gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:52:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200775 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »

Been away a few days so now just posting my opinion.

Love the videos of Blondie and the guys. He sounds great and gives Sail On Sailor a much needed roughness that was mostly missing when Brian did it (sometimes he did a very good job on it though). Wild Honey is not only one of my favorite Brian Wilson/Mike Love tunes it is also a great Rock'n'Roll song and Blondie's deep R'n'B voice fits almost perfectly with it. I think it sounds better than Cowsill's singing because he hasn't got the right tone in his voice imo. My favorite version (and I think the best) though is still Carl's studio vocal.

Blondie would be a strong addition for every rock band (remember the "not-so-secret-weapon" quote in the CATP/Holland or In Concert booklet) and he brings along a sense of loose Rock'n'Roll feeling that Brian and his band needed. At the end of SOS he seems to be so much in the moment that he tells the band to keep on playing although they probably didn't rehearse it that way. Such ad-libbing makes it sound fresh and lively. The band of course is great and sounds as rocking as always but with Blondie it also sounds authentic (and I say this after only seeing two videos). For WH,  I'm not much of a fan how the saxophone is used in Brian's recent solo years although van Mertens is a fine player. I'd rather have heard an outta this world organ like Bruce's on the studio recording or maye some more guitar licks.
All in all, Blondie gives the performance and the sound a little extra something and I would love if he'd kept on playing with them. Plus with him, Brian, Al and David would have something that Mike & Bruce don't have (apart from more actual Beach Boys on stage); a fantastic R'n'B voice.

Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up...

BTW who is on drums on this tour? Sounds good
That would be Mikey D'Amico on drums.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:54 AM »

BTW who is on drums on this tour? Sounds good
D'Amico, at least on most of the songs.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 17, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »

-Had a good laugh at the video of Jeff driving his classic cars that was played during one of his songs.  It seemed a bit cocky, "hey check out all the awesome cars I own (including the original little deuce coop from American Graffiti with the THX-138 plates apparently!?!) while I'm shredding on this guitar onstage, aren't I awesome!?"

But, didn't I read that  the Beach Boys link to California car culture provided a kind of connection between Jeff and Brian? Might explain why they're doing a car song together for the new album.

Interesting about the American Graffiti deuce.  Last I heard, a guy in San Francisco owned it and wasn't selling at any price.

Yes. I know these things. I go to car shows. :D

Guy named Rick Figari from San Francisco owns both the '32 Ford Coupe AND the '55 Chevy from American Graffiti. He use to take them to the Good Guys car shows - dunno if he still does. When the American Graffiti film was done, they tried to sell the '32 Ford and couldn’t even get the asking price of $1,500!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #778 on: October 17, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »

I'd definitely swap the sax solo for some nice squealing organ! Otherwise, what a great jolt of power to add to this band... I love the Cowsills and everything, but Blondie rips the place up on this!

--

Kind of a weird review, but lots of pics:

http://upstatelive.com/2013/10/16/brian-wilson-and-jeff-beck-rocked-out-at-the-palace-on-october-8th/

“Sail on Sailor” and “Heroes and Villains” stood out among these tunes,  the former off the forgotten Holland album while the latter was quite psychedelic in the vein of Pet Sounds, as the backup band sang a synthesizer friendly ballad that could substitute as music for a montage in any 1980s film.

[HUH?! What? I can't quite parse that.]

“I Get Around”, which has forever ingrained the image of sperm navigating Fallopian tubes in the memories of Gen Xers, was as good as any other Beach Boys tune that night, something the crowd was excited to hear, even though it seemed repetitive from last year’s 50th anniversary tour.

--

http://www.theaquarian.com/2013/10/16/an-interview-with-brian-wilson-still-golden/

I saw a quote where you said you’d make musicians play until the sound made sense. What do you mean by that?

It didn’t make sense; it made beautiful vibrations. It may not have made any sense but if it was a beautiful vibration…

On the new album you’ve collaborated with Jeff Beck and Blondie Chaplin is going to be joining you on some of the tour dates. Do you feel you’re primarily a solo artist or do you thrive on collaboration?

Well when I write songs, I like to collaborate more than write by myself. I’ve always done that for all of my career. I’ve always chosen a lyricist to work with me.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:08:50 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: October 17, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »

Thanks Lowbacca and drbeachboy !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: October 17, 2013, 10:45:49 AM »

-Had a good laugh at the video of Jeff driving his classic cars that was played during one of his songs.  It seemed a bit cocky, "hey check out all the awesome cars I own (including the original little deuce coop from American Graffiti with the THX-138 plates apparently!?!) while I'm shredding on this guitar onstage, aren't I awesome!?"

But, didn't I read that  the Beach Boys link to California car culture provided a kind of connection between Jeff and Brian? Might explain why they're doing a car song together for the new album.

Interesting about the American Graffiti deuce.  Last I heard, a guy in San Francisco owned it and wasn't selling at any price.

Yes. I know these things. I go to car shows. :D

Guy named Rick Figari from San Francisco owns both the '32 Ford Coupe AND the '55 Chevy from American Graffiti. He use to take them to the Good Guys car shows - dunno if he still does. When the American Graffiti film was done, they tried to sell the '32 Ford and couldn’t even get the asking price of $1,500!

Yeah, that's the guy.  I read that when they started restoring it they found the original THX plate and the shifter knob under the floorboards where they had been stashed! Anyway, there are a lot of recreations of that car floating around. I'm just interested if Jeff got the owner to finally part with it, or if he's had a replica made. It's an iconic car, after all.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #781 on: October 17, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »

Had a good laugh at the video of Jeff driving his classic cars that was played during one of his songs.  It seemed a bit cocky, "hey check out all the awesome cars I own (including the original little deuce coop from American Graffiti with the THX-138 plates apparently!?!) while I'm shredding on this guitar onstage, aren't I awesome!?"

JB is a HUGE auto-enthusiast, to the point where he  almost lost a finger while working on one of his (numerous) cars around 1989 or so. From many accounts, he is obsessed with cars to the point where it rivals music as #1 in his heart.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #782 on: October 17, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »

http://news.radio.com/2013/10/17/brian-wilson-jeff-beck-tour-a-diverse-bill-of-60s-icons/

"Having Jeff Beck play after Wilson and friends seemed akin to having the Beatles warm up for Miles Davis. Both acts were equally satisfying, but for different reasons."

--

FUN FACT #35435: The band rehearsed Pet Sounds on the bus before the Beacon show.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 17, 2013, 01:18:13 PM »

One thing that was particularly wonderful to hear about Brian's vocals at the Beacon is that he is slurring audibly less than he was during the C50, and indeed less than he has been since '98 or so. My suspicion is that voice lessons have finally helped him compensate for whatever causes his slurred speech and singing. (And my guess is that the slurring is a side effect of his medication--slurred speech is a common side effect of some medications used to treat depression and bipolar disorder and of some antipsychotics--which would explain why the slurring really started in the mid to late 90s, after Melinda helped him overhaul his medication regimen.) 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 17, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »

I knew they'd give us something special in LA!

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #785 on: October 17, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »

(races around screaming incoherently)
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 17, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »

Wonder why they didn't make the whole Beck tour include Pet Sounds... makes the other gigs seem insignificant. I'm sure they could've brought in a lot more ticket sales had they incorporated it into every show. Anyway, I'm just jealous as a jellyfish, have fun LA folks!
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:49 PM »

quote author=dellydel link=topic=16076.msg409231#msg409231 date=1382024509]
Saw the Montclair Wellmont Theater show last night... some thoughts

-Why does Jeff get to sing Wouldn't It Be Nice?  Has Al ever sung it?  I feel like it would sound great with his voice.  I still think Al is under-utilized at these shows.  But I love the white suit!

[/quote]

Very definitely, yes. Most recently, on the C50 tour. (Sounded good; had some trouble with the lyrics at least a couple of times.) He also used to sing it when performing with his own band (rather than Matt or Adam).

I believe he also sang it for quite a long period in the 80s & possible even the 70s; Carl sang it I think through most of the 90s if not earlier.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 17, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »

I knew they'd give us something special in LA!

Hoping a professional video crew will capture this for a release.

I am grateful for the youtubfanstuff but most of the youtubers have the worst skills at taking videos
you'd think an earthquake occurred in the vicinity.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 17, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »

You all realize Brian toured with Pet Sounds a lot in the early and mid 2000s, right? Some of those dates were even with Al.

And you realize he put out a CD of it (not so great) and DVD (outstanding)?

What is everyone hyperventilating about?
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 17, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »

You all realize Brian toured with Pet Sounds a lot in the early and mid 2000s, right? Some of those dates were even with Al.

And you realize he put out a CD of it (not so great) and DVD (outstanding)?

What is everyone hyperventilating about?

Because those shows were worth hyperventilating about at the time, and now we're getting it again, at a time when Brian's a much stronger singer than he was in 2002.

Sounds like a win to me!

(Plus, it's a nice debunking of the idea that there's no real difference between Mike's and Brian's sets any more.  Not that Mike's sets aren't good -- but Lord, these ain't the same.)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 17, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »

But didn't Brian start out this tour doing a Mike Love-like set? Complete with car songs and starting the show with "Do It Again" just like the reunion tour.

I am glad for the people going to the later shows that his people listened to the folks posting here and perhaps on the Blueboard. The ones that said his first couple of shows were too conservative. Brian can sing "Pet Sounds" better than he sings the Mike Love collection. That's also a plus in doing "Pet Sounds," that Brian gets more lead vocals.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 17, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »

It's an incredibly bold move by Brian's people to include these lesser known songs and not just the hits in his setlist

The four times I've seen Brian it was mostly just the hits. I guess they are starting to understand that's it's fairly reasonable to assume that 50% of a Brian Wilson audience will have bough Sunflower.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 17, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »

But didn't Brian start out this tour doing a Mike Love-like set? Complete with car songs and starting the show with "Do It Again" just like the reunion tour.

I am glad for the people going to the later shows that his people listened to the folks posting here and perhaps on the Blueboard. The ones that said his first couple of shows were too conservative. Brian can sing "Pet Sounds" better than he sings the Mike Love collection. That's also a plus in doing "Pet Sounds," that Brian gets more lead vocals.

Both band's have spread into deeper cuts since their tours kicked off after the reunion. Mike and Bruce weren't playing things like Wild Honey, Goin to The Beach, and Sail on sailor regularly right away...and Brian wasn't playing things like Add Some Music, Marcella, and Pet Sounds right away...I also think it's worth noting that Mike and Bruce just did several Symphonic shows in the Midwest that have gotten almost no attention, but I bet they sounded even better than Brian's band.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 17, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »

I dunno, this whole "complete album performed live" thing doesn't excite me so much nowadays. Given how the shows were working earlier -- about an hour of each artist -- that doesn't leave enough time for many other goodies from the catalog. And if Brian is doing a whole album live, then Jeff Beck could well do the same in his set. How well would that play with fans of the other headliner? It's a big gamble, in my opinion.

It's a moot issue for me, with the Atlanta show having come and gone. I'm glad I went, and I really enjoyed it.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 17, 2013, 07:48:14 PM »

This was the third time I'd seen them do "Pet Sounds".  Once with the orchestra, once with Al, and now outta left field.  And I'm glad to have seen it this time, but...if they had done the entire "Wild Honey," "Sunflower"...or why not "Holland" when you have Blondie there?  Or "BW '88?"  Now something like that would have blown my mind!  Or hearing "Feel Flows" or "Melt Away" or "Roller Skating Child" or "Slip on Through or....

Why do I say this?  Because I've been spoiled!  I saw him do the entire "Smile" at Carnegie Hall fer Chrissakes!  There's another thread here talking about being a hardcore fan before the internet, back in the 80s and such -- could we have dreamed of this?

Thank you God!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 17, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »

why is nick playing the sing pet sounds when Dave crushed it last year?
I miss the BB, and I do not worship this Beck/Wilson thing.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 17, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »

This was the third time I'd seen them do "Pet Sounds".  Once with the orchestra, once with Al, and now outta left field.  And I'm glad to have seen it this time, but...if they had done the entire "Wild Honey," "Sunflower"...or why not "Holland" when you have Blondie there?  Or "BW '88?"  Now something like that would have blown my mind!  Or hearing "Feel Flows" or "Melt Away" or "Roller Skating Child" or "Slip on Through or....

Why do I say this?  Because I've been spoiled!  I saw him do the entire "Smile" at Carnegie Hall fer Chrissakes!  There's another thread here talking about being a hardcore fan before the internet, back in the 80s and such -- could we have dreamed of this?

Thank you God!

agreed. Brian should start busting out other albums in their entirety.

hell... he could do Wild Honey AND Friends and still have time for a few more songs in a 60 min set.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 17, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

I mean, it's cool, and I understand having the album pop up unexpectedly gives this tour some gravitas. But it's certainly not unparalleled in the BW touring annals.

As for the quality of the BW vocals -- I'll have to wait for the recordings to compare. I saw him do it in 2000, and he was pretty darn outstanding.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:38:11 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 17, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »

I never got to see the tour when he first did it. I wasn't even at the same level of fandom at the time as I am now. for me to finally see it this weekend is the best second chance I could have ever gotten. I'm feeling as excited today as most of you probably felt 10 years ago when you first saw him do it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:01:49 PM by Justin » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx