gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:42:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200790 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 06, 2013, 10:45:09 PM »

Till I Die reared its head tonight in Bethlehem.

Shocked

Whew - amazing night - went to soundcheck + meet and greet - Til I Die was tight but Brian missed "I lost my way". Great Brian vocals on H&V, Marcella, SOS. Al still sounds like he's 20. Brian sang GOK sweetly (dedicated it to Carl before he started), and as we were on our feet applauding afterwards he said to the crowd... "that's your song, that's your song" and it was so hard not to get emotional. Jeff Beck NOT my cup of tea and he was LOUD. Quite an odd pairing - crowd was eating it up though. Brian was singing the "children's song" bit of Surf's Up but his mic was off, unfortunately.

Excellent!  Post the pic of your meet and greet!  ...and how was it this time compared to the C50 shows?  (Did you go to any of the M&G's there?)  Did they push you through like cattle?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 07, 2013, 05:07:50 AM »

Shocked

Whew - amazing night - went to soundcheck + meet and greet - Til I Die was tight but Brian missed "I lost my way". Great Brian vocals on H&V, Marcella, SOS. Al still sounds like he's 20. Brian sang GOK sweetly (dedicated it to Carl before he started), and as we were on our feet applauding afterwards he said to the crowd... "that's your song, that's your song" and it was so hard not to get emotional. Jeff Beck NOT my cup of tea and he was LOUD. Quite an odd pairing - crowd was eating it up though. Brian was singing the "children's song" bit of Surf's Up but his mic was off, unfortunately.

Excellent!  Post the pic of your meet and greet!  ...and how was it this time compared to the C50 shows?  (Did you go to any of the M&G's there?)  Did they push you through like cattle?

Haha, I'd like to have some level of anonymity on this very public forum! So, that pic isn't going here!

This was my first "M&G", yes we were hurdled in like cattle and the person I was with commented that Tara/the crew were treating us like prisoners - everything had to be exact - we had to stand when she said stand, do exactly as she said....not peak into soundcheck when we were checking out merch. No time to even think about shaking Brian's hand - give your stuff to the security guard, you watch from behind as they sign your thing and then a picture is taken.

@FOTM - it's ONE item for everyone, not one for each guy - at least that's how it worked last night. So, don't go bringing four things, they WILL get pissed.

Everyone that I met last night was sooooooo nice. I have a even greater respect for this band (didn't think it was possible). Especially Darian and David Marks. And Scott Bennett is hilarious.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: October 07, 2013, 05:33:11 AM »

EgoHanger, was the meet and greet part of a package that included a ticket to the concert?  I ask because in St Augustine, there were people with meet and greet badges that later were asking about buying a ticket for the concert while my brother and I were waiting for our after concert passes.  Seemed very strange to me that a meet and greet person wouldn't already have a ticket.

Also, since I think you went to a 50th anniversary show, did Al Jardine appear to be happier this year compared to last year?  My brother commented that he seemed more at ease during this concert compared to a year ago.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:34:46 AM by ComicList » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 07, 2013, 05:43:34 AM »

Can't/won't comment on the m&g (sorry)....but Al always seems happy to me. I didn't get a chance to talk with Al, but did see him interacting with fans/friends(?) for a really long time and he seemed very personable, humble, and kind. He sounded great on his leads and was definitely having a good time up on stage.

Brian's set needs to be longer - they are doing a fabulous job squeezing in the rarities, but because they have to accommodate for Beck's set, things have to be dropped. For example, no Surfer Girl or In My Room last night. No LDC/Shut Down/car songs either, but that decision I was quite content with  Grin

Funny anecdote at the show - after David Marks finished "Little Bird", Brian goes "Al Jardine!", and then Al said, "no, David Marks! But I'll be happy to steal all the credit I can get!" - not a direct quote, but you get the idea.

And, finally....don't NOT go to a show because of something you see on Youtube. When you are actually at a show, things that sound off on youtube totally make sense and sound right when you're there.

Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: October 07, 2013, 06:08:01 AM »

I had the sense that the St Augustine show was shorter than many of the others on this tour because of a strict 10 PM cutoff time on weekday concerts, as the amphitheater is in the middle of a neighborhood.

All three "original Beach Boys," as they were introduced by Foskett, sounded great last Thursday.  And all night they had a running gag, calling each other "The Great Al Jardine", "The Great David Lee Marks", "The Great Brian Wilson"-- Brian at one point  said "The Great" and never finished it, and Al and David laughed like they were trying to decide if they should finish it or just move on.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 07, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »

TIL I DIE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4QFDKgraU

(and despite the title) Most of God Only Knows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY7OoEQI3H0
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:47:34 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: October 07, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »

Aieee! Can't wait to watch that. Loving all the posts lately.... especially Jonathan Blum's review. A Brian concert AND missing episodes this week? We're spoiled.

REVIEW: Brian Wilson, Jeff Beck at Sands Bethlehem Event Center show God-given talent
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2013/10/brian-wilson-jeff-beck-at-sands-bethlehem-event-center-concert-review.html

"It was easily as good as The Beach Boys 50th anniversary tour that played the event center in May 2012 – it seemed more dignified not having Beach Boys’ Mike Love’s gawkish and hokey antics – it sometimes fell into the same traps."

Goes on to slate all the stuff superfans are keen to hear... like Little Bird, Ol' Man River, Till I Die, Pet Sounds, etc.

--

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57606263-12/star-apps-jeff-beck/

Beck on people like us recording at shows: "I hate it. Why don't they just enjoy what's going on rather than having to see it again on a pissy little iPhone? It's this inability to interact with one another, I think. People don't even want to go shopping anymore, so they press a button to get their underwear and they deliver them the next day.

And it's annoying when someone's not looking at you, when they're looking at a viewfinder in a camera. I think we should force people to dump their iPhones in a basket in the beginning and we'll get their name, address, and phone number; and if they're lucky, they'll get them back after the show.

I think it's ridiculous. It's the gathering of people for an event where everyone's supposed to be of one accord and enjoy it. You go around London and you have a million people taking photographs of things and not looking at them. They're not enjoying the moment and the same thing happens during the concert."

Jeff Beck, proudly standing up for the right to shop for underwear himself.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:06:39 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 07, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »

John Mayer got some entertainment news headlines last week for saying the same thing. John said he thinks people concentrate on their cameras instead of the show and it takes a lot of the energy out of the crowd reaction. I know I hate seeing the glow of phones obstructing or distracting views of an event.

I don't mind a few people taking captures of the show, those who have a talent for it and decent equipment. It's when you large numbers of the crowd taking videos that it gets distracting. They're not all going to wind up sharing them on YouTube, and most of the ones taken by iPhone or other smartphones tend to be of poor quality. Those phone camera don't have good optical zooms or good quality for amped-up concert sound, so it's pointless, especially if they're more than a few rows away from the stage.
G.C
« Reply #458 on: October 07, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »

Thank you!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 07, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »

Shocked

Haha, I'd like to have some level of anonymity on this very public forum! So, that pic isn't going here!

This was my first "M&G", yes we were hurdled in like cattle and the person I was with commented that Tara/the crew were treating us like prisoners - everything had to be exact - we had to stand when she said stand, do exactly as she said....not peak into soundcheck when we were checking out merch. No time to even think about shaking Brian's hand - give your stuff to the security guard, you watch from behind as they sign your thing and then a picture is taken.

@FOTM - it's ONE item for everyone, not one for each guy - at least that's how it worked last night. So, don't go bringing four things, they WILL get pissed.

Everyone that I met last night was sooooooo nice. I have a even greater respect for this band (didn't think it was possible). Especially Darian and David Marks. And Scott Bennett is hilarious.

Ahh I see... well what should I bring now!?!?! ahhh!

I have several copies of Love You... maybe that?!

Well... I guess it's good to know what I should expect, kinda sad that you really don't even get a word :/

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 07, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »

Ego, any chance you just answer a few things, so I don't get my hopes up...

-So, did you talk to anyone? Or was it truly just "sign and walk"
-In terms of people, who was there when you went back?

Thanks Smiley

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 07, 2013, 12:36:43 PM »

Thanks Smiley

Sign and walk. You don't even hand them the stuff - you give it to a guy who gives it to them. In terms of the meet and greet, it's just Brian, Al, Dave, and Jeff.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 07, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »

Is there a full set from The Sands anywhere?
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 07, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »

Thanks Smiley

Sign and walk. You don't even hand them the stuff - you give it to a guy who gives it to them. In terms of the meet and greet, it's just Brian, Al, Dave, and Jeff.

Awww, well that's a bummer :/ but it's to be expected, thanks Tongue

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 07, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »

Is there a full set from The Sands anywhere?

I'll give it a shot.

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
CA Girls
Do It Again
Then I Kissed Her
Don't Worry Baby
Little Bird
Old Man River/Cottonfields
Til I Die
Sail On Sailor
Heroes & Villains
Marcella
Pet Sounds
God Only Knows
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Good Vibes
Help Me Rhonda
I Get Around
Fun Fun Fun

+

Beck's set (usual thing I guess - there was no Don't Talk - they did do it in soundcheck - Al wanted for them to sing the "listen....listen....listen" and was denied!)

Encore:
Barbara Ann (Despite AGD's incessant posts, they really need to do this every concert and the audience loves it. It'd be insanely stupid if they didn't)
Surfin' USA
Danny Boy

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 07, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »

Wow, all 3 of my favorite Beach Boys songs in there! Looks like the show itself won't disappoint!

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 07, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »

Did they open with hearts were full of spring?!? Wow. That's interesting!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 07, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »

Did they open with hearts were full of spring?!? Wow. That's interesting!

Yes!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 07, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »

So I'm thinking I may just bring an LP and the Jeff CD booklet just in case, I mean if I say "Why would I want Jeff Beck to sign my Beach Boys LP?" I would think the guy would consider it.

So... should I bring Smile? Pet Sounds? Friends? or Love You.... Decisions.... Or my H&V 45?!?

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 07, 2013, 03:42:41 PM »

Sounds just like our M&G experiences back in C50...it was all very military like!  Nevertheless, I'm sure it was a great experience!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 07, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »

Sounds just like our M&G experiences back in C50...it was all very military like!  Nevertheless, I'm sure it was a great experience!

Maybe I'm imagining things...but wasn't Tara the "host" last year as well?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 07, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »

Yup...she was.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 07, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »

So, no chance just jeff could sign something more fitting? oh well :9

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 07, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »

So they dropped the car songs and no "Darlin'"??  Whatsis world coming to?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 07, 2013, 05:13:59 PM »

So they dropped the car songs and no "Darlin'"??  Whatsis world coming to?

Sorry, The M&B 2013 Tour is somewhere further down the page...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx