gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:36:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200788 times)
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 05, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »

Just back from the Washington DC show!

I didn't know I was going till just a couple of days ago.  But last week, my beloved grandmother died (at age 95 -- and still really active and with-it up to literally the last minute), so I flew back up from Sydney to help my parents through it all.  And then I discovered that the band was in town...  and ended up taking my parents and wife to the show.  The Beach Boys were their music too.

It wasn't transcendent like some of the previous Brian shows I've been too (though Jeff Beck's take on "A Day In The Life" nearly levitated me bodily out of my seat), but it was a wonderfully loose and lively band-centered show.  Brian was not on his best vocal form, but I think part of that might have been his mic being angled wrong -- he seemed to be either off-mic or mixed too low too much of the time.  Still, nowhere near a Bad Day for Brian...  and the rest of the group more than filled the available space.  This really did feel like a continuation of the 50th shows, with Brian not center stage, but with an extra creative zing to it.

Nul points to the extremely stoned guy about six rows ahead of us who spent much of the concert standing up performing some sort of interpretive dance, though.

Setlist:

California Girls (yup, swapping it around)
Do It Again
409 (I think this was a split lead between Brian and Al!)
Little Deuce Coupe (Al)
Add Some Music (Al took the Carl bridge)
Little Bird (David)
Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring (the whole band acapella -- breathtaking)
Old Man River / Cottonfields (Al)
Sail On Sailor (Brian)
Heroes And Villains (Cantina version, *and* "Bicycle Rider" coda!  Also, Brian sang "We're fit with the stuff / To ride in the rough" -- dunno if he meant the plural to suggest this new post-50th band...)
Marcella
Pet Sounds (*not* David on lead, but Nicky Wonder!  Also solos from Paul von Mertens and Nelson Bragg -- they're making it a band showpiece)
God Only Knows (Brian started out very breathy, but built up for a dramatic crescendo at the end of the third verse for "So what good would living do me?" -- stunning)
Sloop John B (Al and Brian)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (Jeff with Brian on the bridge)
Good Vibrations
Help Me Rhonda (Al -- and he even sang "She was gonna be my woman"!)
I Get Around
Fun Fun Fun

Further note:  Al was in great voice.  No white suit!

The Jeff Beck set...  I don't really know from Jeff Beck.  But I did recognize a few pieces I'd checked out after reading the setlist:  Eternity's Breath / Stratus, You Never Know, Big Block, Little Wing, and a gorgeous Where Were You.  But this is by no means complete.  His band (including his second guitarist) were all pretty dazzling and got their moments in the spotlight.

Then Brian and his entire band (barring Bobby Lizik and Mikey D'Amico) returned for the Smile medley: "Prayer", the coda to "Child" (which serves as an intro to "Surf's Up") with Jeff's violinist doing the string line, and "Surf's Up".  I don't think I remembered to breathe for the entire piece.  And the "A children's song" lyrics?  Sung not by Al, but by Brian.  Perfect.

To my surprise, Jeff Beck then went into a solo "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", which then led into "Brush With The Blues" (I think) with Brian's band adding more backing vocals.  Then a vocal number with Beck and his band, sung by Jeff's violinist, Jeff Foskett, and Probyn Gregory, which I couldn't identify.  A rocking "Rollin' and Tumblin'", with Scott, Jeff F, and Darian leading various vocal shouts.  And Jeff's band alone for a breathtaking "A Day In The Life" -- very different from the take Jeff did with George Martin, but with the violin it was incredibly moving.

Encores:  "Barbara Ann" and "Surfin' USA", followed by the lovely "Danny Boy".  No bass for Brian.  Hearing Barbara Ann with a Jeff Beck solo pasted in was a bit headspinning, but it kind of worked...

Last but certainly not least...  the last time I saw my mother cry was at the funeral last Sunday.  Since then she's been very much in cope mode.  But in the middle of "Sloop John B"?  It all came out.  This upbeat little number reminded her of going sailing up in Massachusetts when she was young, and how wonderful her mother was to her, but now she's gone, and she just wanted to go home...  

But by the end of the song she was applauding tremendously, and loving the whole concert.  The music brought her through and out the other side.

This band, this music, still truly amazes me.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 05, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »

Then a vocal number with Beck and his band, sung by Jeff's violinist, Jeff Foskett, and Probyn Gregory, which I couldn't identify.

"How High the Moon"
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 05, 2013, 10:17:43 PM »

Footnote:  this means it was a show with four numbers from "Pet Sounds", four-and-a-bit from "Smile", and six more from 1968-1973, despite being a short setlist.  Plus "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring".  I never thought I'd see a setlist weighted that heavily towards the later material again...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 05, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »

Jon, thanks for the good review!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 05, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »

Brian was not on his best vocal form, but I think part of that might have been his mic being angled wrong...

...and this is how bad they need Bruce Johnston!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: October 06, 2013, 12:46:49 AM »

Post of the month, possibly of the year.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: October 06, 2013, 12:49:05 AM »

Delighted to see the setlist evolving nicely.

Bummed to see "B-f-A" is back.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 06, 2013, 04:37:02 AM »

Pet Sounds (*not* David on lead, but Nicky Wonder!…

Great to hear - I think Nicky's an absolutely outstanding guitarist and the majority of C50 shows – incredible as they were, truly – really, really missed him. If he was kept out of the line-up after his illness because someone thought there were too many guitarists, then that someone was wrong; check out the early 70s live tracks on MIC – The Beach Boys were a guitar and vocal band at the time, to devastatingly wonderful effect.

Footnote:  this means it was a show with four numbers from "Pet Sounds", four-and-a-bit from "Smile", and six more from 1968-1973, despite being a short setlist.  Plus "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring".  I never thought I'd see a setlist weighted that heavily towards the later material again...

Couldn't help but smile at the description of 1966-1973 being the "later material"… that's still from within the first 12 years of the band's existence  :D

“We live in divisive times.”
Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 06, 2013, 04:50:59 AM »

Nice review, Jon. I was there, too. That dancing guy was clearly on another planet.
Disappointing that they didn't do any solo  Brian stuff or anything from the new album. It was a good show, but not transcendent like the one I saw in Dayton in July, where the audience seemed to levitate from the performance. Kind of a generic set. Maybe too much Brian within a few months?
Sorry for your loss. I found this music to be a great healer in similar circumstances.
Must be that Anna Lee!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 06, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice (Jeff with Brian on the bridge)

^  Bliss!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 06, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »

Great to hear - I think Nicky's an absolutely outstanding guitarist and the majority of C50 shows – incredible as they were, truly – really, really missed him. If he was kept out of the line-up after his illness because someone thought there were too many guitarists, then that someone was wrong; check out the early 70s live tracks on MIC – The Beach Boys were a guitar and vocal band at the time, to devastatingly wonderful effect.

Footnote:  this means it was a show with four numbers from "Pet Sounds", four-and-a-bit from "Smile", and six more from 1968-1973, despite being a short setlist.  Plus "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring".  I never thought I'd see a setlist weighted that heavily towards the later material again...

Couldn't help but smile at the description of 1966-1973 being the "later material"… that's still from within the first 12 years of the band's existence  :D

It might be sacreligious to say this here, but I always thought Nicky did a better job on "Pet Sounds" than David did...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 06, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »

Brian was not on his best vocal form, but I think part of that might have been his mic being angled wrong...

Beautiful

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 06, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »

My only regret is that, here in lovely DC on this week of weeks, they failed to perform Shut Down.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 06, 2013, 09:59:46 AM »

What a travesty. Best car song Brian (and Roger) ever wrote.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 06, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »

Sorry. Was referring to this week 's congressional hijinks.
Inside baseball.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 06, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »

It might be sacreligious to say this here, but I always thought Nicky did a better job on "Pet Sounds" than David did...

A while back in the 'Unpopular BB Opinions' Thread I actually said Dave seemed to struggle during PS. Feel a bit bad now. Sad
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 06, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »

My only regret is that, here in lovely DC on this week of weeks, they failed to perform Shut Down.

...Well, I got it!  Bwahaha!

Quote from: John Manning
Couldn't help but smile at the description of 1966-1973 being the "later material"… that's still from within the first 12 years of the band's existence  

...Which just shows how far back these things are usually skewed!  Seriously:  when was the last time we saw a Beach Boys / Brian set where the majority of the material was from "Pet Sounds" or later?  I'm guessing the TLOS tour for Brian; for the actual Beach Boys, who knows?  Even the *Royal Albert Hall* show didn't manage that!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 06, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »

Beautiful

BADBJ?

any material from this concert on youtube?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:03:51 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 06, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »

Just got my info for the M&G, I get to bring one thing for each to sign?!? I wasn't expecting that!!

So... what should I bring for Brian? I'm deciding between my Heroes and Villians 45 w/ Sleeve that Darian signed, or my Frank holmes print.... UGHHHH

and for Jeff.... Blow by Blow Smiley

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 06, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »

I'd go for the FH print and say "....oh and Brian. Just got Darian over there to sign my 45. He said you wouldn't mind doing this as well!" Wink
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: October 06, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »

Here's the link to my min-review of the St Augustine show:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16528.msg406551.html#msg406551

Took my big brother there as a late birthday present.  We were both able to meet the kind and generous David and Carrie Marks.  Very nice and down to earth people!

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 06, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »

Till I Die reared its head tonight in Bethlehem.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 06, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »

Sorry I'm late...just wanted to get on and give my two cents about the DC show! I was VERY impressed with Brian, Al, and David. All three guys were even better than on the reunion tour...especially Brian. It was a great night for him, I was very surprised. I felt all his vocals were very good except God Only Knows...if they just lowered the key a few steps it would probably be good though! My only complaint about their set...not enough Al Jardine!!! His pipes are EXCELLENT and he only got full leads on Little Deuce Coupe, Cotton Fields, and Help Me Rhonda. He had sorta "half verses" on 409 and Sloop John B. Finally...does anybody else think "Little Bird" sounds like a lost Tom Petty song with David singing this live? It just hit me last night.

Jeff Beck was absolutely mind-blowing. Such a virtuoso...the pairing worked VERY well. I think he had the majority of the fans, but there was still a lot of support for Brian and their music. The couple next to us were Jeff Beck fans, and the woman next to me saw/heard me singing all the various parts on "Heroes and Villains" and asked me..."how do you remember all that?!"... LOL

So my thoughts as to this band vs. Mike and Bruce...honestly, I don't find one to be better than the other. Mike and Bruce do the early stuff better because Mike has the voice and the moves. Little Deuce Coupe, 409, I Get Around...they were certainly lacking something, but it wasn't musical...it was his presence. You just need a snarky Mike Love frontman on those songs. However, hearing these Pet Sounds, Smile, and onward songs live was amazing. Their Hearts Were Full of Spring brought tears to my eyes.

As fans, I think we kind of benefit by having two separate bands. If we want more surf music, we go see Mike...If we want more artsy material, go see Brian...and if you're like me...you see both every time they come to town! Grin
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 06, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »

Shocked

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 06, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »

Shocked

Whew - amazing night - went to soundcheck + meet and greet - Til I Die was tight but Brian missed "I lost my way". Great Brian vocals on H&V, Marcella, SOS. Al still sounds like he's 20. Brian sang GOK sweetly (dedicated it to Carl before he started), and as we were on our feet applauding afterwards he said to the crowd... "that's your song, that's your song" and it was so hard not to get emotional. Jeff Beck NOT my cup of tea and he was LOUD. Quite an odd pairing - crowd was eating it up though. Brian was singing the "children's song" bit of Surf's Up but his mic was off, unfortunately.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx