gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 01:50:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tongal Contests: California Feelin' & Goin' to the Beach  (Read 25556 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2013, 02:36:09 PM »

I did a pretty good job playing along, but I was actually telling the truth about not hearing that particular clip... mine is in better sound Wink

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »

very very nice!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:18:03 PM by Daniel » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »

What grown man decides to go by "Rocky", anyway?

A grown man whose real first name is Rushton? police

If it WAS Brian's vocal instead of Rocky's, we would be crying - crying tears of joy! Shocked
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »

If it WAS Brian's vocal instead of Rocky's, we would be crying - crying tears of joy! Shocked

Not me. For the bit I believed it was legit I was super disappointed.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

I'd just like to say that the first 15 seconds or so of this song now rank in my top 10 favorite Beach Boy moments. Can't wait for the Brian/Piano version.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »

I'd just like to say that the first 15 seconds or so of this song now rank in my top 10 favorite Beach Boy moments. Can't wait for the Brian/Piano version.
A shame they messed up Carl's vocal on it, though. That 2% increase in speed makes his vocal on it just about perfect. I really hate that they sacrifice one person's vocal to save/add another.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »

A shame they messed up Carl's vocal on it, though. That 2% increase in speed makes his vocal on it just about perfect. I really hate that they sacrifice one person's vocal to save/add another.
I agree. I might be wrong in saying this, but I think it's the same way on "It's Over Now". Two great songs now ("California Feelin'" included) that I find hard to listen to because of a slowed Carl Wilson vocal. A voice like his should never be tampered with.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »

I agree. I might be wrong in saying this, but I think it's the same way on "It's Over Now". Two great songs now ("California Feelin'" included) that I find hard to listen to because of a slowed Carl Wilson vocal. A voice like his should never be tampered with.

I also agree. I keep asking myself - and did since "It's Over Now" was ruined - if we can hear it, why can't the people in charge?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »

I can't hear the difference in speed here ! I understand the difference is there, but that original tape on the boot has wonky speed !

PS - tape damage won't cause a consistent speed change ... tape stretch can cause fluctuations, but it would be across the board, not just on one discrete element of the multi-track.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »

I can't hear the difference in speed here ! I understand the difference is there, but that original tape on the boot has wonky speed !

PS - tape damage won't cause a consistent speed change ... tape stretch can cause fluctuations, but it would be across the board, not just on one discrete element of the multi-track.

So weird. Wonder what the heck it is then. The pitch is definitely lower. On Carl's vocal only. I'd love to understand this.

For anyone who missed it, I ran the boot version at the same speed as the new mix (it was already pretty much the same speed, btw). Carl's vocal is clearly out of tune on the new mix - yet runs at the right speed. You can hear the pitch clashing creating a chorus effect. The boot version can't be TOO wonky, because it synchs up perfectly until the edits in the new version start happening.

https://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/calfeel
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »

This is a great mix. I didn’t care much for the '78 booted version before, but i find myself really loving it now. Quite an odd little song. Carl sounds drunk and about to fall over, Brian sounds nice, and Bruce sounds GOLDEN. Really cool, sparse arrangement, lots of space. I really love the drums coming in and out throughout the song and how a "beat" is mostly avoided -- this is precisely what i love about drums on Beach Boys records. No one else really does it like that. Oh, and i don’t see in what universe this could’ve been a hit.

Also, i can’t believe how much Rocky Pamplin sounds like Brian  Huh. By the way, my uncle, in his late 60s now, goes by the name Rocky.

Anyone have a link to the Honeys version that isn’t Spotify?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

By the way, my uncle, in his late 60s now, goes by the name Rocky.

Did he and Daniel ever get back on good terms?

And on a slightly related topic why did that chick have so many different names in the first place?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2013, 06:43:50 PM »

I just listened to CF for the first time...gotta say, I'm not anywhere near as impressed with it as a lot of people. The harmonies are really nice and Bruce sounds good, but I really don't care for Brian on this, and honestly, Carl sounds terrible on this.

It is still better than the Classics version...I don't know that I rate it any higher than Al's Postcard version. Al's voice is really strong on that, the BGVs are solid and the gospel piano is rocking....

Just not overwhelmed with this version.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »

I hate to bring up the "A" word, but there's some obvious digital tuning on Brian's vocal in two spots. I have no idea why doing the same to Carl's vocals would flat the entire thing, but I've heard it happen before and accidentally did so myself a couple times when I was less experienced with the software.

The flat vocal is one of the most subtle examples I've ever heard (but is indeed there) and likely sounded just fine to whoever mixed it. Everyone's ears are slightly different and occasionally what sounds too sharp or too flat to one person will sound just fine to another (and vice versa, too). Still, it's kind of odd.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »

So weird. Wonder what the heck it is then. The pitch is definitely lower. On Carl's vocal only. I'd love to understand this.

For anyone who missed it, I ran the boot version at the same speed as the new mix (it was already pretty much the same speed, btw). Carl's vocal is clearly out of tune on the new mix - yet runs at the right speed. You can hear the pitch clashing creating a chorus effect. The boot version can't be TOO wonky, because it synchs up perfectly until the edits in the new version start happening.

I'm deleting my post because I just listened to the two side-by-side, and you guys are right! -- Carl's vocal specifically is slower on the new version. Bruce's vocal is not ... in fact, on the boot version the vocals almost sound LOWER pitched on Bruce and the others.

I really can't think of a scenario where this could have happened. I mean, unless somehow the multi-track w/ Carl's vocal is a different reel than the one with everything else. Even then, the speed variances in the tapes could have been corrected digitally, since this is an obvious digital mix/edit. If this is an intentional choice, why? to match Brian's vocal? wouldn't it have been better to change Brian's vocal to be slightly higher in pitch?

In the case of 'It's Over Now' on the '93 box, the original track was sped-up slightly when Carl's vocal was recorded (and apparently the tape box was not noted), then it was played back at standard speed, creating the slow vocal.

(and PS, I really love this new version overall -- killer !)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:52:09 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2013, 07:21:35 PM »

(double post)

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »

The Rocky Pamplin version actually used to be one of my favs...but on second hearing...yeah, no  Tongue
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »

I hate to bring up the "A" word, but there's some obvious digital tuning on Brian's vocal in two spots. I have no idea why doing the same to Carl's vocals would flat the entire thing, but I've heard it happen before and accidentally did so myself a couple times when I was less experienced with the software.

The flat vocal is one of the most subtle examples I've ever heard (but is indeed there) and likely sounded just fine to whoever mixed it. Everyone's ears are slightly different and occasionally what sounds too sharp or too flat to one person will sound just fine to another (and vice versa, too). Still, it's kind of odd.

Glad I'm not the only one who hears how flat it is! It's night and day to me.. just listen to the boot version, Carl's pitch is on point. Here's its... flat. Almost a half pitch at times, feels like. Though it's probably closer to a quarter pitch off.

And I agree, sometimes when you're the one at the controls, you miss things like this. It's easy to have an objective ear after someone else put in a ton of work on the project.

On another note.. I didn't catch the autotune! Where at?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »

California Feelin' just cracked my top 50 Beach Boys songs list.....and rising fast.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2013, 07:54:06 PM »

I'm deleting my post because I just listened to the two side-by-side, and you guys are right! -- Carl's vocal specifically is slower on the new version. Bruce's vocal is not ... in fact, on the boot version the vocals almost sound LOWER pitched on Bruce and the others.

I really can't think of a scenario where this should have happened. I mean, unless somehow the multi-track w/ Carl's vocal is a different reel than the one with everything else. Even then, the speed variances in the tapes could have been corrected digitally, since this is an obvious digital mix/edit.

In the case of 'It's Over Now' on the '93 box, the original track was sped-up slightly when Carl's vocal was recorded (and apparently the tape box was not noted), then it was played back at standard speed, creating the slow vocal.

(and PS, I really love this new version overall -- killer !)

Crazy, right?? Mind blower, for sure.

I noted earlier that I heard an example of this on TSS. The "Wonderful" background vocals were in the right pitch, but somehow they were quite a bit slower than the way they are on the master. And yeah, they are the same exact vox!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2013, 08:28:36 PM »

Had me going for the first few seconds.. I haven't been trolled so hard since the first time I was Rick Roll'd.  LOL

I was fooled into thinking it was Brian too, I thought the way he enunciated "hair" at 16 seconds was 15 Big Ones Brian coming out for one more show. I was so convinced  Embarrassed I hate to say it, but I think this is a better vocal than Carl's attempt. Damn you Rocky. Also, I thought the background vocals was a stack of Bruce, not American Spring. Now it's pretty clear it's the latter but I canforgive myself, it does have that "sugary" Bruce quality to it and they're buried under quite a bit of hiss.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34:09 PM »

Geez guys, I only heard the words "I was walkin", and knew the voice didn't belong to any member of the Beach Boys.  Roll Eyes

In regard to what runnersdialzero said about no two people having the same ears, for the life of me I can't hear a problem with Carl's voice on the new CF mix, but to me the way Brian sings "beach" in the opening line is so off key it nearly hurts.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2013, 12:22:24 AM »

Geez guys, I only heard the words "I was walkin", and knew the voice didn't belong to any member of the Beach Boys.  Roll Eyes

In regard to what runnersdialzero said about no two people having the same ears, for the life of me I can't hear a problem with Carl's voice on the new CF mix, but to me the way Brian sings "beach" in the opening line is so off key it nearly hurts.

yeh i couldn't hear a problem either, unless you listen side-by-side to the boot version. It doesn't specifically sound off-key to me, it just sounds kind of 'slow' compared to the peppier speed vocal on the boot version.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »

Actually, upon further listening to it to me Carl's voice on this new mix sounds slightly fast, or higher pitched.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx