gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:01:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW attempts falsetto on TWGMTR Live  (Read 10023 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:44:33 PM »

So, I was listening to an audience tape of the 7/26/13 BAD show. TWGMTR comes on, and what do you know.. you could hear very faintly BW attempting the falsetto part on the line "to a whole new generation".

You can hear him start in falsetto and quickly dip down to the lower octave. Check it out: https://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/twgmtr-live-7-26-13-bad-tour

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »

..and he briefly goes back up at the end of the phrase. The second time, he does it an octave down. I'll be damned.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:50:54 PM by zatch » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »

He hit a couple of the falsettos at the C50 show I saw, including one at the end of 'Hawaii'...then proceeded to royally f*** up This Whole World.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »

Love how he always emphasizes the chart position, lol.  He's still just right around the corner from a REAL HIT, a HUGE HIT!!!!!

Brian probably forgot his role there for a minute and regressed 50 years back to when he was King.  he can't sing Falsetto because he doesn't try, I say let him go out there warts and all singing false in about half of the songs, and he'll sound pretty decent after a few months.  This guy was amazing, he can sing whatever he wants. 

Face it, none of us really care how it sounds.  If he told Jeff "Look Jeff, lets unplug YOUR guitar, and plug in MY keyboard!  YOU sing the middle, I'm takin' the top notes!" we'd all love it.

LONG LIVE BRIAN WILSON!!!!

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:12:13 PM »

Wow, Brian sounds fantastic there.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:17:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:50:50 PM by zatch » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »

He sounded great on This Whole World when I saw them.

EDIT: And he sounds pretty good here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WER04t6oN2Y
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:20:55 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:32:26 PM »

Face it, none of us really care how it sounds.  If he told Jeff "Look Jeff, lets unplug YOUR guitar, and plug in MY keyboard!  YOU sing the middle, I'm takin' the top notes!" we'd all love it.

Hell yes, I'd be thrilled! :D

Consider this: I have a low voice, and when I strain, I sound just like Brian (pitch wise) when he sang This Whole World on C50. Pretty bad and flat. When I eliminate that strain, I can sing it half-decently. We're talking about the guy that had one of the, if not the sweetest high registers in Pop music. Surely if my mediocre baritone-or-whatever-it-is voice can do it, he can. Even if he got a vocal coach or something like he did before the Gershwin album.

Absolutely!  I've got a half-ass decent voice... I'm 34, I can sing a few of those leads decent.  I cannot TOUCH the leads he does so beautifully on the Gershwin album.  I don't have anywhere near the tone or soul in my voice he does.  Why?  ...because even at 70, he's a fantastic singer.  Given time and desire, he could sing a great falsetto.

Little Anthony from the Imperials still sings his falsetto as great as he ever did, and he's older than Brian.  I don't mean it's alright, or passable, I mean it's better than it was on his records in the 50's.  I refuse to believe it's impossible with Brian. 
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »

he can't sing Falsetto because he doesn't try, I say let him go out there warts and all singing false in about half of the songs, and he'll sound pretty decent after a few months.  This guy was amazing, he can sing whatever he wants.  

Exaaactly. I'd bet money that that was the first time he even attempted singing that line in false. The guy has to know he has a legendary falsetto.. even in its current state, the tone is still there. Someone in his camp needs to encourage him to run with it more often. Because since the reunion tour it damn sure seems like he wants to be singing those high parts like the old days. I'd take off key BW falsetto over Foskett any day.

Little Anthony from the Imperials still sings his falsetto as great as he ever did, and he's older than Brian.  I don't mean it's alright, or passable, I mean it's better than it was on his records in the 50's.  I refuse to believe it's impossible with Brian. 

Damn, you're right. Little Anthony still has it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSSmY2gdnVA
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:43:38 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »

I remember sometime during last year, somebody posted a video of Brian singing the high notes in Good Vibrations a few seconds early, before Jeff came in, and Brian NAILED it. I wish I could remember which show it was from. I think Ron might be right to a certain extent. If Brian tried more falsetto lines, he'd probably sound pretty good after some practice. It might also be a good idea for Jeff to lay back a little more and let Brian try harder.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »

I remember sometime during last year, somebody posted a video of Brian singing the high notes in Good Vibrations a few seconds early, before Jeff came in, and Brian NAILED it. I wish I could remember which show it was from. I think Ron might be right to a certain extent. If Brian tried more falsetto lines, he'd probably sound pretty good after some practice. It might also be a good idea for Jeff to lay back a little more and let Brian try harder.
I remember that! It HAS to be about confidence! The guys that I know that speak or record with him regularly say he can still do a good job with it. Those late 70's early 80's years of touring must of caused great embarrassment.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »

He can still do it, the desire just has to be there!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »

He seems to be able to hit the high notes on God Only Knows without too much effort. Why couldn't he do falsetto?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:56:38 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 09:57:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:50:47 PM by zatch » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:50:43 PM by zatch » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 09:58:37 PM »

Another thing too, I know we all attempt to sing along with this sh*t because we love these songs so much.  I can sing a few of those awesome leads he did back in the day... but it will always be much easier for him to sing that stuff, because he recorded them, he's not imitating anything, he's just singing in his natural voice.  

So the reason that he sang "california girls" with that awesome "COULLLLD BE!" in the lead... was beacuse it's natural to him.  He could knock that out.

I hate Mental Illness.  Gosh Darn you Depression.  f*** off self-doubt.  This man was a king among peasants, why the f*** won't somebody prove to Brian that he was one of the greatest ever?  

Ultimately I suppose, it's just not that important to him.  I'll have to be content that he appears to have a loving family, and is doing a good job as a father, that's much more important than whether he cares to sing falsetto anymore.  
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »

Summers Gone live last year. I think hearing may be an issue as well.

Sadly I much of the Woodlands show was not filmed. I'll check just in case. I remember he overshot Jeff who went flat a bit. And also...I made a mistake in that it was Don't Back Down.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 10:02:19 PM »

Summers Gone live last year. I think hearing may be an issue as well.

Has he discussed his hearing at all in recent interviews? He's been deaf in one ear all his life, I wonder how his other ear is holding up after working in the music industry for so long. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »

I don't think he really wears anything to help his hearing, he probably can't be bothered... and on top of that, hell everybody has trouble hearing on stage.  Especially with all those women screaming and throwing their panties on the stage.  What's a Wilson to do?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 04:19:02 AM »

I remember sometime during last year, somebody posted a video of Brian singing the high notes in Good Vibrations a few seconds early, before Jeff came in, and Brian NAILED it. I wish I could remember which show it was from.

I think it was at the Grammy performance, an audience recording where the house mix was different to that which went on the TV.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 05:02:45 AM »

So, I was listening to an audience tape of the 7/26/13 BAD show. TWGMTR comes on, and what do you know.. you could hear very faintly BW attempting the falsetto part on the line "to a whole new generation".

You can hear him start in falsetto and quickly dip down to the lower octave. Check it out: https://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/twgmtr-live-7-26-13-bad-tour

The whole performance sounds pretty good. I usually don't care for TWGMTR played live, but this... Smiley I guess when Brian attempts such vocal stuff he must be really comfortable and enjoying himself. That's a good sign.

Quote from: Sam_BFC
I think it was at the Grammy performance, an audience recording where the house mix was different to that which went on the TV.
That TV mix was atrocious...
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »

Maybe it's me but I can't here him doing falsetto.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »

Maybe it's me but I can't here him doing falsetto.

He barely latches onto the notes and it's only for the first three words "to a whole".. Try listening with headphones, you'll hear the unmistakable BW tone in unison with Jeff.
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »

Maybe people should be sending Brian links to performances by the mature and still amazing Lou Christie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QKpR3l62A

Note how at the beginning of the clip Christie shows how low he can still go as well.  Wow.
(And he seems to be making a nice joke about adjusting his balls....)
Love Lou!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx