gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:02:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Funniest/oddest Beach Boy moments in the studio  (Read 9085 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »

So Runners new screen name (referring to Drip Drop) made me think...what are some other "great" moments regarding to the band's recording sessions. Right now I can think of these:
-Brian telling Al how to sing in "I Know there's an Answer" (BUT WHAT CANN YOU TELLLL THEM)
-Murray at the Rhonda session ("I'm a Genius too you know")
-Rollin' Up to Heaven (The whole thing)

Anyone else got anymore?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »

Brian asking, "Can you feel the acid yet?"

Brian asking Dennis for hash joints.

"Dance, Dance, Dance" tracking session with Glen Campbell. After Glen makes a few mistakes he says, "Damn it to Hell!" Another musician at the session says, "Brian, should we call Jerry Cole?"  Glen says, "What do you want to call him?"

The entire "Dance, Dance, Dance" vocal session(s).

The Salt Lake City tracking session with Carol Kaye.

Nick Venet telling David he looks like Jesus with the beard.

Chuck Britz asking if Dennis was yelling "Go!" too loud at the intro to Little Honda and Dennis doing it again anyway.

David Wright booting two ground balls and going 0 for 4 at the plate.

.......to name just a few.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:04:59 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »

David Wright booting two ground balls and going 0 for4 at the plate.

.......to name just a few.

Oh. I guffawed sir at your attempt to insult my team   LOL
MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »

Brian telling the group to smile during a smiley session is fun, his breaking up during the tracking that day is funny too.
The smog rant
The Chipmunk song.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »

On a side note, personally I think those comments were deliberate put-ons by Brian. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »

On a side note, personally I think those comments were deliberate put-ons by Brian. Smiley
Did you listen to how The Boys were talking during that session? They were ripped to shreds.

A discipline daddy.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

"Dance, Dance, Dance" tracking session with Glen Campbell. After Glen makes a few mistakes he says, "Damn it to Hell!" Another musician at the session says, "Brian, should we call Jerry Cole?"  Glen says, "What do you want to call him?"

Yeah I just listened to that, it was Take 6, pretty funny.

I recall a Smile tracking session (UM17) where Brian says the name of the song is "The Old Master Painter" and there is a muffled response
then Carol asks what did he say and next everybody is laughing out loud -- I think I know the gist of the joke, anybody know who made it?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 04:04:17 PM »

The Brian farts into the mic/piano Smile outtake
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:06:02 PM by joshferrell » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 04:12:55 PM »

I don't think so.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »

Question: "Hey Chuck is it possible we could bring a horse in here if we don't screw anything up?"

Reply: "I beg your pardon?"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 07:18:46 PM »

Brian's airplane sounds on Sail Plane Song.
TWO WORDS: MY SOLUTION
When we FINALLY found out what that noise was on Wake The World (first thought to be a music stand…then we found out it was Brian using the window shades for a sound effect.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 07:41:09 PM »

Al's response to Brian's question was "I feel great." He seemed to be feeling it  Brian's Trip

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »

Al's response to Brian's question was "I feel great." He seemed to be feeling it  Brian's Trip

A man waiting for a bus on LSD?

And then there was "the most incredible guy I ever met in my life...Dick Rising...."

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »

And then there was "the most incredible guy I ever met in my life...Dick Rising...."

Turns out Dick Rising is an actual, poorly named person.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »

How about Brian asking the guys if they sounded like a fake version of the Bee Gee's during the Goin' On session?  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »

i do like cassius 'Love' vrs sonny 'Wilson'......... kind of ironic that they share a similar feud in real life...

this probably falls into another category, in the imagination video, Brian is laying down all parts to 'cal girls'....

I think its joe Thomas who says 'brian, you sound just like the beach boys'......brian says 'I know'....... So Brian!

Rick Bartlett

zachrwolfe
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 09:29:15 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:53:29 PM by zatch » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »

Without checking, I'm pretty sure that was Carl - not Al.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 09:49:46 PM »

Actually, Dick Rising, according to all who knew him at Capitol Records and in his personal life, was very well liked. He was murdered in his own apartment in Hollywood by a couple of low-life punks in 1974. He worked at MGM and Capitol for 23 years as an A&R and promotions man, and had a wife and two daughters.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 11:03:11 PM »

Al's response to Brian's question was "I feel great." He seemed to be feeling it  Brian's Trip

Without checking, I'm pretty sure that was Carl - not Al.

Cavanagh (1993, p. 55) includes a transcript of the Prayer session, citing Al as the person responding to Brian's question.

Cavanagh, D. (1993).  The smile file. Glebe: PTP Productions.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:04:06 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 11:12:13 PM »

I don't think so.

I think we're very lucky that stuff wasn't cut out. I guess since it's from Smile Mike can now justify it as an 'acid album' and say "see? what did I tell ya!"
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 10:45:51 AM »

"Syncopate? In front of all these people?"- Al Jardine

"Hey, would you take off that hat? You look like George Washington" I think that was Brian

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »

Actually, Dick Rising, according to all who knew him at Capitol Records and in his personal life, was very well liked. He was murdered in his own apartment in Hollywood by a couple of low-life punks in 1974. He worked at MGM and Capitol for 23 years as an A&R and promotions man, and had a wife and two daughters.

After all these years I never knew that.  It seemed so much in the line of their "Hawthorne" humor.

Okay -- the line in "Drive-in", "Remember only you can prevent forest fires."  As I recall back in the day Smokey the Bear's tag line was invoked to imply that guys should use "rubbers" or bear  the consequences.  So to speak.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 11:12:03 AM »

I like Brian's line at the I Wanna Be Around session on the box set. The band is playing some jazz music and at the end, Brian jokingly says, "All right, you got that out of your systems now?" and everyone laughs.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »

Can't Stop Talking About American Girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yC6xwlyMzY

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx