gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 05:24:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Curt Boettcher makes the New York Times  (Read 2520 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/magazine/she-told-herself-she-couldnt-die-because-she-had-to-write-his-story.html?pagewanted=all

Today's New York Times's magazine section has an article about two people you wouldn't normally expect to see written about there.  The piece starts with a consideration of the music of the late Curt Boettcher....then its writer, Alexandra Molotkow, goes on to discuss how reading about old Curt and his music online led her to be fascinated by the professional and spiritual journey of that pioneer Boettcherologist-turned-theologian, Dawn Eden.

It opens thus: "If his life had gone just a bit differently, Curt Boettcher might have been another Brian Wilson. Joseph Gordon-Levitt might be playing him in a modern-day biopic."  Interesting casting notion for Love And Mercy, had it been a miniseries instead of a movie and could broaden the cast....
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »

The article really brings home how lucky BW and the BBs were in becoming famous very quickly.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:05:30 PM »

Nice to see some national attention being given to Curt/The Millennium/Saggitarious. Wonderful music from all.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »

Hey, Just to brag a little, I'm supposed to have lunch w/ Sandy Salisbury next month! One of my buddies is a pal of his.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 06:28:35 PM »

Head Spin w00t! King

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:08:57 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/magazine/she-told-herself-she-couldnt-die-because-she-had-to-write-his-story.html?pagewanted=all

Today's New York Times's magazine section has an article about two people you wouldn't normally expect to see written about there.  The piece starts with a consideration of the music of the late Curt Boettcher....then its writer, Alexandra Molotkow, goes on to discuss how reading about old Curt and his music online led her to be fascinated by the professional and spiritual journey of that pioneer Boettcherologist-turned-theologian, Dawn Eden.

It opens thus: "If his life had gone just a bit differently, Curt Boettcher might have been another Brian Wilson. Joseph Gordon-Levitt might be playing him in a modern-day biopic."  Interesting casting notion for Love And Mercy, had it been a miniseries instead of a movie and could broaden the cast....
This is great.  Smiley I imagine JGL reading the Times and thinking "what the . . who?". LOL
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »

I have generally made the effort to buy Curt and Gary's work whenver I can, and I have not regretted anything I have listened to. It can get a little insane if vinyl is the thing you are trying to fin. But the cds I have I REALLY enjoy!

If it runs amuck, call the duck
MBE
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »

I have generally made the effort to buy Curt and Gary's work whenver I can, and I have not regretted anything I have listened to. It can get a little insane if vinyl is the thing you are trying to fin. But the cds I have I REALLY enjoy!
Good vinyl on Gary
http://www.amazon.com/Barefoot-Adventure-Sessions-1962-66-Vinyl/dp/B001BJ65VC/ref=sr_1_2_title_2_lp_?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1376338233&sr=1-2&keywords=Barefoot+Adventure%3A+The
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »

Finally had lunch with Sandy AND Michael Fennelly from the Millenium. Really nice guys. Sandy is as tiny as Al Jardine and has a very casual, nice-guy vibe, whereas Mike seems a little more pissed about the Music biz, but still a very friendly man.
    Sandy told me he got to be at a mixing session for Good Vibes, but I didn't press him too much about exactly what it was like. Michael had a funny story about Mike Love being a dick and stepping in some dogshit circa 1968. Anyway, I'll post some pictures as soon as I remember how!
    Off to work....

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 10:51:33 PM »

Wasnt Michael in a band called Crabby Appelton.?
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 04:27:30 AM »

Wasnt Michael in a band called Crabby Appelton.?
Yes, he was.

Watson, did you hear this?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »

I REALLY liked Crabby Appelton ..Ive never seen that on cd either.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 09:30:07 AM »

Both Crabby Appleton albums were released on CD by Collector´s Choice in 2002.

For anyone interested in Michael Fennelly: Sundazed just released an intereresting collection called "Love Can Change Everything - Demos 1967-1972".
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 07:30:03 AM »

Both Crabby Appleton albums were released on CD by Collector´s Choice in 2002.

For anyone interested in Michael Fennelly: Sundazed just released an intereresting collection called "Love Can Change Everything - Demos 1967-1972".

Any Millennium/Boettcher related stuff on there?

Watson, did you hear this?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx