back and compare it to the version on my single In Concert acetate.  
the acetate has a rawer sound,imo. (probably because it wasn't fixed in the control room? )  
all in all, I agree with my friend, and like the acetate better.
What says them that's heard both?  ( don't be shy)  

Yup!  Played on a Victrola!  LOL

Awesome! I love it! I had never heard an acetate!

Guilty as charged!   Wink

It does have a very cool edge to it!

And I love that the Touring Band is boldly performing this!

The position held by many, is that the Touring Band "doesn't have the stuff" to perform the more edgy stuff of the catalog.  It annoys me no end.  That is a rockin' band.

But, I don't think that they shouldn't turn the setlist into the whole late 60's early 70's "jam" era, because that shuts out those segments of the audience who aren't familiar with some of this stuff that the boomers just listen to all the time, regardless of prevailing opinion.  

Some people really prefer the themed work, over the greatest hits.  We need all kinds of fans.  And after seeing 3 back-to-backs, this weekend, has the fanbase ever exploded! Little kids to great grandparents. Amazing!

A little spoon-feeding of this stuff into the setlists, as well as these band-released stuff, can light the fuse to renewed interest in the lesser-known gems.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:28:50 PM by filledeplage » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »

It doesn't sound very Brian at all

I see what you mean. I guess this here is Carl's version. Love it! Strange reverb though.

I hope the guys know that after HPM and WH we all want a new early 70s concert CD  Grin

An entire album full of recordings such as this one and the '72 Rhonda would be beyond fantastic. Personally I doubt it's going to happen because of the lack of original Brian involvement but who knows... I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:33:08 PM by phirnis » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »

Very cool! Brings back memories of the 1972 Philly show at the Spectrum. Saw 7 of the 8 Beach Boys from that period. Also, Mike was dressed as a carnival barker. Strawhat, Red & white striped jacket and cane.

This one?

Source: http://paw.princeton.edu/issues/2011/07/06/pages/4727/index.xml

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »

The position held by many, is that the Touring Band "doesn't have the stuff" to perform the more edgy stuff of the catalog.  It annoys me no end.  That is a rockin' band.

C'mon. Let's get real here, Fillthepage. This is the REAL Beach Boys in 1972 we're talking about, not Mike and Bruce with a cover band! How can you compare? In fact, I don't think Bruce was even at these particular '72 gigs, so there's only ONE original Beach Boy in the Mike & Bruce show today that was in attendance for these versions of Ronda and Wild Honey!

Like I said, these versions of Ronda with Dennis and Wild Honey with Blondie have a lot of SOUL behind them. Not taking anything from your friend Cowsill there - he's a very good drummer/singer, but.......

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:45:24 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »

Not quite! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 12:45:28 PM »

C'mon. Let's get real here, Fillthepage. This is the REAL Beach Boys in 1972 we're talking about, not Mike and Bruce with a cover band! How can you compare? In fact, I don't think Bruce was even at these particular '72 gigs, so there's only ONE original Beach Boy in the Mike & Bruce show today that was in attendance for these versions of Ronda and Wild Honey!

Depends Mikie, depends. Bruce did the 72 shows into early April, I believe. He was at the March show that I attended. With Wild Honey being from a North Jersey show, it may have been the same tour as the Philly show.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »

Holy crap is this freakin' awesome or what.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »

Don't need the reverb/echo. Little too much here, especially compared to the acetate. Sounds like he's singing across a lake or canyon. And there's instances where it seems like his voice was messed with on the recording. Why mess with it?? Unfortunately, I think it's gonna be like this on MIC.

If this is Blondie on the bridge, could that guy play guitar or what! Not so sure even Ed Carter could play like that, much less Carl, Al, or Billy.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:03:39 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 01:11:39 PM »

Like I said, these versions of Ronda with Dennis and Wild Honey with Blondie have a lot of SOUL behind them. Not taking anything from your friend Cowsill there - he's a very good drummer/singer, but.......

(quote)
Hey Mikey - NO one said it was the 1972 band.  I'm not comparing them. They aren't the same but should get their props for getting out there and doing lesser known gems.  We can't turn back the clock. And these releases are fantastic.  No one is playing this stuff live, but you can get a certain "snapshot" of some stuff.  In 1972, virtually everyone was in college or was just out as BB fans.  It was basically the same demographic of young people.  Nothing like these students from 1972 now, bringing their grandkids.

Who on this planet is going to play WH except some Beach Boys membered band?  No one.  And sadly, Carl and Dennis aren't here to see it all come "full circle" with 50+ years.  Life goes on.  I can tell you that I think I saw one of Johnston's last shows at Boston College in 1972.  Around February or March. Toni Tenille was onstage.  They were doing a lot of colleges then. 

As for Cowsill; he came with family cred before he played for the Touring Band, and was guided by extremely talented older brothers.  At some point, one was reportedly in the running to tour with the Beach Boys. 
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 01:13:48 PM »

I would go to a Mike & Bruce show if Mike played the theremin and wore his Maharishi clothes w/ long beard.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »

Depends Mikie, depends. Bruce did the 72 shows into early April, I believe. He was at the March show that I attended. With Wild Honey being from a North Jersey show, it may have been the same tour as the Philly show.

Here's what we know until we see the liners next week. Ronda was sung in NY, Wild Honey was NJ, right?

March 1972 (w/Bruce, Daryl and Toni)

18 - Montclair College, Montclair NJ
19 - Cortland College, Syracuse NY
20 - Carnegie Hall, New York NY
21 - Carnegie Hall, New York NY
22 - Carnegie Hall, New York NY
23 - Kleinhans Music Hall, Buffalo NY
16 - State University of New York, Oneonta NY
25 - St Johns University, Jamaica NY

August, September (w/o Bruce, Toni)

August 21 - Nassau Coliseum, New York NY
September 1 - Convention Hall, Wildwood NJ

November (w/o Bruce, Toni)

13 - Niagara University, Lewiston NY
14 - Palace Theater, Albany NY
15 - Fordham University, New York NY
16 - Memorial Auditorium, Syracuse NY
17 - Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY
19 - Capitol Theater, Passaic NJ [2 shows]
23 - Carnegie Hall, New York NY [2 shows]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:26:13 PM by Mikie » Logged

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »

I personally love the BB live  from about 1969-on much better than their studio work of that time! I know not everyone does.  These cuts really really make me hope we get more live stuff.  I'm not sure how much there is after this in the vaults to justify a full blown archival release but it seems like the live stuff, especially songs people are familiar with, would be good selling in the future.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »

He's what we know until we see the liners next week. Ronda was sung in NY, Wild Honey was NJ, right?

November (w/o Bruce, Toni) I think but not sure if Daryl was still there in late '72. Didn't get credit for the '72 gigs on "In Concert", did he?

Boston Common - August 23, 1972 - Eric Anniversario's setlist archive
Has Blondie on lead.

Mike
Dennis
Carl
Al
Blondie
Ricky

Backup
Lloyd
Hinsche
Dragon
Tenille
Contributed by "C-man"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »

It's just you.

That's it. After MIC comes out, I'm gonna petition for a live box from the different stages of their career. If they don't go for that, request that an early 70's release - specifically '71 - '75. There's obviously some good live stuff in the can that we haven't heard before, and stuff of very good quality on bootlegs that should see the light of day.

With you all the way on this. This era is the live BBs at their peak and word out to be out there.

This version of Wild Honey is great to my ears for far more than Blondie's vocal… it's the instrumental break that's so fluid and alive, and the backing vocals that are so confident and united, and the terrific ending.

Haven't a/b'ed with the acetate version yet… but am smiling at this version.

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »

He's what we know until we see the liners next week. Ronda was sung in NY, Wild Honey was NJ, right?

November (w/o Bruce, Toni) I think but not sure if Daryl was still there in late '72. Didn't get credit for the '72 gigs on "In Concert", did he?

Wild Honey is most likely from Montclair (the day after my show 3/17/72), or it is from later in the year in Passaic.

Blondie sang WH at my show. If I recall correctly, it was one of the encore songs.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:35:34 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »

Holy crap is this freakin' awesome or what.

It's like the whole band's on speed....

Which is quite possible, I guess.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »

Why on earth is the theremin mixed so low? I always loved the sound they got out of it on the live versions of this song, it has this really cool "screaming" quality to it.

But it's like basically not here.  Like, if you hadn't heard the original song, you probably wouldn't know it was there. Odd considering everyone makes a big deal about the theremin in this song.

Srsly, what the fuck.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »

Well I thought was unbelievably freakin' amazing!!

Seriously, once Blondie and Ricky left it was all downhill - artistically and credibility-wise.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 02:01:50 PM »

MARVELOUS!  I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for this!.   Rock! Listening
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »

looooove
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx