gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:26:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think I can understand why Brian might not wanna write much with Mike...  (Read 42273 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »

I'm trying to remember but in the case where Mike Love sued Brian Wilson over those infamous song credits, didn't he first try to approach Wilson privately and try to work out a settlement without having to take him to court?  I believe Mike Love only went to court when he and Wilson couldn't work out an equatable settlement between the two of them as to what Mike was actually owed for his songwriting contributions.

BTW, can someone point me to the list of the songs where Mike was awarded co-writer's credit, as a result of the 1994 lawsuit.  I tried Google and got the usual interviews.  Did AGD post such a list?  Thanks!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
oldsurferdude
« Reply #201 on: July 29, 2013, 11:28:46 AM »

Yes, the @sshole that keeps on giving. I coined that, by the way.

What word did mYke write? Cheesy
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 29, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »

OSD is like a bad SNL sketch that for some reason was kept on air for several seasons.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #203 on: July 29, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »

OSD is like a bad SNL sketch that for some reason was kept on air for several seasons.
I'll go with that, yeah bear, post of the year!  LOL
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: July 30, 2013, 02:00:31 PM »

Funny that you guys still won't touch the fact that Mike compares himself to Paul McCartney.

Is it really that what annoys you so much? I think Mike's wrong to compare himself to Paul in his writing partnership with Brian, and of course he's not nearly as talented a tunesmith. So what? Many people overesteem themselves.

I think the problem is: people who diss Mike and pick apart/ minimize his comtributions seem to really believe their opinion is THE opinion and they seem to have serious problems with those who disagree and those who really don't care if Mike's an asshole or not. They REALLY REALLY REALLY want everyone to be fuming and steaming with rage about it.

I think so too. At first glance at his initial post in this thread I thought this was the case with sweetdudejim too, but after what he wrote I don't think he's one of those guys Pinder means. There are people who get really annoyed when somebody says anything positive about Mike.

The fact that on a Beach Boys website people use phrases like `Mike supporter`is both amusing and tragic.

You're right - there is no good term available to describe what I'm talking about. That there is a term like Brianista but no equivalent for Mike is evident that the namecalling is overwhelmingly lobbed by the people who do, in fact, by and large take Mike's side in a lot of these discussions.

Actually there is one: "Kokomaoist", but it is indeed rarely used. Call me a "Kokomaoist", if you like, even if I don't think that Mike is an angel or that he is anywhere as talented as Brian. But I think that Mike gets overly slammed, too.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 30, 2013, 02:10:31 PM »

Funny that you guys still won't touch the fact that Mike compares himself to Paul McCartney.

Is it really that what annoys you so much? I think Mike's wrong to compare himself to Paul in his writing partnership with Brian, and of course he's not nearly as talented a tunesmith. So what? Many people overesteem themselves.

Yeah, you're right. That does really bug me. I think Mike's been a great lyricist at  times, and he's a great lead singer. But he obviously is nowhere near Paul McCartney.

I think the problem is: people who diss Mike and pick apart/ minimize his comtributions seem to really believe their opinion is THE opinion and they seem to have serious problems with those who disagree and those who really don't care if Mike's an asshole or not. They REALLY REALLY REALLY want everyone to be fuming and steaming with rage about it.

I think so too. At first glance at his initial post in this thread I thought this was the case with sweetdudejim too, but after what he wrote I don't think he's one of those guys Pinder means. There are people who get really annoyed when somebody says anything positive about Mike.

Once again, right on. I'm not anti-Mike by any means. I'm bummed that it was basically he who discontinued any future Beach Boys work, but that's his prerogative.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 30, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »

Yeah, you're right. That does really bug me. I think Mike's been a great lyricist at  times, and he's a great lead singer. But he obviously is nowhere near Paul McCartney.

Once again, right on. I'm not anti-Mike by any means. I'm bummed that it was basically he who discontinued any future Beach Boys work, but that's his prerogative.

He hasn't discontinued any future Beach Boys work ....... Tour ended messily but if Brian called and said he wanted to make another album:" let's write some songs", Mike and his handler Bruce would be there in a flash!

And for the record: Brian/Mike were a superior writing team to Lennon/McCartney, so he can compare himself all he wants and it doesn't bother me in the least.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »

He hasn't discontinued any future Beach Boys work ....... Tour ended messily but if Brian called and said he wanted to make another album:" let's write some songs", Mike and his handler Bruce would be there in a flash!

Ugh. Do we really have to go here again? There were offers on the table for more shows and another album (per Jon Stebbins), and Mike's return to his awesome touring band left those all on the table. Brian said he wanted to continue. As did Al. Therefore Mike discontinued any future Beach Boys work. Maybe sometime in the future they will regroup. I doubt it though.

And for the record: Brian/Mike were a superior writing team to Lennon/McCartney, so he can compare himself all he wants and it doesn't bother me in the least.

Maybe Wilson/Love is a superior writing team to Lennon/McCartney. I personally love both. But to say a guy who has probably written a total of 10 songs by himself in his whole life is anywhere near Paul McCartney as a musician or writer is just pure insanity.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »

Ugh. Do we really have to go here again? There were offers on the table for more shows and another album (per Jon Stebbins), and Mike's return to his awesome touring band left those all on the table. Brian said he wanted to continue. As did Al. Therefore Mike discontinued any future Beach Boys work. Maybe sometime in the future they will regroup. I doubt it though.

Maybe Wilson/Love is a superior writing team to Lennon/McCartney. I personally love both. But to say a guy who has probably written a total of 10 songs by himself in his whole life is anywhere near Paul McCartney as a musician or writer is just pure insanity.

Can someone point me to this interview? I'm sure I've seen but I don't know where. Thanks.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2013, 05:06:49 PM »

Can someone point me to this interview? I'm sure I've seen but I don't know where. Thanks.

The interview with Pinder Goes To Kokomo? Don't have one sorry.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »

Yeah, you're right. That does really bug me. I think Mike's been a great lyricist at  times, and he's a great lead singer. But he obviously is nowhere near Paul McCartney.

Pinder - I'm with you on this. They were and are superior to the Mop Tops!  A  Beer for you!

Wa-wa-wa! They ought to rename this board "whiney whine" instead of "smiley smile." 

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »

The interview where Mike compares himself to McCartney. Thanks.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2013, 05:34:32 PM »

I'll happily sit for an interview, but ONLY if it's OSD asking the questions!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »

The songs Brian/Mike wrote together, the songs Brian wrote with others, or alone, and the songs Carl, Dennis, Bruce, Al wrote in whatever configuration: have touched me far more deeply than anything Lennon/McCartney have ever written with the Beatles or by themselves (George gets a qualified second place to The Beach Boys with All Things Must Pass Wink) ... so I hardly think it matters how many songs Mike has written by himself (at least two of which have moved me well beyond anything Macca has ever done) or with whoever else.... It's hardly quantity over quality.... You seem to be approaching this subject as a McCartney fan more than a Mike hater, which I can dig.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »

It's Guardian interview where Mike basically says his plight is like Paul's. Except the problem is The Beatles fan base doesn't have nearly the same amount of dislike for Paul that a large amount of the The Beach Boys fan base has for Mike.

In his defense, I'm pretty sure Mike didn't compare himself musically to Paul. But Pinder did. And I'm discussing it with him, And I respect his opinion too. See below.

The songs Brian/Mike wrote together, the songs Brian wrote with others, or alone, and the songs Carl, Dennis, Bruce, Al wrote in whatever configuration: have touched me far more deeply than anything Lennon/McCartney have ever written with the Beatles or by themselves (George gets a qualified second place to The Beach Boys with All Things Must Pass Wink) ... so I hardly think it matters how many songs Mike has written by himself (at least two of which have moved me well beyond anything Macca has ever done) or with whoever else.... It's hardly quantity over quality.... You seem to be approaching this subject as a McCartney fan more than a Mike hater, which I can dig.

Hey man I can dig that you like stuff that Mike has done more than you like Lennon/McCartney's stuff. We are all allowed our own taste. I personally love The Beach Boys and most particularly Brian Wilson, but I also love The Beatles, and most particularly Paul McCartney.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »

It's Guardian interview where Mike basically says his plight is like Paul's. Except the problem is The Beatles fan base doesn't have nearly the same amount of dislike for Paul that a large amount of the The Beach Boys fan base has for Mike.

In his defense, I'm pretty sure Mike didn't compare himself musically to Paul. But Pinder did. And I'm discussing it with him, And I respect his opinion too. See below.

Hey man I can dig that you like stuff that Mike has done more than you like Lennon/McCartney's stuff. We are all allowed our own taste. I personally love The Beach Boys and most particularly Brian Wilson, but I also love The Beatles, and most particularly Paul McCartney.

I might help that my all time favorite Beatles song is Hey Jude and that I pretty much like every single thing Paul's done with Wings or solo!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »

This?

Dave Simpson: You seem very chilled today, Mike. Why have you had such a bad press in recent years?

Mike Love: I think there are a lot of fallacies about me, things that need to be rectified. I'm working on a book that will lay rest to some of them. I know what I did and didn't do. People say the Beatles were John Lennon. What is Paul McCartney? Chopped liver? But everyone has their own favourite members whose creativity they gravitate to. That's normal.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2013, 06:24:03 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/jul/04/beach-boys-mike-love-interview

He has done some variations of this interview recently.  The quote is near the end. In referring to Brian as Lennon, "what was McCartney,  chopped liver"?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »

This?

Dave Simpson: You seem very chilled today, Mike. Why have you had such a bad press in recent years?

Mike Love: I think there are a lot of fallacies about me, things that need to be rectified. I'm working on a book that will lay rest to some of them. I know what I did and didn't do. People say the Beatles were John Lennon. What is Paul McCartney? Chopped liver? But everyone has their own favourite members whose creativity they gravitate to. That's normal.

Bingo.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2013, 06:34:28 PM »

This?

Bingo.

People disagree with his comparison as the less favored member in a band?

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »

This?

Bingo.

"I know what I did and didn't do". Talking about songwriting I imagine. I think Paul was the most popular Beatle to the masses so I doubt he was referring to that.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2013, 06:48:37 PM »

I'm trying to remember but in the case where Mike Love sued Brian Wilson over those infamous song credits, didn't he first try to approach Wilson privately and try to work out a settlement without having to take him to court?  I believe Mike Love only went to court when he and Wilson couldn't work out an equatable settlement between the two of them as to what Mike was actually owed for his songwriting contributions.

BTW, can someone point me to the list of the songs where Mike was awarded co-writer's credit, as a result of the 1994 lawsuit.  I tried Google and got the usual interviews.  Did AGD post such a list?  Thanks!

AGD did post a list in another thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15868.msg381802.html#msg381802
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:00:00 PM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »

This?

Bingo.

"I know what I did and didn't do". Talking about songwriting I imagine. I think Paul was the most popular Beatle to the masses so I doubt he was referring to that.

In regard to fallacies about Mike. The Paul comparison is about favor within a band.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »

The point he is raising is that how could people possibly say The Beatles were John Lennon when someone like Paul McCartney contributed so much to what The Beatles were. He is drawing that comparison to himself - how can people say The Beach Boys were Brian Wilson when someone like Mike Love contributed so much to what The Beatles were. The difference, of course, is that Lennon and McCartney were far more equal contributors to The Beatles than Brian Wilson and Mike Love were.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »

The point he is raising is that how could people possibly say The Beatles were John Lennon when someone like Paul McCartney contributed so much to what The Beatles were. He is drawing that comparison to himself - how can people say The Beach Boys were Brian Wilson when someone like Mike Love contributed so much to what The Beatles were. The difference, of course, is that Lennon and McCartney were far more equal contributors to The Beatles than Brian Wilson and Mike Love were.

His point: "But everyone has their own favourite members whose creativity they gravitate to. That's normal."

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx