gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:34:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What if follow up to ''Holland''  (Read 2746 times)
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »

Iv'e come up with a fan-mix of a what-if follow-up to Holland which would have continued the more prog-like approach of the early 70s instead of going with the full oldies sound of 15 big ones. Ok the dates of the recordings don't match up but I was going for a more ''cohesive'' sound for the whole album. It almost plays out like The Beach Boys' ''country/folk'' album!

here's the lineup if you want to try

Side A

River Song
We Got Love
Michael, Row the Boat Ashore
Hard Times
Rollin' Up To Heaven

Side B

Santa Ana Winds
Lookin' Down the Coast
Out in the Country
Carry Me Home
Back Home

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »

You assume that Hard Times and We Got Love would make the next cut without the writers of those songs even being in the band? Not sure if all of these songs were even written by the time 15BO was out. Otherwise it makes for an interesting tracklist but half of those songs are boots of inferior quality.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »

I don't think Rollin' Up to Heaven would ever have been released short of major edits to the backing vocals.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »

Side A:

River Song
We Got Love
Had To Phone You
Everyone's In Love With You
It's OK

Side B:

Moonshine
Santa Ana Winds
Susi Cincinnati
Back Home
Good Timin
Carry Me Home
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:33:44 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »

depends on how long after Holland we're talkin'

If your talking when Blondie and Ricki were still there I would imagine a lineup something like this...

side1

River Song  (dennis/blondie)
We Got Love  (blondie/Ricci)
Good Timin'  (brian/carl)
Day Break   (mike/al)
Rainbows (dennis/carl)
Carry Me Home (dennis/blondie)

side 2
I Don't Wanna Know (mike/carl)
Hard Times (blondie/Ricci)
In The Country (al)
You're Riding High On The Music (brian)
Glow Crescent Glow (mike)

very little Carl here.. seemed that when Jack R left, he stopped writing,
as for the flow of this material, it really doesn't in its current form ...
but, if it would have been produced back then (slide guitars and Grateful D influence)
perhaps it could have become something more...

imho
Doc Smiley    Smiley

(no Susie Cinncinati, it was just a old B side until 15 Big Ones came around needing more oldie style material...)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:34:59 PM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »

http://wscbbr.tumblr.com/post/53422740427/alternate-early-1974-beach-boys-album

I tried something like this a few months ago. Tried to make it so that it would've been mixed and recorded while Blondie was still in the band, as a lot of songs with him writing or on lead would've been unlikely to have been released after he left. I mean, there still haven't been any released, have there?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »

I really like your tracklist wantsomecorn but iv'e never heard Al's ''Dr.Tom''? Has it ever been booted before?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »

Day Break   (mike/al)

fyi, the song's written solely by mike.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »

Day Break   (mike/al)

fyi, the song's written solely by mike.

I was looking at this more as a song that Al might get more involved in (sharing the lead perhaps)
as I had said.. I'm speculating that these songs would have been reworked for the era (Hollandish)

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

This would have been a great follow up to Holland with lead vocals :

River Song (Carl with Mike on 'rollin on' and Dennis on 'breaks my heart..')
What's Wrong (Dennis)
Moonshine (Ricky)
Friday Night (Blondie)
Dreamer (Carl with Dennis on bridge)
Thoughts of You (Al)

Time (Dennis)
You and I (Blondie)
Pacific Ocean Blue (Mike)
Farewell My Friend (Al)
Rainbows (Carl)
End of the Show (Mike)

As I went through this, I realised its hard to imagine anyone other than Dennis on most of these song. I could imagine Blondie on most of them and Carl on a few. Al with a folk style vocal on some. But its hard to imagine Mike on any of them. Although, he had a pretty soulful lead on All I Wanna Do (and All I Want to Do for that matter), so he was capable.

I know the politics of the band would never have all Dennis songs, but hey! Dreamer, dream on!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 07:46:38 AM »

Revised tracklist! Pretty kickass album even if the sound quality is bad (but part of the charm imo!)  Cool Guy

Side A

River Song (early version)
We Got Love
Iv'e Got a Friend (live)
Ding Dang/Rollin' Up To Heaven

Side B

It's a New Day (all this is that boot)
Back Home (1970 version)
Hard Times (all this is that boot)
Out in the Country
Carry Me Home

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »

Revised tracklist! Pretty kickass album even if the sound quality is bad (but part of the charm imo!)  Cool Guy

Side A

River Song (early version)
We Got Love
Iv'e Got a Friend (live)
Ding Dang/Rollin' Up To Heaven

Side B

It's a New Day (all this is that boot)
Back Home (1970 version)
Hard Times (all this is that boot)
Out in the Country
Carry Me Home

I wish It's a New Day was on MiC. Isn't that Blondie's greatest vocal ever? I love it!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:55:47 AM by SonicVolcano » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »

What's Wrong (Dennis)
Moonshine (Ricky)
Friday Night (Blondie)
Thoughts of You (Al)

Time (Dennis)
You and I (Blondie)
Farewell My Friend (Al)
Rainbows (Carl)
End of the Show (Mike)

As I went through this, I realised its hard to imagine anyone other than Dennis on most of these song. I could imagine Blondie on most of them and Carl on a few. Al with a folk style vocal on some. But its hard to imagine Mike on any of them. Although, he had a pretty soulful lead on All I Wanna Do (and All I Want to Do for that matter), so he was capable.

I know the politics of the band would never have all Dennis songs, but hey! Dreamer, dream on!

Fascinating concept! As much as I've speculated about Beach Boys' vocals on Brian's solo albums (which is everytime I listen to them), I've never considered it on Pacific Ocean Blue, which really isn't that outlandish because the Beach Boys have sung lead vocals on Dennis's songs ("Only With You", "Steamboat", "Baby Blue"). I have to say, though, that it's hard to imagine "Moonshine" and "Thoughts Of You"  without a Dennis lead vocal. Not to disagree with your opinions/choices, just thinking out loud, but "Thoughts Of You" IS Dennis Wilson.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »

What's Wrong (Dennis)
Moonshine (Ricky)
Friday Night (Blondie)
Thoughts of You (Al)

Time (Dennis)
You and I (Blondie)
Farewell My Friend (Al)
Rainbows (Carl)
End of the Show (Mike)

I think this is a very accurate assessment. Never mind incoherent line-ups putting River Song beside Christmas '77 out-takes (it deserves so much better) - Dennis was the band member delivering the real goods in the mid-70's and POB should've been their comeback (with Love You as either a Brian solo or a quirky follow-up).

However, no way you should drop Dennis from the lead on Moonshine. One of his most heartbreaking and heart-felt lead vocals...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:12 PM »

What's Wrong (Dennis)
Moonshine (Ricky)
Friday Night (Blondie)
Thoughts of You (Al)

Time (Dennis)
You and I (Blondie)
Farewell My Friend (Al)
Rainbows (Carl)
End of the Show (Mike)

I think this is a very accurate assessment. Never mind incoherent line-ups putting River Song beside Christmas '77 out-takes (it deserves so much better) - Dennis was the band member delivering the real goods in the mid-70's and POB should've been their comeback (with Love You as either a Brian solo or a quirky follow-up).

However, no way you should drop Dennis from the lead on Moonshine. One of his most heartbreaking and heart-felt lead vocals...

I agree. It was hard to imagine anyone other than Dennis on any of these songs. However, if it was a Beach Boys album, I could only imagine Al's soft folk voice working on Dennis balad's more than his Help Me Rhonda voice on an up beat number. Mike showed some rock n soul on songs like All I Want to Do and All I Wanna Do. Its easy to imagine Carl on River Song or Rainbows. Blondie could probably knock most of these out of the park.

I imagine it would have had a different feeling. But however they did the lead vocals, I trust that a 1974 release if Blondie and Ricky stuck around, could have still been fantastic.

No doubt, the soul on the Dennis solo album wouldn't be matched. Still, musically, there is no question is a logical step (or 3) passed Holland.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »

Sorry to rebump this but iv'e remade my list after MIC and this is seriously becoming one of my top 5 BB releases:

THE BEACH BOYS - Caribou (mid 1974 in a parallel universe where Mike left instead of Blondie and Dennis is now mainly in charge of the band)

1. River Song
2. We Got Love
3. Barnyard Blues
4. California Slide
5. Rollin' Up To Heaven

6. Good Timin'
7. It's a New Day
8. Back Home
9. Hard Times
10. Out in the Country
11. Carry me Home

gfx