gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680851 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:07:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200770 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: October 04, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »

http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/music_news/2013/10/brian_wilson_and_jeff_beck_team_for_unlikely_tour

So how is a pairing this imaginative going to work?

“I don’t know,” Wilson said flatly. “I don’t know who will come. I don’t know if his fans are Beach Boys fans, if his fans like me. But I know if they come, there will be something for everyone.”

--

Little Wing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU-INkzEUQs
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:59:20 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 04, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »

Thanks Ontor for extracting the notable quotes from each story...very helpful!

Brian seems slightly easier to talk to these days...he seems to be giving a little bit more thoughtful answers than he has in the past.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 04, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »

Been wanting to say this! Thanks Ontor!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: October 04, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »

Tonight (Oct 4) the Brian/Beck show is playing Chastain Theater in Atlanta.  I can't go. My awesome ticket right up front among the tables is in danger of going unused.

I paid $60 for it through StubHub. If anyone's interested in it, let me know, maybe we can figure a way to work it out in time.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: October 04, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »

Been keeping a weather eye on the media reviews and the following trends seems to be emerging:

The BW setlist is indeed evolving...

Brian seems generally comfortable...

Jeff Beck is an awesome guitarist...

The combination seems to be working far better than anyone hoped...

Sadly, the early attendances are disappointing, hovering around the two-thirds mark.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »

Yeah, you seem pretty broken up about it. Hopefully it doesn't affect your fourth quarter earnings!

I got the chance to listen to the opening night show, very entertaining... Al assuring the crowd that they'll "dig" the Ol' Man River medley...

Very enjoyable when the two bands start playing together. If only the whole second set was like that! I'm sure the Jeff Beck fans wouldn't appreciate this idea too much, tho.

Sail On, Sailor sounds powerful. One more song for Blondie, huh? Love his guitar at the end -- he should stay on stage and blast some notes on Marcella!

Some asshole's ringtone goes off during Our Prayer and I want to KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

"I'm at a CONCERT!" he bellows as Child is the Father of the Man begins. Then turn off your phone, you inconsiderate dick.

Other Guy on the mic: "It's confusing to me how these guys hooked up."

"They are such different musical tastes, tho... I think it's great!"

Surf's Up/Don't Talk sound fantastic. Great violin on Don't Talk... I'd love to hear that back in the setlist. Or Beck's guitar playing the lead of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" with the backing vox soaring. Tasty variant.

NOW GIVE US MORE NEW STUFF.

Ringtone guy: "Danny Boy? Danny Boy?!?"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:18:19 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 04, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »

We've gotten almost one new song every night! Looking forward to see what is released this evening...and what surprises may be in store for me tomorrow!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 04, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »

Brian seems slightly easier to talk to these days...he seems to be giving a little bit more thoughtful answers than he has in the past.
  Yeah Ontor,  you have been doing a great job checking  all this out for us, adding all the links and whatnot.  Thanks for the effort.  I watched some of your Youtube stuff last night. That's all you playing on Catch A Wave (Blonde Hairdo Mix)? And, Mike Love is Our Kind of People from 8 July brought a smile.  Keep it up.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 04, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »

Well hopefully we'll get an Atlanta report in the next hour or so...

But in the meantime...what's the tour merch like? Anything with both of them?
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 04, 2013, 08:52:34 PM »

Just got back from the show tonight. Incredible performances all around. A surprise for me was that David sang "Forever" in addition to "Little Bird" tonight (well, I overheard it during sound check from outside so I was expecting it but the sound check was the initial surprise).

Brian seemed more relaxed than last year, IMO.

I'm not a Jeff Beck fan but he was amazing to watch. So much energy in his performance. I am definitely going to check out some of his albums.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: October 04, 2013, 08:58:23 PM »

I also attended the Atlanta concert.  Quite an odd pairing but when they performed together it really made a lot of sense.  Couple chestnuts from the "BAD" group: "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring", "She Knows Me Too Well", "Forever", "Pet Sounds", "Old Man River / Cottonfields"  Jeff Beck and his band were amazing.  I shot a lot of video and will get around to posting it someday.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »

Awesomeman- agreed on the odd pairing.
was it me or did it seem like there were more Beck fans than BAD fans?

It almost felt like a Jeff Beck concert with opening act,
Brian Wilson. I'm not complaining at all. It was worth every penny for a truly memorable evening. Just different than I expected.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 04, 2013, 09:05:31 PM »

I also attended the Atlanta concert.  Quite an odd pairing but when they performed together it really made a lot of sense.  Couple chestnuts from the "BAD" group: "Their Hearts Were Full of Spring", "She Knows Me Too Well", "Forever", "Pet Sounds", "Old Man River / Cottonfields"  Jeff Beck and his band were amazing.  I shot a lot of video and will get around to posting it someday.

Shocked

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring must have been heart-stopping with that many vocalists!

I bet David did an excellent job on "Forever"...hope they stay for tomorrow!!!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 04, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »

After what the BB's charged for reunion tickets, the non-stop shows put on by Mike and Bruce, I can see how ticket sales for a Brian and Jeff Beck show could be slow. 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: October 04, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »

Awesomeman- agreed on the odd pairing.
was it me or did it seem like there were more Beck fans than BAD fans?

It almost felt like a Jeff Beck concert with opening act,
Brian Wilson. I'm not complaining at all. It was worth every penny for a truly memorable evening. Just different than I expected.

Yeah, Beck definitely had his share of fans.  Probably a good thing.  The last time Brian Wilson played Chastain by himself, well, let's just say I could fit all the attendees from that show in my little apartment.  :-)

Shocked

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring must have been heart-stopping with that many vocalists!

I bet David did an excellent job on "Forever"...hope they stay for tomorrow!!!

I did happen to shoot video of "Hearts"...

Marks did an ok job with "Forever".  "Little Bird" worked better for him.  He told a pretty good story about Dennis before going into the latter song.  Apparently as kids Marks broke his arm from falling out of a tree.  When Dennis heard about this he proceeded to cut the tree down.  After telling the story Marks joked he was about to perform "A Day In The Life of a Tree"...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:22:14 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 04, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »

After what the BB's charged for reunion tickets, the non-stop shows put on by Mike and Bruce, I can see how ticket sales for a Brian and Jeff Beck show could be slow. 

The past aside, it's an expensive tour. There's two headlining acts in mostly small theatres with a GIANT band and crew. This show probably costs more to put together than C50 did night after night. Not everyone can see the value in it, or have the financial ability to go! I feel very fortunate to have seats for tomorrow night's show.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 05, 2013, 06:35:31 AM »

It seems we've lost all car songs and "Darlin" for these new ones...that's okay by me!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 05, 2013, 07:18:29 AM »

Awesome! Set list is growing stronger and stronger - hope they keep She Knows Me Too Well until Sunday!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 05, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »

I would have loved to have heard Little Bird in Hollywood, FL. I've thankful to have heard Blondie on SOS and a great version of Don't Talk with Jeff Beck.

Is it a safe assumption that Jeff F took lead vocals on She Knows Me Too Well?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 05, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »

I would have loved to have heard Little Bird in Hollywood, FL. I've thankful to have heard Blondie on SOS and a great version of Don't Talk with Jeff Beck.

He has in the past...I know Brian can't go that high anymore.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 05, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »

Too bad they had to drop "Darlin'" and the car songs. I thought Beck's favorite Beach Boys songs are the car songs. Just add 'em, don't subtract 'em!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 05, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »

God Only Knows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qtSbB1Hplk

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 05, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »

Too bad they had to drop "Darlin'" and the car songs. I thought Beck's favorite Beach Boys songs are the car songs. Just add 'em, don't subtract 'em!

Exactly!
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 05, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »

He did last night if my memory serves correctly. I actually woke up with it stuck in my head with a Fosketty glaze over it.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 05, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »

He did last night if my memory serves correctly. I actually woke up with it stuck in my head with a Fosketty glaze over it.

A phrase used on the tour bus all too often I'm sure...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx