gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 10:53:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Moderation issues and concerns  (Read 10743 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »

I'll start this by quoting my post from the MIC box thread.

So people are now being banned, not for consistently and egregiously flouting the rules -- as has been the standard in the past -- but for momentarily losing their temper? And after apologizing?

How are these determinations being made, and by whom?

What kind of assurances can the board moderators give us that this new standard will be applied fairly?

Has any thought been made as to the chilling effect this will have on board dialogue, especially given that many folks backing Mike have been quick to claim persecution at criticism of their stances? How can we trust that this new, activist stance of moderators will not be used to shut down anti-Mike sentiment, especially given the history of some of the mods themselves?

These questions all still stand, and have not been answered to my satisfaction. Take this nugget:

And from a personal standpoint, I also won't ban people for having anti-Mike views. But like any extremist view, if it is seen to be stepping on the toes of others, all of the moderators will be using their best judgment.

In other words, they are not shutting down dissenting views, except when they are. And the backhanded implication that not liking Mike Love is "an extremist view" is quite troubling.

Then there's this:

Well, let me add then, that one of the reasons for us mods to be more strict is, that lately we have seen more and more discussions get out of hand BECAUSE we were not directly banning someone for not acting according the rules.

I was not aware that threads going off topic was a justification for banning people, which seems to be the implication here.

Finally, the notion that the posters in question are violating board rules seem to be a stretch. The actual wording of the pertinent rules sections is this:

2) Treat others as you want to be treated. Think about what you are saying before you post a message. Lift each other up, don't tear each other down. Harassment of members is not tolerated. Please behave and not be an embarrassment to the good name of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys.

Do any of the posts in question qualify as harassment?  And the rest of this section, heartwarming as it may be, strikes me as a general guideline for behavior, not an easily decipherable set of specific rules. In other words, there is massive room for moderators to decide that any given post falls short of these standards.

In general, the hand-off moderation of this board has been to its considerable benefit. While it scares some off, it has encouraged robust debate and discussion. And when bans have happened, they have been for behavior that the general community accepts as out of line.

Changing this basic principle of the board strikes me as a big deal. And I'm not sure what the compelling reason behind it is. Threads going off topic? That's happened for forever. Heated arguments? Those have happened too. People losing their tempers? Ditto.

So what is different this time? What exactly is so troubling?

Put simply, I do not trust this board's moderators to act in an objective and transparent manner. Their responses in the MIC thread have been less than reassuring. And I will be blunt: While he might be funny, The Real Beach Boys spends a considerable part of his time here needling people. I feel -- and have felt for years -- that someone who behaves in the way he does has no business being a moderator.

And here's a bonus question, for him specifically:

One person can't call another an asshole, but it's acceptable to call women feminazis?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:36:47 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Jason
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »

And from a personal standpoint, I also won't ban people for having anti-Mike views. But like any extremist view, if it is seen to be stepping on the toes of others, all of the moderators will be using their best judgment.

In other words, they are not shutting down dissenting views, except when they are. And the backhanded implication that not liking Mike Love is "an extremist view" is quite troubling.

I wasn't implying anything with regard to not liking Mike being "an extremist view". I would think that "like any extremist view" would have been a dead giveaway that we're going to keep an eye on ANYTHING that disrupts the flow of the community. That DOES include even the most rabid pro-Mike and anti-Mike brouhaha that may arise.

Then there's this:
Well, let me add then, that one of the reasons for us mods to be more strict is, that lately we have seen more and more discussions get out of hand BECAUSE we were not directly banning someone for not acting according the rules.

I was not aware that threads going off topic was a justification for banning people, which seems to be the implication here.

Threads going off topic is not a justification for banning people unless said veering off-topic has done something to disrupt the community. Phil Cohen is a prime example of that, and even then the moderators debated it for a while before actually doing something about it (and only because the response from the community was so great that we felt we had an obligation to do it).

Finally, the notion that the posters in question are violating board rules seem to be a stretch. The actual wording of the pertinent rules sections is this:

2) Treat others as you want to be treated. Think about what you are saying before you post a message. Lift each other up, don't tear each other down. Harassment of members is not tolerated. Please behave and not be an embarrassment to the good name of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys.

Do any of the posts in question qualify as harassment?  And the rest of this section, heartwarming as it may be, strikes me as a general guideline for behavior, not an easily decipherable set of specific rules. In other words, there is massive room for moderators to decide that any given post falls short of these standards.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far. To offer my own perspective, I don't act on impulse, especially when it comes to watching the board. If I'm not sure about an issue I'll seek assistance from the other mods. I've also engaged members privately regarding certain issues and also welcome more of that in the future if anyone deems it necessary; my PM box is always open. I'm not unapproachable and neither are the other moderators. I believe in accountability and I want to be more so to everyone here. It's a moral responsibility on my part. I am sure the other moderators are in agreement.

In general, the hand-off moderation of this board has been to its considerable benefit. While it scares some off, it has encouraged robust debate and discussion. And when bans have happened, they have been for behavior that the general community accepts as out of line.

Changing this basic principle of the board strikes me as a big deal. And I'm not sure what the compelling reason behind it is. Threads going off topic? That's happened for forever. Heated arguments? Those have happened too. People losing their tempers? Ditto.

We still are hands-off, really. We come here to chat as fans, first and foremost. While we do receive a considerable amount of reported posts, very few have ever been about an issue requiring some kind of immediate action. We mostly just keep an eye on the thread and go from there. Usually such issues defuse relatively quickly. We're not out to look for reasons by any means.

And I will be blunt: While he might be funny, The Real Beach Boys spends a considerable part of his time here needling people. I feel -- and have felt for years -- that someone who behaves in the way he does has no business being a moderator.

Well, in the interest of accountability on my part, I'll put this out there - if my continued presence as a moderator here is that much of a problem for the community, I invite everyone who ever had such a problem to come in here, publicly, and let me know. If the response from the community is overall negative, I will step down as a moderator.

And here's a bonus question, for him specifically:

One person can't call another an asshole, but it's acceptable to call women feminazis?

Not one of my better moments. I was also taken to task on it personally. It's not happening again.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »

And I will be blunt: While he might be funny, The Real Beach Boys spends a considerable part of his time here needling people. I feel -- and have felt for years -- that someone who behaves in the way he does has no business being a moderator.

Well, in the interest of accountability on my part, I'll put this out there - if my continued presence as a moderator here is that much of a problem for the community, I invite everyone who ever had such a problem to come in here, publicly, and let me know. If the response from the community is overall negative, I will step down as a moderator.

"The Real Beach Boy" is an asshole. Simples as that.

But we need assholes to get rid opf scum like Rob McCabe. Nuff said.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 02:46:45 PM »

I would like to think I'm a pretty levelheaded guy. I try to be as fair as possible. I want this board to be how it used to be. Lately the level of hostility has been unbearable.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »

That was quite a decent response, TRBB. Thanks for taking the time, and taking the questions seriously.

With all that being said, I think I probably need to take some time away from the board. I feel as though I've become more of a disruption than a contributor, which is unfortunate. And my perspective on the band simply doesn't feel very welcome anymore.

I do love the music, and I look forward to talking with all of you about it sometime in the future. L&M.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:50:13 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »

Not welcome? Hell, I personally look forward to your posts.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »

That was quite a decent response, TRBB. Thanks for taking the time, and taking the questions seriously.

With all that being said, I think I probably need to take some time away from the board. I feel as though I've become more of a disruption than a contributor, which is unfortunate. And my perspective on the band simply doesn't feel very welcome anymore.

I do love the music, and I look forward to talking with all of you about it sometime in the future. L&M.

I also enjoy your posts, Wirestone.  Don't Go!

FWIW

In my view TRBB and the Others Mods do a really great job.  Yes, things get crazy around here, but they eventually settle down too.  That's coz, it's all about the music, man!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »

A lot to respond too. I’ll try to do my best to answer them.

So people are now being banned, not for consistently and egregiously flouting the rules -- as has been the standard in the past -- but for momentarily losing their temper? And after apologizing?

The rules say nothing on consistently breaking the rules before we act. But until now we’ve been very reserved acting on them. With the result that this last period more and more topics (apart from derailing in general) derail into name-calling, personal insulting, etc. Especially that is what we’re focussing more on.

As for the apology-aspect; that was indeed a bit unfortunate. What happened was that I (yes, it was me), had already placed the ban a couple of hours earlier… but I made a mistake not adding all triggers that are necessary to implement the ban. Hence the reason that Andrew had posted his apology, just before we corrected that mistake.

To make it clear: I’m not a fan of banning members here. I personally think AndrewHickey has done a good job in recent discussion on several (heated) topics. And I do welcome him back with open arms (just a few days to go). Same goes for AGD. I like his many contributions. And I’m sure OSD can deliver the right input as well… but I should definitely try to block the possibility for him to post those  w00t! w00t!

How are these determinations being made, and by whom?

See the rules and guidelines. Each moderator can act on these individually (as for instance we live in different time-zones, and we can’t always wait until every mod has made his mind up)

What kind of assurances can the board moderators give us that this new standard will be applied fairly?

I can only promise that I’ll do my utmost best to do so, as I have always done. And if I make a mistake with that, I’m not too proud to (a) not admit that and (b) not correct the mistake and make an apology for it.

Has any thought been made as to the chilling effect this will have on board dialogue, especially given that many folks backing Mike have been quick to claim persecution at criticism of their stances? How can we trust that this new, activist stance of moderators will not be used to shut down anti-Mike sentiment, especially given the history of some of the mods themselves?

I sincerely hope that it will result in members of this board at least thinking a bit more before they push the “post” button. Even if someone else on the board is succeeding in making your blood boil, it’s never an excuse to start with personal insulting yourself

I think we have been more than kind to the so called anti-Mike members here. To give you an idea of the number of bans: the last 3-4 months there were 3 bans. AGD and Andrew Hickey for personal name calling, and oldsurferdude for responding to a posted picture of Mike Love with wife and (at least one) daughter, calling them hookers (for which a 7 days ban is quite mild)..

I should have explained more clear. I’m not talking about derailing as in “off-topic”. We can simply request to get back on topic, and if it still continues it can ultimately end up us blocking the topic. I was specifically aiming at the personal insulting.

Yes, the things you mentioned have happened before. But lately it happens more and more. You might not have noticed that, but if you moderate this board daily, you do. The number of “reported posts” is going up and up. We (moderators) have been increasingly worried about the direction different discussion have been going this last period, specifically the short fuse some among us seem to have these days. That’s why we decided to be more strict on acting according to the rules. We have not changed the rules themselves: they’re still the same as, say, 5 years ago.

Put simply, I do not trust this board's moderators to act in an objective and transparent manner. Their responses in the MIC thread have been less than reassuring.

Again, we all do our best to moderate this board. If we have disappointed you with us acting the way we did in this specific topic, then I regret that, and for me it’s a sign to be better with communicating about it.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 03:28:03 PM »

The Mods do a great job in here. It can't be easy dealing with all the craziness that can go on in here. This was an unneeded thread, imho. It does make me laugh with all the name calling and arguments that go down here, that the Mods had to be called out. Plus, I wouldn't even bring up the right and wrongs of Mr. Hickey until he himself had a chance to respond first. We do seem to like to get into other people's business at times.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 07:13:50 AM »

I would be extremely disappointed if you stepped down.  You have a lot of strong opinions and I disagree with a lot of them, but I've always respected the way you moderate on this site.  Yes, you dish it out but you've always been just as willing to take it too and that's a refreshing change from what you see in most online communities.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »

"The Real Beach Boy" is an asshole. Simples as that.

But we need assholes to get rid opf scum like Rob McCabe. Nuff said.

Who was Rob McCabe? I have very vague memories; wasn't he 'The Brianista From Hell'?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »

and so an era in smileysmile.net/board has ended.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jason
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »

and so an era in smileysmile.net/board has ended.

What era has ended? The board isn't going anywhere.
Jason
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »

I would be extremely disappointed if you stepped down.  You have a lot of strong opinions and I disagree with a lot of them, but I've always respected the way you moderate on this site.  Yes, you dish it out but you've always been just as willing to take it too and that's a refreshing change from what you see in most online communities.

Well, if you're going to be a moderator on a forum on top of getting down and dirty in the debates, a thick skin is required. I don't ban people for disagreeing with me or calling me out. I never will, either. None of the moderators would. We're a fan community; we have debates and squabbles. Only if those squabbles disrupt the board does it really become an issue.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:08:47 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 04:03:58 AM »

Those charged with being mods should, by virtue of their status, be above the petty squabbles endemic on this forum and strictly neutral in how they handle individual cases. Three of them are, one isn't.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »

They all seem remarkably neutral to me.

Except, understandably, when they are personally being attacked.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »

Those charged with being mods should, by virtue of their status, be above the petty squabbles endemic on this forum and strictly neutral in how they handle individual cases. Three of them are, one isn't.

Word.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:59:37 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 01:20:53 PM »

Sometimes by one mod, acting in isolation.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »

Sometimes by one mod, acting in isolation.

And that's the whole problem.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »

Real Beach Boy can be a little cantankerous, but I would be too after dealing with countless Phils, ghosts, Newguys, thomasoggs, etc. I think all 4 of the guys are decent mods, TRBB is just a more blunt and outspoken personality than, say, Smile Holland.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 12:39:37 AM »

I think including Jonas as an active Mod is rather stretching it these days. We have 3 Mods, they do a fine job, but I would suggest that before a banning all three should discuss and bring it to a vote. No acting alone.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 04:22:20 AM »

I think including Jonas as an active Mod is rather stretching it these days. We have 3 Mods, they do a fine job, but I would suggest that before a banning all three should discuss and bring it to a vote. No acting alone.
Here's a novel thought. How about we all interact better with one another, then no one needs be banned. Remember, the Mods only act out when we do. Don't blame them, blame ourselves.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »

Here's a novel thought. How about we all interact better with one another, then no one needs be banned. Remember, the Mods only act out when we do. Don't blame them, blame ourselves.

Here's another thought:  if anyone feels like their temper is getting out of control....step away from the keyboard!  Read that angry post you just wrote one more time before you hit the button!  It's that easy!

And if you're just having a bad day....go listen to some Beach Boys music!
Jason
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »

For the record, we tried doing that for a while, and it was leading to a lot of situations where we couldn't even get a vote at the same time, given the fact that Billy, Klaas and myself are in three different time zones, with Klaas in Europe.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »

For the record, we tried doing that for a while, and it was leading to a lot of situations where we couldn't even get a vote at the same time, given the fact that Billy, Klaas and myself are in three different time zones, with Klaas in Europe.

You couldn't wait for, at worst, 12 hours to conduct a four person vote ?  Suspend the poster in question, hold the vote and then either reinstate or ban them. Advanced particle dynamics it ain't.  Grin

Also, in the interests of fairness, a few people have assumed my "three are, one isn't" post was aimed at TRBB. It wasn't.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx