gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:40:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tongal Contests: California Feelin' & Goin' to the Beach  (Read 25507 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2013, 08:12:17 PM »

Here's something funny...I had 'Goin to the Beach' playing on my laptop...my daughter walks in the room and immediately started singing 'Goin Home' off TLOS when she heard it...and it kinda fit LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2013, 08:13:14 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:52:56 PM by zatch » Logged
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »

Also, I was at the piano playing along with the song, and the song itself is slightly flat. That could have something to do with Carl's voice sounding wonky.

A discipline daddy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »

Speed it up by 2% and Carl sounds normal again.

A discipline daddy.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2013, 08:20:51 PM »

Also, I was at the piano playing along with the song, and the song itself is slightly flat. That could have something to do with Carl's voice sounding wonky.

I believe it. But the vocal itself is out of tune with the rest of the track, as I proved in an earlier post. Definitely something funky going on here.

Wasn't there a similar issue with the original California Girls stereo remix? In that case it was because of synch issues between two multi-tracks. Which could be the case here, but I don't know why they would've had to fly in Carl's vocal, unless they did have to synch it for some reason?
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »

I believe it. But the vocal itself is out of tune with the rest of the track, as I proved in an earlier post. Definitely something funky going on here.

Wasn't there a similar issue with the original California Girls stereo remix? In that case it was because of synch issues between two multi-tracks. Which could be the case here, but I don't know why they would've had to fly in Carl's vocal, unless they did have to synch it for some reason?
It could be something they did to differentiate it from the version that's going to be released.

A discipline daddy.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »

It could be something they did to differentiate it from the version that's going to be released.

I like that theory!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2013, 08:30:29 PM »

So do I. This could be a 'rough' mix for the contest.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2013, 08:32:45 PM »

The Adult/Child cuts have the same issue.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »

Here's something funny...I had 'Goin to the Beach' playing on my laptop...my daughter walks in the room and immediately started singing 'Goin Home' off TLOS when she heard it...and it kinda fit LOL

wow, she knows her stuff.

When is she getting an account on here  Cheesy

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »

Hmmm, I've got some stuff going on but maybe I should start thinking about working on a video for this.  I could use the money.  Decisions...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2013, 09:10:07 PM »

Hmmm, I've got some stuff going on but maybe I should start thinking about working on a video for this.  I could use the money.  Decisions...
Yeah, same here. Got some bad news last week and any possible outlet would help.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »

this is '74 Brian all the way

maybe i'll submit a pedal steel solo for grits n shins... it's in the guitar family  Razz

thank you for this thread!!!!!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »

I didn't look at the link, but the last few posts have me slightly confused. Is thisa the California Feeling version from MIC? Or did somebody add some stuff to it as a "fan mix"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:43 PM »

wow, she knows her stuff.

When is she getting an account on here  Cheesy
LOL She's six so may be awhile!

Now that she did it I can't hear it without hearing 'at 25 I turned out the lights...'

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »

Jay-

yes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »

Not sure if this version does justice to the song, it has its shortcomings, but from what we've heard thus far, this is *the* definitive version of the song, for me. I always felt like this one never got the attention it deserved. It absolutely deserved a spot on a hits compilation or something before 2013, it's one of the best things Brian wrote in the 70s and is a career highlight of sorts. Glad we finally have a definitive Beach Boys version.

Brian's vocal is totally 1978. It kind of sounds to be a between point from his Love You voice and his MIU voice more so than a link between the early 70s and Love You.

The "Like most days" addition isn't nearly as comical as I imagined it to be, it's actually a nice touch, but then maybe there IS a comical take on it lying around. Not that that should've been added here, but yeah. What I find curious is how Brian only has a couple lines before Carl comes in and takes over. Is this a composite of a complete Carl vocal and a Brian vocal or was it arranged this way?

I used to think the "California feelin'" part was Mike before I knew better, but later realized it was Bruce. However, hearing it in better quality, it almost sounds like it might be Mike and Bruce in unison with Bruce's voice a little more prominent. Yay? Nay?

Also, hate to say that Carl's vocal being flat wouldn't be due to tape degradation or anything of the sort and most likely would have somehow happened when being mixed recently. seltaeb is saying Carl's vocal is slightly flat compared to the track/music on this mix, he's not saying the entire song is slightly flat compared to old versions as some of you think he's saying (if that helps at all). It wasn't like this on the old booted versions. I can't tell off-hand if it's the same vocal take as on the bootlegged version, I'm not on my own computer and don't have both for reference. I really don't think they'd intentionally make the vocal slightly flat for this version. Strange.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:56:57 PM by CRIED SO HARD, TEEARDROPS ON MY BED. LET'S GO MOTHER FUCKER » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2013, 10:55:03 PM »

This mix of "Goin' To The Beach" strangely has a lot less dynamic range compression on it than the released MP3 (which has to be sourced from the actual box set). Y U DO THAT, CAPITOL RECORDS. "California Feelin'", on the other hand, looks like it's mastered in line with the released MP3 of "Goin' To The Beach", thus leading me to believe it's not a rough mix or anything.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »

Uh...Where is the link to actually listen to the song?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2013, 11:15:06 PM »

Uh...Where is the link to actually listen to the song?

http://tongal.com/project/CaliFeelin

On the left side of the page, you'll see a link "Assets". You have to be signed up and logged in first. It's free.
In the Assets they give you the AIF cd quality version and mp3.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
MBE
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2013, 11:24:40 PM »

Very nice. This is the LA Light version, we just didn't have Brian's lines. 1978 for me. I do hear a difference in the known 1974 vocals (much more natural still) to this personally.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2013, 12:20:07 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:52:47 PM by zatch » Logged
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2013, 01:34:08 AM »

California Feelin'... Wow! What a song!  Listening

Absolutely worth making an account (that you'll probably never use again) just to listen to this song.  Grin
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2013, 02:23:17 AM »

California Feelin' is The Beach Boys at their very best, incredible stuff. Love the synthesizer touches, Bruce Johnston's short and very effective lead vocal, Brian's somewhat shy but very charming vocal delivery (somehow reminds me of the Spring interview tape)... It's all just so very good!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2013, 03:56:59 AM »

Goin' To The Beach reminds me so much of Waves of Love

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx