gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:12:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Wild Honey (New Jersey 1972)" from MIC previewed on Yahoo Music  (Read 12558 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »

Exclusive! Go Back to 1972 With The Beach Boys!
http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/exclusive-back-1972-beach-boys-143558454.html

I actually can't get the video to load.  Anybody else have any luck?
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »

Blondie's lead certainly adds something that Carl's does not. Sounds great. This plus the Help me Rhonda leak seem to indicate that those disk 5 live tracks will all have great sound quality!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:46:48 AM »

Very cool! Brings back memories of the 1972 Philly show at the Spectrum. Saw 7 of the 8 Beach Boys from that period. Also, Mike was dressed as a carnival barker. Strawhat, Red & white striped jacket and cane. As corny as it might sound, it was really cool to see. They blew the audience away that night. Great show!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MBE
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »

I think I hear Toni in there.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:49:48 AM »

This plus the Help me Rhonda leak seem to indicate that those disk 5 live tracks will all have great sound quality!

Sound quality is good, but also they are  exciting performances, quite different form the album cuts. The live tracks are usually a low priority for me, but judging by these two tracks I won't be skipping the live stuff.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:53:23 AM »

This is a great version. I love Blondie's solos, but they seemed to downplay the weird, beeping synth-sound that happens throughout the song. The sound quality is great, too. We may not be getting samples, but at least we're getting a few, full songs.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:54:53 AM »

This plus the Help me Rhonda leak seem to indicate that those disk 5 live tracks will all have great sound quality!

Sound quality is good, but also they are  exciting performances, quite different form the album cuts. The live tracks are usually a low priority for me, but judging by these two tracks I won't be skipping the live stuff.
Stephen, the shows from that era were just dynamite. That 1972 show that I attended, I went with friends who were not into The Boys' at all. Everyone of them I think was in shock after show. I know they were not expecting to see a show of that caliber. They were just an excellent live band in that era. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »

OH MY GOD is this amazing. Ridiculous performance! Such energy!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 09:04:57 AM »

My mind has just been blown

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:16:55 AM »

How  could they let go of this guy?Huh? Blondie and Ricky were perfect for the Beach Boys and giving them a greater hand could've resulted in more Holland-style material. A huge loss for the group.

What a fantastic performance. Part of what makes the early 70's a great live era for the group is that they abandoned trying to replicate the studio productions live and remade much of their material in a contemporary jam format which really serves many of the songs justice. One could argue that this is outdated per today, but back then it must've clearly rocked! We need more from this period! An extended live release from this era in particular is warrented!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:01:15 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:27:09 AM »

I was just thinking the same thing after I heard this. How could they let him go. Blondie sang that with a whole lotta soul. Guitars and drums sound great too, and I think I heard Carl singing in the mix there. Just a great rendition.

If you played that for somebody without telling them who it was, even if they knew the song, they wouldn't know it was The Beach Boys. My favorite era as a fan, hands down. Who said the Beach Boys weren't hip?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »

Can I admit this here?

That was cool to hear a finished( mixed?) version.
But having been pushed( you know who you are) I had to go back and compare it to the version on my single In Concert acetate.  
the acetate has a rawer sound,imo. (probably because it wasn't fixed in the control room? )  
all in all, I agree with my friend, and like the acetate better.
What says them that's heard both?  ( don't be shy)  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:11:18 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Nicko1234
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:14 AM »

This is a really nice performance and recording.

For purely selfish reasons, as I won't be buying the box set in the near future, it is also nice to be able to hear these unreleased songs legally on the net. Well done Capitol. Smiley
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »

Finally got the video to play.  Great sound and performance, but it seems way too rushed to me.  Sounds like Blondie's having a hard time keeping up vocally with the tempo.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »

Can I admit this here?

That was cool to hear a finished( mixed?) version.
But having been pushed( you know who you are) I had to go back and compare it to the version on my single In Concert test press.  
the test has a rawer sound,imo. (probably because it wasn't fixed in the control room? )  
all in all, I agree with my friend, and like the test better.
What says them that's heard both?  ( don't be shy)  

I agree... aside from the obvious quality improvement, this official release sounds somehow more hollow.. does that make sense?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »

Finally got the video to play.  Great sound and performance, but it seems way too rushed to me.  Sounds like Blondie's having a hard time keeping up vocally with the tempo.
I think I've heard it done faster, though it could have been the recording speed as much as the actual tempo.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 09:43:47 AM »

Bgas, I knew I heard this before!  I'm listening to a 2-part file called Beach Boys NY 72 with Jack Rieley introducing the band. That version REALLY cooks! I can't find the outtake from "In Concert" now!! That ain't the same one I don't think.

Sans the echo and the vocals pushed forward in the mix, yeah the Moffitt mix is obviously going to be more raw. This one has obviously been cleaned up alot! I mean a lot!

Edit: OK, Bgas, just found the WH file from the "In Concert" acetate. Is this the same one as this one coming out? It skips and there's a buncha hiss! The guitars on this kick some major ass! But you're right - it's a lot more raw and sounds like the rest of Moffitt's mixes.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:51:18 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 10:10:03 AM »

Exclusive! Go Back to 1972 With The Beach Boys!
http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/exclusive-back-1972-beach-boys-143558454.html

I actually can't get the video to load.  Anybody else have any luck?

It wouldn't open for me in Chrome but did open in Internet Explorer.  Maybe try a different browser?

EDIT:  I see that you got it, but maybe this will help anyone else having trouble.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:11:06 AM by Michael Edwards Love » Logged
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 11:05:58 AM »

This is fucking great. That saif, is it just me or is there some heavy treatment on Blondie's vocals?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:15:32 AM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »

Killer track! After hearing Dennis sing Rhonda, dang, we are getting some real gold here!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »

A big thumbs up from this WH fan.

Listening

It plays just fine in Safari.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »

This is just sick, sick. Wow, the band was just hot as hell at that time. Amazing.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 11:28:16 AM »

Sounds great, but it seems to be entirely in mono (or very, very, very narrow stereo).  Shocked
MBE
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »

Is it just me or do these two tracks beat anything they issued on the 1973 concert LP?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »

It's just you.

That's it. After MIC comes out, I'm gonna petition for a live box from the different stages of their career. If they don't go for that, request that an early 70's release - specifically '71 - '75. There's obviously some good live stuff in the can that we haven't heard before, and stuff of very good quality on bootlegs that should see the light of day.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx