gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:20:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike on Mick...Jealous? Because I sing better? Get more chicks?”  (Read 17636 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:16:51 PM »

Older interview with a few cringe moments.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/08/17/because-i-sing-better-get-more-chicks-the-beach-boys-mike-love-on-his-rivalry-with-mick-jagger/

More than four decades after the Beach Boys battled with the Rolling Stones for paisley-era chart primacy, Mike Love says there remains a friendly — well, maybe not even friendly — rivalry between himself and Mick Jagger.

“We respect each other,” Love says in this newly uploaded Q&A with Louise Palanker, “but there’s a certain built-in macho, cavalier disregard for each other — an affected pose.”

On paper at least, there’s no contest.

Along the way, Love and Co. have moved more than 100 million records. The Stones, meanwhile, are said to have sold twice that. Jagger’s best-selling album ever was the 12-times platinum Rolling Stones hits set Hot Rocks 1964–1971, while the Beach Boys’ Endless Summer compilation went three-times platinum. Heck, there was even a faithful rendition of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” on 1973′s The Beach Boys in Concert.

But, it’s not about record sales, or cover tunes. Not this time.

Pressed, Love says: “No, it’s not jealousy. You think he’s jealous of me? Why? Because I sing better? Get more chicks?”
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:20:32 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »

No, it's true. Mick has a severe case of baseball cap envy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »

"Heck, there was even a faithful rendition of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” on 1973′s The Beach Boys in Concert".

No there wasn't. It was recorded but not included on the release.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:29:47 PM »

There is not a single thing Mike Love can do on a Mick Jagger level.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:02:15 AM »

Freejack would've been a gamechanger with Mike Love in that role.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:03:58 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:48:24 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:49:44 PM by zatch » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:20:45 AM »

There is not a single thing Mike Love can do on a Mick Jagger level.

Namely looking and sounding totally disgusting at all times while also being a part of the 2nd most utterly "meh" band to ever be considered legendary by the general public.

IN MY OPINION

But yes, I'll agree, on those counts, ol' Mick's got Myk beat.

IN MY OPINION
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:40:17 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 04:48:31 AM »

The Stones are a good singles band. That's about it. Never particularly 'got' them really...

Still, Mike is being as embarrassing and un-self aware as always. Buttock-clenchingly cringey.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 05:27:47 AM »

I sincerely doubt that Mike had more chicks than Mick Jagger. LOL Or that there ever was a moment in time when Mike was a better singer.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 06:45:24 AM »

I sincerely doubt that Mike had more chicks than Mick Jagger. LOL Or that there ever was a moment in time when Mike was a better singer.
I'll grant that Mick is better in most things, but singer? Though, in rock and roll singing is never a perquisite for greatness. Dylan is also proof of that. My opinion only. Not looking to get into a pissing match about it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 06:49:39 AM »

I think Mike is definitely a better singer, but that's all he's got on Mick.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:53:39 AM »

Seriously, has Mick Jagger ever discussed Mike Love in any public forum?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 07:22:41 AM »

mYke has Mick on several core issues:

1. Over the years, mYke has accumulated scores of headgear items-hats(with giant feathers), colorful turbans, etc.
2. He balded and stayed bald while Mick is lagging far behind in losing his hair.
3. mYke has performed wearing JC Penny, 300 count cotton sheets covered with white terrycloth robes and sandals, while Mick just wears everyday rockstar get ups.
4. mYke has also far outdistanced Mick on being a better speechwriter and delivering those speeches. Still waiting for Mick's contribution.
5. mYke's head swells to the size of a giant watermelon when he's mentioned in the same sentence as Mick. Mick still can't make his head do that when he's mentioned in the same sentence with mYke Luhv. C'mon Mick, get with it. Razz
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »

Way incorrect. Mike's easily a better singer. All those lines he had in the harmony stack. Sorry, but he did a lot of tough singing down low and was perfect. His range and ability is much larger than Jagger's.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »

Way incorrect. Mike's easily a better singer. All those lines he had in the harmony stack. Sorry, but he did a lot of tough singing down low and was perfect. His range and ability is much larger than Jagger's.

Apples and oranges.  Mike couldn't do Mick, and Mick couldn't do Mike.  Both great at what they did. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 08:22:26 AM »

Apples and oranges.  Mike couldn't do Mick, and Mick couldn't do Mike.  Both great at what they did. 
That at any rate, yes.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 08:35:39 AM »

"We respect each other, but there’s a certain built-in macho, cavalier disregard for each other — an affected pose.”

Ok, this degree of self-delusion is amusing and everything, but it has had a real, deleterious effect : this Mike egomania is one of the main reasons the Beach Boys have recently broken up. "Jagger is jealous of me because of all the Hooters waitresses I bang; I'm McCartney to Brian's Lennon."

For a band to continue long-term, the members need to know and accept their roles within the band. Mike used to know his role -- frontman, occasional lead singer, occasional writer. I don't know why he's so intent on making this power-grab ("no more records unless me and Brian write all the songs together from scratch") so late in his career.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 08:39:01 AM »

Mike couldn't do Mick, and Mick couldn't do Mike. 

And therein lies the source of Mike's frustration. Theirs was a love that could never be.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 08:48:42 AM »

What frustrates me is Mike's never ending quest for self-validation by comparing his role in the band to that of other pop/rock stars. (Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Johnny Rotten) Isn't being Mike Love, the frontman/singer/lyricist of The Beach Boys a unique role unto itself???
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 08:51:03 AM »

Mick and Mike kinda have only one tone of singing, though they both have tenderer moments. and they've both been involved in writing some very good stuff...also some very sh*t stuff. Mick fucking himself with his solo career is about as bad as Summer In Paradise, but atleast Mick didn't release his stuff under the Rolling Stones name. Imagine the tracks on Looking Back With Love also released as a Beach Boys album :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:54:11 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 08:55:53 AM »

The Stones are a good singles band. That's about it. Never particularly 'got' them really...

Still, Mike is being as embarrassing and un-self aware as always. Buttock-clenchingly cringey.

Ever listen to BEGGAR'S BANQUET, LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, or EXILE ON MAIN ST? Probably the best series of ALBUMS ever released by any rock band! 

The Stones' output since, oh, 1986, is very generic, yes. "McStones" would be a descriptive term.   
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 09:01:44 AM »

Thanks for starting this thread.  I haven't listened to much Rolling Stones music lately.  I never was much of a fan of the stuff they did after Mick Taylor left, but I used to listen to a lot of Stones 'back in the day'.  This thread inspired me to listen to some of that stuff...Under My Thumb, Paint It Black, Ruby Tuesday, Play With Fire, Get Off My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown, and of course My Obsession.  Nobody could have sung those songs better than Mick Jagger.  And of course it goes the other way, too.  Nobody could have sung Fun Fun Fun, or California Girls, or any of those classic Mike Love baritone lines in the harmony stack as perfectly as Mike Love. 

Anyway, thanks for prompting me to listen to some great old Rolling Stones music.  Made my morning.  Cheers. 
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »

Ever listen to BEGGAR'S BANQUET, LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, or EXILE ON MAIN ST? Probably the best series of ALBUMS ever released by any rock band!  

The Stones' output since, oh, 1986, is very generic, yes. "McStones" would be a descriptive term.  

They were primarily a singles band in the beginning, but Sticky Fingers is still one of my all time favorite albums by anyone.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:04:57 AM by LostArt » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »

Mike's Mick-copying in the 70s was obvious and ridiculous, but I don't think Mick is a better singer than Mike.

Very true on both counts.

When it comes to the quantity of women over the years, Mike can't hold Mick's jock.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 10:08:59 AM »

Hell, Mike couldn't hold Dennis Wilson's jock in the womanizing department.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx