gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:20:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200602 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: September 30, 2013, 09:34:28 PM »

Seems pretty nifty to me! The living Beach Boys that are actually FROM Hawthorne still together singin' and playing, something different, new material... why not? I can't wait for the LA/Oakland dates.

Here's another one of those damnable pseudo-critics who thinks so too -- gee, why don't these guys get with the program?

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20130930/LIFESTYLES0111/309300015/Beck-Wilson-collaboration-sensation

Bruce Fessier: Beck/Wilson collaboration is a sensation

Wilson, who has a home in Indian Wells, is now collaborating with virtuoso rock guitarist Jeff Beck. And it could be a marriage made in heaven. Beck uses his guitar like a human voice. Wilson uses human voices like instrumental parts. As music director, Foskett must make sure they make love, not cacophony.

Wilson and Beck came together in 2005 when the recording industry honored Wilson as the MusiCares Person of the Year at the Hollywood Palladium. Wilson’s late publicist, Ronnie Lippin, suggested her client, Beck, play in the musical salute with Wilson’s band.

Foskett, who lives in Rancho Mirage, led that band in its serenade to Wilson off stage. They accompanied such diverse artists as Neil Young, Darlene Love, Billy Preston and Michael McDonald on Wilson’s songs, but Beck stole the show with his instrumental version of “Surf’s Up.”

--

Foskett interview follows. He bigs up Beck over... Page and Clapton. What a coincidence. Cough.

Lots of geeking out over guitar stuff, too. Those worried about bald men being slighted in the article can rest easy knowing that other guy isn't mentioned at ALL.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:49:14 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 30, 2013, 11:45:41 PM »

You know what all this has got me thinking? Brian should do a tour w/ Lindsey Buckingham. There's already some history between The Beach Boys & Fleetwood Mac, so it'd be a great merging of two idiosyncratic pop rock masters. Maybe we'd get live versions of D.W. Suite & He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move!  Razz

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 01, 2013, 12:47:46 AM »

You know what all this has got me thinking? Brian should do a tour w/ Lindsey Buckingham. There's already some history between The Beach Boys & Fleetwood Mac, so it'd be a great merging of two idiosyncratic pop rock masters. Maybe we'd get live versions of D.W. Suite & He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move!  Razz

I think an Elvis Costello collaboration would be cool as well, Elvis is a big Beach Boys fan and based on the success of his collaboration with Burt Bacharach, one with Brian could be fantastic.

Nicko1234
« Reply #328 on: October 01, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »

Seems pretty nifty to me! The living Beach Boys that are actually FROM Hawthorne still together singin' and playing, something different, new material... why not? I can't wait for the LA/Oakland dates.

Nothing tenuous about that comment.  Cheesy
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 01, 2013, 08:13:58 AM »

I think all things considered we should be happy with whatever we get NOW.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: October 01, 2013, 08:30:50 AM »

Nothing tenuous about that comment.  Cheesy

Wilson/Marks/Jardine: Hawthorne High
the other two guys: not so much.

Seems fitting it goes back to that.

More interviewage:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2013/10/life_is_a_busy_beach_for_brian.php

In some ways, the genesis of the Beach Boys as a serious group started on the June day in 1960 at Hawthorne High School when Jardine met fellow football player Brian Wilson.

More than 50 years later, the pair still have something of a mutual admiration society, when we asked each of them to say something about the other people might find surprising.

"Brian has an amazing memory. A great musical memory, but a great memory period. You can ask him 'how many accordions did we have on "Wouldn't it Be Nice?" And he'll say 'well, we had three. 'And then he'll name the guys who played them!" Jardine says.

--

No drama in that interview. Hmm, where can we find some drama this morning? Oh I know - how about Jeff Beck vs Rod Stewart?

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.810&article=114848

And he admitted his dream of reuniting both his former bands, The Jeff Beck Group and The Faces, for a joint tour is unlikely to happen because Jeff is still ''angry'' with him.

He said: ''Two of us [myself and Ronnie Wood] are in both bands, so we could do half the show with the Faces, half with Jeff Beck.

''Whether Jeff would want to do it, there's two chances -- slim and none. When Jeff's angry at you, he stays angry for a long time.''
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:38:43 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: October 01, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »

In some ways, the genesis of the Beach Boys as a serious group started on the June day in 1960 at Hawthorne High School when Jardine met fellow football player Brian Wilson.

Flag on the play - Brian & Alan were on the same football team in 1957. You're thinking El Camino College, July 1961.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: October 01, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »

Well, tell the writer so he can correct his piece.

Brian Wilson interview:
http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/storefront/2013/10/brian-wilson-tvd-interview/

“We wanted to try to please the Americans this time because they need music; the Americans need good music, and we have just that kind of thing for ‘em. Mostly, we’ll be playing Beach Boys classics. There will be some Brian Wilson songs, and songs that aren’t quite well known. Just a lot of good songs.”

--

And now, time for a chuckle:

Brian Wilson, Jeff Beck combine legendary musical powers
http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/entertainment/music/brian-wilson-jeff-beck-combine-legendary-musical-p/nbCPH/

So what is left for a man who has seemingly achieved every musical milestone to accomplish?

“A good rock ‘n’ roll album. A Phil Spector-type album,” Wilson said. “I’m going to start one in December or January. I’m going to do it.”

--

Americans need good music!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 01, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »

I don't think Beck is a good guitar complement to Brian's music. He's too loud and dominating. I own a Yardbirds' boxed set, "Truth," and have bought a couple of other of his solo efforts over the years, but he's not a very lyrical player. He's more of a volume and effects guy. I'd like to see Brian with Jimmy Page, who does have a more subtle, melodic touch in some of his material (and is more versatile). Or even Eric Clapton.

No one comes close to Beck's imaginative and out-of-this-world playing.  Clapton or Page don't even come near Beck's stratosphere.  Beck appears "dominating" because nothing about his guitar playing is conventional.  His playing will stick out because it is DESIGNED to stick out.  If you want typical blues playing that 100 hundred other guys can play then get Page or Clapton (Page isn't even touring).  Beck comes from left field...very much like Brian's songwriting comes from left field.  This joint venture makes more and more sense.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 01, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »

I am very confused by this thread but I have a different kind of question. Has anyone seen the video of Jeff and Brian Dave and Al doing Surf's Up?I have not seen that on a separate thread. I have to say it is profoundly disappointing. Everyone is sitting around while Jeff is playing, and he is completely capable of hitting some bad nodes. Then they sing and its awkward and confusing and disjointed and sort of incoherent. Please Beach Boys get back together. This other version with Jeff Beck is well intentioned but it is a disaster as far as I can tell from these YouTube videos and despite the fawning reverence that some pseudo critics have practiced in reviewing so to speak these shows.

I'm confused also, professor. I wrote in an earlier post how it appeared awkward or unfair to employ David Marks services and then, oh, we'll invite Jeff Beck, too. Then, on top of that, they invite another ace guitarist, Blondie Chaplin. How strange did that appear to have Blondie perform "Sail On Sailor", complete with great guitar solo, and then, we'll see later for "Barbara Ann". Strange.

I like Jeff Beck; I think he's a great musician. But, hey, why couldn't David Marks do the "Surf's Up" instrumental? Instead they give him the fine, but slightly underwhelming "Pet Sounds". What about some of the early surf instrumentals? Wouldn't it be cool to hear David and the band tear into "Surf Jam" or "Miserlou" or even "Stoked" for chrissakes. We got "A Day In The Life" but no "A Day In The Life Of A Tree". Which one would you rather hear?

Well Beck seems to be treating "Surf's Up" as his new "A Day In The Life" instrumental.  He performed it at the MusicCares show for Brian and it seems like Beck wanted to have it in the show because it was one more song he could play on.  Who knows?  Maybe Brian really likes him playing it?  Sure David Marks could have played it but Beck has established it as his some time ago already.  A guitar duet with David would have been fun. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: October 01, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »

Plus the video cuts off before we can hear most of the vocals. Sounded great at the charity event!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 01, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »

“A good rock ‘n’ roll album. A Phil Spector-type album,” Wilson said. “I’m going to start one in December or January. I’m going to do it.”

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.   Uh huh.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 01, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »

Here's another one of those damnable pseudo-critics who thinks so too -- gee, why don't these guys get with the program?

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20130930/LIFESTYLES0111/309300015/Beck-Wilson-collaboration-sensation

Bruce Fessier: Beck/Wilson collaboration is a sensation

Wilson, who has a home in Indian Wells, is now collaborating with virtuoso rock guitarist Jeff Beck. And it could be a marriage made in heaven. Beck uses his guitar like a human voice. Wilson uses human voices like instrumental parts. As music director, Foskett must make sure they make love, not cacophony.

Wilson and Beck came together in 2005 when the recording industry honored Wilson as the MusiCares Person of the Year at the Hollywood Palladium. Wilson’s late publicist, Ronnie Lippin, suggested her client, Beck, play in the musical salute with Wilson’s band.

Foskett, who lives in Rancho Mirage, led that band in its serenade to Wilson off stage. They accompanied such diverse artists as Neil Young, Darlene Love, Billy Preston and Michael McDonald on Wilson’s songs, but Beck stole the show with his instrumental version of “Surf’s Up.”

--

Foskett interview follows. He bigs up Beck over... Page and Clapton. What a coincidence. Cough.

Lots of geeking out over guitar stuff, too. Those worried about bald men being slighted in the article can rest easy knowing that other guy isn't mentioned at ALL.

Of course he's going to talk up Beck. He's on the tour, right?  I don't think Beck is a better guitarist than either of those guys or he wouldn't need to hide behind the high volume, effects pedals, and whammy bars. Loud isn't always good. He's trying to be a white Hendrix and only one guy was up to that task (the black Hendrix). In any case, I'm not impressed with the clips of him doing Brian's music. Brian is better off with David Marks and even the not-so-great Foskett. The Beck thing is a gimmick and it doesn't go with either guy's style.

BTW, according to the list of "Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time," Clapton is 2, Page is 3, and Beck is 5. It was voted on by a panel of distinguished musicians.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: October 01, 2013, 11:20:45 AM »

Sure, people have different opinions. Some of those opinions may even be distinguished! I just thought it was amusing that the interview popped up a few minutes after you mentioned those other two fellas.

White Hendrix? Uh huh. Well, now that we've established that you don't like anything about this, I hope we can enjoy variations on that theme for the next ten pages of this thread. Sprinkled in with personal insults now and again for spice! Ahhhh, reading enjoyment goes on and on.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:26:29 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 01, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »

By the way, who's this Feelsflow guy running rampant on the board today?  I know this guy from Boulder Creek who likes to run rampant with a lotta opinions too.  Probably from the same area....
  ...yeah, yeah         Hi Mikie, I was making my last post yesterday when you shot through that "gem-of-a-post". Grin  Look down, it was supper bell.  You know, ontor did a great job last Saturday and yesterday, and I guess he will be leading the charge on the tour videos again today.  I've only been posting a week (after lurking these corridors for over three years), and hey I'm trying to get my numbers up.  Other posters who joined at the same time I did have near 300.  Today my goal is to go off on a rant about how I can't get Jon and Ian's new book at a B&M store.  Up here in the sticks, no store within 50 miles will stock it.  And ordering through Amazon...10 lbs doesn't travel well in those plastic bags they call safe ship.  MIC was the only thing all year I got from Amazon that wasn't nicked, bent or broke.  And it only cost me $150.  I hate dealing with returns so much, that Amazon charged me again for two titles - and I still haven't got to sending them back.  The 4-disc Stills box, which yes, shipped in a plastic bag, took me three tries.  btw B&N said they would be glad to order it for full retail -$40.  Yeah, they are looking for folks born under rocks.  Well, sure everyone enjoyed that I busted into this thread to do my rant "here and now."  - Rant Over.  Read on gentle posters.  Smile     I see ontor and the gang are here again.          EDIT:  Update.  This is where it's trapped, so I will have to put this here.  Got my new printer hooked up yesterday, which was why I couldn't send back the stuff, yes, buyer is responsible for returns.  But, called first, and they said forget it!!  They are refunding my money.  Now, if I want, I can take my extra copies (with smashed covers), and sell 'em, trade 'em, or...        My new printer, a HP Officejet 8600 Pro Premium, should help me with my online projects.  Now, all I need to do is get more "tech" savey. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:10:52 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 01, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »

Jeff does "Little Wing" in his set.  I'd say he paid attention to Jimi's work.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:55 AM »

Well, it was difficult not to notice the incredibly talented guy who burned brightly and stuff.

I can't seem to work out what's making some of you guys so damn mean-spirited about this. It's just a quick month long tour, a chance for old bandmates to keep playing together, make some dough, please the fans, make new music together and get some mileage out of the Beck collaboration. Dunno why the daggers are out!

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Al Jardine knows.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:46:52 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 01, 2013, 11:45:17 AM »

Did anyone else notice the american prices for Brian/Beck? $35-55$!

Here in Oz we pay at least $150 a ticket.....Gladly.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 01, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »

They're higher than $55 for all venues for the best seats. Those must be the balcony prices. The orchestra type seats tend to go for around or over $100.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 01, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »

By the way, who's this Feelsflow guy running rampant on the board today?  I know this guy from Boulder Creek who likes to run rampant with a lotta opinions too.  Probably from the same area....
  ...yeah, yeah         Hi Mikie, I was making my last post yesterday when you shot through that "gem-of-a-post". Grin  Look down, it was supper bell.  You know, ontor did a great job last Saturday and yesterday, and I guess he will be leading the charge on the tour videos again today.  I've only been posting a week (after lurking these corridors for over three years), and hey I'm trying to get my numbers up.  Other posters who joined at the same time I did have near 300.  Today my goal is to go off on a rant about how I can't get Jon and Ian's new book at a B&M store.  Up here in the sticks, no store within 50 miles will stock it.  And ordering through Amazon...10 lbs doesn't travel well in those plastic bags they call safe ship.  MIC was the only thing all year I got from Amazon that wasn't nicked, bent or broke.  And it only cost me $150.  I hate dealing with returns so much, that Amazon charged me again for two titles - and I still haven't got to sending them back.  The 4-disc Stills box, which yes, shipped in a plastic bag, took me three tries.  btw B&N said they would be glad to order it for full retail -$40.  Yeah, they are looking for folks born under rocks.  Well, sure everyone enjoyed that I busted into this thread to do my rant "here and now."  - Rant Over.  Read on gentle posters.  Smile     I see ontor and the gang are here again.

Ontor posts good pictures and so does Justin. Check out Justin's C50 chronology - just an outstanding job at starting a thread for each C50 gig.

Nice rant! Would suggest PM'ing or e=mailing Jon or Ian direct for your Concert book. If they don't have one laying around for sale, I'm sure they know a B&M store to pick one up. Ian's on the East coast, so that's a little closer to you in upstate N.Y. Got my MIC out of SOCAL, and it came in pristine condition. Sail on!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 01, 2013, 12:27:39 PM »

They're higher than $55 for all venues for the best seats. Those must be the balcony prices. The orchestra type seats tend to go for around or over $100.

Yeah, if you want good seats you're paying around $100 for this tour. Not cheap!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 01, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »

I enjoy Jeff.  Jeff is good - I loved his first four Jeff Beck Group titles and BB&A, but cooled to him after that.  Clapton is "workman-like", bit too much soloing on "live" Cream for my tastes -loved Jack! and everything they did in studio. I got it all.  His work with Delaney and Bonnie was stunning (got the "On Tour" box, and well everything they did).  Solo stuff is hit-or-miss...and he's already had his chance to show what he could bring to Brian's music.  But, of the ex-Yardbirds, the real show is Jimmy Page.  He was a session cat, and is on lots of English records un-credited, even Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends. LOL  Zep's I-IV are classics.  Those are the best, but I bought it all.  The MLPS set is beyond beautiful.  He's off-tour because he wants to be.  And he's busy re-mastering the old records yet again...wants an immersion box for each and every one, sticks, medallions, favorite breakfast foods, the whole bit.  Don't think he could bring much to Brian's sound though.   Costello and Buckingham would certainly work.  Brian could do this now, it's not too late.  It doesn't have to be just Beck, and hope it isn't...not on every track, anyway.  Lot's of folks want to "do it with Brian," so you never can tell.  My first choice, in a "dream on" world, would be Sam Beam/Iron and Wine.  He "does" Brian pretty well already.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:35:38 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: October 01, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »

Jeff Beck joins Brian Wilson for Tower of a concert
http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2013/10/01/entertainment/doc524b28ebb5c37705553897.txt

The same ol' stuff, except a little tidbit:

Wilson fans will be happy to know that after this tour, some more new Wilson music and a new CD is in the works.

“It’s going to be a mellow album of pretty harmonies,” said Wilson. “I think it will be out early next year. But I don’t have a name for it yet.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: October 01, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »

Jeff Beck joins Brian Wilson for Tower of a concert
http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2013/10/01/entertainment/doc524b28ebb5c37705553897.txt

The same ol' stuff, except a little tidbit:

Wilson fans will be happy to know that after this tour, some more new Wilson music and a new CD is in the works.

“It’s going to be a mellow album of pretty harmonies,” said Wilson. “I think it will be out early next year. But I don’t have a name for it yet.”

How about Brian's Beck ?

I'll get my coat...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: October 01, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »

Bwhahaha! Alright, I'll take back the vaccine line on account of my love for the Fast Show.

I can see them having no ideas and going with a song title again. "Right Time," say. Can't you see the terrible Photoshop cover already? Very Joe Thomas.

"Guess You Had To Be There" would be kinda fun! Especially with a ludicrous photo shoot. Seems appropriate for an album with Al/David/Blondie... hmm, that's my vote. Yep.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:40:59 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx