gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:19:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pictures from "Love and Mercy" biopic  (Read 127820 times)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »

Nice find!

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: October 31, 2013, 04:33:34 AM »

Would Carol have received performance royalties or residuals if she would have won such a lawsuit?  Or do only official members of bands get performing royalties from records? I've always been confused by that.  Other than prestige, I'm not sure what studio musicians get from claiming to have performed on records. But if there are money claims involved, maybe it's more complicated than that.

At one point she was looking into legal action that she hoped would result in royalty payments to session musicians for their work on TV themes, movie soundtracks, and hit records.  She felt this was warranted because these players sometimes contributed licks or other ideas that constituted creative input.  Kinda all makes sense now, doesn't it?
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2013, 07:17:01 AM »

Paul Dano playing Bryan Wilsun?? Cool! But i heard (can't remember if someone told me or if i read it on the internet) that the only good thing he ever did was Pet Sounds. How can you make an entire movie about one album??!

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 31, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »

Who's playing Marilyn and Diane?

Anyone else notice the mislabelled photo of the original BB for the Surfin' Safari photoshoot  - 1970?  Who does the paper's research?

I think Elizabeth Banks is hot and am excited to see her as Melinda.  Hopefully there will be some nudity in the film!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 01, 2013, 01:48:07 AM »

Who's playing Marilyn and Diane?

Anyone else notice the mislabelled photo of the original BB for the Surfin' Safari photoshoot  - 1970?  Who does the paper's research?

I think Elizabeth Banks is hot and am excited to see her as Melinda.  Hopefully there will be some nudity in the film!
um

Well, if IMDb is correct, Marilyn will be played by Erin Darke and Diane will be played by Gretchen Duerksen. Smiley

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2013, 02:00:10 AM »

Hopefully there will be some nudity in the film!

You're probably joking but in case you aren't, I can't imagine how nudity would be incorporated in a film about Brian Wilson without it being gratuitous, I wouldn't bet on it.  LOL

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 01, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »

From Brian's Facebook:

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/2013/11/1/paul-dano-talks-about-love-mercy

"Well Oren is my friend now, and he’s a great guy. He’s a wonderful writer like you said. I don’t wanna give away what he wrote, but I will say that, I think that he tried to capture Brian’s spirit as well as tell a story. I don’t think it’s a totally traditional biopic. I think it’s gonna be a fun and accessible film, and I think it’s hopefully going to be interesting, like the man that it’s depicting. I think he did an amazing job cracking this story, and I can’t imagine anyone else having done it, aside from him. I know they tried to make movies about Brian for a long time, and I think music stories are tough to tell in an interesting way. The fact that Bill [Polad] got Oren to write it is really also a smart choice on his behalf."

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 19, 2013, 12:35:50 AM »

http://theblot.com/paul-giamatti-talks-hair-and-movies-776723
Interview done last month w/ Paul Giamatti.

On Love & Mercy: It's a tough story to tell, I mean the whole thing. It's mostly about Brian Wilson's nervous breakdown. It falls into two halves with two different actors. First it's Paul Dano, and John Cusack is the older one. I play Dr. Landy, the crazy psychotherapist. It's a great character. Brian Wilson had a severe freakout and his family got in touch with a psychotherapist out in L.A. named Eugene Landy who took over. That's where most of the story comes from, because the doctor was basically insane. He made Brian play in a sandbox, I mean crazy stuff.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 19, 2013, 06:37:36 AM »

http://theblot.com/paul-giamatti-talks-hair-and-movies-776723
Interview done last month w/ Paul Giamatti.

… the doctor was basically insane. He made Brian play in a sandbox, I mean crazy stuff…[/b]

… runs to reference books to check the chronology…

… I can't imagine how nudity would be incorporated in a film about Brian Wilson without it being gratuitous…

Well they could show Dennis having his way with a girl in the studio during the All I Want To Do sessions, or Dennis having his way with any of the other Beach Boys' wives… or they could compromise and just show BW taking a dump with the loo door open, as portrayed in (I think) the Brian Wilson Project narratives.

But I hope they're better than that…

“We live in divisive times.”
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 19, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »

I think anyone on this board will have major issues with the liberties taken with the truth and the facts as we know them when we see Love & Mercy. What I am hoping is that a non-linear presentation of the story will add to the story that we think we all know well. I have faith in Oren Moverman, the screenwriter for Love & Mercy and the screenwriter for I'm Not There, which really was a great celebration of all things Bob Dylan.

Basically I'll take I'm Not There for Brian Wilson--that would also mean other artists reinterpreting his music rather than Brian rarities on a soundtrack. I'd take that tradeoff.

Would you? Would you take a mediocre film with a killer soundtrack, or a great film with a mediocre soundtrack?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »

Would you take a mediocre film with a killer soundtrack, or a great film with a mediocre soundtrack?

The latter.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 19, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

Isn't there a third actor who plays "fat Brian"? Or was that some misinformation put out along the way?

I never knew Dr. Landy had Brian do sandbox therapy. Maybe I haven't read "Wouldn't It Be Nice: My Story" in a long time, or Brian didn't include it, or they took the sandbox out of 1967 and updated it. Or maybe it's supposed to be Brian's ''70s SNL appearance, where he played a piano in a sandbox?
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 19, 2013, 06:49:57 PM »

Will there be any new or unreleased songs in the film ?
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 19, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »

I just want to remind everyone that it is a biopic - not a documentary. I'm sure liberties will be taken in the script and events will not be completely chronologically accurate. I'm excited for the movie !
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 19, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »

I just want to remind everyone that it is a biopic - not a documentary. I'm sure liberties will be taken in the script and events will not be completely chronologically accurate. I'm excited for the movie !

I, too, am excited to see an artistic rendering of the life and times of BW….we have enough docs out there on him and the Boys. I am ready for dramatic license and I am not incensed by the lack of knowledge of some of the film's leads in the actual history of BW. This movie is art…you want science grab a biography or rent a documentary
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: November 19, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »

I think the playing in the sandbox bit was referring to BW playing GV on SNL in a sandbox. At least I hope. Hate to see him on film building sand castles...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2013, 04:10:42 AM »

I just want it to be good, in all respects, to be even-handed and not too historically inaccurate. I'll settle for "not embarrassing".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2014, 06:14:52 PM »

New interview with Paul Dano where he speaks a little about the movie:

There isn't, it seems, much room for levity when you take what you do this seriously. I'm glad for his sake, then, that his next film is a little sunnier. He'll play the Beach Boy Brian Wilson in the forthcoming biopic Love & Mercy, a character Dano calls "a little more goofy and childlike" and a shoot he summarises as "probably some of the most fun I've ever had". He went straight from filming Prisoners to this, and considers such a change of character "one weird payoff" in that "by dipping into the darkness it made it easier to go towards the light afterwards". Any biopic of Wilson will not be without its darker moments, however, and such characters do seem to have more of a claim over Dano than the light ones.

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »

New interview with Paul Dano where he speaks a little about the movie:

There isn't, it seems, much room for levity when you take what you do this seriously. I'm glad for his sake, then, that his next film is a little sunnier. He'll play the Beach Boy Brian Wilson in the forthcoming biopic Love & Mercy, a character Dano calls "a little more goofy and childlike" and a shoot he summarises as "probably some of the most fun I've ever had". He went straight from filming Prisoners to this, and considers such a change of character "one weird payoff" in that "by dipping into the darkness it made it easier to go towards the light afterwards". Any biopic of Wilson will not be without its darker moments, however, and such characters do seem to have more of a claim over Dano than the light ones.
I thought Dano was one of the best things about '12 Years A Slave' and in 'There Will Be Blood' he gives a great performance. I'm very interested to see his portrayal of Brian Wilson; much moreso than Cusack's.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »

Imagine it's the next "walk the line", that would be mind blowing.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Grayhands
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »

Imagine it's the next "walk the line", that would be mind blowing.

Totally, or the next 'Ray'
Also something to note if it hasn't been said already, on the imdb casting section it shows a person playing Brian Wilson 'present'. Will be interesting to see how they incorporate that, possibly as last few moments of the film?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2014, 01:22:26 AM »

Agree in full, Chris. For two reasons:

1. IMHO we know so much factual history by now. Even if the 'autobiography' by Todd Gold, with minimal co-operation from Brian, wasn't at all what it purported to be (but because of Landy's clear influence, it's an unmissable curio, for the fans), there is the Ames Carlin book, Timothy White's (for a wider perspective), David Leaf's work, Jon Stebbins, Paul Williams' book, and the countless articles in many magazines and papers. We can quite well put the puzzle together, and there are TV documentaries, of course, the efforts by Don Was, Malcolm Leo, the 'Beautiful Dreamer' film. And much more.

2. The life story of Brian lends itself to various forms of serious 're-interpretation', you may also read: 're-creation' here - but only in the hands of capable people, artists themselves, who know and feel what they are dealing with. There aren't that many musicians around of whom one can say that. Bob Dylan certainly belongs to this select company (as has been proven with 'I'm Not There'). Brian makes for a intriguing, wonderful subject in this respect. Perhaps Alex Chilton, Syd Barrett, John Fahey could be candidates too (a few guesses by yours truly, you have your own proposals, of course). But these would have a smaller target audience.

In brief: I can't wait to see the finished product.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 26, 2014, 09:30:01 AM »

I thought this was kind of adorable:

Smiley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 06, 2014, 01:19:17 AM »

I recently re-watched my favorite TV-series "Spellbinder" (2 seasons) & it caught my notice that some of the actors could easily be playing the roles of the BBs. Especially this guy (Ryan Kwanten) looks very like Brian:

Candidates for Mike, Polish & Australian; judge who better suits:

Zbych Trofimiuk as Al, kind of similar petite face structure:

And unrelatedly, here's a character Correon from the 1st season that resembled me our fellow Mr. Manning:

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2014, 07:28:28 AM »

This just in..

Quote from: Brian Wilson's Facebook page
Teresa Cowles plays Carol Kaye in the upcoming feature "Love & Mercy," based on Brian's life.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx