gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:49:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goin' To The Beach  (Read 27527 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:48:57 AM »

Given my anti-Mike sentiments in the past, it may suprise you to know that......

I really like this track. It's nice to hear Carl's voice, and (I presume) Brian pumping away at the piano. Not the most complex song they ever did, but not everything has to be a masterpiece.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:52:57 AM »

Good idea creating a separate thread for this song.

I like it. it's fun. Nothing remarkable, but fun.

As I said in the other thread, to my ears the guitar fills sound more recently recorded and actually sound like the guitar work on Do It Again (2012). So I am inclined to guess that Scott Totten's recent session at Ocean Way may have been to this end.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »

I think a separate thread for "Goin' To The Beach" is a good idea. I had thought about opening one up myself.

I think it's quite an enjoyable track. Sure - the lyrics are redundant, the track is by-the-numbers and there's actually nothing really new there - but on the other hand it's catchy and (guilty-pleasurely) corny and it rocked my world when walking to the University today in alleged 37°C. And at the end of the day, that's the minimum of what a Beach Boys song should do. I like it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:55:08 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »

So is the general consensus that the lead vocal is new?
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 07:59:17 AM »

I don't think the lead vocal is new. He sounds younger than on TWGMTR.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »

Lead vocal sound circa. 1979 to my ears.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:16:39 AM »

Most of it is pretty bland, except for the bits pinched from "Heartache Tonight" by the Eagles.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:21:34 AM »

Most of it is pretty bland, except for the bits pinched from "Heartache Tonight" by the Eagles.

Technically, wouldn't that be the other way around?  Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »

And yet, these are the songs Mike thinks will be hits due to "sticking to the formula"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nicko1234
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »

And yet, these are the songs Mike thinks will be hits due to "sticking to the formula"

I honestly don`t believe Mike is thinking Goin to the Beach will be a hit in 2013.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »

In 1979 he probably did since it was in that TV special.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:39:13 AM »

If this is considered one of the lesser of the unreleased songs on the box then I'm starting to get very excited.
Nicko1234
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 08:41:16 AM »

The one where he talked about it being dropped from the album you mean? Smiley

I don`t think it would have been a hit but it would have been a more commercial choice than Livin with a Heartache.

All of the biggest original hits that the group had from the 70s onwards are retro formula things. It`s OK, Almost Summer (if that counts), Getcha Back and Kokomo.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:42:28 AM »

If Mike was so confident it was going to be a hit, why did it go unreleased for so long?

I say this without knowing any of the history of the song.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »

All of the biggest original hits that the group had from the 70s onwards are retro formula things. It`s OK, Almost Summer (if that counts), Getcha Back and Kokomo.

There is nothing retro formula about Kokomo. It paints a bleak portrait of life as it really exists today in our inner cities.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:51:21 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 08:50:54 AM »

To tell you the truth I expected more from that song.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:00:12 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 09:04:16 AM »

I don`t think it would have been a hit but it would have been a more commercial choice than Livin with a Heartache.

You could certainly in include rock n roll music and come go with me in that list
Nicko1234
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »

You could certainly in include rock n roll music and come go with me in that list

If you include the covers certainly and Wipeout and the medley (obviously) can be added to the list.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 09:37:36 AM »

Can I ask anyone to please put to youtube or soundcloud?  angel
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:48 AM »

To tell you the truth I expected more from that song.
Why? LOL It was called "Goin' To The Beach" all along and it's a Mike song from 1979. Wink I, for my part, am pleasantly suprised.

And yes, that Mike lead vocal is definitely vintage.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 10:14:30 AM »

Given my anti-Mike sentiments in the past, it may suprise you to know that......

I really like this track. It's nice to hear Carl's voice, and (I presume) Brian pumping away at the piano. Not the most complex song they ever did, but not everything has to be a masterpiece.

Actually...Brian pumps away at the organ on this one! 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »

Heartache Tonight came out in 79.

The song's inoffensive fluff, like too much of their stuff from this period. What rankles with me is that we all know that there are better unreleased songs, but this particular one seems to turn up in interviews with Mike over the years like it's his fucking holy grail. I'd have rather had the early Big Sur (though I prefer the Holland version) as Mike's unreleased gem - or a live version of Country Pie if he wanted to showcase his then still decent rock'n'roll voice (and yeah, I know he didn't write it).

Tough, tough world.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »

Just heard it. Actually pretty good. Mike does sound really good on it - definitely a vintage vocal. Catchy. Didn't think I'd like it based on how M&B were doing it live. Pleasantly surprised.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »

You see, it was all a masterplan. He dropped the track so that 33 years later it could be used to promote a box set, cementing his vision of the band as a bunch of unartistic retrodinossaur squares.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 11:07:49 AM »

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx