gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:19:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200661 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #950 on: October 29, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/brian-wilson-jeff-beck-concert-review-2013/

However it ended, one of the best things about last year’s Beach Boys reunion tour was that it brought Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks back onstage together. And as things splintered, an even better thing happened: Wilson, Jardine and Marks decided they would continue to make music together. For Marks especially, you feel happy that the ‘Lost Beach Boy‘ is finally back with his old bandmates. Wilson, unthinkably the last of the Beach Boys’ Wilson brothers still standing, and Jardine should have been back together with or without Mike Love many years ago. Finally, all is good as it should be and hopefully this union will stick for years to come.

If you’ve seen Wilson perform in the past decade, you’re well acquainted with his solo band, the core of which features members from the L.A. power-pop group the Wondermints. Longtime Wilson and Beach Boys associate Jeffrey Foskett is an important part of the mix as well, filling in some of the familiar high vocals formerly rendered by Wilson back in the day, but bringing crucial amounts of positive vibes and energy to the lineup as well. At the time of the Beach Boys’ reunion tour, Jardine spoke highly of Foskett’s presence and the confidence and support that he adds (Foskett “basically kind of makes it possible to have Brian on the road with us,” Jardine said).

But the same can really be said of the entire nine-piece band that backed the three former members of the Beach Boys during their performance in front of a near-capacity crowd at E.J. Thomas Hall in Akron on Oct. 27 . What if those beautiful songs of Brian Wilson were delivered in a fashion that accentuated their beauty with none of the previously felt undertow of underlying agenda and band stress weighing things down? That’s what was really great about Wilson’s set — it was all the songs that you loved so much back in the day, and the band delivering them looked just as happy and exuberant as the audience enjoying them.

--

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/229606341.html

[Great moments in zero content Brian interviews, volume 6466]

Me: "So does anything from any of your Milwaukee shows stand out?"
Wilson: "No. Not really."

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 29, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »

Is it some type of little-known fact that Al Jardine already played in Brian's band some years back? 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 29, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

Is it some type of little-known fact that Al Jardine already played in Brian's band some years back? 

That was only for a handful of dates though.  Now it seems like he's a permanent fixture of the band.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 29, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »

That does seem to have disappeared down the memory hole, doesn't it? Perhaps because of the way Al's tenure on it ended ...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 29, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »

Just as an aside. It looks like Brian did a charity show last week as well. Who was onstage it doesn't say. From the brit site.

In part...

I just received some nice news about Brian Wilson this morning. Many months ago some friends of mine tried to book us for a hospital fund raising event in Orange County California but we were not available. I suggested that they hire the Brian Wilson Band instead of us for their fund raiser and they raised $100,000 more for the hospital than last year's event! The concert took place the evening before Brian performed at the Greek Theater with Jeff Beck. Go Brian!!!!!

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 24, 2013
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 29, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »

That is Bruce on a really,really good day! Cheesy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: October 29, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »

CVS must've been particularly palate-cleansing that day.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 29, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »

Bruce Johnston has a charity, it's called the "Bruce Johnston foundation", it aides Bruce Johnston.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 29, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »

Just as an aside. It looks like Brian did a charity show last week as well. Who was onstage it doesn't say.

http://news.radio.com/2013/10/18/bill-medley-elvis-costello-brian-wilson-highlight-little-kids-rock-darlene-love-tribute/

BRIAN WILSON, ELVIS COSTELLO, BILL MEDLEY HIGHLIGHT LITTLE KIDS ROCK DARLENE LOVE TRIBUTE
October 18, 2013

Last night (October 17) at Cipriani’s on Wall Street in New York City, a handful of legendary artists -- Little Steven Van Zandt, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, Elvis Costello and Bill Medley of the Righteous Brothers -- came together to pay tribute to Darlene Love. It was the fifth annual “Right 2 Rock” event, raising funds for Little Kids Rock, an organization that works to restore and revitalize music education in public schools, mainly in disadvantaged areas that are threatened by budget cuts. Learn more about Little Kids Rock here.

Last year’s honoree, E Street Band guitarist Little Steven Van Zandt is an avowed Love fan, having produced and written for her, he also led a successful campaign to get her inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. He served as the night’s musical director, playing guitar while conducting the band and looking ecstatic the entire time. Last year, Love performed in Van Zandt’s honor. Before last night’s show, she told Radio.com that being honored this year “Is a weird feeling. It’s also humbling” Always gracious, she deflected attention away from herself, saying “It’s not about me, even though they’re honoring me. It’s about the kids. To be able to give them something they need, and can’t afford, and that the government won’t help them with. “

She says that, were it not for her vocal lessons in school, she may not have become a singer. “There wasn’t really musical instruments in school, but there were glee clubs and a cappella choirs, vocal things. Which was really great, because we got the chance to sing at other schools, representing our school. And our choirs always had like 50 or 60 voices. It was amazing,”

She learned her chops while singing in large groups, as she came to fame singing in a number of combos including the Blossoms, Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans and most famously, the Crystals. And while none of those groups had 50 or 60 voices, they all sounded like they did due in part to Phil Spector’s “Wall Of Sound” production technique.

The Beach Boys were certainly paying attention to the records Love sang on, so it was fitting that Brian Wilson was the first performer of the night. Van Zandt, a longtime Beach Boys fan, looked ecstatic as Wilson and members of his solo band sat in chairs at the front of the stage, and launched into “California Girls.” Wilson followed that up with the understatement of the year (or decade): “Now for a nice pretty song called ‘God Only Knows.’” The high rollers at Cipriani’s collective jaws hit the floor, and things only got better from there, as Wilson announced, “Darlene Love: you’re wanted on stage!” She sat with Wilson and friends for a beautiful version of “Don’t Worry Baby.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 29, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »

He's busy. The night before the Greek was the 19th so that makes the 15th NY, 17th Darlene Love show, 18th Vegas, 19th OC Hospital Charity, 20th The Greek?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #960 on: October 30, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »

That does seem to have disappeared down the memory hole, doesn't it? Perhaps because of the way Al's tenure on it ended ...

It was such a brief stint of shows. I think by my count ages ago they only did something like 11 shows together. 6 in Nov/Dec 2006, 3 in Jan 2007, and only two non-Pet Sounds shows in Jun 2007, one of those unannounced.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 30, 2013, 10:26:13 PM »

Thoughts on tonight's Milwaukee show

-Jeff Foskett sang too many leads tonight..3 if I'm not mistaken, including Wendy, which I don't think was done during rest of the tour
-Al sounded amazing! Great leads and great to hear him in the harmony blend..wish he was singing WIBN though..
-I saw film cameras there, but only in the balcony and near the soundboard.
-One Joe Thomas was lurking around at the soundboard.
-My love of Jeff Beck pretty much begins and ends with the Yardbirds.
-Oddly enough, Monster Mash was a highlight of the night...Brian was hilarious during that one.

Fun, but short BW show.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #962 on: October 30, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »

Ah, fun. I was whining about wanting that in the next tour thread before this one was even over. Somebody throw up a twitchy video, por favor!

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/musicandnightlife/old-men-wilson-beck-display-timeless-vitality-b99128146z1-229996671.html

During Beck's set, Jardine could be seen from the balcony dancing in the wings. It's easy to spot a man grooving in the shadows wearing a bright white suit.

In time for Halloween, Wilson's band added a special cover to the set list for its final show — of the kitchy "Monster Mash." Wilson did his best Dracula impersonation as he sang about the "graveyard smash."

--

Chicago rollin' n tumblin': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz3zO26i4E0
Oakland sailors in the process of sailing on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slpiUdXBgrs (I'm sure it's been posted but here it is AGAIN, then.)
Beck wears sunglasses indoors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUavyi3kzkU
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:19:45 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #963 on: October 31, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »

Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck offer glimpses of greatness at Riverside Theater
Also: Brian Wilson played “Monster Mash.”
http://www.avclub.com/milwaukee/articles/brian-wilson-and-jeff-beck-offer-glimpses-of-past,83954/

he third act of many artists’ lives finds them settling into the nostalgia circuit, playing the same old songs to the same old people, and releasing albums of covers or celebrity duets or some such nonsense every so often just to keep their names out there. There’s no shame in it. It happens to some of the best of them, and, unfortunately or otherwise, Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck both fit the bill to varying degrees. Wilson’s last solo effort was 2011’s In The Key Of Disney, and Beck’s awesomely entitled 2010 effort, Emotion & Commotion, consists mostly of guitar rock re-workings of classical music, along with a version of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ “I Put A Spell On You,” featuring Joss Stone.

But they’re currently putting the finishing touches on a collaborative album, and they can still put meat in the seats, so why not? Longtime fans learn to respectfully lower their expectations, and performers get to keep doing what they love, to the extent that they can. More importantly, younger listeners also get the chance to experience them live, and while Wednesday night’s Wilson/Beck show at Riverside Theater wasn’t anything new, it offered its fair share of shining moments.

--

http://expressmilwaukee.com/article-22070-brian-wilson-and-jeff-beck-@-the-riverside-theater.html

It's hard to imagine two acts more different than Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck. Wilson's Beach Boys are an American institution with a list of hits you'd need four hands to count, while the average person would probably have a hard time coming up with one song by Beck. The unlikely bill is the result of an as-of-yet unheard collaboration between the two, and, against all odds, they made it work Wednesday night at the Riverside Theater.

The last time I saw Wilson, he was clad in Adidas sweatpants and slogging through a Beach Boys Summerfest reunion, eclipsed by the jeering Hawaiian shirt known as Mike Love. He was more animated and talkative Wednesday, but it's hard to deny that old age and mental ailments have taken their toll on the 71-year-old. With that being the case, Wilson's 11-piece band (which included original Beach Boys Al Jardin and David Marks) took on most of the heavy lifting, with Jardin, Marks and Beach Boys "vice principle" Jeffrey Foskett handling a majority of the lead vocal duties. After showing off their group harmonies with an a cappella version of "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring," the band drew from deeper levels of its catalog (not that anything is all that deep for the Beach Boys) like "Darlin'," the Dennis Wilson-penned "Little Bird" and the Stones-influenced "Marcella," as well as taking a festive detour for "Monster Mash." The group hit its stride at the halfway point, rifling through a trio of hits from Pet Sounds (“God Only Knows,” “Sloop John B” and “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”) before getting the crowd on its feet with “Help Me Rhonda,” “I Get Around” and “Good Vibrations.” Wilson and co. went for the wall of sound approach, using four guitars, two keyboards and layers of vocals to bring the classics to life, while remaining unflappably true to the recordings.

--

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2070503

BRIAN WILSON & JEFF BECK TEAM-UP TO CONTINUE IN THE STUDIO

The joint Brian Wilson - Jeff Beck tour wrapped last night (October 30th) at Milwaukee's Riverside Theatre, with cameras on hand to capture the show for an upcoming DVD. The tour has been an interesting one, with Wilson -- whose band includes Beach Boys co-founders Al Jardine and David Marks -- sitting in with Beck for a few numbers each night, with a highlight being their nightly team-up on the Beach Boys' Smile classic, "Surf's Up." '70's Beach Boys guitarist Blondie Chaplin returned to the Wilson fold for the first time in 40 years to guest on a number of shows, singing and playing -- including his signature tune for the band, "Sail On Sailor."

Wilson will return to his upcoming studio album upon hitting L.A., with Jeff Beck joining him at some point to finish up the work they were laying down before the tour started. Beck told us that the music Wilson was serving up in the studio was uniquely original -- with more than a nod to his illustrious past: "The two, three -- well, I think there's are about three or four tracks, but the two main ones that got most worked on from me, I think he wants to recapture some Pet Sounds flavor to it. He wrote this suite for me -- two pianos -- he and another pianist. And unfortunately the tour has steamrolled over recording."

Al Jardine told us that he was impressed with how night after night Jeff Beck seemed to push the envelope musically, while putting on an electrifying show: "Yeah, I mean, we're doing some really innovative things. He's exploring new areas, new realms of music expression for himself and he's delving into the Irish and Indian cultures and just finding out, more about what's out there."

--

[Why not book a romantic dinner for two at Al-Jardin, Milwaukee's finest Mediterranean slugfish eatery. Try our raspberry placenta, lovingly sliced over hot ice.]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:30:17 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 31, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »

Well, is the tour really over?  Hope not, won't they need to do close-ups or something?  If so, I will remember this thread most of all as the beginning of my posting days.  Lots of fun this last month.  Thank you to all who have made this thread what it was, with many interviews and clips.  Special thanks has to go out to ontor, who's still posting as fast as his fingers can fly.  And, it's Halloween, so look back and find the link to his Bat-Man movie on Youtube, it is a great work of Art.
I got to shut this down now, the kids are knocking.. Pirate
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:00:17 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 01, 2013, 07:13:22 AM »

Yes, thank you ontor for the updates!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 01, 2013, 09:21:28 AM »

"the jeering Hawaiian shirt known as Mike Love"

Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin LOL LOL LOL

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 01, 2013, 12:09:45 PM »

Kind of disappointing that they filmed a show that Blondie wasn't at.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 01, 2013, 12:12:31 PM »

Yeah, that really sucks.I probably won't buy it now.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #969 on: November 01, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »

I say we beat up Joe Thomas and steal his lunch money if "Monster Mash" isn't on there.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »

Typical Beach Boy/ JT project then. Turn the auto-tune level up to 'high' and its game, set and match!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 04, 2013, 06:17:14 PM »

Let's all give that a miss then.

Why would they not film the Beacon? Stupid decision.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 05, 2013, 08:32:17 AM »

Because we already have Pet Sounds Live?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 05, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »

That's minus Al and David though.

The Beacon or the LA shows would've have been the ideal shows to record and release as a DVD

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 05, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »

That's minus Al and David though.

The Beacon or the LA shows would've have been the ideal shows to record and release as a DVD

Maybe a special feature with a few of the songs that Al especially contributes to from Pet Sounds. Otherwise it seems a bit redundant. Especially since Jeff is doing more of it now than Brian did on the last release.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx