gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:02:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being a Beach Boy fan pre-internet  (Read 11516 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »

Okay. The First issue is up in Media. As i note there, there are some quality issues, so let me know if these are good enough/what you think. 
Good/bad of the first:  Mikie and I were recently talking about Don Spears who has an article on the last page. Sad story there( not on the page)

>>  Don, if you're out there somewhere, I hope things are great for you...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2013, 10:29:16 PM »

couldn't find it…

In Music,
David
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2013, 01:12:05 PM »

Volume 1 Number 2 is up ( The Beach Boys Love You )

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »

Someone mentioned hanging out in the record store... I remember going in the store nearest me (Main Street Records, long gone) when Ricci Martin's Beached album was due out. Now, that was a very obscure album to be looking for, so as I'm looking around, the owner (and only one in the store) asks if he can help me.  I told him I was looking for the Ricci Martin album, expecting a puzzled look. Instead, the guy's eyes lit up and he knew all about the album. Turns out he was a huge Beach Boys fan,  and we became fast friends. I spent many hours at the store, talking with Bill. Over the years I gradually lost touch, having a family of my own by then. I found out a couple of years ago that Bill had passed away. I think back on those days every now and then and it brings back lots of good memories..
I got my copy of Beached at a thrift store in the winter of 1986/87. Didn't even know about it before then. I don't know why it caught my eye, but as soon as a looked at the back and saw the superstar supporting cast, I knew I had to give it a spin. NM promo copy for under a dollar. Wow.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2013, 07:36:04 PM »

The last two issues of Pet Sounds (the magazine) are up in the Media section. Yeah, hope you like them, given the condition of the newsprint... 

It's been SO much fun doing them, that maybe I should copy all the issues of "Friends Of The Beach Boys" for a new project.   

The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2013, 08:22:43 PM »

Growing up as a teenager in southeast Kentucky in the 80s I can say us Beach Boys fans didn't abound in great numbers except for some people who like the typical early 'fun in the sun' material and Kokomo. One of my friends despised the Beach Boys until we were in our early 20s in the early 90s and I played him "Til I Die" and "Surf's Up". There was only one other person in town that got into the 1966-'73 period as much as me.

However, what made me feel REALLY lonely as a teen in the 80s in Kentucky was knowing how my schoolmates felt about my Todd Rundgren/Utopia/Three Dog Night/Laura Nyro/Dusty Springfield collections...Everybody else my age was into Bon Jovi, Poison, Thompson Twins, Michael Jackson, Prince, Motley Cure, Madonna, etc.....They LOVED the Beach Boys compared to how they were about the other artists I mentioned.

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2013, 09:26:23 PM »

Another quick record store story....At my local record store, they had a stack of Billboard magazines on a counter (past editions and the current one). So I would go in there every week like clockwork, and stand at that counter paging through the latest Billboard magazine. I would go meticulously through all the charts to see if any Beach Boys' albums or singles were on there, and how they were doing. I literally lived and died by those charts, hoping the current releases would make some noise. As a bonus, sometimes there would be a blurb or a paragraph on an upcoming release. It was usually just something like "The Beach Boys are in the studio in L.A....Brian Wilson is recording with the group....one of titles is "Our Team"....the album should be out in the spring...." It's funny how some of those record store moments were highlights of your day, week, life!

And then there was the PhonoLog, this absolutely massive "book" listing every album and single in print in the US, both by artist and title.  Not sure how often it was updated, maybe monthly, but for sure at least four times a year.  Each PhonoLog page was removable, so when the updates arrived in the mail a record store was charged with the task of junking any pages with old info and replacing them with an updated page.  Not only would the PhonoLog alert you to any new releases you might be unaware of (assuming you went to the trouble of looking up the artist in question), but you also became aware of albums and singles no longer in print when you no longer saw them listed (for example the great Capitol Records Beach Boys album purge when they initially went to Brother/Reprise, although a some of the deleted albums soon became available once again in truncated 10 songs per album two-fer form).

It's funny how some of those record store moments were highlights of your day, week, life!

Yeah, totally agree!

Ah, yes, the old PhonoLog. Yeah, there was one of those at my local record store, but I/the customer wasn't allowed to use it on their own! You had to ask - or bother - the person behind the counter. I remember one time being told that it was really expensive. So, I didn't want to be a pain and I would wait until nobody was in line or things were slow, then I'd politely ask the clerk to check on my requests. Eventually, that PhonoLog was replaced by this big, bulky computer that the customer could use. You just put in the name of the artist and everything that was available would come up on the screen. You could even print out the item on this slip of paper and give it to the cashier/clerk to order. Eventually people got frustrated by nuts like me who spent too long at that computer, or the thing was always broken!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2013, 10:58:46 PM »

Nice topic....suffice to say that most of the information that is around today was not around in the late 60s and early 70s. The BBFUN Newsletter was the first fan list that brought a number of us together....me, David Leaf, Derek Bill, Marty Taber, Don Spears.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »

My first tape was 20 Golden Greats round about 1988, just before Kokomo came out.  I was hooked and began asking all my school friends to ask their parents if they had any Beach Boys records. Then my mum was out with her friend and happened to mention my 'obsession'.  Turns out her friend loved them too and gave me most of the 60s original issue UK lps.  Then in 1989 they broadcast the 25th Anniversary concert so I had some recentish footage!  I bought Made in USA and Brian Wilson.  Then every time I went into Virgin I tried to order a Beach Boys lp.  They had them all listed but the only one not out of print was Pet Sounds.  Eventually after getting told they were deleted a guy who worked there told me where to get a second hand Surf's Up.  But in the meantime he copied his own for me onto cassette.  A really nice thing to do for a young fan.  Nowadays you can just go on the Internet and pick most albums up from ebay!  Takes a bit of the fun and excitement out of it though. Cheesy
mtaber
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2013, 04:05:41 AM »

bgas- is that a threat?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2013, 04:18:40 AM »

My first tape was 20 Golden Greats round about 1988, just before Kokomo came out.  I was hooked and began asking all my school friends to ask their parents if they had any Beach Boys records. Then my mum was out with her friend and happened to mention my 'obsession'.  Turns out her friend loved them too and gave me most of the 60s original issue UK lps.  Then in 1989 they broadcast the 25th Anniversary concert so I had some recentish footage!  I bought Made in USA and Brian Wilson.  Then every time I went into Virgin I tried to order a Beach Boys lp.  They had them all listed but the only one not out of print was Pet Sounds.  Eventually after getting told they were deleted a guy who worked there told me where to get a second hand Surf's Up.  But in the meantime he copied his own for me onto cassette.  A really nice thing to do for a young fan.  Nowadays you can just go on the Internet and pick most albums up from ebay!  Takes a bit of the fun and excitement out of it though. Cheesy

Similar timeframe to me. I was lucky to find Pet Sounds, Surfer Girl and Party on LP in Our Price (remember that shop?). Also had a great second hand record shop near me, Beano's, in Croydon. Got all the original albums. Then I sold them when the two-fers came out! (arghhhh - what was I thinking?)

But yes, the joy of scouring for records in second hand shops, not just to complete your collection, but to get hold of stuff you'd never heard. I'd been a fan for about a year before I'd even heard Summer Days!!!, Smiley Smile and Surfs Up. Unthinkable nowadays.

I'm glad it happened the way it did, although if it wasn't for the internet I probably wouldn't have stuff like the full set of Sea Of Tunes and other (cough) recordings in my collection.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2013, 07:56:26 AM »

I did seven issues,  each one larger than the one before. Started out 3-4 pages and issue 7 was about 40 or so. I created a monster! Lots of fun, though, and made a lot of friends...

bgas- is that a threat?

Seems to me!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:50:30 PM by bgas » Logged

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2013, 08:15:09 AM »

Stephen, I do remember Our Price!  I also managed to pick up a few of the albums from that 80s reissue series on cassette.  Then I went to the States for a holiday and remember going into Sam Goodie's music shop and they had loads of Beach Boys tapes, stuff that I hadn't heard like '69 Live in London.  It was like an Aladdin's gave for a young fan like myself.  Needless to say I picked up a few, including the abridged Today and Shut Down, aka Dance Dance Dance and Fun Fun Fun.  I also remember writing to EMI asking for any Beach Boys stuff they had available.  I got a nice letter back saying they would be reissuing the albums on CD.  A year later, true to their word, the two-fers came out much to my delight (even though I didn't have a CD player! ). Happy days! Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:17:15 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2013, 05:11:49 PM »

Happened to notice that a seller has the first two issues of Pet Sounds magazine for sale on Ebay: 

The Love You issue: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beach-Boys-PET-SOUNDS-Rare-1977-VINTAGE-Newsprint-FANZINE-Vol-1-Number-2-/111197097515  ( Buy It Now) 

The First issue: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beach-Boys-PET-SOUNDS-Rare-1977-VINTAGE-Newsprint-FANZINE-Vol-1-Number-1-/380752105034  ( an auction)

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2013, 06:26:59 PM »

Being a Beach Boy fan is hard now because most don't see them as a serious band. I'm mocked all the time for it.
Agreed, they mostly see them as a bubblegum surf band despite the fact that Pet Sounds and Smile are quite well-known.
I wonder what people's opinion on them would be like if they successfully overcame their crappy image.
More importantly, I wonder if there's anything we can do to help change their image?  Huh

Yes, there have been 2 times when the Beach Boys stuck their foot in the water of 'hip'. The first was with Pet Sounds/Good Vibrations and the talk of the forth coming SMiLE album. That came to an abrupt ending with Brian's melt down. The 2nd was in the Jack Reiley era. On the front cover of Rolling Stone fighting the old surfing image. That came to an abrupt ending when Endless Summer came out, and Blondie then Ricky quit the band.

Dennis Wilson as a solo artist could be a third. He released one album, but his addictions kept him from moving forward.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx