gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:33:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the honeys - ecstasy Lp  (Read 5608 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »

does anybody have or heard this album?....

I love the early 'honeys' and the later 'Spring' stuff, but this is one album that I cannot get into....

Ive played it a few times, but its so...... annoying almost  Roll Eyes

not sure whether its the production or the songs.......

it was released in 1983 by Rhino Records.......cant see any BW or BB related credits, seems like a completely independent project from the guys..

any thoughts or comments from the Community???

Cheerio, RickB
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »

oops! I was wrong...

two songs have wilson credit:

you brought it all on yourself  (b.wilson)

go away boy (b.wilson/.Wilson/rovell/blake/naktin)

RickB
Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 04:32:51 PM »

You Brought It All On Yourself and Go Away Boy were originally tackled in 1963-64 and never finished and never released at the time. The early versions can be found on bootlegs. Like the rest of the Honeys/Spring stuff (beyond He's a Doll and Sweet Mountain), they're no big find. The Ecstasy album is hideously bad.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »

ahh RBB so true!!

I can listen to MIU to Summer In Paradise, but no matter how many or fewer times I play this....... I think 'arrrgh!   Huh

'im waiting for the day' where i'll say 'yeah! I get it!'...... but im not holding my breath  Lips Sealed

RickB
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 05:50:24 PM »

Do yourself a huge favour and check out this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6nYY80eSn0 - superb cover!

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »

where can i hear the original 60s takes?
Nicko1234
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 09:48:39 PM »

Do yourself a huge favour and check out this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6nYY80eSn0 - superb cover!

Agreed.
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbfyA91Hds

"It's Like Heaven"
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »

The Ecstasy album is hideously bad.

Perhaps, but for me Go Away Boy alone was worth it to buy this album. A real BW classic, even if it was re-recorded for this album.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 05:21:24 AM »

I have an autographed copy of the album stored somewhere; is it worth anything? "Love You Forever", "Indian Giver" and "Temptation Eyes" aren't bad, actually.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 03:45:16 AM »

Perhaps, but for me Go Away Boy alone was worth it to buy this album. A real BW classic, even if it was re-recorded for this album.

Yes, fantastic song!

I never heard of an early "You brought it all on yourself"-version? Did it have another title?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 01:43:30 AM »

I am a fan of all their stuff except this album. The production kills it for me, too guitar heavy. Tried to do too much hard rock here that doesn't fit. Brian's two songs stand out even in these versions.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »

[An older thread for the Honeys' Ecstasy: CLICK. Maybe the mods could join these.]

I just searched for the appropriate thread myself, to express my surprise as to how good this is. Smiley

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:08:56 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 09:41:44 AM »

I was disappointed in the album, yes "Go away Boy" is an amazing song and maybe one or two more, but the album suffers from really bad 80's "hard rock" production, loud guitars and loud voices, hardly any melody at all except for the Brian Wilson songs.. yes the cover is cool I admit that.. but this is easily their worst album IMO..
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »

I never heard of an early "You brought it all on yourself"-version? Did it have another title?

See  "The Big Beat"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »

See  "The Big Beat"
Right. There's loads of great stuff on that compilation.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »

I have never heard this album, but I am familiar to Go Away Boy by the Pearlfishers on the Caroline Now cd. Great cd by the way!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 01:10:41 AM »

I have an autographed copy of the album stored somewhere; is it worth anything? "Love You Forever", "Indian Giver" and "Temptation Eyes" aren't bad, actually.
!
My copy from the mid-80s is autographed too - so maybe they all were!
It certainly has possibly the worst cover of all time (probably worse than 'Smell the Glove'), but I find it all rather enjoyable, in an unpleasantly 80s kind of way. Apart from the BW songs I like the revival of the Grassroots song among others. I file it next to Looking Back with Love in the great BB LP library.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »

Probably - I organised a bulk purchase from Rhino, and all were signed by the girls. It was advertised via Stomp.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »

Maybe I'd like the album if it didn't have that bad 80s sounding production. Personally it ruins it for me. However, I really love the Honeys stuff from the 60s (especially Pray For Surf) and American Spring (Shyin' Away is a favorite of mine).

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx