gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 08:38:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tongal Contests: California Feelin' & Goin' to the Beach  (Read 25565 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »

the "like most days" bit is pure Brian... he doesn't sound at all disinterested or like he didn't care about cutting a releasable vocal.

just Brian being Brian. quirky, funny, adorable Brian. I'd put it right up there with the intro on "Little Pad", the last lines of "I'd Love Just Once to See You" and "I Wanna Pick You Up", lyrics about enemas or being fat as a cow, and other moments in their music that seem to make some folks cringe. Personally, I can't get enough.

I've never heard the version on the Hallmark CD. Can anyone help me out?

If we're talking about "California Feelin'", that one is on the "Classics Selected by Brian Wilson" CD. Brian's track on the Hallmark CD was "The Spirit of Rock and Roll."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »

oops
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »

It's on teh youtube. It hurts me to say this, but it's definitely my least favorite arrangement of the song among the five versions we now have (soon to be six!). It has its charms though, a few things I wish were in other versions. Brian's vocal is not his best, but still makes me feel good.

I don't want to sound negative, but man, no version really, truly does this one justice. Not that I could do it justice, that was only possible from these guys back in the 70s, but man I'd like to try to cover this one and try to incorporate my favorite elements of all versions. Alas, my skills outside of singing and possibly some drumming ain't especially up to the task.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:53:15 PM by CRIED SO HARD, TEEARDROPS ON MY BED. LET'S GO MOTHER FUCKER » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-QzVCpvJFo

Not bad, pretty much what to expect from your regular Brian Wilson solo recording.

Off-topic but the Classics album was the first Beach Boys album I bought after Pet Sounds.  It seems to be mostly forgotten due to Sounds of Summer coming out just two years later but it's probably the best chronological single disc collection of the Beach Boys music out there.  If you ever want to introduce a friend to the greatness of the Beach Boys, I highly suggest that one.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »

It's on teh youtube. It hurts me to say this, but it's definitely my least favorite arrangement of the song among the five versions we now have (soon to be six!). It has its charms though, a few things I wish were in other versions. Brian's vocal is not his best, but still makes me feel good.

I don't want to sound negative, but man, no version really, truly does this one justice. Not that I could do it justice, that was only possible from these guys back in the 70s, but man I'd like to try to cover this one and try to incorporate my favorite elements of all versions. Alas, my skills outside of singing and possibly some drumming ain't especially up to the task.

So runners, it's went from definitive to least favorite already?? Bummer.  Sad

I gotta say that if "California Feelin'" was to have appeared on L.A. it probably wouldn't have appeared in this form. This version almost kinda feels like a "California Feelin'" megamix. But I do think this is the most interesting 1978 version of the song that they could have made. I like having a relatively clear sounding Brian starting it off, I like having Carl's vocals, and I think Bruce's part is one of his top Beach Boys vocal parts. Probably only behind "God Only Knows" and "California Girls".

Now what would be a perfect version of this song? I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure somebody on the board once wrote that the 1974 version is a "sauntering laze." And I think basically that's what every version of this song is. It's just a mellow, lounge-y meditation on California. So to me, I think that this version is the definitive version, at the very least until I hear the demo version.

And lastly, I accept this as the definitive Beach Boys version, because this is the only version that Brian has sanctioned as a Beach Boys release.

If AGD's word is to be trusted the Brian Wilson vocals are almost certainly post 1974 (i.e. not the infamous demo we've all heard about).  There was a discussion on here about a month ago with AGD (buried no doubt somewhere in the MIC thread) after the tracklist to the boxset was announced.  In this conversation AGD mentioned another different later version of "California Feelin'" which he apparently wasn't too high on and said would never see release.  The reason being is that Brian Wilson wasn't necessarily taking his vocals seriously on this take and made one infamous comment/ad-lib after the line "It was such a beautiful day" making reference to how everyday in California is beautiful.  So it becomes pretty clear now that the Brian Wilson vocals that we are discussing are obviously from that recording if we are to take AGD at his word.

I think AGD is an invaluable part of this board, but it is somewhat annoying that he gets credit for everything. The credit for all the info on Brian doing a vocal on the 1978 version of "California Feelin'" is due to Adam Marsland (aka adamghost) who is a poster on the board here.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 01:44:56 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »

Err, no. He considers the version on Made in California definitive while the version on Classics Selected By Brian Wilson is his least favourite.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »

Err, no. He considers the version on Made in California definitive while the version on Classics Selected By Brian Wilson is his least favourite.

Oh word. Now that I can probably agree with.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »

I'm being told that is a composite and Brian's vocals from 1978 were flown in. There might have been some pitch adjustment to make it sound cohesive a la TSS so that might explain why Carl sounds a bit odd.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »

So runners, it's went from definitive to least favorite already?? Bummer.  Sad

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »

?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »

the "like most days" bit is pure Brian... he doesn't sound at all disinterested or like he didn't care about cutting a releasable vocal.

I love that part!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2013, 04:32:36 PM »

So runners, it's went from definitive to least favorite already?? Bummer.  Sad

What? Your prefer Brian's version from Classics over The Beach Boys version from MIC? What's so astounding?
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »

Ah, so it is the same recording that's been booted in the past, nicely remixed.  I like how the 'brass' synth sound has been mixed in this version, much less prominent.  Brian's vocal sounds like a scratch vocal and I would probably have mixed out his 'like every day' as it so tentative.  A very nice version of the song, nicely mixed compared to the bootleg version.

So what versions are out there now?

1. Brian's early piano demo
2. Rocky Pamplin version
4. Bootleg mix from late 70s
5. New remix of late 70s version
6. Solo Brian Wilson version from Classics.. CD
7. Solo Al Jardine version from Postcard

As I haven't heard the demo recording, I'd say at the moment Al Jardine's version closely followed by the new remix of the late 70s versions are my favourites.  Solo Brian is probably the worst.  Yes, I think Pamplin's version is better than the solo Brian.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:39:49 PM by Camus » Logged
Jason
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »

Well, the 1978 California Feelin' sounds great, and it's always great to hear a long-bootlegged track in full(er) fidelity. I've always liked the tune.

Goin' to the Beach is a summer song. It's not a lost classic, but it's fun. It would sound nice on a car trip.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2013, 06:01:13 PM »

Ah, so it is the same recording that's been booted in the past, nicely remixed.  I like how the 'brass' synth sound has been mixed in this version, much less prominent.  Brian's vocal sounds like a scratch vocal and I would probably have mixed out his 'like every day' as it so tentative.  A very nice version of the song, nicely mixed compared to the bootleg version.

2. Rocky Pamplin version

As I haven't heard the demo recording, I'd say at the moment Al Jardine's version closely followed by the new remix of the late 70s versions are my favourites.  Solo Brian is probably the worst.  Yes, I think Pamplin's version is better than the solo Brian.

You missed Spring's version. That makes eight.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »

2. Rocky Pamplin version

You missed Spring's version. That makes eight.

The Rocky Pamplin version is the Spring version.

However, on that note, The Honeys did a version recently.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »

that guitar contest seems like a cool idea! Wonder who'll be that lucky to enter The BBs history on MIC.

You've seen my "Beach Boys Style" on my Little Bird Cover... hopefully I can write a great solo for this!
Hopefully they see the added potential of picking a younger musician as the winner! Smiley
My goal: take a fun song, and add a little something to make it GREAT! I'm already exploding with ideas!

Nicko1234
« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2013, 07:29:14 PM »

2. Rocky Pamplin version

I agree 100%.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »

2. Rocky Pamplin version

I also really like the Honeys version.
http://open.spotify.com/track/6QQFzyg1lx16H9GoCX0nun

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »

2. Rocky Pamplin version

That's the version I was talking about when I said Spring's version... Incidentally, since when was  Pamplin in Spring?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »

2. Rocky Pamplin version

That's the version I was talking about when I said Spring's version... Incidentally, since when was  Pamplin in Spring?

He was a member in 1977/1978, I'm pretty sure.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2013, 09:18:20 PM »

http://rapidshare.com/files/4021100474/Goin%20To%20the%20beach.mp3
I'm actually gonna enter this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1UNMgENyMUo#at=13
This is where the "solo" comes from.

A discipline daddy.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:09 PM »

Bruce sounds great on this song.

There, I said it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »

There, I said it.

I'm no Bruce fan, but he was the absolute perfect person to pick to sing that part. So nice and mellow.
Gohi
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2013, 11:45:23 PM »

There, I said it.
He really does make the song come together for me.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx