gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:15:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What can we expect to hear and see in the Brian and Jeff Concerts?  (Read 3468 times)
DPW12315
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »

I'm an thrilled to hear that Brian and Jeff Beck along with Al and David are going to be touring again! Especially at The Beacon Theater and Westubry! So, what can we expect to hear? Some old rarities and some jamming with Jeff Beck? Or maybe some peeks into their new albums and songs. I told myself I wont look at the setlists before I go. Just to make the experience much more thrilling... So any ideas on what to expect to see and hear this tour?
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »

A rousing version of "Hi-Ho Silver Lining" that segues with "Heroes and Villains" and exits with "Cause We've Ended As Lovers"??

But I doubt that will happen.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »

Hits, hits, deep cuts, new songs and Jeff Beck songs people don't really want to hear.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
DPW12315
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »

Hits, hits, deep cuts, new songs and Jeff Beck songs people don't really want to hear.
I actually don't know any Jeff Beck songs... But I'd love to hear some new songs. I'm tired of the hits... please, kill me if I hear Surfin' USA or California Girls! I want to hear stuff that I would never think of hearing.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »

The only Jeff Beck song I can think of is Beck's Bolero and that's a really great one.  Not really familiar with his other work, outside of the Yardbirds at least.  He's mostly known for doing instrumental covers.  He's a fantastic musician though, his playing is very sophisticated for a rock guitarist.

doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »

Well they both have a version of Ol Man River in their catalog and Brian's been playing his lately ...

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:00:58 PM »

Tom Hanks
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »

It all goes downhill from Hi Ho Silver Lining...

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »

I'm thinking Surf's Up as an instrumental, it is sort of where this collaboration goes back to.

JB also mentioned his love of car songs, so I'd say some car songs. Which is cool, because I love car songs myself. I can't even swim much less surf, although I do live 15 minutes from the ocean, so the car songs always appealed to me more than the surf songs.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Nicko1234
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 02:58:30 AM »

During the recent BAD shows it was the rarer songs that were cut from the setlist when they had another artist on the bill (Wilson Phillips). And Jeff Beck`s comments about how many hits that Brian has to play indicates that may be the way it goes again. Which is probably what casual audience members would like I suppose. Jeff Beck quite often plays covers in his set I believe which probably wouldn`t be a bad idea.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 08:35:09 AM »

I'm thinking Surf's Up as an instrumental, it is sort of where this collaboration goes back to.
Wouldn't it be nice to witness Jeff join Brian, Al and David on stage for a masterful rendition of "Surf's Up"?  Yeah, I think so, too.  Smiley
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »

Wouldn't it be nice to witness Jeff join Brian, Al and David on stage for a masterful rendition of "Surf's Up"?  Yeah, I think so, too.  Smiley

I think you've just revealed a stunning closer to this unique concert event! Grin
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 12:01:09 PM »

I'd be shocked (in a good way) if they play Surf's Up.  Brian hasn't played it since the Smile tour.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »

I'd be shocked (in a good way) if they play Surf's Up.  Brian hasn't played it since the Smile tour.

Beck has been doing a live instrumental version of Surf's Up (and Day In the Life) for some years.

I would surprised if they didn't play Surf's Up.. might sound like this here.

http://youtu.be/7Ji0ZE0jpcg
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:18:51 PM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
mlanoue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 05:12:05 PM »

I'd be shocked (in a good way) if they play Surf's Up.  Brian hasn't played it since the Smile tour.

Yes, what is the reason behind this?  I read somewhere that it still brings up bad memories.  Is that true as far as we know?  It's a shame if that's so.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »

I remember there was a recent interview with one of Brian's band members and he said that they wouldn't be playing Surf's Up (speaking of the tour that just finished). He said it was a hard song for Brian to sing. So it seems like doing an instrumental version with Jeff Beck would be a possibility.
mlanoue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 03:16:11 AM »

So, it was more of a technical issue with Brian's ability to hit the notes?  Okay, thanks.  That makes more sense.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 03:56:08 AM »

Beck has been doing a live instrumental version of Surf's Up (and Day In the Life) for some years.

sounds like something you would have a sit down meal listening too....boooooooooooorrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiinnnggggggggggg ...Thats some horrible pointless guitar noodling goin on at the end...Mertens will be asking for more sax solos next LOL
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:57:54 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 04:11:34 AM »

Wish this thread was titled otherwise. 

Jeff's been at every BW solo gig I've ever attended. I'm easily confused.

“We live in divisive times.”
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »

I'd be shocked (in a good way) if they play Surf's Up.  Brian hasn't played it since the Smile tour.

I'd be interested to see if it's possible to isolate either Beck's guitar from one of his performances and then apply it to one of BW's live rendition's of "Surf's Up," or vice-versa (grabbing one of Brian's live leads - and any applicable background vox not heard on Jeff's versions - and putting them to a Jeff Beck performance).

If (big "if") these individual parts could be reasonably extracted (and given enough patience to edit, stretch the files, etc.), I think it could prove illuminating, offering us a possible glimpse at what a BAD+Jeff Beck version of the song could sound like.  That, and it might just sound beautiful.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 12:52:12 PM »

One of them should have changed their name to Geoff!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 01:20:19 PM »

I wanna hear Jeff and BAD do a rockin' version of Heart Full of Soul, or Shapes of Things.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx