gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:21:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 201031 times)
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: October 16, 2013, 08:04:41 PM »

Haha, hilarious! I literally just got home and finally posted my video. So, double Wild Honey tonight I suppose. Sorry, but my seats were high up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj731lHkd7M
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »

Haha, hilarious! I literally just got home and finally posted my video. So, double Wild Honey tonight I suppose. Sorry, but my seats were high up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj731lHkd7M

Well, you're the first with a WH from the Beacon! Awesome vid!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: October 16, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »

"!"

Love Blondie's guitar bursts, what energy! Brian/Al/David/Blondie tour in 2014, please. Brian needs a mess of help to stand alone!

Well, more slouch, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:21:01 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »

Thanks man!

What's sadder though, is that the guy sitting next to me had a DSLR, and he definitely wasn't press. If I knew they were letting those in, I would have brought mine. The video quality on my T2i vs iPhone would have been sweet to see. But man, great memories. I hope they keep doing this. I will gladly see this show again every time it rolls around.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 16, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »

Wow, lot on energy during that one.

Carl would be proud!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 16, 2013, 08:26:28 PM »

Thanks so much for the WH links!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 16, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »

It ain't funny the way that video makes me wanna sing a little rock'n'roll!!

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: October 17, 2013, 12:38:07 AM »

Quick, someone turn on the Love-Signal, he needs defending!

[...]

It's easy to imagine Mike Love's reaction to this show: "What the hell is that guitarist without any sleeves? Why not do 'Kokomo,' 'Be True to Your School' and the car medley? People might not want to hear all of 'Shut Down' and 'Little Deuce Coup,' but you gotta play a little bit of them! Oh my god, not Pet Sounds! You're doing all of it? I don't remember half those songs and that'll take up too much time and you won't be able to squeeze in the John Stamos drum solo. What's that? No Stamos? How can you say such a thing? Tell me you're at least doing 'Surfing' Safari.' Good god, I haven't done a show without that song since Kennedy was in the White House. And don't even tell me that's Blondie Chaplin up there! Didn't my brother take care of him back in '73?"

His vision of the Beach Boys and Brian's was always very different. The reunion tour last year was a lot of fun, but it clearly wasn't meant to last. Anybody that wants to hear "Kokomo" and listen to a Full House cast member play drums can easily find that show, but Brian Wilson has once again proved he doesn't need to own the name "The Beach Boys" to carry on the group's legacy.

The reviewer's rant about Mike is pretty idiotic and undignified. But I read the review on the RS site - he says the played Child Is the Father of the Man?!?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: October 17, 2013, 12:45:12 AM »

Just some stray bits of it as a nice little segue from Our Prayer into Surf's Up. Check out the vids.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:53:10 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 17, 2013, 03:10:21 AM »

I'm Waiting for the Day:  http://youtu.be/tsnY3oto0Rw
Till I Die: http://youtu.be/s58Y7ByIDTs

And no Wild Honey yet!  Come on!   Huh

Brian nailed IWFTD, his voice seems to be in great shape, can't wait for the new album
Brian sounds real good and engaged. This bodes well.. Smiley

Is it just me or does Brian sound great on the "That's all done" part of I'm Waiting for The Day and Jeff is off-key?

Not just you... [...]
Yap - I thought so, too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:11:30 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 17, 2013, 03:24:12 AM »

I really hope Brian comes to UK next year, after the new album is done. Or they could at least film one show and release a decent dvd of the whole performance, no edits. Not like that lousy Beach Boys live 50-anniversary thing. That was really poor... This tour looks really great, can't wait to hear more and see what stuff they play next.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 17, 2013, 04:09:28 AM »

No disrespect to Brian's show, which seems to be going wonderfully, nor to Blondie who is a great performer. But gotta give kudos to Mike's band -and Cowsill- for performing WH in its original key.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:12:59 AM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 17, 2013, 04:11:48 AM »

Sounds amazing.  Great that the tour is evolving to such an extent.  Hope they come to the UK too.  Two or three nights at the Festival Hall, with the set changing night to night would be a dream.

Haven't watched any videos, but if the BW and Beck sets are kept separate til the end, it would be rather cool for Jeff Beck to play complementarily throughout Pet Sounds, doing something a bit new with it, rather than the studioesque live version we've seen before.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 17, 2013, 04:13:06 AM »

I give kudos to Mike's band for performing it all in the first place, and they did beat Brian to getting that song out there. Coswill was such a great energy on that reunion tour. His drumming is amazing.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 17, 2013, 05:04:52 AM »

Screw the 50th, this is the right show for me, only problem it's on the wrong side of the Atlantic Roll Eyes

Seriously, this is Brian real artistic set, backed by the real deal and with Blondie and Jeff Beck to help it rock like it should! Bruce and Mike have always been my least favourite duo of the group and these shows could never happen with them in the baggage train. Cowsill is much missed, but by Jove if this isn't the best artistic effort by Brian since the Smile tour I'll never know.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: October 17, 2013, 06:15:29 AM »

No disrespect to Brian's show, which seems to be going wonderfully, nor to Blondie who is a great performer. But gotta give kudos to Mike's band -and Cowsill- for performing WH in its original key.

I just watched the Tower video by way of a Facebook link and came over to SS to see if it was being discussed.  Video reflects a great performance but I just saw Cowsill do it a few weeks ago and it was unbelievably good, possibly the highlight of the M+B show.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 17, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »

Just heard Wild Honey...

...WOW!

Loud, fat, long, extremely soulful (Blondie), sax solo... that's how it's done, and if this don't ever appear on any legit release then music's over.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 17, 2013, 06:38:29 AM »

I give kudos to Mike's band for performing it all in the first place, and they did beat Brian to getting that song out there. Coswill was such a great energy on that reunion tour. His drumming is amazing.
True! Cowsill was about six when he started drumming.  He gets "inside the groove" of every song.  He doesn't play like a metronome, but with physicality.  That is the difference between being a technician and an artist. 

And, I think Mickey D'Amico shows something similar in the recently (thanks!) posted YouTube, of the Beacon, with I'm Waiting For the Day.  Instead of "playing the beat," he is "in the groove of the music."

Best song I ever heard Brian sing live, bar none, was at the sound check, last week, I'm Waiting For the Day. He sang from his toes, sounding twenty-five years old.  Wink
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 17, 2013, 07:00:48 AM »

I enjoyed the Montclair show very much. I wouldn't say Brian was on top of his game, but he did pretty well and I thought his voice sounded pretty during GOK. A few more thingsL
-- No full Pet Sounds.
--I loved the rotating cast of singers. Blondie sounded great on Wild Honey, and Brian gave Darian a very enthusiastic intro for Darlin.
--When they did Darlin, Wild Honey and Marcella in quick succession, I thought maybe they were trying to appeal to Jeff's fans a bit with the harder stuff.
--When Sloop John B started, Brian started singing. From the expression on Al's face it was clear that he was supposed to sing that one, but he smiled. He tried to come in on the second verse, but Brian came in too! I think Brian finally let him come in toward the end. At the end Al said, "It's a partnership!"
--Brian seemed a little unsteady. He got up from the piano pretty gingerly after the first set and after the final bow I'm not sure if he tripped on something or just lost his balance, but something happened and Jeff (Foskett) looked a little concerned.
--The band was great as usual but seemed...slightly LESS great? A little off their game at times, and there were a couple of flubbed notes, whereas I remember during the Smile era they were so spot on.
--Al wore the white suit. I actually thought he looked great.
--Bill Medley was in the audience. Both Brian and Jeff Beck acknowledged him.
--Either the show attracted more Jeff Beck fans than Brian Wilson fans, or the Beck fans were just louder. There was heartier applause for Jeff than for Brian and company.
--I enjoyed Jeff Beck's set, but it was SO LOUD for a theater. I mean, I was plugging my ears for much of it, so I could still hear it but it wasn't painful. I wasn't the only one doing that either. Jeff's whole band was top-notch. But even during Brian's set it seemed like everything was turned up so loud that it adversely affected the sound of the whole thing.
--Some members of Brian's band (including Brian at one point) did vocals for Jeff. That was pretty cool.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 17, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »

Thanks for posting Wild Honey. Sounds great!

I do hope if they tour next year that Brian takes Blondie on the road with him.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 17, 2013, 08:41:49 AM »

Saw the Montclair Wellmont Theater show last night... some thoughts

-A little sad there was no full Pet Sounds, but I guess that left room for some other cool songs they wouldn't have played otherwise.

-Brian was in good voice, only missed a couple lines.  And yes, it looked like he trampled all over Al during Sloop John B. :D

-Why does Jeff get to sing Wouldn't It Be Nice?  Has Al ever sung it?  I feel like it would sound great with his voice.  I still think Al is under-utilized at these shows.  But I love the white suit!

-Blondie ROCKED.  He had more Rock Star swagger than all the other guys up on stage.  And he had a cool outfit on, tighter pants than everyone else, big cool scarf, he just moved like a rock star.  Side note... the two guys with the tightest pants... Blondie and Dave... were the coolest looking guys.  The guys with the looser pants... Al and Brian... didn't look as.. modern I guess?? Tight pants for the win!

-Loved how the show started with so many different guys doing leads... Brian opening, Blondie doing Sail on Sailor and Wild Honey, Al doing Old Man River and Cottonfields, Darian doing Darlin'...

-Darlin' was sooo sloooow!  I guess I'm used to the sped up versions Carl would sing back in the day, so at this tempo it was a little weak.

-Jeff's falsetto sounded way better than it ever did on an album!  It didn't make my ears bleed at all!  But when he was introduced as "the man with the golden falsetto" I could only snort.  No!  Brian was the man with the golden falsetto!

-Brian did indeed seem a little unsteady, but to me it seemed like back problems or something... like, he was limping a little bit, and when they were all taking their bows, he wasn't bending very well.  Not that I expect modern Brian to bend very well..

-Brian did his classic "I'm outta here!" move, leaving juuuust before their set ended, while all the musicians were still playing Smiley

-Jeff Beck is an amazing musician and guitarsman, his cool drummer was awesome and rocking, his cool lady bass player was awesome, his hot violin girl was great, and yet... the whole thing was kinda boring.  And LOUD as sh*t!  Some very high pitched guitars there.  So while I could appreciate the musicianship, I was losing patience by the end of his set, and was very happy when Brian came back out for Surf's Up.

-Surf's Up... neat combination of both bands, interesting having Jeff playing the vocals on guitar, but still... I woulda much rather have seen Brain singing Surf's Up Sad

-Had a good laugh at the video of Jeff driving his classic cars that was played during one of his songs.  It seemed a bit cocky, "hey check out all the awesome cars I own (including the original little deuce coop from American Graffiti with the THX-138 plates apparently!?!) while I'm shredding on this guitar onstage, aren't I awesome!?"

-I loved it when Darian and Blondie and Jeff came out to do... the Pork Pie Hat song maybe, with Jeff's band?  And Blondie was very energetic on the tambourine!

-Nice to see all the old folks dancing to Fun Fun Fun and Barbara Ann.

-Wore my "Brian's Sandbox" shirt hoping someone would notice, but nobody did.  Smiley

-Overall pretty awesome show, it was the first time I've ever seen Brain... but I do wish it had just been Brian without Jeff Beck.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 17, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »

Saw the Montclair Wellmont Theater show last night... some thoughts

-A little sad there was no full Pet Sounds, but I guess that left room for some other cool songs they wouldn't have played otherwise.

-Brian was in good voice, only missed a couple lines.  And yes, it looked like he trampled all over Al during Sloop John B. :D

-Why does Jeff get to sing Wouldn't It Be Nice?  Has Al ever sung it?  I feel like it would sound great with his voice.  I still think Al is under-utilized at these shows.  But I love the white suit!

-Blondie ROCKED.  He had more Rock Star swagger than all the other guys up on stage.  And he had a cool outfit on, tighter pants than everyone else, big cool scarf, he just moved like a rock star.  Side note... the two guys with the tightest pants... Blondie and Dave... were the coolest looking guys.  The guys with the looser pants... Al and Brian... didn't look as.. modern I guess?? Tight pants for the win!

-Loved how the show started with so many different guys doing leads... Brian opening, Blondie doing Sail on Sailor and Wild Honey, Al doing Old Man River and Cottonfields, Darian doing Darlin'...

-Darlin' was sooo sloooow!  I guess I'm used to the sped up versions Carl would sing back in the day, so at this tempo it was a little weak.

-Jeff's falsetto sounded way better than it ever did on an album!  It didn't make my ears bleed at all!  But when he was introduced as "the man with the golden falsetto" I could only snort.  No!  Brian was the man with the golden falsetto!

-Brian did indeed seem a little unsteady, but to me it seemed like back problems or something... like, he was limping a little bit, and when they were all taking their bows, he wasn't bending very well.  Not that I expect modern Brian to bend very well..

-Brian did his classic "I'm outta here!" move, leaving juuuust before their set ended, while all the musicians were still playing Smiley

-Jeff Beck is an amazing musician and guitarsman, his cool drummer was awesome and rocking, his cool lady bass player was awesome, his hot violin girl was great, and yet... the whole thing was kinda boring.  And LOUD as sh*t!  Some very high pitched guitars there.  So while I could appreciate the musicianship, I was losing patience by the end of his set, and was very happy when Brian came back out for Surf's Up.

-Surf's Up... neat combination of both bands, interesting having Jeff playing the vocals on guitar, but still... I woulda much rather have seen Brain singing Surf's Up Sad

-Had a good laugh at the video of Jeff driving his classic cars that was played during one of his songs.  It seemed a bit cocky, "hey check out all the awesome cars I own (including the original little deuce coop from American Graffiti with the THX-138 plates apparently!?!) while I'm shredding on this guitar onstage, aren't I awesome!?"

-I loved it when Darian and Blondie and Jeff came out to do... the Pork Pie Hat song maybe, with Jeff's band?  And Blondie was very energetic on the tambourine!

-Nice to see all the old folks dancing to Fun Fun Fun and Barbara Ann.

-Wore my "Brian's Sandbox" shirt hoping someone would notice, but nobody did.  Smiley

-Overall pretty awesome show, it was the first time I've ever seen Brain... but I do wish it had just been Brian without Jeff Beck.

Nice review. Smiley And yes, we old folks can still dance and rock out, though we tire from it more easily. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 17, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »

Thanks so much for those "Wild Honey" links!  The band is smoking on that one -- wasn't my imagination.  And as mentioned, I found the drums, rhythm section on this tour more in the pocket than I recall.

And, just sayin', "Wild Honey" was co-written by one Mike Love.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 17, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »

-Had a good laugh at the video of Jeff driving his classic cars that was played during one of his songs.  It seemed a bit cocky, "hey check out all the awesome cars I own (including the original little deuce coop from American Graffiti with the THX-138 plates apparently!?!) while I'm shredding on this guitar onstage, aren't I awesome!?"

But, didn't I read that  the Beach Boys link to California car culture provided a kind of connection between Jeff and Brian? Might explain why they're doing a car song together for the new album.

Interesting about the American Graffiti deuce.  Last I heard, a guy in San Francisco owned it and wasn't selling at any price.

Yes. I know these things. I go to car shows. :D
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: October 17, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »

Been away a few days so now just posting my opinion.

Love the videos of Blondie and the guys. He sounds great and gives Sail On Sailor a much needed roughness that was mostly missing when Brian did it (sometimes he did a very good job on it though). Wild Honey is not only one of my favorite Brian Wilson/Mike Love tunes it is also a great Rock'n'Roll song and Blondie's deep R'n'B voice fits almost perfectly with it. I think it sounds better than Cowsill's singing because he hasn't got the right tone in his voice imo. My favorite version (and I think the best) though is still Carl's studio vocal.

Blondie would be a strong addition for every rock band (remember the "not-so-secret-weapon" quote in the CATP/Holland or In Concert booklet) and he brings along a sense of loose Rock'n'Roll feeling that Brian and his band needed. At the end of SOS he seems to be so much in the moment that he tells the band to keep on playing although they probably didn't rehearse it that way. Such ad-libbing makes it sound fresh and lively. The band of course is great and sounds as rocking as always but with Blondie it also sounds authentic (and I say this after only seeing two videos). For WH,  I'm not much of a fan how the saxophone is used in Brian's recent solo years although van Mertens is a fine player. I'd rather have heard an outta this world organ like Bruce's on the studio recording or maye some more guitar licks.
All in all, Blondie gives the performance and the sound a little extra something and I would love if he'd kept on playing with them. Plus with him, Brian, Al and David would have something that Mike & Bruce don't have (apart from more actual Beach Boys on stage); a fantastic R'n'B voice.

Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up...

BTW who is on drums on this tour? Sounds good

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx