gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:24:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys Christmas Album
5 - 12 (17.1%)
4 - 25 (35.7%)
3 - 23 (32.9%)
2 - 10 (14.3%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 64

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys' Christmas Album  (Read 42262 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2013, 07:28:43 PM »

The original Christmas brought much joy but also had more moments of awe and wonder, pain (riding 9 months pregnant on a donkey) and suffering (giving birth in a cold cave) ... not long after followed by a King's decree to slaughter Bethlehem infants in an attempt to eliminate what he thought would be his competition. I love the joy-to-the-world songs (and appreciate Brian's juxtaposition of "let every heart prepare him room" on his cover of the Beach Boys' "Man With All The Toys") but welcome the reflection of those slow, downbeat songs that remind me of why Christmas means so much to so many.

Phil

A very different perspective on the Christmas Album ~ http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-Beach-Boys-All-In-Family-Album.html
Sorry, the page isn't available, it says. I didn't notice it 1st time around, so if it's not that difficult, can it be readable again, Mr. Miglioratti? Thanks in advance.

What you've written about Christmas' history makes much sense & indeed, the holiday has more to it than just joyfulness & lightness. If take into accounts all the events etc., Christmas is originally a solemn time; no wonder that old traditional carols have dark & serious melodies, the a cappella voices of ancient people's choir sing the songs in a non-friendly way (don't know the exact term). However, with that being said, the times have changed & we don't suffer from hunger, The Great Depression & various similar incidents, so there's no need to be down & we must enjoy ourselves celebrating this cheerful holiday, therefore, dig into the other, joyful side of Christmas songs. Though at the end of the day, I think it's up to everyone's taste. And I'm for one more into joyful & positive stuff in music.

2bluesno1fann: SB is a good one, I agree. But how about We're the Kings of Orient Are which is arguably the most favorite by fans here? Additionally, what do you think of the 70s Christmas songs? I know, you're not a big fan of M.I.U., but they arranged slightly differently, not mentioning that they are originals. So, your idea about this record? Also, don't forget there are such songs like Winter Symphony, Morning Christmas, Child of Winter, if you like any of it or not. Would like to read your fresh thoughts, since you're a newbie.

I haven't really given the 70's christmas tracks much of a listen yet, other than Child of Winter which is actually quite decent. I ought to give the other Christmas tracks a listen someday
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 10:01:08 PM »

Thanks for the heads up ~

Beach Boys' Christmas Album ~ All-In-The-Family is now @
http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/beach-boys-christmas-album-all-in-family.html

Phil

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »

The 1964 Xmas Lp is a classic and has stood the test of time well for me.. BB harmonies are a GREAT fit for traditional Xmas music.. This LP has probably sold ZILLIONS since 1964.. BW lead vocals are outstanding.. Now the 1977 XMAS lp.. ? Well I can see why it was rejected.. It is Half assed all the way.. Never should have been  released.. As a boot for collectors its OK but to the masses at XMAS time ..NO WAY.. And using the music from Kona Coast +  Loop De Loop is just plain LAZY + in bad taste.. And im aware of the history of these recordings.. There are some fine songs on here and some  OK songs and some total CRAP.. !  I really like Morning Xmas + Winter Smphony   .. WIRWFC is WAY better..1964 lp 5/5   1977 lp 2/5
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:10 PM »

Child of Winter/Morning Christmas would have made a very nice Yuletide single sometime in the later 70's. The rest? Disposable.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »

Had a listen and I really liked it. Bland in a lot of places and very schmaltzy overall, but there's a good deal of Christmassy charm. Love Man With All The Toys Tongue
Still need to listen to the Ultimate Christmas tracks...

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2013, 01:04:12 AM »

"Santa's Beard" makes me laugh every time I hear it LOL. especially when I watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGQIUnFKvLk

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
KDS
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2015, 11:41:43 AM »

Believe it or not, this is the first Beach Boys album I ever owned. 

I didn't really get into the Beach Boys until around 2006, and didn't become a dedicated fan until I saw them in 2012.

But, in 1990, I got the Boys' Xmas Album on cassette.  I upgraded to CD in 2000.  To me, it's not really Christmastime until I hear Little Saint Nick.

I love all of the originals, especially Al's first lead on Christmas Day.  The standards and all good, with Brian singing the saddest version of Blue Christmas ever. 

doctordoowop
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2016, 06:45:58 PM »

Why  are  the  8   reindeer  reduced to "half a dozen?"
KDS
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 05:18:11 AM »

Why  are  the  8   reindeer  reduced to "half a dozen?"

Accounting error. 

I always wondered about that, too. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 06:22:03 AM »

Two were sick with the flu (Comet & Cupid, I believe) during the 1963 Christmas season. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.