gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:51:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maitreya Kali  (Read 4544 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:43:55 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljfOu014IQw

What's the story behind this? Unfortunately, I ca't make out much of what's being said, though I hear references to Brian and Charles Lloyd.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »

Mike Love's appearance on the Maitreya Kali/Craig Smith record was discussed at some length at this thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9928.0.html

Until I looked it up again this morning, I hadn't known that Smith died in March of last year - though from what I can tell online, word of his death didn't get circulated until about six months later.

Mike Stax of Ugly Things magazine and Mike McDowell of Blitz fame were both trying to find him in his last years.  But, unlike the case of Tandyn Almer where Parke Puterbaugh was able to interview him a bit before he died, Smith stayed elusive to the end.

At
http://therisingstorm.net/maitreya-kali-inca/
a commenter, identifying herself as "Lisa U," describes a visit Smith/Maitreya made to Brian's home.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:13:48 AM »

Thanks for this - I hadn't seen it.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »

Might as well dust off this ancient thread to note that sometime soon, probably next year, Adam Parfrey's Process Media will publish an actual biography of Craig Smith aka Maitreya Kali. It's by Mike Stax and is an expansion of the article he wrote for his Ugly Things magazine in issue 36 in late 2013.  Hopefully it will have some material explaining just how it came to be that the Lovester shows up on Smith/Kali's double album, and more about Smith/Kali's acquaintance with him and Brian.

This month, Stax reported on Facebook that he'd traveled from his home base in San Diego to LA to take custody of Smith/Kali's cremated remains; the musician's family had his corpse so disposed when he died in March 2012, but apparently was uninterested in actually burying or scattering him, so the remains were due to join those of 1500 other unclaimed people in LA's version of Potter's Field.  Instead, Stax has claimed them and plans to bury Smith/Kali someplace with a proper marker.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »

Might as well dust off this ancient thread to note that sometime soon, probably next year, Adam Parfrey's Process Media will publish an actual biography of Craig Smith aka Maitreya Kali. It's by Mike Stax and is an expansion of the article he wrote for his Ugly Things magazine in issue 36 in late 2013. 

Which you can buy here:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/UGLY-THINGS-Issue-36-MAGAZINE-HAUNTED-DREAM-MOTIONS-CYRIL-JORDAN-CRAIG-SMITH-/400979775723   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:40:07 PM »

The biography of Craig Smith, otherwise known as Maitreya Kali, by Ugly Things editor Mike Stax came out in September or so but I only just got the ebook version today. It is a very interesting story Stax tells - painstakingly put together - and though there are some blank areas left, a lot of questions about Craig/Maitreya's bizarre and tragic life are answered.

I should add it contains a number of passages thoroughly on topic.  The origin of Craig Smith's  relationship with the Beach Boys is explained - he got to know them through Mike's second wife Suzanne who had been a friend of his from high school days.  Mike, in fact, was friendly enough with Craig that he hosted the going-away party when the latter started his round-the-world trip from which he returned a radically changed person.  (Apparently less because of all the exotic drugs he ingested than because he suffered brain damage after being robbed and beaten in Kandahar, Afghanistan.)

The supporting cast of characters is a thoroughly diverse one.  Craig's great-granduncle was Charles Gabriel, composer of such familiar gospel tunes as Will The Circle Be Unbroken and His Eye Is On The Sparrow, so that suggests his musical gifts had some genetic component.  Craig's dad was closely involved with Peggy Lee in the early stages of her career. And where the '60s are concerned, besides the acts who covered his tunes like Andy Williams, the Monkees and Glen Campbell, those notable Mormon sirens the Clinger Sisters figure very prominently in the book, not to mention Ruthann Friedman and a host of other cult faves.  Recommended, all round.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 04:27:21 AM »

Thanks for the tidbit. About time for new BBs mention. 3D

Here's what Larry Grogan from terrific Iron Leg blog had to say about it (with the book cover & Amazon link):

Greetings all.

Before we get started this week, I wanted to give the highest possible recommendation to the outstanding new tome by Mike Stax (majordomo of the Ugly Things empire), ‘Swim Through the Darkness: My Search for Craig Smith and the Mystery of Maitreya Kali’.

Covering the amazing story of Smith, from his time on the Andy Williams Show, to near-Hollywood stardom, the recordings of Chris & Craig, the Penny Arkade and then the ultra-rare Maitreya Kali recordings, Stax lays out a fascinating picture of mid-60s LA, touching on mainstream and underground showbiz. His detective work, filling in the blanks about Smith’s tragic missing years, is  first rate.

‘Swim Through the Darkness’ is very well-written, and if you’re a fan of mid-60s Cali rock and pop there are revelations in every chapter.

I haven’t been reading much lately, but I tore through this in a few days.

So head on over to Amazon (you can get it in Kindle, too) or whatever fine bookseller has it, and get your read on. – LG

Blog page (the post above dates 27 Nov): https://ironleg.wordpress.com

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx