gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:45:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Fifty Sides of the Beach Boys - Mark Dillon

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fifty Sides of the Beach Boys - Mark Dillon  (Read 8106 times)
Jason
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »

Discuss, review, and rate Fifty Sides of the Beach Boys, published June 2012.

Paulos
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »

Only picked this book up last week which is unusually slack for me considering it's been out for over a year. I really enjoyed this book and the concept of The Beach Boys, friends, famous fans and associates discussing their favourite tracks. I liked the background given to the songs under discussion and learnt a few new things, all in all a top job Mr Dillon and well done.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:25:27 AM »

Fantastic book - it's contents exceeded my intitial exceptations and I'm in awe of how much detail Mark crammed into this tome.

Mark did a great job encapsulating the history of the band and their output via his clever focus on "a" song but brilliantly stretched each chapter into a discussion the broader recording sessions and albums from where the "sides" originate.  He deftly related key historical events and contextualised the music via insightful analysis without sacrificing accessibility or trowelling on hyperbole.

Mark's great achievement is mixing up his interviewees and not solely focusing on HUGE industry names or immediate BB peers.  It's great to hear from guys like Dennis Diken and Adam Marsland, who are not only representative of the high standard of musicans queried and have made their own unique contributions to the BB world (Dennis with his research on the first Pet Sounds CD release) but provide great and genuine insight as fans; which provides new discussion as well as gushy moments we can all identify with and relate to.

I also really enjoyed the following:

- Scott Totten on Sloop John B - it was fascinating to read about his meticulous and reverent approach to song arrangement for the 50th Tour

- Carnie Wilson on Our Prayer - yes, the great man's daughter is probably going to tend towards the glowing side; but her comments here, combined with Carnie's comments in ESQ last year, prove her love and deep appreciation for weightier material

- the great stuff, as always, from Stebbins, Boyd and Beard

- morish tidbits from James Guerico and Earle Mankey that help get a good picture of Post Holland motives and actions

My favourite chapter is Steve Levine on Getcha Back - most tomes I've read tend to gloss over BB85 and blame it on the digital thing, so this is a great opportunity to get some insights into how this album came together.  It's not my favourite album, but  I certainly have a better appreciation of Steve Levine's and the BB's intentions as a result of reading this chapter.

The preface is delightfully personal and relevant to those who "came late" or via one of the myriad greatest hits packages.

As with any book, one may have a minor quibble or 2 (No AGD or S Desper chapter; a few facts quoted from the Badman) but what the hey - I had a great time reading this one and it was a cool way to refresh and reflect on what we've been priviledged to behold leading into last year's C50 gigs.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
rogerlancelot
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 03:15:45 PM »

5 for pure entertainment value. I am not very generous with the 5's but this book was a very good read. Dillon managed to talk to all the right people and threw in all kinds of surprises. It is not a reference book, it is not a bio, it is not over opinionated. It is informative, often funny and sits nicely in my collection. Thank you, Mark!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:11:48 AM »

Not much to say about this book, other than how highly interesting it is!
4.5 out of 5
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »

Just uploaded my interview with Mark Dillon - fun, fun, fun unpacking how he researched and recruited for "50 Sides of The Beach Boys."

http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2016/09/prayforsurf-interview-with-mark-dillon.html

Phil Miglioratti talked with Mark Dillon, author of "50 Sides of the Beach Boys: The Songs That Tell Their Stories." Mark unpacked the process of how he researched the history and recruited the 50 exclusive interviews with the Beach Boys and their friends/colleagues. 50 songs. 50 stories. 50 VERY interesting backstories!

PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 07:25:47 PM »

FYI ~ Mark Dillon is my co-interviewer in my conversation with Jim Hirsch, collaborator on Mike Love's "Good Vibrations: My Life as a Beach Boy" at PrayForSurfBlog.blogspot.com

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx