gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:16:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Going Public
5 - 4 (6.9%)
4 - 7 (12.1%)
3 - 11 (19%)
2 - 10 (17.2%)
1 - 14 (24.1%)
0 - 12 (20.7%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going Public (Bruce Johnston)  (Read 38385 times)
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »

I haven't heard the rest of the album, but I do like Bruce Johnston's version of "I Write The Songs" loads better than Barry Manilow's version. It sounds more understated.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »

Worst. BB. Solo. Album.

Ever.

Horrible production, horrible mix, horrible vocals...the absolute drizzling shits.

I hate the reverb on Bruce's vocals with a passion. It seems like around this time all his vocals began to be overly processed (see Harmony, Endless), and there's less energy emanating from this cd than a rest home.

Sucks.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:18 AM »

Looking back with love is a classic compared to this. Its the kind of music that may go down well at a tea party in an old folks home. Did Bruce leave his balls outside the studio while he was recording this and pick them up again on the way home?

rogerlancelot
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »

Worst. BB. Solo. Album.

Ever.

Horrible production, horrible mix, horrible vocals...the absolute drizzling sh*ts.

I hate the reverb on Bruce's vocals with a passion. It seems like around this time all his vocals began to be overly processed (see Harmony, Endless), and there's less energy emanating from this cd than a rest home.

Sucks.

Best review I have seen of this album.

Ever.

How about that disco remake of "Deirdre"Huh??

Why?Huh?

I actually kind of liked Bruce before I got this album. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but I won't be purchasing any more music that openly admits was the responsibility of this wet noodle.

Roll Eyes
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »

My first reaction upon hearing this album all the way through was something akin to this:

And I mean it. Insipid lyrics, horrible remakes of his own songs. Schmaltzy stuff that Bruce is known to write. HORRIBLE production. What the hell is going on with Bruce's voice on this album? Little girls randomly popping up in songs singing "Daddy? Why won't somebody dance with me?" Disco remakes? Yuck!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:34:08 PM by All Alone » Logged
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »

Not bad, though full of schmaltz and fluff. I Write the Songs is pretty good vocally but the production felt lackluster. Imagine how it would sound with the BBs backing him up!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl Rock and Roll Survivor is pretty good too. The album is the type that's not for everyone but is good for a casual listen.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 10:52:43 AM »

I Went to Sleep

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »

Horrible and syrupy bland songs, half of them are several years old and worse than the originals

Awarded:1

Also I don't like Blow Jobson at all, his personality stinks and I resent his opinions and his destruction of anything cool about the Beach Boys. Come to think of it he tarnishes their name more than bad Hollywood comedies using their songs, Mike Luvester or SIP could ever do. He failed hard then came back to destroy what little potential LA Light had and is now getting money for it all, f*** him. I'm pretty sure Brian is of the same opinion. Dennis probably hated him more than anyone else.

EDIT:
Because of aforementioned I remarked this disgusting mess of an album to: 0
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:01:43 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »

Odd they used the 1970 SUNFLOWER shot for the cover of a 1977 album. Woudn't the label pony up the $ for a photo session?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »

Odd they used the 1970 SUNFLOWER shot for the cover of a 1977 album. Woudn't the label pony up the $ for a photo session?
Oh, you don't wanna see Bruce from that time era!  LOL

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Juice Bronston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »

1988:

The Beach Boys are inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and I as am happy as could be. I'm sittin' on top of the world.

Then, I come to find out that Bruce isn't mentioned anywhere on their award. This was my Bataan death march, my Hurricane Katrina....

I was a crushed, young soul. This record was the only place I could find solace.
I would sit in my room, tears in my lap, record sleeve in my hand. I can still hear "Pipeline" ringing in my ears.

Point is, Bruce was there for me. It's almost as if his clapping-worn hands were holding me, sheltering me, whispering to me "It's okay. We'll make it together. We're always together." My record was so water logged, by 1990, I had to buy a new one.

I still have yet to find a copy.

5/5
bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 09:55:04 PM »

Listenable Sunday afternoon stuff. Not as bad as it's made out to be.
That pretty much sums up how I feel about this album. Not my type of music, but at the same time, not a bad album at all.
I'll give this a fair 2.5 out of 5.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 11:35:14 AM »

Sounds like a songwriter"s demo to me. I will NEVER understand why Bruce settles for 2nd best.. Not a very good LP at all.. His ONE chance to record a solo lp with his name on it in his hey day and  this is the best he could do..?  The only reason to own this is for : I write the songs .. And we need a disco remake of PIPELINE.? Are you kidding me..I was hoping for a progressive pop lp . He had already done that with Disney girls . You mean to tell me Bruce hasn't got anymore tunes like DG + IWTS..  He just has this. ?? Very disturbing ..
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »

I just found a copy for $2 at a record store. I had it in my hands, put it back, thinking..."why am I buying this when I know it's going to be sh*t?". And I almost walked out of the shop without it - but I had this nagging thing in the back of my head saying, "you're OBLIGATED to buy this". This Beach Boys thing, it's an illness I tell you!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2015, 09:36:25 AM »

Though I know Bruce is perhaps the least rocking person on Earth to have such a lengthy career in rock and roll, I've always enjoyed his songwriting. Heck, I even like Tears In The Morning. A lot.

So, looking for something new to hear, I decided to check out a couple of Going Public tracks that grabbed my interest. Pipeline was lined up first - I'm a big Johnny Thunders fan and he used to open with it, kinda made it his signature song. I knew Bruce's version certainly wouldn't be as rollicking but given his surf music origins..... Shocked

Consider me speechless.

Oh well, I've always liked Deidre.... *click*

Shocked Shocked Shocked

One of the commenters on the YouTube video I was watching on declares Bruce's disco Deidre to be, and I quote 'far superior to the beach boys version'. which just goes to prove once more that there's no accounting for taste. Then again someone probably prefers Bruce's Pipeline to Johnny's. I am not he, Jack.

It's so bloody 'nice' isn't it? And this is coming from someone who digs the Carpenters.

The reverb on the vocals is intensely annoying, but I think was commonplace for the era. It has the disconcerting quality of making Bruce's duet partner on 'Won't Somebody Dance With Me' sound like a haunted doll peering back through the veil of time. A veil best left closed.

Disney Girls. A great song killed stone dead here. Just to think that Bruce must have thought the original needed toning down a bit blows my mind a little.

Perhaps I should check out some Bruce & Terry instead. Any suggestions for a starting point?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:05:37 AM by elnombre » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »

Though I know Bruce is perhaps the least rocking person on Earth to have such a lengthy career in rock and roll, I've always enjoyed his songwriting. Heck, I even like Tears In The Morning. A lot.

So, looking for something new to hear, I decided to check out a couple of Going Public tracks that grabbed my interest. Pipeline was lined up first - I'm a big Johnny Thunders fan and he used to open with it, kinda made it his signature song. I knew Bruce's version certainly wouldn't be as rollicking but given his surf music origins..... Shocked

Consider me speechless.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

One of the commenters on the YouTube video I was watching on declares Bruce's disco Deidre to be, and I quote 'far superior to the beach boys version'. which just goes to prove once more that there's no accounting for taste. Then again someone probably prefers Bruce's Pipeline to Johnny's. I am not he, Jack.

It's so bloody 'nice' isn't it? And this is coming from someone who digs the Carpenters.

The reverb on the vocals is intensely annoying, but I think was commonplace for the era. It has the disconcerting quality of making Bruce's duet partner on 'Won't Somebody Dance With Me' sound like a haunted doll peering back through the veil of time. A veil best left closed.

Disney Girls. A great song killed stone dead here. Just to think that Bruce must have thought the original needed toning down a bit blows my mind a little.

Perhaps I should check out some Bruce & Terry instead. Any suggestions for a starting point?

Elnombre, get yourself a copy of The Best Of Bruce & Terry on the Sundazed label. And if you want to hear Bruce actually 'rockin' like for real find a copy of Bruce's Surfers' Pajama Party. From one Johnny Thunders fan to another I think you'd like the latter.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »

I Went to Sleep

This.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2015, 09:49:57 PM »

Horrible and syrupy bland songs, half of them are several years old and worse than the originals

Awarded:1

Also I don't like Blow Jobson at all, his personality stinks and I resent his opinions and his destruction of anything cool about the Beach Boys. Come to think of it he tarnishes their name more than bad Hollywood comedies using their songs, Mike Luvester or SIP could ever do. He failed hard then came back to destroy what little potential LA Light had and is now getting money for it all, f*** him. I'm pretty sure Brian is of the same opinion. Dennis probably hated him more than anyone else.

EDIT:
Because of aforementioned I remarked this disgusting mess of an album to: 0
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

SIP
Going Public

These two turkeys sum up what M & B are all about-pure schlock to put it rather politely. Gave 'em both zeros.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »

Damn straight, oldsurferdude ! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2015, 06:36:38 PM »

Consider me speechless.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Elnombre, get yourself a copy of The Best Of Bruce & Terry on the Sundazed label. And if you want to hear Bruce actually 'rockin' like for real find a copy of Bruce's Surfers' Pajama Party. From one Johnny Thunders fan to another I think you'd like the latter.

Thanks Mike, will do when I can. Loved Sundazed's Karen Dalton & Betty Davis reissues. Incredible label.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »

People generally consider Goin' Public by Bruce Johnston, a horrible record. Most would agree, it needs a mess of help to stand alone. This album isn't fun fun fun.

Okay, I'm done with the BBs puns.  Razz

So, I am a strong believer that EVERY BBs release has AT LEAST ONE gem. (Even the Nascar album...  Shocked)

What gems can be found on here?

Well, the new version of Disney Girls, is very pretty, albeit sappy, but this a Bruce Johnston record we're talking about here. I also really like Rendezvous. It's a guilty pleasure; it's so Gosh Darn catchy!!!!!!!!! I also enjoy Pipeline, which in a weird Bruce Johnston kinda way- rocks.

So out of the 9 tracks, I consider 3 of them gems- is it worth your money? Well you decide.... But you'd be better off buying a classic like

Today!, Holland, or hell even MIU is better than Goin' Public!

To be honest though, no BBs related record IS THAT BAD.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2015, 04:46:47 AM »

I Write the Songs. 4/5
Deidre 3/5
Thank You Baby 3/5
Rendezvous 2/5
Won't Somebody Dance With Me 0/5
Disney Girls 3/5
Rock and Roll Survivor 2/5
Don't Be Scared 3/5
Pipeline 4/5

It may be schmaltzy but you don't buy Bruce stuff expecting it to sound like Slayer now do you? Very good opening and closing songs, his Beach Boys remakes are nice but not a patch on the originals. The less said about Why Won't Someone Dance With Me, the better...
Overall 3/5

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »

The Bruce Johnston Going Public Tribute to Slayer album MUST happen.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx