gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:46:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goin' To The Beach  (Read 27524 times)
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2013, 04:59:11 PM »

This is actually pretty good... needs to be developed more but the chorus is catchy.

Brian or Carl should have done the "early in the morning..." verse since that part seems like it's out of Mike's comfortable range.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2013, 05:07:54 PM »

Okay maybe I wrote out the lyrics so I could slaughter it. If you don't know these by now I ain't gonna explain

Goin' To The Beach (Freddie): http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/goin-to-the-beach-freddie

However, that taught me how simple the song it. a second verse rather than the solo would have been preferable.

Wow, the missing centerpiece of Smile. Brilliant!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2013, 05:40:25 PM »

I think it's just because it's something new, simple as that.  They could have released a newly discovered 1976 recording of Brian instructing Dennis how to properly fart into a microphone and there'd be at least 7 pages worth of people praising its brilliance, intentional misspellings of Mike's name and people bitching about how the C50 tour ended.
For a track of Dennis farting there would be a thread of ~1.000 pages before sundown. I'd be contributing merrily, as well. Smiley

Hell, who am I kidding, I would be too.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »

Goddamnit, every day I wake up singing this song.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »

Goddamnit, every day I wake up singing this song.

I keep humming it too.

Damn you Mike!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »

I really like the drumming on this song, really punchy and energetic, loads of cool little things going on.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »

Well tomorrow I'm going to the beach.
Guess what song will be in my head all day...

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »

I bet Mike thought it was going straight to number 1..

He probably still does

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2013, 06:24:10 PM »

"Goin' To The Beach" is exactly what I expected it to be: a fun good-time song by Mike.  It's nothing revolutionary, but it ain't bad.  I'm surprised it never surfaced on any of the late 70's/early 80's albums. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2013, 12:00:53 PM »

the love/wilson team do it again. mike knocked it out of the park; he hasn't written a song this catchy since good vibrations
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »

"Goin' To Th eBeach" is written solely by Mike Love. It's from the "Keepin' The Summer Alive" sessions.

In Music,
David
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »

the love/wilson team do it again. mike knocked it out of the park; he hasn't written a song this catchy since good vibrations

Yeah Good Vibrations is still the best song Mike ever wrote, without outside help.
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »

"Goin' To Th eBeach" is written solely by Mike Love. It's from the "Keepin' The Summer Alive" sessions.

no one else assisted in arranging the song? mike should give brian co-writing credit. he's shown as a collaborator in the demo video.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »

no one else assisted in arranging the song? mike should give brian co-writing credit. he's shown as a collaborator in the demo video.
In ten years Brian will decide that he has been wronged and will sue Mike for due credit for chord changes made during the recording of the song. Brian will try to settle out of court, but Mike's lawyers convinced him Brian has no case. Brian receives millions, but at first only sought a pat a the back and a "Well done" from Mike. All reunite for a late 60 year reunion tour.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »

Brian was playing piano in a video, he clearly wrote the song.

Also, Mike said in the video that he was on his way home and started ad-libbing "Goin' to the beach, goin' to the beach", so he clearly wrote the song.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »

Also, Mike said in the video that he was on his way home and started ad-libbing "Goin' to the beach, goin' to the beach", so he clearly wrote the song.
huh? What does Brian playing it have to do with writing it?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2013, 01:00:26 AM »

huh? What does Brian playing it have to do with writing it?

That's the joke

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2013, 06:58:45 AM »

Brian added some of the music...I think that means co-writing.  Songs are more than just lyrics. 
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2013, 07:57:38 AM »

Well, I actually went to the beach with my baby this weekend.  I told her about the song on the drive over (as we listened to classic BBs, obvs), how it's kinda awful but also kinda good and catchy, then I couldn't help but sing it a little bit, then I played it on my iPhone, then I started singing other things in the same melody, and by the end of the day we both couldn't shake Goin' to the Beach.

Thanks a lot Mike.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2013, 07:58:36 AM »

In ten years Brian will decide that he has been wronged and will sue Mike for due credit for chord changes made during the recording of the song. Brian will try to settle out of court, but Mike's lawyers convinced him Brian has no case. Brian receives millions, but at first only sought a pat a the back and a "Well done" from Mike. All reunite for a late 60 year reunion tour.

I think Brian's already been to court over this one, to ensure he DOESN'T get any credit …  LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2013, 08:37:17 AM »

I finally realized what this sounds like, it sounds like an outtake from Mike Love's Celebration album!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »

I'm guessing Mr. Beard may have seen the actual liner notes, so it may be solely credited to Love. It is funny though, because it is indeed one of relative few BB songs where we have what is presumably actual film footage of the composition/recording of it, and Brian certainly seems to be contributing more than just playing piano. He is seen working out the arrangement of the song. Whether "arranging" a song heavily is actual "writing" is a debate that has been brewing for a loooong time of course in the music industry.

That film does seem to illustrate the limits of Mike (or anybody) being able to "write" a song on his own when he doesn't play an instrument. Some would argue that such a thing is virtually impossible, unless you Bobby McFerrin it out and vocalize everything (I recall reading supposedly Michael Jackson did something along those lines in writing some of his songs?). Having a group where everybody else plays instruments of course afforded Mike easy opportunity to get help, whether it constituted writing credit or not.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2013, 08:28:04 PM »

That film does seem to illustrate the limits of Mike (or anybody) being able to "write" a song on his own when he doesn't play an instrument. Some would argue that such a thing is virtually impossible, unless you Bobby McFerrin it out and vocalize everything (I recall reading supposedly Michael Jackson did something along those lines in writing some of his songs?). Having a group where everybody else plays instruments of course afforded Mike easy opportunity to get help, whether it constituted writing credit or not.

Well, we have someone on the board who writes songs without playing any instruments. And that's Swedish Frog, the only instrument he can play is clarinet.

What he does is come up with a melody, and then write lyrics that fit into it. Then, he hands it off to a collaborator who makes the arrangements and plays the instruments.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »

I've often told people, playing an instrument isn't really required for writing a song.

Writing is about creativity, and the ability to hear music in your head at a basic level.

Playing is about practice and or training.

Mike could totally write his own songs, alone.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »

Yeah, you can tell. Roll Eyes
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx