gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:34:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Judge that mix!  (Read 2082 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:19:17 AM »

I'm trying to keep my next album on the down-low until it's almost done! But I have a newly finished track I need some opinions on! Specifically the mix, I know the song is pretty good!
https://soundcloud.com/mikeleroymusic/helping-hand
Please enjoy! This is gonna be up until I get enough feedback to make it even better!

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »

Nice production.

A few thoughts:

1) The lead vocal should be a bit more compressed and a good amount louder in the mix.

2) The "radio effect" vocal - I'd maybe just keep it hi-fi.

3) I can't hear the kick drum. Compress, add some bottom and raise!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »

I love this.  I'm driving, so I will comment later, but I wanted to say I love it.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:47:26 PM by zatch » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:09:57 PM »

Mike - In my opinion, this is your best song yet.  I've appreciated your talent but your songs hadn't grabbed me until this one.  This is along the lines of what I thought the Beach Boys would sound like in the 70s-80s when I first picked up one of their CDs from that era.  In factI would love to hear the Beach Boy sing this song.  This is one of my favorite songs posted on this board, along with rab's "Wild Blue".  I like the instrumentation, the arrangement, and of course the melody.  I know you weren't looking for comments about the song, but I wanted to say something anyway.

Regarding the mix, I'm not the best person to comment, but I agree that your vocals should be louder, especially in the last section, and that the bass drum needs to be louder as well.  Also, I feel a bit like I am getting lost in the echo on the last section.  I think the guitar solo is loud enough - if you decide to turn it up I would only do so a little bit.

A couple of comments regarding the words:

1. I like that the song title sums up the lyrics yet it does not appear in the actual song.  At the same time I think it deserves are more compelling title.
2. When you typed out the lyrics for the song you had the last line as "Hoping that you will fall in love someday..."  As I read that line before hearing it I thought it was pretty cool that you did not specify with whom you hoped the subject would fall in love.  Presumably it would be you, but it left the door open for a more selfless interpretation.  Maybe the subject, for all of her helpfulness, is herself in need of help, help falling in love.  Or maybe the specification is understood to be you without being directly stated.  Either way, I liked it.  However, when you sing the line you add in the "with me" *and* it sounds rushed.  So for what it's worth, I like the line better without the inclusion of "with me" and it might help to make it sound less rushed.

Finally, my only really negative comment is that I am not into something about the tone of the lead vocal.  I love your phrasing, timing, etc...its just as it should be.  But something about the actual vocal, the tone, if that is the correct word, seems off a bit - I do not mean that you are not hitting the notes and I am not having the same issue with the background vocals.

Great song Mike.  I've listened to it probably 7-8 times, which I rarely do.  Please post the final version, or at least a link to it, when it is complete.

mps

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »

Wow thanks guys!!

Mps, thanks a ton, I'm really glad you love it! Ill be sure to take all that advice, I want this song to be perfect!!
Ill be sure to share the album when it's finished! That may be a while however, but stay tuned for updates! Smiley

Thanks!!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:26 PM »

Hey guys, update time: I'm thinking of naming it "It's You" is that a more exciting title? I think the overall feeling like that, a statement, works well!
I mean, who? and for what cause? The song never really explains who it is! Plus, it isn't a love interest, because the singer never specifies that he
is looking for a relationship with this person!

Also, I fixed up the bass drum big time, it sounds FANTASTIC. I re-recorded the bridge and you guys were spot on, with the lyric and sound!

A little bit louder vocal with a little more compression, and I think this one is a home run! Smiley

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »

Sorry for bumping this over and over, but I didn't want to make a new thread to announce this:

Not only will I have a new album coming sometimes later this year, but it will be released with a DOCUMENTARY of its conception and creation! Of course, parts will be available for free, but you can expect about 2 hours or so of studio session work, writing, and personal updates concerning the album from start to finish! It may sound tacky, but just think, one guys creative process captured entirely on film! That's gonna be pretty cool!

So if you like this track, I promise I'll keep this standard AT LEAST!!
I'm currently working out a track that sounds a bit like "You're still a mystery"!!

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 03:26:33 PM »

When can we expect the new mix?  I need to hear it before I can decide on the new title.  ; )

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 03:35:23 PM »

I'll upload one this weekend! The feedback really helps, plus you really seem to like it! Smiley So i'll deliver!!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »

Here you are! Sorry for the delay, serious personal issues lately haha..

Still not final, but close!!
http://m.soundcloud.com/mikeleroymusic/its-you

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx