gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:58:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200761 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #200 on: September 28, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »

That does count as roughly a third of his set list.

Apart from the 3 songs done during Jeff Beck's bit it is essentially a greatest hits how though isn't it.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 28, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »

That does count as roughly a third of his set list.

If Al wants to keep putting it out there that they are the REAL beach boys and that their show is different and better and they dig deep...then it should be more than a third!

There is no good reason for them to play Shut Down, Little Deuce Coupe, California Girls, Summertime Blues, I Get Around, Barbara Ann, Surfin' USA, Fun Fun Fun...leave it to Mike and Bruce. They do a better job on the early 60's surf rockers anyway.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »

Brian did great on God Only Knows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfhBYimut1M

Um... you listening to a different audio to me ? He's adequate, passable, but some way short of great. He's done much better, and recently.
In my opinion he sounds great. Sings it beautifully even members of the audience are excited by his vocal performance.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »

As has probably been said many times, the concept of this tour is hard to understand. 

Tickets $$$$$$$ Tickets $$$$$$$ Tickets $$$$$$$

Does anybody find it a bit odd to invite David Marks along, essentially to feature his guitar playing (although I can think of another reason), and then trump that/him by inviting Jeff Beck to share the bill. Yes, I am aware they do separate sets, but when David and Jeff Beck are on stage together, it seems a little, I don't know, like it's putting David into the background, in the shadows, wasting his talent. Come on Al, say something about that. David was the heart and soul of those early songs.

How about we fire up those hot rods one more time.... I assume Brian sang lead on "I Get Around"; did he also sing the lead on "Little Deuce Coupe", and "Shut Down"? My kind of people, the car people!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2013, 03:02:14 PM »

As has probably been said many times, the concept of this tour is hard to understand. 

Tickets $$$$$$$ Tickets $$$$$$$ Tickets $$$$$$$

Does anybody find it a bit odd to invite David Marks along, essentially to feature his guitar playing (although I can think of another reason), and then trump that/him by inviting Jeff Beck to share the bill. Yes, I am aware they do separate sets, but when David and Jeff Beck are on stage together, it seems a little, I don't know, like it's putting David into the background, in the shadows, wasting his talent. Come on Al, say something about that. David was the heart and soul of those early songs.

How about we fire up those hot rods one more time.... I assume Brian sang lead on "I Get Around"; did he also sing the lead on "Little Deuce Coupe", and "Shut Down"? My kind of people, the car people!

Al took the leads on coupe & shut down...but they sound so ridiculous with a giant band. Mike's band..."blows em out of the water" when it  comes to these tracks...

And I don't think David Marks is getting shoved aside. The only songs that Beck plays on that Marks recorded is Surfin' USA & Fun Fun Fun.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »

I'm sure part of what motivated this tour is a p'ing contest with Mike. Why else feature Mike type of songs? Adding Jeff Beck is another gimmick. I like both Brian/Beach Boys music and some of what Jeff Beck has done, but even if I were a huge fan of both, they don't go together. Maybe having Beck play on a track or two of a Brian album is okay, but a concert concept is forced. I remember when Brian toured with Paul Simon. Didn't Paul Simon wind up not liking Brian for that experience, or more likely, Brian's management? Oh, well. I guess exposure is everything, even though I doubt people who are fans of either men will emerge fans of both.
Nicko1234
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »

I'm sure part of what motivated this tour is a p'ing contest with Mike. Why else feature Mike type of songs? Adding Jeff Beck is another gimmick. I like both Brian/Beach Boys music and some of what Jeff Beck has done, but even if I were a huge fan of both, they don't go together. Maybe having Beck play on a track or two of a Brian album is okay, but a concert concept is forced. I remember when Brian toured with Paul Simon. Didn't Paul Simon wind up not liking Brian for that experience, or more likely, Brian's management? Oh, well. I guess exposure is everything, even though I doubt people who are fans of either men will emerge fans of both.

That part of it is just because they are hits I think.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »

Not all of them though...has Brian ever even performed Shut Down & Little Deuce Coupe on a solo tour before?
Nicko1234
« Reply #208 on: September 28, 2013, 03:21:52 PM »

Not all of them though...has Brian ever even performed Shut Down & Little Deuce Coupe on a solo tour before?

Yeah, they're all hits. And he's played Little Deuce Coupe in 2009 and probably at other times.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2013, 03:24:15 PM »

I wonder if the folks running Brian's solo career are aware of the fact that the majority of his solo career fan base are there because of his post-car and surf song career with the Beach Boys. So many fans on the boards seem indifferent or hostile to the early car/surf songs that Mike Love seems to favor.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »

Each of the bands plays the hits. That's what Brian has done since he started touring. They go over well with the audiences, which is why they are played. No, Brian doesn't sound like Mike. Fine. He's still sung these songs live for the last 14 years, and folks have generally been pleased.

It flummoxes me that this thread has been taken over by people who clearly have no interest in watching Brian Wilson play live, and who in fact feel as though he shouldn't. If you're so unmoved and unhappy about it, please go and enjoy Mike's dozens of dates at local high school gymnasiums across America's heartland.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »

I wonder if the folks running Brian's solo career are aware of the fact that the majority of his solo career fan base are there because of his post-car and surf song career with the Beach Boys. So many fans on the boards seem indifferent or hostile to the early car/surf songs that Mike Love seems to favor.
Brian wrote everyone of those surf and drag songs. He has every right to play whatever he chooses. Personally, I like hearing a little bit of every era. Brian is just not Pet Sounds and Smile.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »

What a random show  LOL

I hope people didn't leave to get a beer or go to the bathroom during Beck's set. I think i'd get a kick out of seeing one of the greatest guitarists alive.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »

Each of the bands plays the hits. That's what Brian has done since he started touring. They go over well with the audiences, which is why they are played. No, Brian doesn't sound like Mike. Fine. He's still sung these songs live for the last 14 years, and folks have generally been pleased.

It flummoxes me that this thread has been taken over by people who clearly have no interest in watching Brian Wilson play live, and who in fact feel as though he shouldn't. If you're so unmoved and unhappy about it, please go and enjoy Mike's dozens of dates at local high school gymnasiums across America's heartland.

Right now, I'm wondering since when this board has been taken over by the Blueboard, or the Blueboard mentality. I've seen Brian. I am a fan. I don't think he's God and I definitely don't think the people running his career are geniuses. Jesus, since when has it been if you don't like something Brian has done, or have doubts about it, or think he's not as good as he used to be, or doesn't seem like he's enthusiastic about what he's doing, that makes one a Mike Love fan? Besides which, since when has Mike played high school gyms? He hasn't. I've never seen Mike, BTW.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »

Good to see everyone being so upbeat on this page, pardon the intrusion with some more SHOWSTUFF!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To4AEJSDXqk

More Jeff Beck! "You Know You Know"

BW: "Jeff Beck is resting now. He’ll be out later. He had to take a little nap."
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:07:33 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »

Our Prayer and Surf's Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7C4ScNSik

Pretty awesome!

BBLB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »

Setlist posted here:  http://www.ainian.com/new13.html at the bottom of the page.

BBLB
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »

Beck's guitar solo is fun stuff!  Really invigorates the band who have played these songs countless times.  Can't wait to see it live!

"Barbara Ann"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEsFGm6srDs
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »

Anyone know what the "BW Vocals" thing on Don't Talk are? Maybe just the unreleased backgrounds harmonies?
Wishful thinking - but I'd love to hear him sing it in 2013.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »

Setlist posted here:  http://www.ainian.com/new13.html at the bottom of the page.

BBLB

what do the asterisks denote?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »

Oh my god... CHILD IS FATHER OF THE MAN.

Ha...haha.... HAHA YES THANK YOU JESUS.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »

Show tonight (or right now I guess) is at the Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater Florida. Sold out.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2013, 08:11:51 PM »

Sold out, huh? That damn Melinda! It's all her fault... Her scheme to have Al Jardine refer to Mike Love without mentioning his name to provoke contraversy WORKED!

While in Clearwater, make sure to avoid any offers of a free personality test.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:23:14 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 28, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »

Melinda might buy a necklace with the cheque from tonight's show. Brian likes pretty things.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 28, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »

I'm gonna say again (or maybe the first time) that I think The Beach Boys and Jeff Beck is a really odd pairing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx