gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 08:58:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200811 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2013, 10:51:53 AM »

Each of the bands plays the hits. That's what Brian has done since he started touring. They go over well with the audiences, which is why they are played. No, Brian doesn't sound like Mike. Fine. He's still sung these songs live for the last 14 years, and folks have generally been pleased.

It flummoxes me that this thread has been taken over by people who clearly have no interest in watching Brian Wilson play live, and who in fact feel as though he shouldn't. If you're so unmoved and unhappy about it, please go and enjoy Mike's dozens of dates at local high school gymnasiums across America's heartland.

Right arm, Clayton!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »

Setlist posted here:  http://www.ainian.com/new13.html at the bottom of the page.

BBLB
The song titles on here (that aren't BB songs) that say BW vocals, are those Beck songs with Brian singing or are they new songs from the Brian and Beck collaboration/album?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: September 29, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »

It just means BW band members are doing backing vocals (Brian's not doing any vocals on the video of Rollin' and Tumblin' up) on those songs  - mostly covers. Only Danny Boy was vaguely mentioned as being part of the album sessions.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:06:44 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »

They filled in more of the review for Clearwater:
http://tbo.com/events/legend-brian-wilson-guitarist-jeff-beck-play-clearwater-20130928/

This is really just to pretend I meant an accidental repost.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:13:49 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2013, 11:25:34 AM »

From Al's Facebook page:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »

Set the controls for the heart of Jardine!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:37:31 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2013, 11:30:48 AM »

Just this so far:

http://tbo.com/events/legend-brian-wilson-guitarist-jeff-beck-play-clearwater-20130928/

"The highlight was a four-song suite from the 1967 landmark album Pet Sounds"

Ah, setlist up setlist.fm:

California Girls
Do It Again
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Surfer Girl
Then I Kissed Her
Little Bird
Old Man River/Cottonfields
That's Why God Made The Radio
Sail On, Sailor
Heroes and Villains
Darlin'
Marcella
Pet Sounds
God Only Knows
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Sloop John B
Help Me, Rhonda
I Get Around
Good Vibrations
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Little Wing
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Surf's Up (Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson)
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
How High the Moon
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
A Day in the Life
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Encore:
Danny Boy (Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson group)

Little Bird / Pet Sounds / Marcella back! Woohoo. No In My Room. Summertime Blues has evaporated as well, but I'll definitely take Little Bird over that any day.

Can it be that there's no Barbara Ann!?!?! Gasp.

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat? Neat! I wonder what they'll be playing together by next weekend.

This just in. Lester Young is playing what he's feeling.

maybe they cut it out, but BA was on the set list posted on page 9 of this thread

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 29, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »

I'm surprised Jeff Beck isn't playing Beck's Bolero, probably his best known song (unless that's one of the Unknowns).

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: September 29, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »

I'm told that Mike Love specifically requested they use his image on the screen as often as possible.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: September 29, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »

Just this so far:

California Girls
Do It Again
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Surfer Girl
Then I Kissed Her
Little Bird
Sail On, Sailor
Heroes and Villains
Darlin'
Marcella
Pet Sounds
God Only Knows
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Sloop John B
Help Me, Rhonda
I Get Around
Good Vibrations
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Little Wing
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
How High the Moon
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
A Day in the Life
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Encore:

Little Bird / Pet Sounds / Marcella back! Woohoo. No In My Room. Summertime Blues has evaporated as well, but I'll definitely take Little Bird over that any day.

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat? Neat! I wonder what they'll be playing together by next weekend.

maybe they cut it out, but BA was on the set list posted on page 9 of this thread

Previous night's gig.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: September 29, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »

California Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFrGt7BFlI

Hmm, I just noticed that Jimmy Webb/Brian Wilson version of MacArthur Park is up on youtube as well. Off to listen to that!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 29, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »

Just this so far:

California Girls
Do It Again
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Surfer Girl
Then I Kissed Her
Little Bird
Sail On, Sailor
Heroes and Villains
Darlin'
Marcella
Pet Sounds
God Only Knows
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Sloop John B
Help Me, Rhonda
I Get Around
Good Vibrations
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Little Wing
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
How High the Moon
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
A Day in the Life
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Encore:

Previous night's gig.

doh!

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: September 29, 2013, 01:41:28 PM »

California Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFrGt7BFlI

Hmm, I just noticed that Jimmy Webb/Brian Wilson version of MacArthur Park is up on youtube as well. Off to listen to that!

Two observations:

1 - the bv arrangement is very pedestrian, compared with, say, "Adios" or "Nature Is The Law" or "Delirious Love".

2 - the credit as it stands is inaccurate: it should say "featuring Brian Wilson & Jeff Foskett".

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: September 29, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »

Brian looked and sounded bored during CG.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46:17 PM »

Yeah. He missed the start then goofed the lines. Come back Mike!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »

I wonder if the folks running Brian's solo career are aware of the fact that the majority of his solo career fan base are there because of his post-car and surf song career with the Beach Boys. So many fans on the boards seem indifferent or hostile to the early car/surf songs that Mike Love seems to favor.
Brian wrote everyone of those surf and drag songs. He has every right to play whatever he chooses. Personally, I like hearing a little bit of every era. Brian is just not Pet Sounds and Smile.

Isn't it a time honored board tradition to bitch about setlists? Why should it be any different for Brian.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 29, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »

What is the running time of the show? Looks at least a good 2 1/2 hours.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: September 29, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »

SomeGuyOnFacebook:

"Most bizarre combination of performers, yet a magical night of music. I've never heard the Beach Boys sound as good. Last time I saw them sound good was probably on American Bandstand in the 60's! But what a surprise!! Wilson, looking disheveled and lost whenever he walked (he looked , sang clear on most of his songs. Beach Boys performed amazing harmonies...really amazing...I'd never heard them as good and I've seen them a few times in person and was always disappointed. Last night...WOW. They leave the stage and an entirely difference concert experience begins. Beck is brilliant! Someone in the crowd yells out, "We love you!". Beck shoots back, "PROVE IT!!" He's a master. He and his 4 other band members are precise, dynamic, powerful, subtle, nuanced...I'd always wanted to see him live and he and the band were a stunner. Later the boys and Beck got together for an unusual spiritual sounding tune with stained glass church windows projected onstage at one point. That was beautiful. It was slightly awkward as Beck tried taking lead on some of the BB's poppier fun tunes. He doesn't play that way, but when he did play his own works and the one's mentioned above...fantastic. It was one of the finest and most bizarre performances I've ever seen in 35 years of concert going. I thought this must been what it was like when Hendrix was opening for the Monkees! [...] See the show, you won't regret it. For fans of both it's an audio treat!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: September 29, 2013, 04:18:33 PM »

Beach Boys ?

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: September 29, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »

I guess Jonathan Q Public isn't aware of BRI licensing arrangements.

Cut to some guy in Florida telling his friend how disappointed he was not to have heard "Kokomo."
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:24:32 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 29, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »

Beach Boys ?

Yup. 

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 29, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »

I guess Jonathan Q Public isn't aware of BRI licensing arrangements.

Cut to some guy in Florida telling his friend how disappointed he was not to have heard "Kokomo."

....and must have fired that guy with the hat that sings it! LOL
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: September 29, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »

LA Times
October 09, 2012

The Beach Boys recent 50th anniversary tour reunited original members Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks and longtime member Bruce Johnston for the first time in almost two decades.

Near the end of the tour in London, and the day before the band was saluted with a new 50th anniversary exhibition at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, Wilson announced that he, Jardine, and Marks would continue touring under the Beach Boys’ name in his pre-anniversary edition of the band, minus Love and Johnston.

His announcement, which he said was issued to avoid confusion in smaller markets where the Wilson-Jardine-Marks band had been booked, caused a firestorm of publicity as some media outlets interpreted the move as Wilson firing Love, his cousin. Mike Love has forwarded a statement which we reproduce below in it's entirety.

As far as I know I can't be fired--that wouldn't be cool. The negativity surrounding all the comments bummed me out. What's confusing is that by Brian not wanting or letting Bruce and me tour with the band, it sort of feels like we're being fired. What's a bummer to Bruce and me is that we have numerous offers to continue, so why wouldn't we want to? We all poured our hearts and souls into that album and the fans rewarded us by giving us a No. 3 debut on the Billboard charts, and selling out our shows. We were all blown away by the response.

Bruce and I just assumed based on everyone's enthusiasm we would at least want to take those offers into consideration since we all knew about them. I mean, who wouldn't want to play the Hollywood Bowl again, Madison Square Garden and Wrigley Field? And what better way to celebrate New Year's Eve than with the 50th band? That would have blown the lid off things.

It's Bruce and my opinion that all of us together makes for a great representation of the Beach Boys.
While I appreciate the nice cool things Brian said about me in his statement, and I do and always will love him as my cousin and bandmate, at the same time I'm still left wondering why he doesn't want to continue this great trip we're on. Bruce and I want to keep going because we believe we owe it to the music.

That's it in a nutshell, all these conversations need to be between the shareholders, and I welcome Brian to call me.

It's a Love Thing,
Mike Love

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:04:25 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 29, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »

If only oldsurferdude was still here to read that...... LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 29, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »

is osd blind?  Roll Eyes he can always read that piece as a guest.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx