gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When were the Beach Boys at their best in concert?  (Read 17550 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2014, 08:54:55 AM »

Without question, early to mid 70"s, with Blondie and Ricky in the band. The live CD from 72 documents just how great a rocking band they were. Some of the greatest concerts I have ever seen. They were great on the 50TH tour as well, but had a lot of support from Fosket, and Brian's band. 70's still had the great Carl Wilson, and Dennis too, though he wasn't as dominant during this time.

Yup, early 70's hands down, the pace and strength of the songs was a lot better.  This whole "Live in concert, make it sound exactly like the Studio" thing, I'm not really a big fan of.  I guess it depends on the audience, but I think it's a better experience when the band is capable of doing a more agressive version of the music live.  The live versions of Heroes and Villians with the drums going apeshit at the end are pretty awesome, I"d have a cardiac if I heard that in concert. 

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2014, 09:54:21 AM »

Setlist.fm is great for finding out what they would normally play in each stage of their career. Of course, with 5000+ shows reported, not all of them are going to have setlists. Cool nonetheless.

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/the-beach-boys-3d6c17b.html

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »

1971-1974.  In Concert isn't just their best live album by far, it is one of the best live albums I've ever heard.

Hear, hear!

Add me to that.

As a diehard fan I would want even more deep cuts, but this album is truly a masterpiece in live performance, the arrangements, tasteful overdubs, song selection.
Live at Nassau Coliseum 1973 should also see release (Paul Simon and Elton John join them for the encores)

My only complaints of 'In Concert':

- No Surf's Up
- No God Only Knows
- No Dennis Wilson lead vocal
- Includes Leaving This Town (although I guess it's to give Blondie another lead and added to help keep him in the band, which obviously failed...)

Positives:

- Great song selection spanning several albums
- Not too heavy on oldies
- No Barbara Ann
- Plenty of strong leads by Al
- Pet Sounds era songs!

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »

Surfin' Safari performance on Dead Man's Challenge. That and the Queen Mary in '81. And don't forget Sea World.

Dead Man's Challange!  *snort*  awesome.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »

To chip in. I would like to make an educated guess. I am saying this knowing I haven't heard near all the shows, and knowing from 1961 to late 1963 there exists a mere six songs.  I put the years best to worst descending from top to bottom.
1971 (Perfect blend of everything and everyone at a peak)
1972 (Great set, only below 1971 as not much from 1969-70 is included.)
1970 (Maybe not as long as the shows to follow, but the sets are pretty interesting. The concerts with Brian would likely rank among his best ones)
1969 (Now they are taking time to showcase album cuts and their sound is amazing)
1973 (A pretty hot year only marred by the oldies creeping back too strongly.)
1968 (The sets are getting cooler and Desper is on board fully)
1964 (Sure it's rougher than later, but Brian makes this year a treat. They also have begun to get an edge on stage, a real good sense of professionalism.)
1974 (The oldies have begun their dominance, but they were played so well at this point. Their also was a decent amount of progressive moments, even if the ideals have shifted.)
1967-Now they seem to be attempting some more interesting things. Adding a backing band was cool, and I like the loose Hawaii shows.
1975 (Beachago was great, they were still tight but at the end of the year oldies have begun to unfairly dominate a shockingly short set.  While Dennis' declining voice made a slight difference in some of the harmonies, he was still a vibrant performer.)
1966 (The sets took a while to catch up with the albums, but still at a real peak)
1965 (Probably a lot like 1964 but not often with Brian)
1963 (Would be interesting to hear the Dave/Al or Brian/Dave shows. The little bit that does survive show a cool band, but one that still has room to grow)
1976 (Still together enough to pull together some tight sets. The nostalgia is out in full force now, but musically these are really good. Brian does add an unstable factor to the group due to his decline.)
1962 (Undoubtedly not too polished yet, but that may be where the charm would lie)
1961 (Probably interesting but very green)
2012 (Actually among the best shows ever, I still would have to chose a pre 1977 vintage one above them)
1977 (The first year that got wildly uneven. Good band and sets marred by chemicals at times.)
1979 (Good solid sets for the time-a bit too polished without Dennis, and sometimes off the rails with him. Brian was not great.)
1978 (Still some good sets-but the Wilsons are very off)
1980 (The last more or less credible year with Carl, but still far past their peak. Arrangements still good, sets getting very route)
1993 (The box set tour shows what could have been had they not surrendered their integrity. Even the regular shows have some merit though one must consider how bad certain early nineties trappings were.)
1982 (More fresh than 1981-but still not up to previous standards)
1983 (Pretty oldie moldy, but last glimpse of original band makes it important)
1988 (Good set picks up the quality)
1981 (Very bad, but much more interesting than many to follow)
1985 (A few new songs included make it a touch better than the mid eighties average)
1984 (the first really completely uninteresting year"
1986 (Very mediocre)
1987 (Pretty sad)
1990 (A few surprises lifts this up a touch, but still from an awful period)
1989 (A very boring era)
1991 (all the life is gone)
1992 (Very routine)
1995 (dull)
1996 (Brian is at some, but nothing much going on)
1997 (Carl being ill makes these kind of hard)
1994 (huge fall off from the box set tour)
Just got to reading this thread today and Mike, you did a fabulous job with your summary. I agree with everything except 1989. It was anything but boring. Saw them with Chicago in June  at a racetrack near Lincoln, NE and they were perfect that evening. I have a pretty good fix on the live shows as I began seeing them in 1968 until the end. 107 shows in 15 states. Several "vacations to go see the Beach Boys" went down. Anyway, 1971 through 1976 was surely their strongest years on stage. And there was nothing wrong with the last show I saw Dennis, in Summer 1983.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:00:26 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »

I'm partial to 76, for some reason.... Having Brian there (no matter how little he contributed live) and Dennis on drums just seemed to make them all that much less reliant on backing guys, and Dennis was really great on the drums in that era. It seemed like 76 - 81 he must have practiced more or something.... Drunken, sloppy nights aside....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:12:47 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2014, 01:35:13 AM »

1971 through 1976 was surely their strongest years on stage.

To such a degree that Rolling Stone named them "Band of the Year" in 1974! w00t!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:36:19 AM by Beach Head » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2014, 02:33:07 AM »

The reviews on that 1993 tour included in Ian and Jon's book show they even did more songs than is circulating.

I know this comment was from ages ago but was this shown to be untrue?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2014, 02:54:23 AM »

I love the early 70's concert stuff.... however one of my least favourite albums is the 'Concert 73' album.....

I think its because 'imho', they destroyed 'don't worry baby'....

and I do believe it could have been mixed a LOT better....... some nice songs on there otherwise, especially the newer songs of the time...

would be nice to have it remixed in and presented in a deluxe format....

after that..........

1964!  no doubt! with Brian rockin out on the Fender Precision.....and That Falsetto!!!

RickB

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2014, 06:56:55 PM »

1971 thru 1975 for me. besides ricky and blondie, Guercio could play the hell out of the bass.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »

I saw the Beach Boys in '89, Mike and Bruce in 2001 and the C50 show on Brian's 70th birthday. I've also heard the live material from various era. My answer is that I felt it was a privilege to be at the C50 (it was a freebie, to boot), and I knew it would be great with Brian's band and Dave's superb surf guitar.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »

Did anyone out there take pictures of the concerts back in the 60's or 70's?
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »

I think the early 70's were the touring peak, I love the In concert album.

Though I am very partial to the live at Knebworth release on DVD. Seeing them all on stage together was fantastic. And I love ,You are so beautiful and Lady Lynda from that release.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »

Definitely the early-70's. Their very few years with Blondie and Ricky were also their very best live!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EliPrKCF_mU

I thought this was a fairly good representation of the guys in 94'

sounding good, and Carl Wilson's solo's!!   waaaoooowwwww!!!!!

stupid filming though of those cheerleader girls....... waste of a good guitar solo in stuff like '409'..... 'I get around' etc etc

they seem to be having sound issues with some of the looks and directions from the master Carl....

so what reason was this filmed??.... tv or video???

RickB

RickB
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EliPrKCF_mU

I thought this was a fairly good representation of the guys in 94'

sounding good, and Carl Wilson's solo's!!   waaaoooowwwww!!!!!

stupid filming though of those cheerleader girls....... waste of a good guitar solo in stuff like '409'..... 'I get around' etc etc

they seem to be having sound issues with some of the looks and directions from the master Carl....

so what reason was this filmed??.... tv or video???

RickB

RickB

good sound actually

the drumming is shite unfortunately. and dont even get me started on the bikini bimbos they brought onstage....
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »

yeah the sound is ok....... but most of the faults here fall on the recording/video, and not the performance.....

performance wise it is Great!..... bad mixing and editing make them sound lesser good than they should....

if it were recorded to multitrack..... then you would have something really wonderful to work with.

RickB
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »

That's an incredible version of "Hushabye" featuring Matt Jardine on the high part!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2014, 11:22:07 PM »

I love the early 70's concert stuff.... however one of my least favourite albums is the 'Concert 73' album.....

I think its because 'imho', they destroyed 'don't worry baby'....

and I do believe it could have been mixed a LOT better....... some nice songs on there otherwise,a especially the newer songs of the time...

would be nice to have it remixed in and presented in a deluxe format....

after that..........

If you were a concert-goer, and I'm assuming you weren't at the time, Don't Worry Baby was sung, produced and released as one of the best recordings of that song live. Sorry you missed it, so don't dis it.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »

\many
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2014, 05:31:39 AM »

\many
Could you possibly give us some look at them? It's interesting to see the real experience of people attendees of the old concerts.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2014, 06:56:29 AM »

Not trying to make a sale but just pointing out that the book Jon and I did on the concerts has a large number of photos and many were taken by fans
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2014, 07:01:16 AM »

Not trying to make a sale but just pointing out that the book Jon and I did on the concerts has a large number of photos and many were taken by fans
Sadly, I don't have it, must've been really cool to own it those you who have this treasure trove of a book.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »

Last year I got it for my birthday, and it was one of the first books I had to read with glasses on. After 4 hours I had to quit reading because my eyes hurt really bad! Damn you, Jon Stebbins and Ian Rusten, couldn't you have made the book dull so I could quit before my eyes hurt???

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »

I gave myself a terrible neckache reading it in at a desk in the library I borrowed it from because I didn't want to wait until I got home to start reading.

Curse your excellent book Ian and Jon!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx