gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 10:48:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200817 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 01, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »

Has this one been posted yet?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2013/10/life_is_a_busy_beach_for_brian.php

It reminded me that early on, Al said they'd be doing some car songs with Jeff Beck to open the show...specifically, "Little Deuce Coupe" "Custom Machine" and more...whatever happened to that? Huh
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »

Jeff Beck joins Brian Wilson for Tower of a concert
http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2013/10/01/entertainment/doc524b28ebb5c37705553897.txt

The same ol' stuff, except a little tidbit:

Wilson fans will be happy to know that after this tour, some more new Wilson music and a new CD is in the works.

“It’s going to be a mellow album of pretty harmonies,” said Wilson. “I think it will be out early next year. But I don’t have a name for it yet.”

How about Brian's Beck ?

I'll get my coat...

LOL this needs to happen Cheesy

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »

It reminded me that early on, Al said they'd be doing some car songs with Jeff Beck to open the show...specifically, "Little Deuce Coupe" "Custom Machine" and more...whatever happened to that? Huh

I know so little about Al Jardine I don't even know if he has siblings. He mentions being surprised by the battles between brothers and cousins in the Beach Boys because he has few. How few?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 01, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

Well, it was difficult not to notice the incredibly talented guy who burned brightly and stuff.

I can't seem to work out what's making some of you guys so damn mean-spirited about this. It's just a quick month long tour, a chance for old bandmates to keep playing together, make some dough, please the fans, make new music together and get some mileage out of the Beck collaboration. Dunno why the daggers are out!

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Al Jardine knows.

he looks scary
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 01, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »

Well, it was difficult not to notice the incredibly talented guy who burned brightly and stuff.

I can't seem to work out what's making some of you guys so damn mean-spirited about this. It's just a quick month long tour, a chance for old bandmates to keep playing together, make some dough, please the fans, make new music together and get some mileage out of the Beck collaboration. Dunno why the daggers are out!

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Al Jardine knows.

he looks scary

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 01, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »

LOL
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 01, 2013, 10:15:58 PM »

That was a nice piece. Great story in there about Carl as well.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: October 01, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »

I know so little about Al Jardine I don't even know if he has siblings. He mentions being surprised by the battles between brothers and cousins in the Beach Boys because he has few. How few?

Just the one, as far as I know: Neal, born in 1938.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 02, 2013, 05:49:54 AM »

The Atlanta show preview article is at the link below, but there's nothing new in the story.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/atlanta-music-scene/2013/oct/01/brian-wilson-talks-touring-jeff-beck/

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: October 02, 2013, 10:28:58 AM »

"I feel really good tonight."

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2013/10/brian_wilson_jeff_beck_bayou_m.php

God only knows the kind of byzantine William Morris-type negotiations that led to Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson hitting America's large-theater circuit this fall. Oh, to be a fly on the wall at that meeting.

Sure, Beck supposedly loves those Beach Boys car songs that cranked America's rock and roll engine in the early '60s, but who doesn't? Almost anyone under age 40, it turns out. Tuesday's Bayou Music Center crowd was half full, and almost entirely absent anyone in their twenties and thirties. Meanwhile, the Wilson/Beck pairing made for a most disjointed two and a half hours, but all parties involved managed to right the ship by the end, just like a proper Hollywood production should. There was even a surprise cameo by a very famous hometown rock star.

--

Say hello to new guitarist... Jeffrey Voskamp.

VOSKAMP! The reviewer also doesn't like all the stuff in the setlist we actually want to hear and prefers the hits. I can't believe Ol' Man River was snubbed. Sniff. Also, Heroes and Villains "clutters up the setlist." Long may it make a glorious mess, then!

A Day in the Life of ZZ Top: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW94E5q6IJA
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:42:16 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 02, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »

Glad to hear Taylor Mills made an appearance.  I asked her a while back on Tumblr if she would be returning to Brian's band and she said they had never asked her back.  So it's nice to hear they haven't completely abandoned her.

Maybe the reviewer is wrong about this (after all he did get his name wrong) but why would Jeff Foskett be singing lead on "Wouldn't It Be Nice"?  Al should be singing that one.  It appears from the review that Brian is also singing "Sail On Sailor" again (I guess at least for shows where Blondie isn't in attendance).  These guys really love to shuffle vocal duties.

Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 02, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »

Jeff is singing WIBN, or at least he did on opening night. I was a little miffed by that, although he did it well it really is Al's song when it comes to live performances. Also, am I the only one who believes David's vocals are criminally underused on this tour (and C50 as a matter of fact)? He's got such a cool, Dennis-esque California voice that would sound great on tunes like Shut Down, Surfin' USA, Don't Back Down and the like... hell I'd bet he could even pull off a more convincing SoS than Brian for the Blondie-less shows. It's a shame he's only relegated to one lead vocal on each gig.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 02, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »

Are Jeff and Al doubling WIBN? That's what they did at gigs in the summer.
Gohi
« Reply #363 on: October 02, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »

Are Jeff and Al doubling WIBN? That's what they did at gigs in the summer.
Not at my show Sad
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 02, 2013, 05:16:41 PM »

I'll second that. It was just Jeff on WIBN. I thought it was odd at the show but he did sound good on it.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2013, 05:32:53 PM »

I guess maybe with "Don't Worry Baby" out of the setlist, they wanted to give Jeff another spotlight.  Al is so good on it though.  Undecided

To be perfectly honest, I would prefer if Brian sang it as he originally did but it might be too difficult for him now.  When he first started touring solo, he did a great job with it as is evident in the Pet Sounds Live recording but I think he's lost some of his vocal ability in the past ten years or so.  But Al sang it with the Beach Boys for years when Brian wasn't touring (and I think even when Brian rejoined the touring lineup) and he's always done a great job with it.  He sang it when I saw the C50 tour and it was a highlight for sure.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: October 03, 2013, 12:42:28 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/music/brian-wilson-al-jardine-and-jeff-beck-at-warner-theatre/2013/10/02/11628bc0-254a-11e3-b75d-5b7f66349852_story.html

“Carl was a natural,” Jardine says. “There is a tendency to sing flat, which irritated the hell out of Brian. He was always telling us we had to think sharp.”

“If you don’t do that,” Wilson interjects, “you’ll always sing flat.”
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 03, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/music/brian-wilson-al-jardine-and-jeff-beck-at-warner-theatre/2013/10/02/11628bc0-254a-11e3-b75d-5b7f66349852_story.html

“Carl was a natural,” Jardine says. “There is a tendency to sing flat, which irritated the hell out of Brian. He was always telling us we had to think sharp.”

“If you don’t do that,” Wilson interjects, “you’ll always sing flat.”

Nice article! Can't wait for the show...hoping the setlist evolves a little bit more over the next two nights...still a few changes I'd like to see so if I shut my eyes, I don't feel like I'm at a Mike and Bruce show...
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 03, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »

They played Don't Worry Baby at the St. Augustine show earlier tonight. Jeff sang it.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 03, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »

They also took out Shut Down/Little Deuce Coupe and TWGMTR.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 03, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »

Wow, according to setlist.fm, instead of Little Deuce Coupe and Shut Down, they pulled out Custom Machine and This Car of Mine!  Who sang lead on those two?

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 03, 2013, 09:27:31 PM »

Wow, according to setlist.fm, instead of Little Deuce Coupe and Shut Down, they pulled out Custom Machine and This Car of Mine!  Who sang lead on those two?

F**K YEAH! Now THAT is the kind of car songs I was expecting from before...now, did Jeff play with them?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: October 03, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »

Concert review: Unlikely pairing of Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson makes for a tasty combo
http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/403251/tom-szaroleta/2013-10-04/concert-review-unlikely-pairing-jeff-beck-and-brian

Thursday night’s concert by Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre was sort of like a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. Wilson, who wrote nearly all of the Beach Boys’ hits, was the peanut butter, sweet and familiar, if a little sticky sometimes. Beck, the freewheeling guitar wiz, was the pickle, unpredictable and packing a real kick.

--

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/music/mc-brian-wilson-sands-bethlehem-20131003,0,5254388.story

A publicist warns before Wilson gets on the line that questions about "Mike Love and all of that nonsense" are off-limits. But Wilson says that despite what was an abrupt end of The Beach Boys' reunion tour, he enjoyed it immensely.

"It was quite a thrill, actually, to see my band members perform," he says. "Mike Love is a great performer, and I watched him very closely on the tour, and he's really great. And he sings great, too."

--
Beck and Wilson humbly discuss making music
http://www.timesunion.com/entertainment/article/Beck-and-Wilson-humbly-discuss-making-music-4863416.php

The two Greatests don't spend much time in heavy conversation. "It's difficult to read me — and it's difficult to read either of us, really. Nobody knows what's going on within someone," Beck explains. "Brian is very quiet and reserved. ... So we don't actually talk in a normal kind of to-and-fro. It's all in the air. It's very mysterious."

Mystical, even. "And I love mystical, don't you?"

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:57:59 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 03, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »

So I saw the show. It was cool. Brian sometimes looked super into it, and sometimes not. He definitely seemed really info "Heroes And Villains" and that showed, as he did a great performance of that one. He was also pretty powerful on "Marcella" and "Sail On, Sailor", while he also did a nice tender vocal on "God Only Knows". It was also kinda surreal to see them doing  "Old Folks At Home/Ol' Man River" (albeit as a medley with "Cottonfields"). Why woulda thought we would have Brian and Al performing an unfinished song from the 20/20 era live every night.

My only disappointment was that the while the setlist was reasonably diverse, I wish they woulda chosen a bit more Brother era material rather than stuff like "This Car of Mine." Honestly, as I also point out below, I think the best car songs were the hits and if they are gonna do a few car songs, I'd prefer "Shut Down" and "Little Deuce Coupe."

Anyways, I think adding a few other songs, possibly like "Good Timin'", "Lookin' At Tomorrow" or "Caroline No" would definitely make things a bit more interesting. But honestly I know better by this point. It's not 2002 anymore, and the group doesn't really do the "rarity" thing as much as they used to. Although, I gotta say that "Little Bird" (definitely an unknown to most in the crowd) featured a stunning vocal by Dave. And trust me, I never thought he was anything to write home about, but he really does sound like a young Dennis, at least on that one.

I was there, and I'm pretty sure it was Brian on "Custom Machine" and Dave on "This Car of Mine". Honestly, as much of a fanatic as I am of The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson, I woulda preferred "Little Deuce Coupe" and "Shut Down". At the C50 show I saw last year, they had so much energy to 'em.
Nicko1234
« Reply #374 on: October 04, 2013, 12:23:27 AM »

It's interesting that they played This Car of Mine. But I do think this is one of the worst car songs that they ever recorded.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx