gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:15:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When were the Beach Boys at their best in concert?  (Read 17562 times)
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 09:46:04 AM »

Generally, 1966-1975.  I start with '66 because I think the Michigan shows were a step up from anything done live before that period.  I'm only going by what's been booted, as my first time seeing the band was '73.  I end with '75 because the Beachago tour from that year was quite good, imo.  Especially the encores with both bands playing together.

Specifically, 1972-1973.  The Blondie / Ricky years were the best for live shows.  I've seen the band live 9 times between 1973 - 1989 & the first concert was the best.  Here's my breakdown (as if anyone cares):

12/16/73 grade = A (Blondie & Ricky both in the band)
8/23/74 grade = B+ (Ricky but no Blondie)
11/21/74 grade = B (Billy sings "I'm Waiting for the Day")
6/14/75 grade = B+ (first Beachago tour)
8/28/75 grade = C+ (nothing special here)
11/25/76 grade = B- (Brian's back)
9/4/83 grade = C (Mike sings "Imagine")
6/1/84 grade = C+ (Carl sings "Heaven")
6/23/89 grade = B- (2nd Beachago tour)

A nod to the '93 unplugged show & last year's tour (going by recordings I've heard).  Also a nod to BW Pet Sounds Tour (A-) & Smile tour (from hearing recordings).
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »

1964, 1972-1974, 2012
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 09:54:19 AM »

Great summary Eric, much appreciated, quite incisive.
Thanks! That said, my ranking of the released live albums is somewhat different than my ranking of the touring eras:

1. In concert
2. Live in London
3. Concert
4. Live - 50th anniversary tour
5. Live at Knebworth

But I love them all!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »

The fans who really know the best concert eras are the fans who were there. People who went to the concerts post 1967 – 70 (Live In London album) may think those years were the best. Fans who were there for concerts in the early 70’s (BB In Concert album) might think those were the best. Many who were there for the post 1974 through 1980 (Endless Summer and Knebworth albums) may think those were the best.

I was there for the early 70’s through the mid-90’s Beach Boys concerts.  I’ll say the best years for concerts, not only vocally but musicianship wise, were the early to mid 1970’s years (1971 to 1976). I had to include the 1975 Beachago and 1976 (Brian’s Back) tours. In addition to Carl, Al, Blondie, and Ricky, they had great sidemen in Dragon, Hinsche, Carter, Munoz, Figueroa, Peeler, and Guercio in the early 70’s that gave them a stellar, full band sound. And they were doing really good artsy-fartsy material back then. Dennis was standing up front with his head cocked and a finger in his ear, causing the women in the audience to get their panties moist. Mike Love did his Mick Jaggar imitation, strutting like a rooster across the stage. The guitar players were cookin' with gas and the rythym section boogied like there was no tomorrow. Vocally, they were on the money.

Just a great, great time to be a fan back then.  Great times.  Ya had to be there.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:51:17 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »

glad i was...  Grin

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »

Damn, you're old, Steve.  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »

yep...but on the right side of the ground..... Grin

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »

What's that saying about the 60's and I think the 70's may also apply:  "If you remember it then you weren't there."

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »

Great summary, couldn't agree more. The comment on the 93 unplugged tour made me curious to check the setlist back then and found something interesting:
http://www.bigozine2.com/cdcvrs/images91/BBparamount/BBparamount.pdf

It looks as interesting as any of the C50 setlists - if not more! Wonderful, You still believe in me, Vegatables... Shocked

Anyone has videos/audios of these concerts?

That Paramount show from above link and the rehearsals of that gig circulates on the web. And a recording of the Valley Forge (PA) concert from Nov. 21st also exists. Try Google a bit and you might find them. (No open requests on this board please)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »

What's that saying about the 60's and I think the 70's may also apply:  "If you remember it then you weren't there."

that''s what my recorder was for.....  Grin

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »

I first saw the group in Glasgow in 1991.  I had some bootlegs from the preceding years and was unsure how good they would sound (Mike was very nasal for example).  However they were amazing and professional, very polished.  I saw them next in 1993 in the summer right before the 'unplugged' sets were being introduced and again they were in good voice.  That was the tour of the UK were they recorded the live version of SIP. The good thing about those shows were that they were all (except Mike) playing their instruments for the whole show.  And also sounding like The Beach Boys.  You only have to listen to the Paramount '93 rehearsal to hear the difference between then and last year's C50.  Carl was sorely missed in the vocal stack.  

As far as hearing recordings I think my preferences would be close to Eric's.  In Concert is a magical album, especially the guitars on Marcella, and some of the bass playing across the album.  When it got re-issued in '91 I remember it being in the top 5 of some magazine's all time list of live albums.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »

I'm tempted to say 72 - 77 but really nothing beats pre-breakdown Brian rockin' on the bass, so I'll go with 64
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »

1971-1974.  In Concert isn't just their best live album by far, it is one of the best live albums I've ever heard.

Hear, hear!

In the future they could release something focusing on the Beach Boys as a live act with 1971-75 as the focal point. Damn they were good. No wonder they were considered the best live act back then.

By whom? I would've thought the general public preferred the Rolling Stones then?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »

1971-1974.  In Concert isn't just their best live album by far, it is one of the best live albums I've ever heard.

Hear, hear!

In the future they could release something focusing on the Beach Boys as a live act with 1971-75 as the focal point. Damn they were good. No wonder they were considered the best live act back then.

By whom? I would've thought the general public preferred the Rolling Stones then?
The Stones 69 - 73 would have to be considered, and the Who late 60s/early 70s.  Both of those bands lost their mojo after that in my opinion, leaving the Beach Boys to rule into the mid-70s.  Then I suppose Springsteen, but whatever.

Anyhoo, I saw the Blondie/Ricky line-up 3 times (the last time minus Blondie unfortunately) and they are the best live Rock and Roll shows I ever saw.  Several of Brian's solo shows have been equal, particularly the first tour and Smile, in terms of enjoyment and impact.  But in terms of getting crazy with several thousand strangers in a big barn under the influence...of the music...Beach Boys 1972 - 74 for me.

Did not see Beachago unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:52:23 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »

Getting crazy with several thousand strangers in a big barn under the influence.....of the music.....

Thanks for clarifying.  Grin

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »

Getting crazy with several thousand strangers in a big barn under the influence.....of the music.....

Thanks for clarifying.  Grin

I figured you would appreciate that Mikie!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »

COMMENT:  I just wanted to chime in here with a few observations. First, I must be one of the luckiest Beach Boy fans of the 60’s and 70's around. My perspective is quite different and unique as house and monitor mixer, so treasured even more. Between 1968 through 1972, I must have mixed close to a thousand shows with all five touring Beach Boys on stage; if you include Brian, then several hundred shows with all six Boys on stage performing. At one time or another they performed almost every song they have recorded. The thrill for me was mixing live performances of songs that we, just months earlier, were recording in the studio. All this, concert and studio, coming about on equipment of my design, another personal thrill. To see how the boys transformed a complex production into music performed live was genius (re-)arranging.

Second, my entire concert perspective is “back stage.” That is, looking back at the audience reaction, in contrast to the ticket holder looking forward to the stage. I think the mixer is kind of an interface between the artist and the audience, responsible not only for delivering the music to the masses, but motivating their spirit through balance manipulation, especially how much kick or snare or BGs will get a crowd to their feet or dancing in the aisles. When this happens it is reflected back to the stage and communication between the performers and the audience jells into one connection. Some of the previous comments seem to be reflecting on how the writer was whitness to such a connection.

Third and personally, that is for me, the shows we put on in smaller English theaters were always the best. Closeness of the audience, excellent acoustics of those small venues always gave the best sound, and the politeness of the audience too -- appreciation expressed without hesitation in England. You can hear some of that energy from the EMI Live in London album. EMI took feeds off the mixing console to their tape machines for that album (I got no credit). These were concerts where everyone had solos, even Dennis would come to stage-front and sing his songs. Many a cappella arrangements of songs were performed. Denny’s drums were always too loud. Bruce never wore long pants. Carl’s palms were black with song-lists he would write the list with a sharpie, then change, cross it out and change again. Mike and Bruce did most of the talking with Michael the most animated. If Brian was on stage he --- he can really hit those high notes (with feeling). Everyone was in the prime-of-life back then, around 20-30 years old; lots of energy and push. One to two hour sets were not uncommon. One tour used two stage crews to give two shows per day – IN DIFFERENT CITIES! ). Looking back, I can’t believe some of the things we did to put on a good show. I mean, overcoming obstacles at every turn. Big sound systems were unheard of then, so we were completely self-contained in the sound department, the only thing we needed to give a concert were three 20-amp feeds, two for the PA and one for the stage, and some stage lights. Whether large or small crowds were to be entertained; the guys gave it their all every night. What marvelous times!
 ~swd
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:24:38 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
MBE
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2013, 11:18:10 PM »

Great post Stephen. I just want to say I watched the footage of the Beach Boys in Paris in 1969 and you did a brilliant job getting those effects on stage. The intro to "Do It Again" for example was perfect. If you haven't seen this footage email me and I can send you a copy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2013, 12:01:52 AM »

Great summary, couldn't agree more. The comment on the 93 unplugged tour made me curious to check the setlist back then and found something interesting:

It looks as interesting as any of the C50 setlists - if not more! Wonderful, You still believe in me, Vegatables... Shocked

The set pops up occasionally…

This latest version doesn't have the rehearsal unfortunately…
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 12:07:49 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2013, 12:14:17 AM »

To chip in. I would like to make an educated guess. I am saying this knowing I haven't heard near all the shows, and knowing from 1961 to late 1963 there exists a mere six songs.  I put the years best to worst descending from top to bottom.
1971 (Perfect blend of everything and everyone at a peak)
1972 (Great set, only below 1971 as not much from 1969-70 is included.)
1970 (Maybe not as long as the shows to follow, but the sets are pretty interesting. The concerts with Brian would likely rank among his best ones)
1969 (Now they are taking time to showcase album cuts and their sound is amazing)
1973 (A pretty hot year only marred by the oldies creeping back too strongly.)
1968 (The sets are getting cooler and Desper is on board fully)
1964 (Sure it's rougher than later, but Brian makes this year a treat. They also have begun to get an edge on stage, a real good sense of professionalism.)
1974 (The oldies have begun their dominance, but they were played so well at this point. Their also was a decent amount of progressive moments, even if the ideals have shifted.)
1967-Now they seem to be attempting some more interesting things. Adding a backing band was cool, and I like the loose Hawaii shows.
1975 (Beachago was great, they were still tight but at the end of the year oldies have begun to unfairly dominate a shockingly short set.  While Dennis' declining voice made a slight difference in some of the harmonies, he was still a vibrant performer.)
1966 (The sets took a while to catch up with the albums, but still at a real peak)
1965 (Probably a lot like 1964 but not often with Brian)
1963 (Would be interesting to hear the Dave/Al or Brian/Dave shows. The little bit that does survive show a cool band, but one that still has room to grow)
1976 (Still together enough to pull together some tight sets. The nostalgia is out in full force now, but musically these are really good. Brian does add an unstable factor to the group due to his decline.)
1962 (Undoubtedly not too polished yet, but that may be where the charm would lie)
1961 (Probably interesting but very green)
2012 (Actually among the best shows ever, I still would have to chose a pre 1977 vintage one above them)
1977 (The first year that got wildly uneven. Good band and sets marred by chemicals at times.)
1979 (Good solid sets for the time-a bit too polished without Dennis, and sometimes off the rails with him. Brian was not great.)
1978 (Still some good sets-but the Wilsons are very off)
1980 (The last more or less credible year with Carl, but still far past their peak. Arrangements still good, sets getting very route)
1993 (The box set tour shows what could have been had they not surrendered their integrity. Even the regular shows have some merit though one must consider how bad certain early nineties trappings were.)
1982 (More fresh than 1981-but still not up to previous standards)
1983 (Pretty oldie moldy, but last glimpse of original band makes it important)
1988 (Good set picks up the quality)
1981 (Very bad, but much more interesting than many to follow)
1985 (A few new songs included make it a touch better than the mid eighties average)
1984 (the first really completely uninteresting year"
1986 (Very mediocre)
1987 (Pretty sad)
1990 (A few surprises lifts this up a touch, but still from an awful period)
1989 (A very boring era)
1991 (all the life is gone)
1992 (Very routine)
1995 (dull)
1996 (Brian is at some, but nothing much going on)
1997 (Carl being ill makes these kind of hard)
1994 (huge fall off from the box set tour)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:30:17 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2013, 12:18:48 AM »

The Adrian Baker years
If there was a smiley for over the knees spanking, I'd use it.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »

That Paramount show from above link and the rehearsals of that gig circulates on the web. And a recording of the Valley Forge (PA) concert from Nov. 21st also exists. Try Google a bit and you might find them. (No open requests on this board please)

Ok thanks

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
MBE
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »

The reviews on that 1993 tour included in Ian and Jon's book show they even did more songs than is circulating.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »

The reviews on that 1993 tour included in Ian and Jon's book show they even did more songs than is circulating.

Interesting....

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »

1971-1974

The Carl/Dennis-led period. Blondie and Ricky added so much fresh energy. Incredible setlists with lots of 'deep cuts'. They rocked. The most adventurous years for them as a live band.

This.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx