gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:01:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Survivor #1: WINNER SURFIN' SAFARI!!!!!  (Read 87606 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:02 PM »

Moon Dawg

Bad choice, friend.  "Moon Dawg" is one of the few real surf songs on the album.

It was a toss up between "County Fair" and "Little Girl You're My Miss America", both of which feature rather insipid lead vocals, but I vote for "County Fair" as worst track.  

Moon Dawg (no offense) was too sloppy. I like the instrumentals on the next LP much better. I vote for Moon Dawg. Miss America is just an innocent early sixties ballad, Ten Little Indians isn't single material but fun anyhow, and Summertime Blues is very garage band. I also dislike the Shift. Just silly.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »

Cuckoo Clock

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »

Ten Little Indians, I guess.  None of the arrangements are that inspired, but I especially don't think it worked with the speedy run-through of a simple traditional song.
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »

Ten Little Indians.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »

Cuckoo Clock. Lousy piece of sh*t.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »

Awww  LOL

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »

Summertime Blues. I agree with earlier post--great tune but an uninspired cover.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »

I love cookoo clock. Gives me a giggle everytime I hear it.  Cry
MBE
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:45 PM »

The clock song is meant to be satirical so I don't mind it. Plus the chorus is kind of darkly funny.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »

Ten Little Indians.

One of the worst songs I've ever heard, if not the worst.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 03:04:23 PM »

Surfin' Safari is easily their worst record they made until the mid 70's stinkers and I'll show it no mercy.

Summertime Blues gets my first vote. How can you f*** up such a great song so badly?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »

When I first heard about Nilsson's Ten Little Indians I thought it was going to be the same song... Nilsson's is much better.  LOL
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »

Ten Little Indians. Horrible, horrible song. Worst single they would ever release.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »

Cuckoo Clock.

Little Girl is actually one of my favorite songs on the album.

I'm with you. It's my favorite on there. Dennis sounds wonderful.

Agreed. Dennis' vocal is one of the highlights of the album.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »

What's the matter with Ten Little Indians? It's not exactly good but it's miles away from the worst thing they ever did...

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »

Moon Dawg

Bad choice, friend.  "Moon Dawg" is one of the few real surf songs on the album.

It was a toss up between "County Fair" and "Little Girl You're My Miss America", both of which feature rather insipid lead vocals, but I vote for "County Fair" as worst track.  

Um, well, being a subjective thing and all... Roll Eyes

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »

What's the matter with Ten Little Indians? It's not exactly good but it's miles away from the worst thing they ever did...
What's the matter with County Fair? It's all subjective now, isn't it. I can listen to all 12 tracks, but I like some more than others. Ten Little Indians being the least of them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

Summertime Blues… just doesn't have the vibe if the original which makes it stand apart.

“We live in divisive times.”
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 05:50:30 PM »

What's the matter with County Fair? It's all subjective now, isn't it. I can listen to all 12 tracks, but I like some more than others. Ten Little Indians being the least of them.
I'm just wondering what specifically people hate about it. For me it doesn't really stand apart from the other tracks in any way, it's just kinda bland is all.

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 06:12:39 PM »

I'm just wondering what specifically people hate about it. For me it doesn't really stand apart from the other tracks in any way, it's just kinda bland is all.

No track on this album stands apart as being especially bad, any more than any one of a group of midgets stands out as being especially short.
MBE
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »

Land Ahoy, Their Hearts, and Lonely Sea would have made this album better.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »

That is why it is my least favorite. There are few bland tunes on there, but it was their first album. The cool thing about listening to the first three albums is hearing how much they progressed in a year.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:39:04 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »

Land Ahoy, Their Hearts, and Lonely Sea would have made this album better.

True. The decision not to include Their Hearts was a bizarre one. But maybe it was felt it didn't fit in with the formula.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 08:43:34 PM »

I really dig the album, always have..... the development was astonishing from Brian & Co with following albums.....

I get a kick out of listening to the tracking sessions from SOT unsurpassed masters...... love hearing them putting the tracks down and
hearing the rawness and simplicity of how it all started......

glad to have a sealed 62 copy of it in my collection...  Cool Guy

RickB
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

No track on this album stands apart as being especially bad, any more than any one of a group of midgets stands out as being especially short.

LOL On a related note, I'm trying to figure out if Al is the world's tallest dwarf, or tiniest giant.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx