gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:38:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200824 times)
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 07, 2013, 05:43:46 PM »

So they dropped the car songs and no "Darlin'"??  Whatsis world coming to?

Wish they would've done that from the get go, first setlist of opening night was practically more M&B than the recent M&B shows themselves! Still a great show.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 07, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »

Delighted to see the setlist evolving nicely.

Bummed to see "B-f-A" is back.
I attended the show inDC.   Yes.  BFA indeed.  Of all of the songs cut from this abbreviated BW set, they left that miserable piece of crap in the set list.  there were at least a dozen other uptempo numbers they should have chosen from for the encore.

My take on the show is I'm just not sure at all.  Odd to say the least.  As someone else mentioned, BW sounded weak at times.  On the other hand, BW sang without a net (no doubling by JF ) on several songs.  the real BW in the rough.
surfs Up was a treat using members of both bands.  Little bird surprised me and was delightful.  very well done.  BW introduced David to set up the song, then David told a brief story about Dennis before
Launching into the tune.  I saw SMILE in this venue a few years ago.  This ,in contrast, was a kind of letdown with. The limited number of songs. No Taylor, No Blondie, not enough Al solo's, and at times David seemed extra, somewhat unnecessary.  I noticed he didn't do lead guitar on Pet Sounds.  I'm not sure where he fits into,nthe vocals.  Want to quickly add I' not knocking Dave and I wish him well and am glad he is finallly getting his due recognition.  My wife's reaction was that the show was a very strange blend, a strange pairing of acts.   I remember thinking that BB fans might be hearing Jeff Beck for the first time and vice versa.   Overeall, one has to, concede it wasa fine evening of  great music and musicianship. but. A lot of money and miles traveled to see a shortened BB show.   As a long time fan of Jeff Becks work, I have to say  I am glad to have had the opportunity to see him perform his particular brand of guitar magic.
Final comment, I'm not sure how many more times I need to see the BW show .  As others have noted, Brian sometimes seems tired and disinterested like he would just as soon the show be over so he can go chill and watch a movie and have a beer.  I can respect that because sometimes I feel the same way.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 07, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »

So I'm thinking I may just bring an LP and the Jeff CD booklet just in case, I mean if I say "Why would I want Jeff Beck to sign my Beach Boys LP?" I would think the guy would consider it.

So... should I bring Smile? Pet Sounds? Friends? or Love You.... Decisions.... Or my H&V 45?!?

You can probably tell the guy - just Al, David, and Brian please. Most people got their tour programs signed so they wanted all four.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 07, 2013, 07:37:47 PM »

Delighted to see the setlist evolving nicely.

Bummed to see "B-f-A" is back.
I attended the show inDC.   Yes.  BFA indeed.  Of all of the songs cut from this abbreviated BW set, they left that miserable piece of crap in the set list.  there were at least a dozen other uptempo numbers they should have chosen from for the encore.

My take on the show is I'm just not sure at all.  Odd to say the least.  As someone else mentioned, BW sounded weak at times.  On the other hand, BW sang without a net (no doubling by JF ) on several songs.  the real BW in the rough.
surfs Up was a treat using members of both bands.  Little bird surprised me and was delightful.  very well done.  BW introduced David to set up the song, then David told a brief story about Dennis before
Launching into the tune.  I saw SMILE in this venue a few years ago.  This ,in contrast, was a kind of letdown with. The limited number of songs. No Taylor, No Blondie, not enough Al solo's, and at times David seemed extra, somewhat unnecessary.  I noticed he didn't do lead guitar on Pet Sounds.  I'm not sure where he fits into,nthe vocals.  Want to quickly add I' not knocking Dave and I wish him well and am glad he is finallly getting his due recognition.  My wife's reaction was that the show was a very strange blend, a strange pairing of acts.   I remember thinking that BB fans might be hearing Jeff Beck for the first time and vice versa.   Overeall, one has to, concede it wasa fine evening of  great music and musicianship. but. A lot of money and miles traveled to see a shortened BB show.   As a long time fan of Jeff Becks work, I have to say  I am glad to have had the opportunity to see him perform his particular brand of guitar magic.
Final comment, I'm not sure how many more times I need to see the BW show .  As others have noted, Brian sometimes seems tired and disinterested like he would just as soon the show be over so he can go chill and watch a movie and have a beer.  I can respect that because sometimes I feel the same way.

I've said this before and caught crap for it but realistically, if Brian is adding Al and David...he said be removing Probyn & Nick. Al & David could both hold their own through that show on rhythm and lead respectively. But I really think the Brian Wilson Band was excessive before their involvement. Of course for SMiLE or something grandiose like that you'd want all those musicians. But they didn't play much Saturday night that required that many people. The stage looked rather messy.

Brian seemed to be very involved and sounded great to me up until Pet Sounds. He didn't have to do anything on that and I think his mind wandered. Then, it was the same old hits for him after that and it looked like his interest just went out the window. He missed cues on Sloop John B, God Only Knows was weak, and he missed cues on I Get Around...and Surfin' USA in the encore. While I was impressed with his vocal on California Girls...I still don't think Brian should be singing Mike's leads. Leave it for Foskett & Jardine to divide up.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 07, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »

You not only needed all of those musicians for Smile, but on the Pet Sounds album tour also.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 07, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »

So they dropped the car songs and no "Darlin'"??  Whatsis world coming to?

Wish they would've done that from the get go, first setlist of opening night was practically more M&B than the recent M&B shows themselves! Still a great show.

I know. I was there and a bit surprised by the setlist. So happy to have heard Blondie on SOS and Don't Talk sounded great.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 07, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »

I've said this before and caught crap for it but realistically, if Brian is adding Al and David...he said be removing Probyn & Nick. Al & David could both hold their own through that show on rhythm and lead respectively. But I really think the Brian Wilson Band was excessive before their involvement. Of course for SMiLE or something grandiose like that you'd want all those musicians. But they didn't play much Saturday night that required that many people. The stage looked rather messy.

Probyn plays trumpet on "Darlin'", french horn on "God Only Knows", tannerin on "Good Vibrations", etc.  Because of that, he's essential to Brian's band.  As for Nicky, I really do suspect his absence from the second half of C50 was more down to "too many guitarists" than illness but keep in mind that barring that period (for whatever reason), he and Probyn have both been with Brian continuously since 1999.  If I'm not mistaken, the only other players to match that tenure are just Jeff and possibly Scott.  Nicky may be a bit superfluous with Dave on stage but I think it's safe to say Brian likes him there. 

In regards to Al, he's clearly there as a vocalist, rather than a guitarist.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:37:33 PM by Phoenix » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 07, 2013, 08:35:15 PM »

Probyn also played bass for a big chunk of the C50 shows. Between the winds, tannerin, bass, guitar and IIRC banjo, he more than earns his keep.

I've seen BW when they cut down the band by half, and believe me, you don't want to go there.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 07, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »

Little Bird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5AoGF2t6XE

So good.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 08, 2013, 04:41:17 AM »

Probyn plays trumpet on "Darlin'", french horn on "God Only Knows", tannerin on "Good Vibrations", etc.  Because of that, he's essential to Brian's band.  As for Nicky, I really do suspect his absence from the second half of C50 was more down to "too many guitarists" than illness but keep in mind that barring that period (for whatever reason), he and Probyn have both been with Brian continuously since 1999.  If I'm not mistaken, the only other players to match that tenure are just Jeff and possibly Scott.  Nicky may be a bit superfluous with Dave on stage but I think it's safe to say Brian likes him there. 

In regards to Al, he's clearly there as a vocalist, rather than a guitarist.

Yeah, but Al probably COULD step up and do a bit more. I could actually hear him playing on "Cotton Fields"! LOL
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: October 08, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »

Probyn is probably the MOST ESSENTIAL PART of Brian's band (besides Brian, of course). In fact, if you had to trim the band down, your best bet would be to keep AT LEAST:

Probyn -- can play guitar (and ergo probably bass), keys, French horn, brass, Tannerin, hand percussion (in fact, seek out the clip of Wondermints performing "Shine On Me" on The Late Late Show - Probyn's playing a valved trombone and a tambourine at the same time!). He can sing high notes.

Mike -- can play drums, bass, guitar, and I do believe he played keyboards on Wondermints albums as well, and can sing quite well.

Scott --- this dude is almost as multiinstrumental as Probyn. I don't think he can play winds or brass, but he can drum on top of keys and guitars. And he's a good mid-range singer.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 08, 2013, 10:15:35 AM »

You would have to be all kinds of stupid to want to sack someone as versatile as Probyn Gregory from a band.

While it is true that "less is more", there are instances where you NEED more and presenting the classic BB sound is one of them.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 08, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »

Always a neat little song, but sort of obscured by everything else in 1968.  Nice to see it used in the setlist.  Dennis had a great deal of unrecognized talent. I think that Dennis always "went for the jugular" when he wrote, sang or was drumming.  Nothing lukewarm with him, ever.

A couple of the shorter songs, such as Wake the World, done on Live in London, 1969, and Friends (the single) with great vocals I always found neat.  Not a big seller as an album, but essential to see the well-rounded nature of their work.  I didn't know that it was ever done live during the 1960's or 70's.  Maybe someone here knows if they ever did Little Bird live.

Thanks for posting the YouTube. Hope they keep it in the setlist.  Wink
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 08, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »

Always a neat little song, but sort of obscured by everything else in 1968.  Nice to see it used in the setlist.  Dennis had a great deal of unrecognized talent. I think that Dennis always "went for the jugular" when he wrote, sang or was drumming.  Nothing lukewarm with him, ever.

A couple of the shorter songs, such as Wake the World, done on Live in London, 1969, and Friends (the single) with great vocals I always found neat.  Not a big seller as an album, but essential to see the well-rounded nature of their work.  I didn't know that it was ever done live during the 1960's or 70's.  Maybe someone here knows if they ever did Little Bird live.

Thanks for posting the YouTube. Hope they keep it in the setlist.  Wink

Um yep , there is evidence on the M.I.C. Box Set   Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 08, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »

Back in 2007, I saw Brian with this trimmed-down band:

Scott Bennett – Drums and Vocals
Probyn Gregory – Bass and Vocals
Gary Griffin – Keyboard
Jeffrey Foskett – Guitar and Vocals
Nick Walusko – Guitar and Vocals
Nelson Bragg – percussion and Vocals

(Thanks to Eric's site for the breakdown.)

It could have been an interesting group, and Brian performed professionally, but the extra keyboard (Darian), real drummer and extra winds (Paul) were definitely missed.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: October 08, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »

http://www.mainlinetoday.com/Blogs/StageSide/October-2013/Brian-Wilson-and-Jeff-Beck-Bring-the-Beach-Boys-to-the-Tower-Theatre-on-Oct-13/

"Brian isn’t necessarily the most conversationally engaging performer on stage but do not let his lack of animation fool you: once you hear those high register vocals on “Heroes and Villains,” you will have no doubts on his capabilities."
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 08, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »

Back in 2007, I saw Brian with this trimmed-down band:

Scott Bennett – Drums and Vocals
Probyn Gregory – Bass and Vocals
Gary Griffin – Keyboard
Jeffrey Foskett – Guitar and Vocals
Nick Walusko – Guitar and Vocals
Nelson Bragg – percussion and Vocals

(Thanks to Eric's site for the breakdown.)

It could have been an interesting group, and Brian performed professionally, but the extra keyboard (Darian), real drummer and extra winds (Paul) were definitely missed.

Agreed, but I think they trimmed in the wrong areas here. It's not a huge deal. It's ultimately just costing Brian more but in turn it requires him and the actual Beach Boys to do less.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 08, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »

Interesting to see 'Til I Die back in the setlist. Always assumed it was dropped many years ago because it made Brian uncomfortable. I wonder if the guy ever listens to his own records, by the way (other than hearing some of the hits being played on oldies stations). Would be nice if they did Friends or Honkin' Down the Highway.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: October 08, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »

Friends for the west coast leg, at least! get their kids in there.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: October 08, 2013, 01:37:48 PM »

I've said this before and caught crap for it but realistically, if Brian is adding Al and David...he said be removing Probyn & Nick. Al & David could both hold their own through that show on rhythm and lead respectively.

And rightly so. Alan can play basic rhythm, and sing. That's it. Probyn can play guitar, bass, tannerin, horns, banjo, percussion and a few others things: he also sings pretty good. David is an excellent lead guitarist and can cover Dennis' vocal parts. Nicky can duplicate the 60s guitar perfectly. If you're going to drop anyone, it should be the musically weak links, and that's Brian, of course... and once Brian's gone, no need for Jeff except as a lead vocalist. I'm kidding of course, but to drop any of the existing band would - and has - resulted in a compromised product.

BTW, I also recall you suggested Nicky was dropped from the C50 tour because he was surplus to requirements. As anyone who has even the slightest knowledge of the situation (i.e. patently not you) knows, he had a painful medical condition that required immediate treatment. Thankfully, he's now entirely recovered. Think you owe him a very public apology.

Final observation: you're assuming Alan & David are permanent additions to Brian's band, a notion for which there isn't a scintilla of evidence.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:39:10 PM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: October 08, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »

Well, at the very least it's likely they'll continue touring together to plug the new album next year as Jardine tentatively presumptio-hinted at. Run, James, Run indeed!

I notice Al had the white suit out for dry cleaning this week and opted for a different jacket.

--

409 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_exr3Es7KT0

Danny Boy in DC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs3kXz2u_Tg

PA gig:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCte4mVyVlM

Our Prayer / Heroes and Villains / Surfs Up (instrumental excerpt) / Don't Worry Baby / Pet Sounds (snippet) / Even Odds (Jeff Beck excerpt) / 'Til I Die (excerpt) / Sail On, Sailor / Barbara Ann (excerpt) / Surfin' USA / California Girls (snippet) / Danny Boy (audio only)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:50:02 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 08, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »

Al reads this board and knows people are tired of his white suit. He gives the people what they want.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: October 08, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »

Don't listen to the naysayers, Alan Jardine! The white suit needs you and we need the white suit. Keep it clean.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 08, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »

Ontor, wear a white suit to the show you are going to.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: October 08, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »

I'm not going to lie, there are moments I consider a "keep it clean" t-shirt. These moments pass and I stagger through the rest of the week... dazed, confused... Jardine.

a new fragrance for men.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx