gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:10:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIC Absentees  (Read 13001 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »

I was at that show back in April 1983 at the Meadowlands in Jersey when they played Lookin at Tomorrow. I was floored by it. I believe it was at the time when Carl had just recently returned to the band, and as a part of that return insisted that they not only practice more, but add some new tunes and arrangements to the setlist. Didn't last long, but I believe that was the reason. Will always remember this show as Dennis was there and it was the last time I saw him perform. Billy Joel also showed up for Rhonda. Strangest(and saddest) thing about this show.....Dennis did a very very raspy version of You Are So Beautiful, standard at the time. Really hoarse.....in the newspapers the next day, the Newark Star Ledger reported that Billy Joel AND JOE COCKER, showed up at the Beach Boy concert, that's how rough Dennis sounded.

Cool story! I'm just glad that, with all the reports of "Dennis could not sing by '83 due to injury" etc. that he indeed still was singing this one.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2013, 03:13:40 AM »

1. WE GOT LOVE - their biggest mistake not putting that song on the Holland album. BTW, I'd love Neil Young to do that song... Wink

2. CUDDLE UP - One of Dennis's best moments - so romantic.

3. LONG PROMISED ROAD - Carl at his best.

4. COOL COOL WATER - any version...

5a. YOU NEED A MESS OF HELP TO STAND ALONE - a nice rocker, quite unusual and complex, yet simple. Listen to the harmonies at the end of the song...

5b. MATCHPOINT OF OUR LOVE - I know many people hate this, and yes, the lyrics are quite, errr, well, but it's a nice tune, with an unusual oriental feel. If you like this one, I can also recommend Incense and peppermints/Strawberry Alarm Clock, Colours of darkness/Young Idea, Reflections from the looking glass
/1910 Fruitgum Co., Dragonfly/Fleetwood Mac.

Smiley

And also for the next "Rarities, odds and ends" box... Wink
Here comes the night 1979 instrumental...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:16:29 AM by bsten » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »

Where I Belong
LONG PROMISED ROAD
Rock and Roll to the Rescue
Lahaina Aloha
Summer's Gone

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »

BTW, Where's Smiley Smile?

Even just. Vocals only track of Whistle In or With Me tonight would be nice.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »

From these posts it looks like Somewhere Near Japan should have been included.  As has been generally agreed upon by many that this was, prior to TWGMTR, the last good Beachboys song.  The album version is readily available to anyone but I'm not sure where the 45 version can be found.  I seem to recall it being on one of the more widely circulated boots.  Anybody recall which boot that might be?
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2013, 12:49:49 PM »

I was able to find it on "Rarities Vol. 7: 1984-1989" on Dumb Angel from 2001
obscurereference
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »

Hawaii (swap with Our Car Club)
Keep An Eye On Summer (swap with Surfers Rule)
Wonderful (Smile version instead of smiley smile)
Little Pad (swap with the third version of Heroes and Villains)
All I Wanna Do (swap with, I dunno, Don't Back Down)

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »

In The Back Of My Mind (instrumental track) - seriously could've replaced the vocal session highlights for Pom Pom Playgirl without many complaints.

Summer's Gone should've been the last song before the Live section.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2013, 09:54:57 AM »

In The Back Of My Mind (instrumental track) - seriously could've replaced the vocal session highlights for Pom Pom Playgirl without many complaints.

And they put "In The Back Of My Mind" on the box with Dennis' shaky lead... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2013, 10:10:37 AM »

And they put "In The Back Of My Mind" on the box with Dennis' shaky lead... Undecided

You mean the only lead he ever recorded for the song (albeit single-tracked)? The one that's nearly perfect and really fitting for the song? What's the alternative?

Also, rab, I don't think it was ever "Should we put a session highlight of 'Pom Pom Playgirl' on this or the 'In The Back Of My Mind' track?" Regardless, it's nice that we got something we never heard before.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »

Also, rab, I don't think it was ever "Should we put a session highlight of 'Pom Pom Playgirl' on this or the 'In The Back Of My Mind' track?" Regardless, it's nice that we got something we never heard before.

Never said it was anything like that, just suggested that it could've been a better choice of song.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
jvcthome
Smiley Smile Associate

fear and loathing in the woodstock nation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »

I need a bit more time to think of the studio songs, but here are three songs that I would have been stoked to see as live performances on MiC:

"What'd I Say?" - 1964. Hugely energetic and easily one of the best performances the band delivered in the early era. Kicks the ass of anything on Beach Boys Concert. Carl delivers a taste of "Wild Honey" three years early, Dennis' drumming is wild and Mike gives a surprisingly decent sax performance.

"Roller Skating Child" - 1978. While the performance in this video is pretty badass, I have a strong feeling there's a rawer version out their somewhere. I demand a full scale manhunt for the grungiest, dirtiest performance of "RSC" in existence. Poorly performed? Awesome. Tempo too fast? Awesome. Brian sounding like a member of Slipknot? Awesome. I need a lethal dose of the Beach Boys' demented take on punk, please give it to me Capitol.

"Lookin' at Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)" - 1983. How the fuck did this prog-rock arrangement show up in a 1983 setlist? Was this recorded in an alternate universe where Endless Summer was never released and the band kept on playing shows like it was 1973? Whatever the case, it's a neat arrangement and it really deserves release.

I can't believe in this Lookin' at Tomorrow version. What the hell. 1983. 1983.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx