gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:51:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200750 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 21, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »

Brian looks on the verge of a wardrobe malfunction.  Shocked

Though I think it's an optical illusion (it looks like the button placket has an orange tag on the bottom, unless that really is a tiny portion of his belly).

Sloppy eating/dribbling

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 21, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »

I know the quote with Blondie was supposed to be funny, but actually I'm sure he's seen bigger crowds than any of the other guys lately...since, ya know, he was playing with the Rolling effin' Stones.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 21, 2013, 06:45:28 PM »

I know the quote with Blondie was supposed to be funny, but actually I'm sure he's seen bigger crowds than any of the other guys lately...since, ya know, he was playing with the Rolling effin' Stones.

Yeah I know, but actually singing lead and being in the forefront

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 21, 2013, 07:34:53 PM »

Anybody spot a pro-video crew shooting this? 

Not at all.  Not one camera guy roaming the stage, crowd or anywhere in the vicinity of the venue.  The only cameras were the stationary ones installed into the stage to capture the action for the screens on either side.  Plus, it wasn't exactly a flawless performance.  There were a few hiccups (vocal issues mentioned earlier) so it wouldn't exactly have been THE best performance to shoot.  The best we're going to get are probably Ontor's videos which are usually great. 

Ah well, thats the breaks. The you tube stuff is better than nothing. It just eats up my 300mb daily satellite bandwidth like crazy.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: October 21, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »

Read a huge amount of negative comments about Jeff Beck's set on twitter when I was searching for pics and videos, was sad to read but I'm glad he was received well by the crowd at the show.

Personally I'm not at fan off Jeff's but I think he's somehow bringing out the best in Brian for this tour

Hm, odd that most reports say that it appears that half the crowd are there for Jeff Beck, based on cheers (I guess), but that Jeff's fans don't criticize Brian on Twitter. Either Jeff's fans are enjoying Brian, or they're more polite than Brian's fans, or they're not on Twitter.

Is Jeff Beck the new Mike Love to the Brianistas?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #880 on: October 21, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »

Some videos:

Wild Honey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQyXQb0jV3A&feature=youtu.be

That's Not Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4tKjg-TCc&feature=youtu.be

Caroline, No
http://youtu.be/eBls56N6CO0

Our Prayer/Surf's Up
http://youtu.be/17KWAjNB7Uw

You Still Believe In Me (sorry about the cut in the middle---security came around)
http://youtu.be/1LFfDwnzW5s

While Brian sounds good to great on Caroline and YSBIM, he's absolutely terrible on That's Not Me. Nor do I think that Blondie's WH performance was stellar. Still I hope there'll be Brian concerts over here again one day. Or several days.

Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 21, 2013, 11:24:57 PM »

You know, I'd much rather have Brian just try and sing on something like the part of "Caroline, No" that Jeff does. While I definitely appreciate all that Jeff has done over the years, and something like "Don't Worry Baby" is fine for him, I'd take warbly, sometimes off-key Brian anyday.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 22, 2013, 12:09:28 AM »

How on earth did Lou Reed sneak onto the stage?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #883 on: October 22, 2013, 02:31:42 AM »

I knew I'd heard that voice before! Grin

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 22, 2013, 08:16:20 AM »

now that would be the most hilarious tour ever!!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: October 22, 2013, 07:10:27 PM »

Surprised no one has posted this yet:

Review: Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck at the Greek Theatre

By Randy Lewis

October 21, 2013

Who'd have guessed that the intersection point in Sunday’s odd couple pairing at the Greek Theatre -- Beach Boys architect Brian Wilson and English guitar hero Jeff Beck -- would turn out to be a lovely expanse of musical landscape somewhere outside Dublin?

But at the end of the night, after Wilson and his skilled rock orchestra played for an hour before Beck and his proficient quintet served up their own set of exploratory rock, blues, jazz and funk, they came together for an all-hands-on-deck rendition of “Danny Boy.”

Treacly as that song can be in lesser hands, Beck’s mastery of the electric guitar infused a gorgeous tone into the heart-tugging melody, while Wilson matched him goose bump for goose bump with his signature vocal harmonies.

The tour that Wilson, 71, and Beck, 69, have been on together for several weeks began modestly enough. Wilson invited Beck to add his distinctive instrumental voice to a new track Wilson was working on recently, a collaboration that since has expanded into the pair writing and recording several songs. How or when recordings might surface remains to be seen, but Sunday there was clearly a deep musical bond between the two.

In addition to “Danny Boy,” their combined three-song set late in the game allowed Beck to  make the doo-wop throwaway “Barbara Ann” live and breathe anew. His work during “Surfing U.S.A.” became a master class demonstration in how Beck and his British peers took the guitar-centric template created by Chuck Berry and launched it into the musical stratosphere a few years later.

Originally, the show was to be a return to, and expansion of, the Brian Wilson Band’s touring after last year’s digression for the 50th anniversary Beach Boys reunion tour. That ended on something of a sour note when founding member Mike Love, who had been granted the sole right to use the Beach Boys name professionally, announced that he was done with the reunion activities and would return to his long-running, scaled-down band minus the services of his cousin Brian, who represents the musical heart and soul of the Beach Boys, or original members Al Jardine and David Marks, who’d been on board for the reunion shows.

Wilson booked the new round of solo concerts with Jardine and Marks along as special guests, then added Beck and his band to the lineup after their studio work had turned out so satisfying for both. Subsequently, Wilson also brought in former Beach Boy Blondie Chaplin, who’d briefly been a full-fledged member in the early 1970s, bringing to the show the services of four official Beach Boys for a small handful of dates.

When the Wilson-Beck tour hit New York last week, Wilson spontaneously decided to perform the entire “Pet Sounds” album, widely regarded as the Beach Boys’ crowning musical achievement, then announced that he’d also include it for the hometown crowd when the show reached Los Angeles.

Wilson’s portion of the evening began with “California Girls,” that wondrous “pocket symphony” he crafted 48 years ago. Next up was a stunning a cappella rendering of “Their Hearts Were Full of Spring” -- the song the teenage Beach Boys sang for Jardine’s mother to persuade her to lend them enough money to buy decent equipment and pursue their dream of becoming a legit rock 'n' roll band.

Chaplin then came onstage to sing two songs from the era in which he was part of the band, the soulful “Sail on Sailor” and the psychedelically minded “Wild Honey,” and then, with no fanfare, Wilson and company moved into the “Pet Sounds” album.

Wilson has never fully regained the voice that was severely damaged both by his nervous breakdown and years of drug abuse, but it has slowly improved in the decade and a half since he decided to return to live performance. His lead vocal on “That’s Not Me” was uncharacteristically off pitch in the outset, but he regained his footing by the time the set reached “God Only Knows,” on which he handled the lead originally sung by his brother Carl.

He also credibly took the lead on the album closing song “Caroline, No,” which earned him a standing ovation from the capacity audience for one of the masterpieces of pop music that was created just a few miles away.

Following a four-song mini-set of Beach Boys hits -- “Good Vibrations,” “Help Me Rhonda,” “I Get Around” and “Fun, Fun, Fun” -- Wilson ceded the stage to Beck.

With his signature shag haircut, a white sleeveless shirt under a dark vest, black pants and motorcycle boots, Beck strapped on his ivory Fender Stratocaster and  opened with “Eternity’s Breath/Stratus,” his four-piece band including violinist Lizzie Ball, who helped him emphasize a John McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orchestra jazz-rock fusion sound in “Even Odds,” from his 1999 “Who Else!” album.

World-music threads also were woven into guitarist Nicholas Meier’s flamenco-like intro to the Hendrix classic “Little Wing.” The first meeting of the two camps came when Wilson brought his band out for “Our Prayer,” the wordless choral opening from the “Smile” album that led into an instrumental reading of “Surf’s Up,” Beck showcasing melodic beauty and tonal color over any gratuitous guitar histrionics.

Wilson and his bandmates added whimsical train sounds as Beck and his group powered through the Muddy Waters blues standard “Rollin’ and Tumblin’.” Beck’s set concluded with his exquisitely haunting version of the Beatles' “A Day in the Life,” demonstrating again the power of music to reach more deeply than words can ever go.

And there was the common ground: music for music’s sake. Wilson is primarily a composer who has relied on lyricists including Love, Roger Christian, Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks, and his gift first and foremost has been one of melodic and harmonic invention. Beck in his career has demonstrated time and again that emotional expressivity trumps technical fireworks every time.

Good vibrations, indeed.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-jeff-beck-review-greek-theatre-20131021,0,1840764.story#axzz2iVUMWJ1g
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 22, 2013, 07:29:01 PM »

^ That review captures this tour better than any other I've read so far.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 22, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »

I know, doesn't it?  I had mixed emotions about even seeing this show, but Randy really captured my feelings about it,  too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #888 on: October 22, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »

You know, I'd much rather have Brian just try and sing on something like the part of "Caroline, No" that Jeff does. While I definitely appreciate all that Jeff has done over the years, and something like "Don't Worry Baby" is fine for him, I'd take warbly, sometimes off-key Brian anyday.

I agree. I don't like the switching off to Jeff on CN. It's abrupt and does not fit well IMHO.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 22, 2013, 08:16:25 PM »

I like it better than this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-valania/top-10-things-i-learned-s_b_4119926.html#es_share_ended
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 22, 2013, 09:09:11 PM »

Very positive.  This is different, moving, some of the earlier reviews had more humor, but now that Brian is raising the bar with Pet Sounds, you can feel him hitting a stride, the serious writers are coming out.  ontor has been strangely silent so far after attending this show...I'm sure he's still under the sway.  The magic of sharing a room with Brian and this set must be powerful.  You can almost live the show in this review.  Really Good.  Thanks for posting Ed.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: October 22, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »

Strangely silent indeed! Literally. I'm gearing up for a show in Houston this week with a live score to my collage flick "Silent Shadow of The Bat-Man" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6LtbEWwcfc   -- so a bit distracted, back to normal by Sundayish!

...but I am messing with editing a crazy swirl of Wild Honey right this very second! Along with I Know There's an Answer.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:26:15 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 22, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »

I like it better than this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-valania/top-10-things-i-learned-s_b_4119926.html#es_share_ended

For some reason I found that very annoying

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 22, 2013, 10:53:31 PM »

Strangely silent indeed! Literally. I'm gearing up for a show in Houston this week with a live score to my collage flick "Silent Shadow of The Bat-Man" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6LtbEWwcfc   -- so a bit distracted, back to normal by Sundayish!

...but I am messing with editing a crazy swirl of Wild Honey right this very second! Along with I Know There's an Answer.
Hi,  Took me awhile to get back from the movie.  Evil Holy Halloween Bat-Man! Nice to see you checking in.  Went to the geniusboy...site, and watched both parts.  I'm Impressed. Hope the mods don't mind if I break into the thread a bit, the Oakland show is probably still going on... so, this is the same movie with a new score?  I'll watch the rest of the hour-long take tomorrow, It's 1:30am over here on the east coast.  Good Luck in Houston. 
...Armed with strange weapons and potions.
Winged figure of Vengeance.
Acts with Speed of Thought.
A lone battle against Evil forces...
To the Chief of Police, Au revoir -
I'm Going to the Country for a Short Vacation.
Well, that sounds mysteriously like you
I got to get to bed, the reviews will be in soon.  Here's your thread back.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #894 on: October 22, 2013, 11:01:25 PM »

Danke!

Meanwhile:

http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainment/celebrity/beach-boys-star-brian-wilson-i-have-got-better-1.1245643

“It’s gotten better. We’ve had a little practice... The musicianship, the vocals have gotten better,” he said in a recent interview.

Wilson is on a joint tour with Jeff Beck. It wraps up on October 30 in Milwaukee and includes Al Jardine and David Marks.

Wilson, the 71-year-old singer and songwriter, even said he’s improved since the Beach Boys’ 50th anniversary tour last year: “It was a very sentimental experience, but the vocals are even better now.”

--

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2064469

Al Jardine told us that the cross pollination of the Brian Wilson Band with Jeff Beck and his side musicians ended up making both headliners stronger: "Oh, it's great. I mean the combinations of the two forces of music give it a certain breadth and depth that I think neither of us experienced before, And Jeff is so melodic. He's got a melodic sense and keenly aware of where chord progressions are going and it helps us to marry our voices to his progressions -- If you know what I mean. Yeah, I mean, we're doing some really innovative things."

--

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/oct/23/brian-wilson-and-jeff-beck-reinterpret-t/

Q. What are your expectations, stylistically speaking, for the new CD, which is due out next year?

A. We wanted to try something new. That’s a return to an earlier sound and a very kind of mellow type of album. It brings back a lot of good memories. Being a recording artist these days means a lot of hard work. And that hard work turns into a good album, but you have to work and work and work until you get it good. And then after this next album, I want to make a rock ’n’ roll album, one that really rocks.

Q. Considering reports that the band members didn’t get along last year, any chance of doing another Beach Boys reunion?

A. No, actually we’re not going to do anymore reunions.

Q. Finally, are you surprised, whether it’s a Beach Boys reunion or a tour with Jeff Beck, that people are still interested in the music of Brian Wilson?

A. Yeah, it’s wonderful, but I’m not really surprised. I expected it.

--

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2013/10/brian_wilson_glad_to_join_jeff.html

It’s hard to call Wilson effusive about anything – he’s given to short answers that answer just the question asked and not one iota more. But if you COULD employ the word anywhere, it would be on Wilson’s praise of the former Yardbirds lead guitarist.

“He’s on three of the songs,’’ Wilson said. “He’s the most [expletive] greatest guitar player I’ve ever heard. He would play around the chords and take liberties to go on for a minute-and-a-half.’’

But it’s working. The show has been garnering rave reviews, especially for the night-ending rendition of “Danny Boy’’ that features Wilson and his orchestra and Beck’s band.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:03:58 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: October 22, 2013, 11:17:33 PM »

http://www.jazzweekly.com/2013/10/jeff-beck-brian-wilsonthe-greek-theatre-10-20-13/

Yes, you’re reading that right. Legendary guitarist Jeff Beck and Beach Boy singer/songwriter Brian Wilson found common ground with Baby Boomers and beyond during a 2 ½ love and song fest. Incongruous? So were ice cream and waffles at one time, but someone put them together to form the ice cream cone!

Opening the show was Brian Wilson at the piano leading a band of at least 13 members including Al Jardine and high vocal note specialist David Marks.

--

Wait, what?

Here, have a confusing 3 camera psychodelic mix of Wild Honey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh1hHDkHTq8    -- set it to 1080 and play LOUD.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:19:33 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 23, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »

Anyone else think Blondie sounded like sh*t in that clip? I honestly think Cowsill is doing the superior version atm.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #897 on: October 23, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

Oddly, Blondie does the Cowsills catalog much better. I honestly, frankly, truly nyah nyah think so. Eh, personal taste! 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:37:22 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #898 on: October 23, 2013, 10:22:45 AM »

Anyone else think Blondie sounded like sh*t in that clip? I honestly think Cowsill is doing the superior version atm.

I'd say "less than stellar"... Actually I did.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 23, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »

A cool photo spread by RS mag on the Beacon show:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/go-behind-the-scenes-with-brian-wilson-and-jeff-beck-20131023
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx