gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:39:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The differing speeds of "Please Let Me Wonder"  (Read 2171 times)
arnoldfringe2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

Hello All!

Have you ever noticed that all the stereo mixes of "Please Let Me Wonder" are slower/lower in pitch than the 1990/2000's twofer? The recent mono mix of the "Today" album is also "lower' in pitch. My vinyl versions are like the 1990/2000's twofers. I tried this listening experiment on my Wife and she also noticed the differing pitches. What's going on? Shocked
Jason
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:14:19 AM »

I believe the mono mix on the 2012 reissue of Today! is a remix.
arnoldfringe2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »

Thanks for that bit of info.

So why are all the modern remixes lower in pitch than the twofers and the vinyl? Maybe I used the wrong wording in the title...It should read "The Differing Pitches of etc". The speed change is ever so subtle. The pitch change stands out like a sore thumb to me. The modern mono/stereo remixes kinda drags IMO. I love the twofer and vinyl versions. I'm not meaning this post to sound like a moan, I'm just curious as to why the modern mixes are different than the remasters. Any info anyone?

Cheers

Shane
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:30:20 AM »

I believe the mono mix on the 2012 reissue of Today! is a remix.

Where did you get this info? It actually sounds worse than the other tracks - almost as if it's slightly rechanneled.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jason
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »

I can't speak for sure, but my ears tell me very clearly that it's a remix. The 45, LP, and all CD versions up until the 2012 reissue have the same muddy sound. Even finding a lower generation tape wouldn't necessarily remove much in the way of the muddy sound.

Maybe Mark could enlighten us...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »

I must admit that I didn't check out the 2012 versions because I'm not really interested in the new stereo versions (mono geek), but it is interesting that this issue should pop up with this song, because on the old versions I always thought that Brian's voice sounded as if it was recorded lower and slower and was then sped up. As if the backing track had been played back slower for the recording of his vocals.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »

I doubt the 2012 mono "Please Let Me Wonder" is a remix, just remastered. "Do It Again" was originally muddy as ballz, too, but when you listen to more recent releases containing the song, much of it is gone (at least by comparison). We know the master for "Do It Again" was lost for decades until recently, so there was no way to remix it, so that's one example of how far you can take a remaster.

To me, it sounds like a well-remastered... uh, remaster. A lot can be done with EQ, multiband compression etc. and there was no mention in the liner notes or elsewhere of it being a new mix. Obviously I could be wrong, though.

I, too, always noticed the speed differences with "Please Let Me Wonder" and thought it was odd. I'd figured what happened was something along the lines of Brian (or someone) speeding it up slightly on the original album, intentionally or unintentionally, and it was not noted to do this on the more recently done stereo mix. Personally, I heard it "sped up" so many times that I got used to it. The later stereo mix sounds off by comparison, thus when ripping the more recent releases containing the stereo mix I would always put it back to its original speed.

I can't explain why the 2012 mono/stereo remaster also has the mono mix to the slower speed. I'm guessing someone was doing a comparison between the two and said "Huh. This isn't right," and set it to the speed of the stereo mix given those tracks are from a more recent digital transfer. Who knows.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
arnoldfringe2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »

Good stuff everyone! I'm so glad I'm not going crazy in noticing the pitch/speed issue Grin

runnersdialzero could you tell me what program you use to speed up "Please Let Me Wonder"?

Cheers

Shane
zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:50:15 PM by zatch » Logged
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 06:58:31 PM »

I'm almost a million percent sure that the new mono IS REMIXED, not just remastered. I read it somewhere on this here forum back when the remasters came out (last year?).

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
arnoldfringe2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 12:46:38 AM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:35 AM »

Interesting thread, as I'd never realized there was a speed/pitch difference between the original version and the somewhat slower stereo version which first appeared in 2007 on The Warmth of the Sun compilation.

Gotta agree that the 2012 mono mix sounds like a remix rather than simply a remaster, as it sounds dramatically cleaner than the original.

As far as the pitch difference is concerned, I prefer the slower pitch on the recent PLMW releases.  I'd like to say that preference stems from the vocals on the newer slower versions sounding more natural, but on the other hand I prefer the sped up versions of Caroline No and It's OK to the original speed recordings.
arnoldfringe2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 04:05:05 AM »

Yeah, I prefer the sped up "It's Ok". On the other hand, the original speed of "Caroline No" really moves me. The sped up version is nice but doesn't touch me in the same way.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:13:02 AM »

My own custom-made-for-myself-version of the TWGMTR album contains sped up but pitch true versions of Isn't It Time and Beaches In Mind.

Actually, before the CD age I used to speed up most songs a bit using the pitch control of the record player. The only song ever I found too fast is Surf's Up. It sounds so rushed to me. Alas, the sound quality drops significantly when I try to artificially slow it down, so I couldn't make me a custom version as slow as I'd like.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
arnoldfringe2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:15:35 AM »

I used to do that with vinyl too! I don't know why but I seemed to get a "tingle" from tracks at slighlty faster speeds/higher pitches.

I've downloaded audacity and it has a change pitch/speed function...a slower "Surf's Up" sounds very interesting...I might give it a go!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx