gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:25:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pictures from "Love and Mercy" biopic  (Read 127825 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 24, 2014, 10:52:59 PM »

And another still of Cusack and Elizabeth Banks.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 25, 2014, 12:48:19 AM »

Paul Dano as Brian Wilson

It is amazing. Everything's done right, I think. In fact, I was scrolling down to scan this thread, and mistakenly thought: oh, a BW piccie at the pool, nice, and went down farther, only to discover that it actually wasn't BW but the man portraying him... so there is definitely something very, very right here.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 25, 2014, 04:27:14 AM »

http://www.tiff.net/festivals/thefestival/programmes/specialpresentations/love-mercy

Nothing new, but a higher resolution photo of Dano as Brian.
Brian's been taken off the producer billing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 25, 2014, 07:07:33 AM »

http://www.tiff.net/festivals/thefestival/programmes/specialpresentations/love-mercy

Nothing new, but a higher resolution photo of Dano as Brian.
Brian's been taken off the producer billing.

Can't see that as any sort of significant problem.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »

Just wondering...  do we think there will be original Beach Boys music on the soundtrack?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 25, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »

No clue

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 25, 2014, 11:43:33 AM »

Here's a quote from the director Bill Pohlad,  from the LA Times back in 2011:

I have no interest in making a biopic.…What's fascinating to me is to look at the different elements in his life, like that super-creative period when he was doing Pet Sounds and the later part when he was redeemed.…You don't have to know the music here in the same way you didn't have to know the math in Beautiful Mind…What we want to do is let you experience the story in a personal way.

I doubt there will be much Beach Boy music in it because the rights to it are very expensive. The last film project to feature a lot of original Beach Boys music, American Family, cost millions of dollars in music rights, to the point that it took up almost one-third of the total budget.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 25, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »

but, I don't know how that all works, but using 'beach boys' music, wouldn't they be kinda paying themselves anyway for the use?Huh

I thought 'Brother' get heaps for using songs in movies....??....

RickB
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 25, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »

The last film project to feature a lot of original Beach Boys music, American Family, cost millions of dollars in music rights, to the point that it took up almost one-third of the total budget.
Huh. You got a source for that?

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 25, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »

Just wondering...  do we think there will be original Beach Boys music on the soundtrack?
I place my bet (& just being positive) that there will be orig. BBs music on OST. If a little.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 25, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »

Here's a quote from the director Bill Pohlad,  from the LA Times back in 2011:

I have no interest in making a biopic.…What's fascinating to me is to look at the different elements in his life, like that super-creative period when he was doing Pet Sounds and the later part when he was redeemed.…You don't have to know the music here in the same way you didn't have to know the math in Beautiful Mind…What we want to do is let you experience the story in a personal way.

I doubt there will be much Beach Boy music in it because the rights to it are very expensive. The last film project to feature a lot of original Beach Boys music, American Family, cost millions of dollars in music rights, to the point that it took up almost one-third of the total budget.

I think you're incredibly wrong.

I think there will be as much Beach Boys music on there as needed. I'm not sure how the movie is structured or what it'll be like, but whenever an original Beach Boys record will be needed, I'm sure it'll be used. This is a big Hollywood production about Brian Wilson, given the blessing by Brian Wilson. There will be Beach Boys music.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 25, 2014, 10:06:34 PM »

It's an independent production. It's not a major studio financed movie or a movie financed by a big TV network like ABC (American Family).  It was financed by individual investors.  I guess we'll know when the movie is released. It may also use non-original versions of Beach Boys songs. They can show Paul Dano singing a song at the piano as he writes it rather than having the original record playing.

I can't find a link to the quote for what the song rights cost for "American Family," but remember an interview with John Stamos in which he said the cost for using original recordings of Beach Boys songs ran into the millions. I looked up the movie on IMDb, and it only listed 15 songs total, but I'm not sure that was the definitive list or not. In any case, it's not uncommon for the rights to a major hit to run into six figures for one use.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 25, 2014, 10:23:12 PM »

Expensive or not, it's all boring, I'm not here to discuss business side, I'm waiting for seeing the movie (read for entertainment), so I seriously hope you are wrong & even if not - well, at least we'll get to hear the actors' singing & for fun compare them to original voices, did they manage to replicate the sound of The BBs & stuff (read fine acting).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »

Considering the movie is going to be a large chunk of Brian's life with Landy and afterwards, there may not be a lot of time devoted to the Beach Boys years, anyways. They only have to feature maybe four or five key tracks to highlight his biggest hits with the Beach Boys. The rest of the film can use his solo work. They might use a mixture of the old studio recordings with freshly done remakes. Brian himself mentioned that he liked John Cusack's singing, and Paul Dano said he learned piano before undertaking the role. It would seem natural that those actors did at least a bit of singing and playing themselves. It would make a better match for their speaking voices than the way it was done for a piano-and-voice scene in "American Family," where they had the middle-aged Brian Wilson do the singing voice for the young actor who played him. It sounded completely out of place.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: July 25, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »

It is amazing. Everything's done right, I think. In fact, I was scrolling down to scan this thread, and mistakenly thought: oh, a BW piccie at the pool, nice, and went down farther, only to discover that it actually wasn't BW but the man portraying him... so there is definitely something very, very right here.

Maybe it's me, but at first glance I thought it was Stebbins.   Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: July 28, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »

The rest of the film can use his solo work.
There is a lot of good stuff during his solo years, so I'll be glad for that too.

Brian himself mentioned that he liked John Cusack's singing
Well, if Brian said so, I believe him, he has a dog ear. Although, having seen "1408" in Russian but with audible English, I didn't think John had nice speaking voice, more so, it was boring. I read that there's not much difference between the actual voice & singing, & once you heard someone talking you can easily imagine them singing. Maybe John is an exception from the rule, like many are (edit: i.e. dull voice-pleasant singing & pleasant voice-singing nothing special).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:20:50 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 28, 2014, 07:08:13 AM »

Maybe it's me, but at first glance I thought it was Stebbins.   Smiley

Cheesy

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 28, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »

For a preview of  Dano playing a character as a troubled creative writer on an emotional rollercoaster, see Ruby Sparks before seeing Love and Mercy.  I'm sure this has been discussed previoiusly on this thread but it is worth mentioning again IMO.
Nicko1234
« Reply #468 on: July 28, 2014, 08:36:19 AM »

but, I don't know how that all works, but using 'beach boys' music, wouldn't they be kinda paying themselves anyway for the use?Huh

I thought 'Brother' get heaps for using songs in movies....??....

RickB

The publishing is still owned elsewhere though right?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:41 AM »

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 08, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »

LOVE & MERCY: THE LIVES, TIMES AND MUSIC OF BRIAN WILSON REIMAGINED

I really hope that's not the name of the movie

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/film/love-and-mercy-the-lives-times-and-music-of-brian-wilson-reimagined

zachrwolfe
« Reply #471 on: August 08, 2014, 01:42:47 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:04:18 PM by zatch » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 11, 2014, 05:16:17 PM »

Not sure what to think of John Cusack's look in the film

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 11, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »

That reminds me - I had a dream last night that I met John Cusack in a shopping mall, he was surrounded by fans, and I walked up to him and asked him to do his impression of Brian Wilson. He just looked at me, and I woke up. Huh

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 11, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »

Hi all,

I like the way everyone is talking abut how they feel.  Yet it isn't who looks like the person it is who has that best agent that gets the person the part in a movie. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx