gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680825 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:27:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pictures from "Love and Mercy" biopic  (Read 128380 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »

Cusack looks nothing like Brian. More importantly, he looks even less like Paul Dano. I also can't buy Elizabeth Banks as Melinda. I know there are people who insist Melinda was prettier when she was younger, but I don't think she was ever that skinny or made the effort to be the sexy type. She was a used car dealer. If she thought of herself as sexy, I think she would have tried for a sexier job. The real Melinda just doesn't have that type of vibe.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »

ME-OOOOOOW. What a nasty thing to say about somebody's wife when they were younger and more attractive.

So what are the better options, then?

Also, go into a car dealership in Southern California. Especially the ones Brian would be at. Tell me they don't hire attractive women. Also, good luck convincing Hollywood to cast a homelier breed of blonde.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:45:58 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 11:33:04 AM »

I think people are a little too hung up on how little these actors look like the people they're portraying.  For all I care, it can be Denzel Washington playing Brian...it doesn't matter.  It's about the story and the events that these characters go through in the film that define them.   The actors are nothing more than a vague representation of the person they're portraying.  I'm not going to enjoy this film any more if they cloned Brian Wilson to play himself in the movie.  In the end, it's his journey that is the focus not whether the actor playing Brian has his double chin.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »

It's ridiculous to expect otherwise from a biopic! What kind of weird standard would that be? "Let's cast a celebrity lookalike rather than a good actor" would lead to incredibly bad movies.

All during The Last Emperor I couldn't help but think that guy looked NOTHING like Pu Yi. I want my money back!

"Goodfellas was ok and all, but man -- your nose is all wrong."

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:44:46 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »

Cusack looks nothing like Brian. More importantly, he looks even less like Paul Dano. I also can't buy Elizabeth Banks as Melinda. I know there are people who insist Melinda was prettier when she was younger, but I don't think she was ever that skinny or made the effort to be the sexy type. She was a used car dealer. If she thought of herself as sexy, I think she would have tried for a sexier job. The real Melinda just doesn't have that type of vibe.

She was a model before she sold cars. Models don't tend to be average-looking.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »

Cusack is going to rock this. Mark my words. Smiley
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »

Cusack is going to rock this. Mark my words. Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkK0j3pT6l0

First (unofficial) glimpse of an L&M scene. I would never have guessed the actors were supposed to be portraying Brian and Melinda if I hadn't known about the upcoming film.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »

To be fair, the movements are perfect. He may not look just like Brian, but to me it's more about the portrayal and not the looks.

EDIT: Watched again, from the side, it looks just like Brian from the period.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:14:37 PM by FatherOfTheMan (Vito Salulation) » Logged

pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »

Teresa Cowles (awesome bass player from Adam Marsland's Chaos band) is playing Carol Kaye...

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »

HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »

I don't know why people think I was calling Melinda Wilson ugly, because I wasn't. I just was saying she's not a woman who pushes her "sexy" side. Women come in different types. There are women who have good looks who become Playboy models and TV actresses and play up their sexiness, and there are other good-looking women who become things such as TV journalists, or real estate and car salespersons. Melinda is more of the latter type. Even when she was a model, she was a store model showing off expensive designer dresses in Beverly Hills boutiques (tasteful, and a sort of sales job), not a Victoria's Secret catalog model or car show model.

If I were to choose an actress who would have made a good Melinda Wilson, but the actress isn't old enough yet, it would be Jennifer Lawrence. She radiates self-confidence and competence. Melinda is a strong, practical, no-nonsense type of woman, I think that's what I was driving at.  That's not exactly an insult.  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:06:20 PM by KittyKat » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »

Incidentally, here's something Cusack posted on his Twitter recently:

"Listen to this glorious music like a waking dream"
What is his twitter account?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »

HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP

I'm telling ya, Brian's colored his hair! Now, have it done a little more consistently, take care of that neck, and he'll look ten years younger! Grin
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »

He's gotta go back to the pop Beethoven look:

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »

The hair coloring does not suit him at all.  He should stick to all naturale!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2013, 11:12:13 PM »

jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2013, 11:14:58 PM »

Justin you just beat me to it! 

This was posted on Brian's Facebook today.  Giamatti looks like he's dressed in character, so is it safe to assume that Cusak is too and they are filming at Oceanway?  I'm very surprised that Cusak-as-Brian isn't using more makeup to make him look at least a little like Brian??
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:16:29 PM by jeffcdo » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »

I don't know why people think I was calling Melinda Wilson ugly, because I wasn't. I just was saying she's not a woman who pushes her "sexy" side. Women come in different types. There are women who have good looks who become Playboy models and TV actresses and play up their sexiness, and there are other good-looking women who become things such as TV journalists, or real estate and car salespersons. Melinda is more of the latter type. Even when she was a model, she was a store model showing off expensive designer dresses in Beverly Hills boutiques (tasteful, and a sort of sales job), not a Victoria's Secret catalog model or car show model.

If I were to choose an actress who would have made a good Melinda Wilson, but the actress isn't old enough yet, it would be Jennifer Lawrence. She radiates self-confidence and competence. Melinda is a strong, practical, no-nonsense type of woman, I think that's what I was driving at.  That's not exactly an insult.  

Well, I didn't think what you wrote was offensive.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2013, 11:21:13 PM »

Who's that guy playing Al in this picture? He looks pretty real! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2013, 11:27:42 PM »

I think people are a little too hung up on how little these actors look like the people they're portraying.  For all I care, it can be Denzel Washington playing Brian...it doesn't matter.  It's about the story and the events that these characters go through in the film that define them.   The actors are nothing more than a vague representation of the person they're portraying.  I'm not going to enjoy this film any more if they cloned Brian Wilson to play himself in the movie.  In the end, it's his journey that is the focus not whether the actor playing Brian has his double chin.

Agreed (for the most part): I'd rather have a quality actor than a lackluster doppelganger.  However, I do hope that there will be some editing done (lighting, color correction, etc.) that makes Cusack look a bit more like Brian.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2013, 12:21:32 AM »

It occurred to me looking at these pics that Cusak doesn't look like Brian but he does look like an older Paul Dano.

So there's that.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2013, 07:18:53 AM »

Who's that guy playing Al in this picture? He looks pretty real! Grin

I'd feel super awkward if I were Paul Giamatti...portraying this person who you know had such a negative and complicated impact on Brian's life, right in the same room as Brian.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2013, 07:23:57 AM »

maybe awkward....... but he was the only one who did get through to Brian........ and saved his life perhaps......

what's that worth?

RickB
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2013, 07:59:53 AM »

I'd feel super awkward if I were Paul Giamatti...portraying this person who you know had such a negative and complicated impact on Brian's life, right in the same room as Brian.
Why that? On the contrary, it's a big honor for Giamatti to play the villain because most of the time it's not the easiest role that takes a lot of effort & acting skills to convince the audience in their negativity, make people hate them etc. That's the reason many actors receive the Oscar for playing namely antagonists. I myself find them the most interesting characters in films.

2KittyKat: I checked up that Jennifer Lawrence actress & didn't see any similarities with Melinda. Or maybe I missed sth. & there are actually several actresses with such name? Since it happens sometimes?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2013, 08:06:25 AM »

Why that? On the contrary, it's a big honor for Giamatti to play the villain because most of the time it's not the easiest role that takes a lot of effort & acting skills to convince the audience in their negativity, make people hate them etc. That's the reason many actors receive the Oscar for playing namely antagonists. I myself find them the most interesting characters in films.

It is an honor, and I don't mean that Giamatti would feel awkward in general, just that first moment meeting Brian in character.  I mean, if I met somebody dressed up as a person from my past that I had a complicated, emotional relationship with, it would be a little..."Oh, Hi."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx