gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:19:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200773 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: September 29, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »

Another review!

http://www.bocamag.com/blog/2013/09/29/review-brian-wilson-jeff-beck/

"On Friday, it felt more like he had been liberated. Yes, at 71 and having battled his share of psychological demons, Wilson sometimes can appear a little catatonic at times behind his white piano. But en masse, the Brian Wilson Band makes Love’s incarnation—which occasionally invites actor John Stamos to play drums—sound like a recently fired Ramada Inn lounge act.

[...]

Let's face it. This night could’ve have gone any number of the ways. But in the end, the geniuses knew exactly what they were doing."

Those sensitive to anything that might reflect poorly on Mr. Positivity should avoid this review because it also says: " It would take decades to sift through the rifts, rubble and fractured history of the Beach Boys, but Love is never far from the carnage."

Complete Jeff Beck setlist, too.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:34:03 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 29, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »

is osd blind?

Given the way he spells Myke Luhv, I always assumed he was.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »

I didn't see "Darlin'" and "Marcella" on that publicized list. Was the other setlist I saw earlier today B.S.?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: September 29, 2013, 05:51:20 PM »

Yeah, that's the next day in Clearwater. This review is for Friday night.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:53:34 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »

Boca Mag? Yeah, that's a nationally prominent publication. One thing that did catch my eye in that review:

The answers arrived before an enthusiastic but disappointing turnout that forced Hard Rock to curtain-off the back section of the arena, which only seats 5,500. Those who considered attending but begged off for whatever reason should be kicking themselves. You missed one of the year’s most fascinating evenings of music—not to mention glimpses into the minds of two of rock’s most towering and influential figures.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: September 29, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »

Yeah, it's a shame they couldn't have made slightly more money opening night! Al needs to buy a new suit, he wears that white one like EVERY DAY or something.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 29, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »

Yeah, it's a shame they couldn't have made slightly more money opening night! Al needs to buy a new suit, he wears that white one like EVERY DAY or something.

Al can't buy a new suit because no one wants to come to see Al play in the same old suit. Poor guy will never catch a break

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 29, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »

I just wonder if Florida is that great of a market for Brian or Beck. That writer says 5,500 is a small hall, but both guys have played smaller venues than that. I'm not even sure Mike's Beach Boys play venues as large as that much of the time.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: September 29, 2013, 06:16:47 PM »

Well, it wouldn't be smart to open a tour they were both nervous about in a major market, would it? Better to iron out the kinks in Florida, Georgia, and Texas before hitting NYC or LA, say. Those cities tend to have journalists from slightly larger publications than the Boca Mag, after all.

Really curious to see how the setlists mutate, there's the potential for some really unique performances here!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:23:21 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 29, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »

Beach Boys ?

This is when you get super annoying. You're correcting a guy who will probably never post on here. Who cares that he said Beach Boys?

You have a lot to offer to this board, and the little nitpicking sh*t is annoying.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »

Yeah, that's the next day in Clearwater. This review is for Friday night.

Ah, OK, thanks.  Hope they stay with the Clearwater setlist when I see them in a coupla weeks.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 29, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »

Beach Boys ?

This is when you get super annoying. You're correcting a guy who will probably never post on here. Who cares that he said Beach Boys?

You have a lot to offer to this board, and the little nitpicking sh*t is annoying.
Relax...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:10 PM »

I just wonder if Florida is that great of a market for Brian or Beck. That writer says 5,500 is a small hall, but both guys have played smaller venues than that. I'm not even sure Mike's Beach Boys play venues as large as that much of the time.

Very fair point - that's a big venue for Brian (for example, the RFH is about 2700) or Mike. I'm guessing the promoter remembered filling it last year and made a poor decision.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

Beach Boys ?

You really don't have a sense of humor, do you ?  Grin

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: September 29, 2013, 11:32:19 PM »

Very fair point - that's a big venue for Brian (for example, the RFH is about 2700) or Mike. I'm guessing the promoter remembered filling it last year and made a poor decision.

It really warms the heart to see such feigned concern for the finances of concert promoters, doesn't it?

But now, let us turn from minimizing rave reviews while sniffing at box office to another installment of What The Hell Is Brian Saying Now?

http://www.registerstar.com/news/article_f840d790-2969-11e3-9bd9-001a4bcf887a.html

When Wilson, Jardine, Marks and Beck hit the stage in Albany, Johnston and Love will be touring separately under the “Beach Boys” banner, which Love sued to retain. It’s a situation that has caused longtime acrimony between members. Love announced following last year’s tour that he and Johnston would be touring separately again.

Asked to comment, Wilson said, “We want to take a break from the other two.” Asked if the five will reunite again, he answered: “Probably not.”

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:39:47 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: September 29, 2013, 11:39:28 PM »

I figured my actual thoughts wouldn't make it past the filters.  Grin

Nicko1234
« Reply #291 on: September 30, 2013, 01:40:25 AM »

It really warms the heart to see such feigned concern for the finances of concert promoters, doesn't it?

Is there really anything wrong with people discussing attendances? Especially because how successful this tour is may have a bearing on how much touring they do in the future and what sort of venues they might play. And I don't think anybody would like to think of these legends playing in venues with lots of empty seats...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: September 30, 2013, 02:41:39 AM »

We're fans, it's what we do. Remember, Brian's run the gamut from adding dates in London (actually, a whole tour) when the RFH sold out in roughly an hour in 2002 to the very poorly attended Canadian Gershwin tour, and the latter in no way reflects on the quality of the show (which was outstanding) but rather the ability of the promoters and his management to accurately gauge his appeal in this context.

C'mon, it beats arguing the toss in the ongoing Mike v Brian debate.  Grin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:43:32 AM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: September 30, 2013, 09:28:44 AM »

Is there really anything wrong with people discussing attendances?

Oh there's nothing wrong with it at all, I'm just charmed and delighted by the concern and think it's really sweet. Especially coming from such stalwart Mike fans, some people might make the ridiculous assumption that they would almost WANT Brian to fail and enjoy the fact that opening night wasn't sold out... especially since no interest was expressed in any other aspect of the tour. Like the music, say. But I know that those people would be wrong and it's just concern for concert promoters in this troubled economy.

Another review!

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/countygrind/2013/09/brian_wilson_jeff_beck_tour_kickoff_hard_rock_hollywood_review.php

"Better than: The so-called Beach Boys that Mike Love is trumpeting as the real deal. No love for Love from this guy!

Anyone who thought that teaming of Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck was somewhat incongruous, likely wasn't dissuaded when the pairing was put into practice on the first night of the duo's forthcoming tour at Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, Florida. While Beck's fluid version of "Surf's Up," one of the Beach Boys' landmark accomplishments, seemed an ample nod in the direction of Wilson and special guests Al Jardine and David Marks, who all three cooed along nicely, there was little other common ground between the artists. True, they tried the same tack when Beck offered a soaring take on Pet Sounds' "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on my Shoulder)" -- though there were doubtless many in the crowd who didn't catch the connection -- it didn't all entirely make sense, a final jam session of sorts on "Surfin' USA" and "Fun Fun Fun" notwithstanding.

Still, this doesn't imply disaster. Just the opposite in fact. While fans of the Beach Boys -- oops, make that Wilson and company, thanks Mikey Love -- might not seem to have all that much aligned with Beck fans, both entities -- Beck and his extraordinary five piece, Wilson, Jardine, and Marks with the sprawling backing band that always accompanies Wilson on tour -- seemed to garner equally enthusiastic receptions."

Sail On, Blondie if ya missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJT52IvIxYw   (ahhh, nice. You want to click this.)
24 more pics here: http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/slideshow/jeff-beck-and-brian-wilson-at-hollywood-hard-rock-40445197/#10

also: http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2053044
Al Jardine told us that he always relished his role in the Beach Boys -- and similarly in Brian Wilson's touring band as a dependable team player: "I just pretty much laid low. I didn't have that ego. . . (the) need to satisfy that part of my ego. We had plenty of lead singers. And I think you matriculate toward that as time goes on. You have to be patient and when the right moment comes, you hopefully have the right stuff to be up front."
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:43:56 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 30, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »

Sail On, Blondie if ya missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJT52IvIxYw   (ahhh, nice. You want to click this.)

That was fantastic!  Thanks!

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: September 30, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »

Yeah! They have to give him another song here and there on the tour, absolutely fantastic... Can't wait to experience that live from Da Good Seats!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:01:03 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »

Since when does mentioning attendance make one a so-called stalwart Mike fan?  The reviewer is the one who mentioned the place was half-full and part of the venue was curtained off to make it look more full. It's not like that town may have a choice of smaller venues.  And I think those of us who discussed the attendance also discussed the music. As in, the set list is kind of boring compared to some of Brian's previous solo tours. And that Jeff Beck seems to blend rather oddly with Brian's type of music.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »

That's really interesting, KittyKat.

Mainly I wanna hear more of the upcoming album! This just in from a BW band member I nagged: "Metropolis" soon. Fire up the recording devices, Houston!

"Prog surf music" sez Rolling Stone.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:35:23 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2013, 10:13:51 AM »

Loved hearing Blondie of Sail On Sailor!  Hope Blondie is given another tune or 3 - I'd love to him him sing more leads in the show.  I hope Brian enjoyed it too.  So tough to know with our boy Brian sometimes...
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »

That's really interesting, KittyKat.

Mainly I wanna hear more of the upcoming album! This just in from a BW band member I nagged: Metropolis soon. Fire up the recording devices, Houston!

"Prog surf music" sez Rolling Stone.

Gee, nice that you think so, defender of the Brian Wilson Realm. I used to think that way after reading some of the books, then I got older and grew up and stopped caring about defending and protecting some millionaire that I don't know personally.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx