gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680874 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:00:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200985 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #800 on: October 17, 2013, 11:25:53 PM »

I never got to see the tour when he first did it. I wasn't even at the same level of fandom at the time as I am now. for me to finally see it this weekend is the best second chance I could have ever gotten. I'm feeling as excited today as most of you probably felt 10 years ago when you first saw him do it.

It's the same for me. I really regret missing those shows in NYC.

Last chance I had, curmudgeonly, cranky bastards convinced me not to go giving me the whole "what's the point, he's a deer in the headlights, he's brain damaged, he's a basket case, it's a freak show, he shouldn't tour if he doesn't want to, he's controlled by his wife..." routine. You know, like posts around here. I didn't go see them for myself and really missed out.

I'm getting another chance to now despite this tour being announced as mainly the Wilson/Beck show... my favorite album start to finish at the Greek with tons of people I know around all smiling like loons. With Al in the mix. With Blondie singing Wild Honey and Sail On Sailor. Opening with Their Hearts Were Full of Spring. With Our Prayer/Surf's Up, a buncha hits, and some jazz fusion wheedly wheee thrown in on the side. Pardon the enthusiasm! Sneer at the "worship" and pine for the bald fella all you like, it sounds like a fairly unparalleled evening of entertainment.

(Alright, I'll still say "Gee, I wish David Marks got to sing Little Bird" walking to the parking lot.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:24:00 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 17, 2013, 11:42:40 PM »

why is nick playing the sing pet sounds when Dave crushed it last year?
I miss the BB, and I do not worship this Beck/Wilson thing.

I think the idea is that it's a showpiece for the backing band -- giving Nick, Nelson, and Paul each a chance to solo.  Dave already has at least one showpiece number ("Little Bird" or "Summertime Blues"), and most of the lead guitar parts.  Note that the report is that at the recent Pet Sounds show, where David didn't get a vocal spotlight, he played the "Pet Sounds" lead...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 17, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »

Both band's have spread into deeper cuts since their tours kicked off after the reunion. Mike and Bruce weren't playing things like Wild Honey, Goin to The Beach, and Sail on sailor regularly right away...and Brian wasn't playing things like Add Some Music, Marcella, and Pet Sounds right away...

True, but there's still a difference in the sorts of songs they're excavating.  "Summer Means Fun" and "Goin' To The Beach" versus "Little Bird", "Ol' Man River", and "Don't Talk"?  They're both digging deeper, but still giving very different angles on the catalog...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 18, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »

I never got to see the tour when he first did it. I wasn't even at the same level of fandom at the time as I am now. for me to finally see it this weekend is the best second chance I could have ever gotten. I'm feeling as excited today as most of you probably felt 10 years ago when you first saw him do it.

Last chance I had, curmudgeonly, cranky bastards convinced me not to go giving me the whole "what's the point, he's a deer in the headlights, he's brain damaged, he's a basket case, it's a freak show, he shouldn't tour if he doesn't want to, he's controlled by his wife..." routine. You know, like posts around here. I didn't go see them for myself and really missed out.

I'm getting another chance to now despite this tour being announced as mainly the Wilson/Beck show... my favorite album start to finish at the Greek with tons of people I know around all smiling like loons. With Al in the mix. With Blondie singing Wild Honey and Sail On Sailor. Opening with Their Hearts Were Full of Spring. With Our Prayer/Surf's Up, a buncha hits, and some jazz fusion wheedly wheee thrown in on the side. Pardon the enthusiasm! Sneer at the "worship" and pine for the bald fella all you like, it sounds like a fairly unparalleled evening of entertainment.

(Alright, I'll still say "Gee, I wish David Marks got to sing Little Bird" walking to the parking lot.)

Great call, mr Pertwast. I enjoyed it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #804 on: October 18, 2013, 05:34:48 AM »

What makes me laugh is soon after posting that, I got a rerun of that opinion: " I saw him do the whole Pet Sounds album about 10 years ago and it was pretty embarrassing to be a part of. He was playing a keyboard that wasn't plugged in and kept miming all the lyrics with his hands. I ended up leaving early. Sorry to be a downer, but that was my experience. Hopefully he's gotten better, but I wouldn't take the chance. Stick with the record."

Glad I took the chance the last few years. Still annoyed I listened to this stuff back then and "didn't take the chance." This time, I'm making fun of my friend as he apparently missed a good night at the Beacon.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:53:07 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Gohi
« Reply #805 on: October 18, 2013, 05:45:39 AM »

Originally I was going to see a comedy festival tomorrow and then see the show at the Greek. Unfortunately, once the beck/wilson tour got announced, I figured it wouldn't have anything to offer that I couldn't see at the Milwaukee show (which I also won't be going to).

Damn money.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #806 on: October 18, 2013, 05:46:50 AM »

It's hard to resist seeing Mr. Show!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 18, 2013, 05:47:58 AM »

[...] He was playing a keyboard that wasn't plugged in and kept miming all the lyrics with his hands. I ended up leaving early.
[...]
LOL
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 18, 2013, 05:48:33 AM »

Both band's have spread into deeper cuts since their tours kicked off after the reunion. Mike and Bruce weren't playing things like Wild Honey, Goin to The Beach, and Sail on sailor regularly right away...and Brian wasn't playing things like Add Some Music, Marcella, and Pet Sounds right away...

True, but there's still a difference in the sorts of songs they're excavating.  "Summer Means Fun" and "Goin' To The Beach" versus "Little Bird", "Ol' Man River", and "Don't Talk"?  They're both digging deeper, but still giving very different angles on the catalog...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I agree! But isn't hat what makes each experience pretty wonderful?
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 18, 2013, 06:17:32 AM »

why is nick playing the sing pet sounds when Dave crushed it last year?
I miss the BB, and I do not worship this Beck/Wilson thing.

I think the idea is that it's a showpiece for the backing band -- giving Nick, Nelson, and Paul each a chance to solo.  Dave already has at least one showpiece number ("Little Bird" or "Summertime Blues"), and most of the lead guitar parts.  Note that the report is that at the recent Pet Sounds show, where David didn't get a vocal spotlight, he played the "Pet Sounds" lead...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Sorry, I think that may have been me accidentally misconveying information. It was indeed Nick who was featured on "Pet Sounds" at the Beacon, not Dave, despite the fact that Dave didn't get his vocal spotlight. Dave really got shafted at the Beacon. Hopefully they'll rejigger the setlist for the Greek show to amend that a bit.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #810 on: October 18, 2013, 06:26:34 AM »

First, I should say I think it was really cool that they randomly pulled out “Pet Sounds” at a show, and more than anything else it shows how freaking impressive this band is.

But, call me jaded having seen PS performed a couple of times (in 2000 and again in 2007 with Al), but I have at best mixed feelings about going to a show on this tour and getting the full PS. It’s actually probably a non-issue, as I would doubt Brian is going to be pulling out PS at every show from here on out. But given that Brian is performing around 20 songs in his first set, PS does indeed take up most of the set, and playing the entire album does relegate Al and David to pretty minimal roles at these shows, especially when he also works a couple of Blondie leads into the setlist (which is an awesome thing of course). I still don’t understand why Al’s voice isn’t utilized more at these shows, but when they do PS in full, you get even less Al.

I have to agree with Wirestone; you’d think by reading some of these comments that Brian didn’t not only perform PS previously, but in fact built a lot of the “cred” of his solo tours by performing the album regularly in 2000 and again in 2002 I believe, with short additional tours in late 2006 and early 2007 with Al. Personally, I’ll be more blunt. I don’t think Brian’s voice is better in 2013 than in 2000. In fact, having seen Brian numerous times between 1999 and present, the 2000 PS show I saw was probably the best vocally Brian ever was. He didn’t mime playing the keyboard, he pretty much never touched it. He sang on a stool as if he was singing in a studio. Brian was 58 during the PS tour back in 2000; he’s 71 now. I don’t believe his voice is markedly better. It has held up surprisingly well in terms of consistency in the last 13 years.

I’d probably rather hear the PS album in full than “Shut Down” or “Do It Again”, but at this stage there are other tracks I’d probably prefer to hear for the first time.

I’m sure the move to do PS in full at a few shows is to gather some good press, and just press in general, and it’s a pretty smart move in that regard. It’s Brian’s prestige piece (rightly so!), and main thing casual music fans know outside of the surf/car songs, and other than maybe “Smile”, it’s the only full album Brian (or any of the BB’s) could get away performing in front of some “casual” fans where those fans would come away impressed they heard that particular full album even if they weren’t super familiar with it.

If Brian were doing 40-50 song setlists, then an interlude to do PS would be really cool.

No worries though, if I get a full PS performance at the show I’m going to, I will not complain!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:43:02 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #811 on: October 18, 2013, 06:34:34 AM »

Both band's have spread into deeper cuts since their tours kicked off after the reunion. Mike and Bruce weren't playing things like Wild Honey, Goin to The Beach, and Sail on sailor regularly right away...and Brian wasn't playing things like Add Some Music, Marcella, and Pet Sounds right away...I also think it's worth noting that Mike and Bruce just did several Symphonic shows in the Midwest that have gotten almost no attention, but I bet they sounded even better than Brian's band.

I think actually that Brian’s first post-reunion show in July (not counting the few one-off gigs late last year) included the following songs: “Marcella”, “Break Away”, “Girl Don’t Tell Me”, “Old Man River/Cottonfields”, “Little Bird”, and a few others I would call relatively “deep” cuts, some of which have been regulars of course in his setlist over the years.

The thing is, with Mike's band, you get likely over and HOUR of non-Beach Boys singing the leads. Brian has spread a FEW of the leads to others in his band, but to me that's a big difference. These younger guys in both bands have voices in better shape, no question (apart from perhaps Al). But we're going to these shows to hear various BB's in whatever permutations, and hearing Al sing "Cottonfields" or Brian sing a raritiy or Dave sing "Little Bird", or Blondie do a lead, is more exciting and more substantial than hearing Mike's backing band guys sing a bunch of rarities.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:44:59 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #812 on: October 18, 2013, 06:40:22 AM »

The curmudgeon in question is back with: "Yeah, I viewed some YouTube videos of more recent concerts and it definitely looks better than what I saw. Looks like he's playing a real piano which makes the music sound better and restricts his ridiculous hand gestures. As long as Mike Love isn't involved, you should be okay."

I guess I should break it to him that it's not a real piano that makes the music sound better... I'll even momentarily stick up for the Lovester, C50 was a treat!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:44:12 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 18, 2013, 09:08:07 AM »

Interesting comments about the upcoming Greek show in the new L.A.Weekly:

There's a band using the name The Beach Boys these days, but that Frankensteinian, cobbled-together outfit has almost nothing to do with the classic '60s pop group, apart from the involvement of blue meanie Mike Love, who may have wrested the name from the other members but hasn't figured how to infuse his stand-ins with the giddy "Fun, Fun, Fun" spirit of the originals. There are actually more members of the real Beach Boys -- including David Marks and Al Jardine -- in the touring band of Brian Wilson, the group's true leader and main songwriter. Wilson has another ace up his sleeve now that he's touring with blues-jazz-rock guitarist Jeff Beck, who'll perform separately and with Wilson's band tonight, perhaps previewing some of their reportedly prolific studio collaborations. The pairing with the former Yardbird works better than you might expect, with Beck's sparkly, stellar guitar figures brilliantly lighting up the rigging of such oldies as "Sloop John B." They should have sublime fun, fun, fun tonight, even if Love tries to take their keys away.

— By Falling James

Jason
« Reply #814 on: October 18, 2013, 09:27:40 AM »

Uh, don't blame others for your bad decision. It's your fault you missed out on an awesome set of shows.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 18, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »

Interesting comments about the upcoming Greek show in the new L.A.Weekly:

There's a band using the name The Beach Boys these days, but that Frankensteinian, cobbled-together outfit has almost nothing to do with the classic '60s pop group, apart from the involvement of blue meanie Mike Love, who may have wrested the name from the other members but hasn't figured how to infuse his stand-ins with the giddy "Fun, Fun, Fun" spirit of the originals. There are actually more members of the real Beach Boys -- including David Marks and Al Jardine -- in the touring band of Brian Wilson, the group's true leader and main songwriter. Wilson has another ace up his sleeve now that he's touring with blues-jazz-rock guitarist Jeff Beck, who'll perform separately and with Wilson's band tonight, perhaps previewing some of their reportedly prolific studio collaborations. The pairing with the former Yardbird works better than you might expect, with Beck's sparkly, stellar guitar figures brilliantly lighting up the rigging of such oldies as "Sloop John B." They should have sublime fun, fun, fun tonight, even if Love tries to take their keys away.

— By Falling James

Thanks for posting, Ed -

I find this dead funny, even if one may appreciate the Mike and Bruce revue as well. It makes for good reading.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #816 on: October 18, 2013, 11:25:35 AM »

Uh, don't blame others for your bad decision. It's your fault you missed out on an awesome set of shows.

Yeah, great. Thanks for the assist. Obviously it is, but thanks for getting that out of my excited post and rubbing it in further. Maybe you should toss in a "nyah nyah, you were a real a idiot in your early 20s for listening to your friends." What a burn on me a decade ago before I was as much of a fan! You sure showed him...

Good LA Weekly blurb! Except for the hallucination of Jeff Beck playing Sloop John B.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:38:03 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 18, 2013, 11:30:06 AM »

I saw the "Pet Sounds" show back in the day and Brian did look like a deer caught in the headlights. He always has. His band has a lot to do with making his shows great. They don't get nearly enough credit, IMO, in making the sound so complete and making Brian comfortable enough to be able get past his stage fright.  It's great that people who missed it the first time are getting a second chance, at least in a couple of major cities. Enjoy it.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 18, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »

Brian looks 10 - 15 years older than Al, but this was overall the most relaxed I have seen him.  Seems to me maybe not carrying the vocal load is helpful.  Similarly his vocal tone feels more relaxed -- less strained or "shouty" which isn't to say he didn't have some great singing at previous shows I've seen.  I felt maybe he had less breath behind it as well, for better or worse.  That we are getting good vocal performances from Brian Wilson in 2013 is still the stuff of miracles though.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #819 on: October 18, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/jeff-beck-brian-wilson-have-more-common-long-musical-careers

“It is weird. I had doubts,” the guitarist said last month when the tour that stops at the Palms on Friday was still in rehearsals. “The thing is it’s about music, if people are willing to open up a little bit and not presume Jeff’s gonna shred and all that sort of thing.

“Brian’s music is well-loved pop. It’s beautifully crafted, and it’s very difficult to wedge something in there that doesn’t fit,” he adds of playing his own set, as well as joining forces in a band that gets up to 17 people (including Beach Boy Al Jardine). “I’ve been fortunate enough to play guitar with strong melodies, so there is an affinity there.”

The team-up is also a reminder that the British rock invasion was reciprocal. Beck’s work with the Yardbirds followed the Rolling Stones wave of rockers who fell in love with American blues and sent it back home in a new package.

But on the other side of the pond?

“Everything was better over in the States,” he says. “The music, the hot rod culture …

“When you lived where I lived, and it never stopped raining, and all we heard was ‘California Girls,’ ” Beck says. “It was a massive tug. Whatever you have to do, swim, get a boat, get out there.”
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 18, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »

blue meanie Mike Love

thats funny right there!  LOL

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 18, 2013, 11:32:49 PM »

From the new Rock Cellar Magazine

"Brian Wilson Surprises NYC Concertgoers with ‘Pet Sounds’ Set
With video clips"

The clips, from YouTube, may not present anything new, nor the brief article. Just the same, here's the link.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2013/10/17/brian-wilson-pet-sounds-performance-beacon-theatre-highlights-beach-boys/#sthash.hvXd2s7r.dpbs
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #822 on: October 19, 2013, 01:01:30 AM »

Video interview with Beck:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/10/18/jeff-beck-on-his-new-tour-and-what-its-like-to-jam-with-jimi-hendrix/

Before his show Tuesday night at New York’s Beacon Theatre, Beck paused backstage to talk about his work with Brian Wilson, and his relationships with everyone from Jimi Hendrix to Rod Stewart.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #823 on: October 20, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »

TODAYTODAYTODAYTODAY!

Man, am I excited.

Lot D was the one to go for, right?
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 20, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »

ontor, have a good time!  Will you be sending in reports live from the show?  If not, try to get to it soon as you get home.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx