gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:39:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200774 times)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: September 30, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »

Loved hearing Blondie of Sail On Sailor!  Hope Blondie is given another tune or 3 - I'd love to him him sing more leads in the show.  I hope Brian enjoyed it too.  So tough to know with our boy Brian sometimes...
Yea great to see Blondie up there again! Seems like Al enjoyed having him there as well. Nice way to end song too.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »

Can he still pull off Wild Honey? Has he done it at any solo gigs in recent years? I would sell my grandma to see that live.

Don't worry, it's a pretty good deal. Both of mine are dead.

He should stick around and do backing vox on Marcella, at least!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »

Beach Boys ?

This is when you get super annoying. You're correcting a guy who will probably never post on here. Who cares that he said Beach Boys?

You have a lot to offer to this board, and the little nitpicking sh*t is annoying.

You really don't have a sense of humor, do you ?  Grin

About as much of one as you do.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2013, 11:07:31 AM »

Did Mr. Chaplin play a flawless performance here or what? I'd also LOVE to see him do Wild Honey or Mess Of Help or He Come Down! Damn, that was good. Kinduva shame he's making the rounds to a few cities and only has a cameo for one song. But I think it's great that they bring him out anyway.

Steve Love, eat yer heart out!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »

Mess of Help! Ahhh, that'd be bliss.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 30, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »

But with that deepened voice of his, could he pull of Wild Honey as per 1972?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 30, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »

Take a  hike  Embarrassed

Alright, I'll try not to post any pics, articles, or videos from the tour on the thread about the tour. Huh?!
        au contraire, I like your posts - and the crazy stuff you do over on You-Tub.  He's just another negative poster with nothing better to do. Unheard of 'round here, right? Grin  You help keep this place fun.  You did a great job last Saturday.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 30, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »

Wish Blondie was coming to DC! That sounds great!! I don't know how apropriate "Wild Honey" would sound with his voice nowadays though. That's not to say he has a bad voice, it's just a little different.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 30, 2013, 01:19:58 PM »

California Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFrGt7BFlI

Hmm, I just noticed that Jimmy Webb/Brian Wilson version of MacArthur Park is up on youtube as well. Off to listen to that!

me too.  back in a mo...

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 30, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »

This is the most relaxed I've seen Brian at the start of a tour.  He seems to be really at peace with his surroundings.  It seems the last few months/weeks of working has really done good for his health/state. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 30, 2013, 01:28:25 PM »

Enjoyed the SOS clip and thought Blondie was going to launch into an extended guitar ending. Now with Jeff Beck THAT would have been cool! (hint-hint if any of the band read this Wink)

As has been said, a shame Blondie gets one song. What's that about?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 30, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »

Enjoyed the SOS clip and thought Blondie was going to launch into an extended guitar ending. Now with Jeff Beck THAT would have been cool! (hint-hint if any of the band read this Wink)

As has been said, a shame Blondie gets one song. What's that about?

Time to reel out the CATP/Holland tunes for Blondie to sing.
Sail On Sailor, You Need A Mess Of Help, Marcella, Here She Comes, All This Is That, Funky Pretty, California, and even Steamboat are all songs they could perform during this tour. Push some Wild Honey into the mix and this is one dandy period to be a Beach Boys fan!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 30, 2013, 01:44:48 PM »

SomeGuyOnFacebook:

"Most bizarre combination of performers, yet a magical night of music. I've never heard the Beach Boys sound as good. Last time I saw them sound good was probably on American Bandstand in the 60's! But what a surprise!! Wilson, looking disheveled and lost whenever he walked (he looked , sang clear on most of his songs. Beach Boys performed amazing harmonies...really amazing...I'd never heard them as good and I've seen them a few times in person and was always disappointed. Last night...WOW. They leave the stage and an entirely difference concert experience begins. Beck is brilliant! Someone in the crowd yells out, "We love you!". Beck shoots back, "PROVE IT!!" He's a master. He and his 4 other band members are precise, dynamic, powerful, subtle, nuanced...I'd always wanted to see him live and he and the band were a stunner. Later the boys and Beck got together for an unusual spiritual sounding tune with stained glass church windows projected onstage at one point. That was beautiful. It was slightly awkward as Beck tried taking lead on some of the BB's poppier fun tunes. He doesn't play that way, but when he did play his own works and the one's mentioned above...fantastic. It was one of the finest and most bizarre performances I've ever seen in 35 years of concert going. I thought this must been what it was like when Hendrix was opening for the Monkees! [...] See the show, you won't regret it. For fans of both it's an audio treat!"
    wow...He was there to see Beck, ya think?  Must have been a misguided teen in the 60's.  See ontor, more fun thought for words.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »

Beach Boys ?
      Yes, he didn't know the diff.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 30, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »

Stop it ! Grin I'm still trying to catch up with the thread, and my posts keep shooting to the end of a different page.  And, I liked that Webb clip.  Maybe this isn't the time or place to thrill you all with my Jimmy stories...

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 30, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »

Yeah, it's a shame they couldn't have made slightly more money opening night! Al needs to buy a new suit, he wears that white one like EVERY DAY or something.
   And, even that one is a loaner from Van Dyke. Drumroll
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:55:12 PM by feelsflow » Logged

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 30, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »

Beach Boys ?

This is when you get super annoying. You're correcting a guy who will probably never post on here. Who cares that he said Beach Boys?

You have a lot to offer to this board, and the little nitpicking sh*t is annoying.
   Not really, this is just among us... That guy doesn't know this board exists.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: September 30, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »

Then again, he could be talkin' sh*t about us on some Jeff Beck forum.

...and definitely make with the Jimmy stories!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 30, 2013, 02:26:02 PM »

Al needs to buy a new suit, he wears that white one like EVERY DAY or something.

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. Al needs to hang that thing in a closet for awhile. He wore the same suit (or one just like it) back in '07 when he toured with Brian and he's worn it to a few gigs since then. Al should keep his C50 look and quit being so formal. He looks a little out of place with the rest of 'em. The 1968 look is over, Al.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 30, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »

By the way, who's this Feelsflow guy running rampant on the board today?  I know this guy from Boulder Creek who likes to run rampant with a lotta opinions too.  Probably from the same area....

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 30, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »

Well, that was a fun hour.  Off to dinner !  I tip my hat to you one and all...

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 30, 2013, 07:47:44 PM »

I am very confused by this thread but I have a different kind of question. Has anyone seen the video of Jeff and Brian Dave and Al doing Surf's Up?I have not seen that on a separate thread. I have to say it is profoundly disappointing. Everyone is sitting around while Jeff is playing, and he is completely capable of hitting some bad nodes. Then they sing and its awkward and confusing and disjointed and sort of incoherent. Please Beach Boys get back together. This other version with Jeff Beck is well intentioned but it is a disaster as far as I can tell from these YouTube videos and despite the fawning reverence that some pseudo critics have practiced in reviewing so to speak these shows.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 30, 2013, 08:15:51 PM »

I am very confused by this thread but I have a different kind of question. Has anyone seen the video of Jeff and Brian Dave and Al doing Surf's Up?I have not seen that on a separate thread. I have to say it is profoundly disappointing. Everyone is sitting around while Jeff is playing, and he is completely capable of hitting some bad nodes. Then they sing and its awkward and confusing and disjointed and sort of incoherent. Please Beach Boys get back together. This other version with Jeff Beck is well intentioned but it is a disaster as far as I can tell from these YouTube videos and despite the fawning reverence that some pseudo critics have practiced in reviewing so to speak these shows.

I'm confused also, professor. I wrote in an earlier post how it appeared awkward or unfair to employ David Marks services and then, oh, we'll invite Jeff Beck, too. Then, on top of that, they invite another ace guitarist, Blondie Chaplin. How strange did that appear to have Blondie perform "Sail On Sailor", complete with great guitar solo, and then, we'll see later for "Barbara Ann". Strange.

I like Jeff Beck; I think he's a great musician. But, hey, why couldn't David Marks do the "Surf's Up" instrumental? Instead they give him the fine, but slightly underwhelming "Pet Sounds". What about some of the early surf instrumentals? Wouldn't it be cool to hear David and the band tear into "Surf Jam" or "Miserlou" or even "Stoked" for chrissakes. We got "A Day In The Life" but no "A Day In The Life Of A Tree". Which one would you rather hear?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:26:36 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 30, 2013, 08:37:24 PM »

I don't think Beck is a good guitar complement to Brian's music. He's too loud and dominating. I own a Yardbirds' boxed set, "Truth," and have bought a couple of other of his solo efforts over the years, but he's not a very lyrical player. He's more of a volume and effects guy. I'd like to see Brian with Jimmy Page, who does have a more subtle, melodic touch in some of his material (and is more versatile). Or even Eric Clapton.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx