gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:08:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: name one guest vocalist you wish they would have had  (Read 3956 times)
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »

I'll start.

David Gilmour
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:31:24 PM »

The Beach Boys?
Brian, Al and Dave?
Mike and Bruce?

....who are we talking about here?
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »

The Beach Boys in the 60's were the most absurdly stacked vocal group I've ever known. Most bands had one great singer if they had any, the Beatles had two, (and one near-great singer in George), the Beach Boys had 5. It was just absurd.

NVM, a guest vocalist? I love Ann and Nancy Wilson, thought they did a great version of Good Vibrations, so I'll say them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:31:52 PM by Kurosawa » Logged

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »

The Beach Boys?

yes
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 12:34:49 AM »

David Gates
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »

Anyone more like Carl & Dennis i terms of music style preference and hipness than Bruce. Could've made a big, big difference.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 01:14:30 AM »

Ronnie Spector.

Please delete my account
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 01:24:51 AM »

good ole doris day

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 01:31:27 AM »

The real Santa Claus

Please delete my account
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 03:41:02 AM »

For what they did they were actually 'complete'. Which makes sense since they invented much of what they did. A tautology, but yeah. Any distinct extra voice would have been 'too much'.

Maybe they could have used an extra folky-voice guy (besides Al) on a couple of tracks or give a guesting Sam Cooke the lead on something to which they harmonise in the background, that might have been nice (I know they opened for him quite early in their career but I'm talking about a record, of course). Dunno, just spitballing here..
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »

another question I should ask here (without starting a new thread) is what guest musician would you have liked on a song or album?

Manzarek I think would have been a good guest keyboardist on their late 60s/early 70s stuff.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »

Another Carl Wilson

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 04:18:58 PM »

Nancy Sinatra

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »

I think Frank Sinatra, Jr. should record "Still I Dream Of It"....
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »

alvin

theodor

simon

Brian, Dennis, & Carl

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »

another question I should ask here (without starting a new thread) is what guest musician would you have liked on a song or album?

Manzarek I think would have been a good guest keyboardist on their late 60s/early 70s stuff.

I don't think Manzarek would have been a good fit. The Beach Boys made tightly structured pop songs and Manzarek was more about stretching out and playing jazzy flourishes.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 02:39:41 AM »

Freddie Mercury
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 02:47:43 AM »

hell no.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 06:49:50 AM »

I'd love to have heard them record something with Annette Funicello.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »

Honestly, none. Every time they have had a guest vocalist on stage or on a recording I have found myself saying, "man that would have sounded great if (Al, Carl, Mike, Brian, Dennis) had sung it".

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »

Another Carl Wilson
How's that, Freddie? I thought you're a big CW fan, so you know that no one can take his place, because no one can sing like Carl today. He's one of a kind.

My vote goes for the lead singer of The Guess Who. I reckon he could be good for songs like "Funky Pretty" or "This Whole World". Though it'd be even greater if they all sang "Undun", Mike doing his usual bass bits. It's such a great song!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »

So I'm sitting outside on a Sunday afternoon, enjoying a nice summer day, and 'Wichita Lineman" comes on the radio. Now I've listened to that song 1,000 times in my lifetime, but, for some reason, it really touched me today. I got to thinking about Glen Campbell and his illness, but, it especially hit me how long ago those Jimmy Webb songs were written and recorded. I mean, Glen was literally right of the Beach Boys when he hit it big. The Gentle On My Mind album was Album Of The Year in 1967 - the year that SMiLE should've come out. Anyway, I digress...

Glen's vocal on "Wichita Lineman" is so smooth and touching and great, and I got to thinking. What if Glen Campbell had remained in The Beach Boys? Can you imagine a band in the mid/late 1960's and early 1970's with lead vocalists the likes of Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Al Jardine - and Glen Campbell? It also would've been interesting to see what the group would've done live, with the talent Glen displayed on guitar. It is not discussed often, but just think how the band might've progressed with Glen Campbell as a full-time member, singer, guitar player and personality.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:49:34 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »

Wichita Lineman is nice, but I'm more keen on Galveston. Hands down one of Glen's best vocals in his entire career. As for guitar playing, you are absolutely right, Glen's contributions in this field often get overlooked. But luckily, there were some musicians who admired his guitar style. Year or 2 ago, in the RS article dedicated to Glen, Leon Russell admitted that the former is the most versatile guitar player he ever heard, adding he was his favorite session musician. Also, it was in this article where I found out that Glen appeared in more than 500 recordings (rough estimate), some of them becoming stone cold classics. That's almost unbelievable! He's a real hard-worker.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »

Their harmonies were so powerful, I don't think it would have sounded right having anybody else sing with them, without relegating them to a backup status.  So you could have had somebody sing lead, and then the boys sing harmony, but it would overpower whoever was singing lead imho.  It worked and was balanced when it was a member of the band singing lead and everybody else singing harmony.

I will say, though, that you could have came up with some interesting things by adding female voices to the mix.  I know there's a few songs with Marilyn on it, but I mean going more with a girl group call and response type of thing, instead of having the boys sing all the harmony pads have a few girl group pads in there.  I'm hearing something like the Royal Teen's "Short Shorts" in my mind, lol.  That would be awesome. 
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 12:03:44 AM »

When Carl died back in 98, and I saw the band falling apart, I immediately thought, "get Christopher Cross". You may laugh, but he alone comes closest to Carl's vocal. I still think Christopher Cross should be called on to handle Carl's leads. In fact, I think he once was a special guest at a BB concert/event. Can anyone confirm?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx