gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:13:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW attempts falsetto on TWGMTR Live  (Read 10021 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »

Maybe people should be sending Brian links to performances by the mature and still amazing Lou Christie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QKpR3l62A

Note how at the beginning of the clip Christie shows how low he can still go as well.  Wow.
(And he seems to be making a nice joke about adjusting his balls....)
Love Lou!

Lou Christie is amazing, but he never weighed 300 pounds, have an extreme mental illness, chain smoked, or freebased coke, so that might explain why he sounds pretty good. Jay Siegel ("The Lion Sleeps Tonight" falsetto guy from The Tokens) still sounds as good as 50 years ago, too.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »

There was also his attempting his original falsetto part on "Forever" on one of the last couple Beach Boys shows they all did together last year. Any time he attempts something like this, he tends to trail off a bit, I think either because he loses confidence, he gets lost in the music and just goes for the parts he used to do but then catches himself, or realizes Jeff is doing them or some kind of combination of any of those three.

I'm sure he could do a fine job with some of the less strenuous falsetto parts and it'd really be cool if he was encouraged to do some specific falsetto parts for a few songs instead of just "Hey, let Jeff do it instead" or whatever.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »

Brian doesn't sing falsetto, Foskett just croaks a bit... and it's worsened because Brian dropped out for a moment, as he usually does.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »

Brian doesn't sing falsetto, Foskett just croaks a bit... and it's worsened because Brian dropped out for a moment, as he usually does.

I hear Foskett hitting the notes properly. Brian's the "croaking" sound. You have a point though, it's not really falsetto.. yet. He's kinda in that "winding up" in between voice where he's about to unleash the falsetto. But he stops before the big note.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »

There was also his attempting his original falsetto part on "Forever" on one of the last couple Beach Boys shows they all did together last year.

Ahh, yep I remember that. And of course the moment when he whipped out the falsetto at the end of "Please Let Me Wonder".
zachrwolfe
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:50:38 PM by zatch » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »

Does Frankie Valli lip-sync at "Four Seasons" shows? If not, his voice has held up very well as well.
Certainly makes an authentic impression: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq_5uw_hcuo  3D
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »

Does Frankie Valli lip-sync at "Four Seasons" shows? If not, his voice has held up very well as well.

Unfortunately, yes.

(I should qualify this. From what I've seen, he's at least not singing live some of the time. And he's "digitally enhanced" in some way.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:05:14 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »

Unfortunately, yes.

(I should qualify this. From what I've seen, he's at least not singing live some of the time. And he's "digitally enhanced" in some way.)
After a couple of clips I can hear it as well. He's certainly singing live but the signature higher parts don't sound 100% 'real'. "Digitally enhanced" - yeah, maybe. But with 'good taste', I'd say. No Robo-Brian.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »

Maybe it's me but I can't here him doing falsetto.

He barely latches onto the notes and it's only for the first three words "to a whole".. Try listening with headphones, you'll hear the unmistakable BW tone in unison with Jeff.

Ah, I think I hear I kinda hear it now. Not very clear though.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 03:16:23 PM »

Unfortunately, yes.

After a couple of clips I can hear it as well. He's certainly singing live but the signature higher parts don't sound 100% 'real'. "Digitally enhanced" - yeah, maybe. But with 'good taste', I'd say. No Robo-Brian.

I caught him live last year and to be honest I couldn't say but I want to say no. What makes me want to say no is the show was beamed on to a pair of huge screens which I looked at very closely during those falsetto numbers. He either was the real deal or very good at hiding it.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 03:20:08 PM »

Unfortunately, yes.

I caught him live last year and to be honest I couldn't say but I want to say no. What makes me want to say no is the show was beamed on to a pair of huge screens which I looked at very closely during those falsetto numbers. He either was the real deal or very good at hiding it.
Well, innocent until proven guilty, I guess. Smiley Some of the recent performances I watched on YT sounded a bit too perfect/clean for a man his age, though.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »

'Sherry' Close up from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtogPu6XmRo&list=PLQOSCpKNA4MfgbWzTWF7-RENGtk5imX1T

Listening to the original "Sherry' and his other falsetto hits, they were sung in a voice shredding style compared to his measured, conservative version today. 

I don't know Valli's history but compared to Brian I think he has cared for his voice. Who knows what cards we get dealt health wise but look at Bruce. Pretty clean cut living and I think a non- smoker but his voice isn't what it once was.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »

Re: Valli - One time I went and compared every recent live version of "Oh, What A Night" back to back *

My conclusion is that it's the same processed vocal track every time. No question. Maybe I'll rip them and sync them up just so we can be 100% sure, but I definitely noticed it without knowing how many other people suspected it as well.

*I'm somewhat obsessed with Valli's part in the song - partially because I compare it to the way BW lost his voice around this time. FV sounds strained and almost like a different person there, imo.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:57:19 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »

There was also his attempting his original falsetto part on "Forever" on one of the last couple Beach Boys shows they all did together last year.

Ahh, yep I remember that. And of course the moment when he whipped out the falsetto at the end of "Please Let Me Wonder".

Here's a great one from the Royal Albert Hall show at 2:29:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsB3s9xDzRI
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »

Re: Valli - One time I went and compared every recent live version of "Oh, What A Night" back to back *

My conclusion is that it's the same processed vocal track every time. No question. Maybe I'll rip them and sync them up just so we can be 100% sure, but I definitely noticed it without knowing how many other people suspected it as well.

*I'm somewhat obsessed with Valli's part in the song - partially because I compare it to the way BW lost his voice around this time. FV sounds strained and almost like a different person there, imo.

Close up again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFFUhbmglHM

If he is singing with a backing track, he is doing it the best of any artist I have ever seen.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »

Ah yes!! There it is!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

Close up again.

If he is singing with a backing track, he is doing it the best of any artist I have ever seen.

I guess when you lip sync to the same vocal track for years, you get pretty good at it  LOL
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »

Maybe people should be sending Brian links to performances by the mature and still amazing Lou Christie.

Well, what's keeping you?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »

Ironically enough - Frankie Valli was a smoker and is also now partially deaf. Completely different circumstances - but sound familiar?

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »

Thanks for posting this, that's beautiful. His smiling at 2:06 makes him look like his former self. It must have been a great night for Brian.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:43:04 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »

Close up again.

I guess when you lip sync to the same vocal track for years, you get pretty good at it  LOL

Oh I'm sure you would. Sorry to harp on about this, but the song 'My Eyes Adored You' was one a poster on youtube accused Valli of lip syncing. Below are 2 clips 5 months apart with a few minor changes. Note the "walking home every day" with the 'every' lengthened on the 2nd clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVBc4g6gBD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi0hntgncTI

Another note on Valli. He uses a pick-up brass section in a lot, if not all his concerts. Could be hard to keep a backing tape secret from them. He's also gone through more Seasons than Mike Love has wives,  yet nobody has talked.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2013, 09:52:03 PM »

Thanks for posting this, that's beautiful. His smiling at 2:06 makes him look like his former self. It must have been a great night for Brian.

Man he enjoyed that gig didn't he. Thumbs Up
zachrwolfe
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:50:27 PM by zatch » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2013, 10:11:03 PM »

I remember sometime during last year, somebody posted a video of Brian singing the high notes in Good Vibrations a few seconds early, before Jeff came in, and Brian NAILED it. I wish I could remember which show it was from.

I think it was at the Grammy performance, an audience recording where the house mix was different to that which went on the TV.
It was actually at one of the shows during the tour, after the Grammy's show. It's bugging me, because I can hear it clearly in my head, but I can't remember which show it was from.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx